Author Topic: Linx tablet/laptop  (Read 680 times)

Linx tablet/laptop
« on: 22 June, 2020, 11:30:19 am »
I recently purchased a Linx 12" Windows 10 tablet/laptop.  On paper the spec was better than my laptop, so I expected it to run smoothly.  I don't need a laptop for personal use but wanted something I could run SMART whiteboard software on to be able to deliver lessons remotely during lockdown.
It's had a 50% work rate, either freezing, stalling or deciding to install software upgrades half the time that I want to use it (limited one week sample though).  Half the time the touchscreen works fine with SMART, half the time it won't.  Today has taken the biscuit, it's crashed on trying to open Opera and won't respond to CTR-ALT-DEL.

I'm amazed that it struggles to do simple web browsing, let alone browsing+pdf reading at the same time.  Have I just been unlucky or should I go with my current rage and simply return it to the seller?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Linx tablet/laptop
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2020, 11:50:51 am »
Not surprised that's a really slow CPU (Intel Atom x5-Z8350 according to Google) and only 4Gb of RAM.
Nearly any proper laptop would run rings round it even one with a lowly Celeron N3160.

You could try reinstalling Windows on it without any of the bloatware that probably comes with it and tehn making sure all drivers are up to date. That might help.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Linx tablet/laptop
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2020, 12:11:27 pm »
I have been reasonably tight on the install, but I do need teams/office, pdf reader and SMART.  I have installed Opera as it's better than the microsoft explorer.

And it's just crashed again

4GB ram is more than my Win7 machine, is it a More's cost of Win10 that similar specs run slower?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace