31 (44.9%)
Just a few upgrades away
3 (4.3%)
Not sure what the dream bike is
15 (21.7%)
Not sure whether the dream bike exists
5 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Lusting after a dream bike or already have it?  (Read 8797 times)

onb

• Between jobs at present
Re: Lusting after a dream bike or already have it?
« Reply #25 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:56:22 am »
I have what is for me my dream I could upgrade the wheels and groupset but I think it would be a case of diminishiing returns as the bike and my abilities are probably worlds apart ,not with standing that I love it to bits .

« Reply #26 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:58:39 am »
I'd need a much better climate before getting my dream bike.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:01:49 am »
I'm an extremely happy bunny with this

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:05:00 am »
Nah - that's rubbish.  Where's the bananas? ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:08:21 am »
Are you holding the camera crooked, or is that subsidence?
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

Chris N

« Reply #30 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:17:30 am »
I'd like two Ti bikes: one of these with proper handlebars and one of these with fewer gears.

« Reply #31 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:29:19 am »
I think the thing is that it's a Dream Fleet to have in your shed.  One Dream Bike will never be enough...

Yup. On top of the changes I'd make above I'd also look for 2 more bikes:

a) TT bike (one of the Planet-X or Ribble ones will do, nothing crazy)
b) If I upgraded the geared Audax bike to a Ti frame I'd use the existing Steel frame to build a turbo trainer bike.

However, that's one bike too many (for current storage) and also a turbo is out of the question as I live in a 1st floor flat.

If anything, I lust after a garage more than another bike.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #32 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:33:10 am »
I've acquired my dream bike several times.  But then the grass is always greener in the next LBS, and something better always comes out just after I've bought the ultimate.

Another sort of "dream bike" is finding a unloved but fairly sound machine at the tip.  I'd like to get a 80s Merckx or similar this way.  Wouldn't that be fab?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:35:57 am »
Ask NSTN.  Her purple Eclipse came that way. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #34 on: 14 May, 2009, 12:02:54 pm »

Is that better?  ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 14 May, 2009, 12:06:08 pm »

iw00t!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ed_o_brain

« Reply #36 on: 14 May, 2009, 12:06:49 pm »
Dream fleet?

I think I'm only a geared road bike and a Brox overhaul away from that:

-Fast fixie
-Touring/winter fixie
-MTB-come-commuter (slick tyres/rack/mudguards)
-Hardtail MTB
-Folder

I envisaged that a geared roadbike would be exclusively for leisure rides and club runs - so a play thing really - I would probably end up only using it five or six times a year. When the matrimonial home sells, I was considering buying a nice stiff fast geared carbon fibre road bike but I realise that the cash I would/could have set aside to buy that with may now have to be spent on an infernally combusted four wheeled object.

So.. are entry level Carbon Fibre road bikes worth buying? (Around the £1000-12000 mark?).

Or will the dream have to wait?

Si

« Reply #37 on: 14 May, 2009, 12:11:38 pm »
I've acquired my dream bike several times.  But then the grass is always greener in the next LBS, and something better always comes out just after I've bought the ultimate.

Another sort of "dream bike" is finding a unloved but fairly sound machine at the tip.  I'd like to get a 80s Merckx or similar this way.  Wouldn't that be fab?

Yes, this is why a number of my fleet have been Skip-Bikes: no matter how much you spend on your super bike it's always going to be last year's model in no time at all.  My current all-rounder is the '91 Galaxy that i rescued from a skip trip - it might be a tad heavier than a modern tourer and have a few fewer gears, but TBO when it's all loaded up and rolling along it's hard to tell the difference. 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #38 on: 14 May, 2009, 12:14:27 pm »
I love my Felt Z35. The only thing I'd change on it is maybe fit some lighter wheels and a more comfortable saddle.

But it's not ideal for every situation, so I'd need a couple of other bikes for other needs. I love my Brompton (standard M3) but in an ideal world I'd swap it for a singlespeed Ti model with S bars, Brooks saddle and Schmidt dynohub. And a Ti audax bike would be lovely.

Jurek, can I have your bike?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #39 on: 14 May, 2009, 12:15:05 pm »

Is that better?  ;)

;D

Touché.

BTW: Yes, that's a nice bike.

« Reply #40 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:10:26 pm »
My Enigma should be my dream bike, I suppose. Let's see if I finally learn to like it.

I'd also like a utility fixed with rack, a folder, and a bling mountain bike. But I'll make do at the moment with soon-to-be-built Surly LHT. :)

Jakob

« Reply #41 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:31:44 pm »
Already got it.
Designed it myself, built the wheels, put it together and it rides like a dream apart from an annoying creaking noise from the saddle.
 Occasionally, I see other bikes and think 'that's nice', but then I look at my own and say 'but that's nicer still'.
Having said that, I may get a geared bike for some of the mountain runs here...

Hilldodger

Zoidburg

« Reply #43 on: 15 May, 2009, 02:36:14 pm »
Out of intrest I looked on the Mercian site to see what a replacement for the Lynx fixed gear would cost me

The closest to it was this

<<MERCIAN>>

I do need some new bits for it though and possibly a respray at some time in the next year or so.

« Reply #45 on: 16 May, 2009, 08:47:52 pm »
I built mine with that nice Mr Yates

It's being painted this week.
This is it compared to my current bike - there were quite lot of geometry tweaks.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #46 on: 17 May, 2009, 10:35:01 pm »
I would love a Vanilla, but there is now a 5 year wait which is just ridiculous. I have my dream XC MTB (Titus Motolite) at least. I would love: a fixie (preferably a project - I'll be starting next year) and an ice-bike (also one for when I move to Canadia...)

« Reply #47 on: 18 May, 2009, 12:08:37 am »
I tend to think the riding's the important thing, rather than the bike itself.   So my dream bike is whichever one I happen to be riding :D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #48 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:06:41 am »
My dream bike.
Would obviously be the lightest and most indestructible machine ever.
But besides that, it would have "Intelligent Geometry”.   It would sense my riding style at any given moment and automatically adjust/morph the geometry to any style between Relaxed and Tight & Aggressive.
It would always have exactly the gear inches I need for the job in hand.
The colour scheme would be random, but again, sensing my mood, it would always suit my humour of the moment.  Oh what joy to come down in the morning to discover today’s paint job and to realise that that was exactly how I felt today..
It would be theft proof.  Anyone touching it with evil intent would receive a jolt that would throw them five feet away, but it would understand the true bike lover who just wanted to caress its beautiful lines.  On sensing a true honest thinking admirer it would purr for them.
The self cleaning and re-lube system activated by my turning off my bedside light would increase the longevity of its kit, and of course upgrades would be automatically downloaded overnight as they became available.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #49 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:21:44 am »
POTD Basil!