Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 422017 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1850 on: 30 May, 2017, 02:38:35 pm »
This weekend was the Anfield 100, the first target of my year.  My goal: get under 4:14:33, to improve my qualifying time for the ECCA 100 in 3 weeks.  Then I got a cold and my Achilles tendons started playing up.  Feeling demotivated, I didn't force myself to bed in the nights before and did my usual night owl tricks instead.  The result of all this?

The bad: I failed.  I got 4:21:47, which put me at 31st [EDIT: 29th on the revised results] when I wanted to be top 20, and leaves me very tentative for the ECCA*.  I'd realistically hoped for 4:10 but never consistently got power or heart rate to where I wanted them.  I did manage to do fairly well to about 85 miles, then blew and loads of people came past me. 
The good: When I did the Anfield last year I quit at 50 miles, completely blown.  2016 was awful for me so this is the biggest sign so far that I'm doing better than I was.  I beat Jilko by four minutes (though she described her own ride as 'shite') and was about where Jasmijn would have been had she not gone off-route; I was just ahead of them both in the 2015 national 12, so hopefully I'm getting back to where I was. 

The uglyother: Adam Duggleby won with 3:31.  I now know how much slower I am over 100 miles than a paralympic gold medallist: 50 minutes!  The women's event was won by Becky Lewis in 4:12 - her other results are fairly similar to mine, [EDIT Not including her second place at the national hillclimb!]  suggesting I had the mediocre ride I suspected.  Oh well.

*What is it with the ECCA?!  In 2013 I got in with 4:46 whereas last year it closed on 4:09.  I guess this is after the organiser rejigged the course to remove the laney sections and make it a lot faster?  Anyway, if i don't get in, other life dates mean that I'll struggle to do a reasonably fast event for this year's BBAR: I might have to chance my luck on the BDCA at the end of August, with backups of travelling to either the Keswick or South Wales courses if I don't get in.  I don't really want to do either of those, so fingers crossed.

« Reply #1851 on: 30 May, 2017, 04:38:52 pm »
ITYM
Adam Duggleby won with 3:31.  I now know how much slower I am over 100 miles than a paralympic gold medallist: 50 minutes! 
A two-minute beating of Ryan Perry's fairly phenomenal course and event record from last year.  I suspect that the 100m comp record is going to take a battering this year...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1852 on: 30 May, 2017, 04:40:51 pm »
Indeed.  I think we're going to see the first 'official' 30mph 100 and, sad to say, I don't think it will be Richard Bideau.

rob

« Reply #1853 on: 30 May, 2017, 05:03:58 pm »
I think that's still a great ride, Greg.    As I understand it it's a tough course and it looks like the weather wasn't great either.   The fast guys just don't slow down so comparisons with mid-table rides is probably best.

Duggleby seems to be on fire this year and I've interested to see what he's over the longer distances.

I'm not sure why John is bandying about that the ECCA 100 closed on 4:09 last year as I got in with 4:10 and I wasn't a reserve.   With the new course it's probably on a par with Etwall for speed (note - I haven't ridden Etwall).   Apart from the first and last few 100 yards it's all fast DC, but also has a bloody early start - I had to get up at 2am last year.   I expect it to attract a full field this year.

I've entered the National and the EDCA, hoping my 4:06 gets me in.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1854 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:32:06 pm »
That's comforting, thanks. 

The day was alright actually: a bit of light rain early doors but nothing that body heat couldn't cope with; the wind never got up to much and we'd finished by the time it started bucketing it down in the early afternoon.

Oh, and on a forumite spotting note I apparently saw Byronius and shouted encouragement to him without ever knowing who he was - he just appeared as a big orange no. 38 looming up in front of me.

« Reply #1855 on: 31 May, 2017, 10:00:41 am »
Indeed.  I think we're going to see the first 'official' 30mph 100 and, sad to say, I don't think it will be Richard Bideau.
Sorry Greg, I also meant to say that 4:21 is not a ride to beat yourself up about.  I entered but didn't ride the Anfield in 2006, but I've done the 24 Hour and I know just how draggy those roads are - Duggleby's time is every bit as impressive as his recent 10m trike CR - and 4:21 is still pretty respectable.  It will have been good training, even if you didn't get the result you hope for.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1856 on: 31 May, 2017, 12:15:42 pm »
Well, the good news is that my ECCA entry has been accepted.  That means I (probably) don't have to trog round a 100 late in the season, 3 weeks afer I've killed myself in a 12 hour  :thumbsup:

rob

« Reply #1857 on: 31 May, 2017, 02:24:24 pm »
Well, the good news is that my ECCA entry has been accepted.  That means I (probably) don't have to trog round a 100 late in the season, 3 weeks afer I've killed myself in a 12 hour  :thumbsup:

Enjoy.   My 25, 50 & 100 PBs were all done on the E2.   It's consistently fast but, according to the locals, usually a bit faster with a light North-Westerly as there's quite a lot of shelter as you head North.   

I couldn't fit it in this year as I have my 12hr the weekend before and we have gig tickets for the Saturday night.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #1858 on: 31 May, 2017, 08:56:58 pm »
Well my entry was also accepted but because I am slower than the cut off I guess I am a reserve.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1859 on: 01 June, 2017, 04:06:47 pm »
The start sheet is out.  I'm third reserve, you're ninth.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #1860 on: 01 June, 2017, 09:44:40 pm »
The start sheet is out.  I'm third reserve, you're ninth.
I reckon  that'll get me a ride, let's hope for enough early notice DNSs so we aren't left on tenterhooks until the last minute!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1861 on: 04 June, 2017, 01:28:43 pm »
Just back from the Scottish National 25. Won in what may well be a new Scottish record by John Archibald in 47:55. New old course on the A90 from Forfar to Brechin.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rob

« Reply #1862 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:28:59 am »
Subject to verification, I think I did just over 276m in yesterday's Newbury 12hr.   Started out fast but the rising wind took it's toll.   I felt a bit dodgy mid way through and backed off a little.   I think it was warmer than expected.

Looks like the Arctic took the team record by a smidge after Mike had a few technical issues.   Some of the top contenders (Bideau, Harrison, Jillco) dropped out to fight another day.

2 races left.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1863 on: 12 June, 2017, 12:30:35 pm »
Well done, that's a fantastic result.  All your hard work is paying off.

rob

« Reply #1864 on: 14 June, 2017, 03:38:09 pm »
Just been accepted into the National 100 in a few weeks time.   This will be interesting.    Same road just used on the 12hr (5 * 20m lap) so back over the ruts repeatedly again.   

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #1865 on: 14 June, 2017, 07:29:16 pm »
The bar must be low, they've let me race too!

(I chanced an entry after the KCA 12hr was cancelled)

See you after the finish!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1866 on: 14 June, 2017, 08:51:59 pm »
Lower than the ECCA anyway!  That event currently has five dropouts so you've got another four to go.

P.S. Rob, you're probably on to win the long distance BAR at this rate. 

rob

« Reply #1867 on: 14 June, 2017, 10:30:05 pm »
Lower than the ECCA anyway!  That event currently has five dropouts so you've got another four to go.

Think wheelsoffire will win.  The only reason I got 2nd last year was because none of the top 24hr finishers did a 12.

« Reply #1868 on: 18 June, 2017, 07:28:52 pm »
How did you get on today, folks?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1869 on: 18 June, 2017, 08:18:56 pm »
I DNF'd after the first lap.

I borrowed some gels from Pedal Castro and went looking for his car at the HQ to give them back but I couldn't see it.  Either I was being post-TT stupid (quite possible), he'd just set a new comp record (PC is your real name Adam Duggleby?) or else he quit too.

Adam Duggleby and Alice Lethbridge set new men's and women's comp records with 3:16 and 3:42 respectively.  GS Metro set a team comp record and several* men went under the old record - and the organiser reckons that it wasn't  actually that good a day!

[ETA five men - including Richard Bideau who did the exact same time as his disallowed comp record from two years ago.  I joked with him before the start about doing that - I didn't know he'd take me so seriously!]

Pedal Castro

« Reply #1870 on: 18 June, 2017, 09:58:37 pm »
I punctured just before the far turn at about 12 miles, latex tube just went bang for no reason! I put in my get home spare then promptly hit a pothole and punctured again. I did get some great photos though.

« Reply #1871 on: 19 June, 2017, 12:10:23 pm »
Tough luck, fellas! :(

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1872 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:50:32 pm »
I punctured just before the far turn at about 12 miles, latex tube just went bang for no reason! I put in my get home spare then promptly hit a pothole and punctured again. I did get some great photos though.
Perhaps you should have been watching the road instead?

IGMC ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1873 on: 19 June, 2017, 04:18:54 pm »

Think wheelsoffire will win.  The only reason I got 2nd last year was because none of the top 24hr finishers did a 12.

You got 2nd because you did some great rides - and Victor is a very strong beast. I don't know but i would guess his was one of the best overall averages in that competition. I'm not sure if Andy ever did a 12 and 24 in the same season... I reckon you'll be closer to Victor this year, best of luck to both of you.

After the Newbury/ECCA double header I now have a few weeks off before the Shaftesbury/Mersey double.

rob

« Reply #1874 on: 19 June, 2017, 04:21:00 pm »

You got 2nd because you did some great rides - and Victor is a very strong beast. I don't know but i would guess his was one of the best overall averages in that competition. I'm not sure if Andy ever did a 12 and 24 in the same season... I reckon you'll be closer to Victor this year, best of luck to both of you.

After the Newbury/ECCA double header I now have a few weeks off before the Shaftesbury/Mersey double.

Thanks, but my 12hr was poor last year, just managing over evens.   

Great rides last 2 weekends, Mike.   See you in Shropshire in a few weeks.