Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 408932 times)

alan

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #525 on: 09 July, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »
Consult the CTT's list of affiliated clubs if you want to compete. There's generally a choice of clubs in any locality - you don't have to join the nearest.
Thanks for that:very usefull.
I realise that membership of any affiliated club would suffice, but......

why can I not try 2 or 3 sessions before I commit to joining a club?...that's the crux of the issue.
Most other clubs of other sports/past-times allow it.

How many free goes exactly do you think you should be entitled to? I imagine it takes a fair bit of effort and commitment by volunteers to put on these events. Clubs don't have much money and it seems fair to spend a small amount of money on membership to take part in club events.

More than one.
I understand your comment relating to club logistics.
Equally,I don't have much money & wish to be certain that I would continue TT-ing before I throw £70-ish at some aero bars.
Moreover I don't feel entitled to any free rides.I did make the point that I paid the ride fee plus a little more for temp. insurance. the previous week when a different club were marshalling the event.

alan

« Reply #526 on: 09 July, 2009, 01:16:28 pm »
Again, must depend on where you ride and with which club...

Sums it up neatly.
I'll have a trawl through Ian's CTT link to see which other local clubs are affiliated.

« Reply #527 on: 09 July, 2009, 01:18:25 pm »

Equally,I don't have much money & wish to be certain that I would continue TT-ing before I throw £70-ish at some aero bars.
Moreover I don't feel entitled to any free rides.I did make the point that I paid the ride fee plus a little more for temp. insurance. the previous week when a different club were marshalling the event.

Many of our riders don't use dedicated TT bikes. As for temp insurance, I suspect the club is on dodgy ground there. I don't believe the CTT deals in temporary insurance.

alan

« Reply #528 on: 09 July, 2009, 01:27:51 pm »
I don't believe the CTT deals in temporary insurance.

mmmm,that's interesting.

I wonder if the "previous week" club may have done everyone involved a dis-service in an attempt to be helpfull.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #529 on: 09 July, 2009, 01:49:00 pm »
Join the Clarion! ;)

Even better, join (refers to CTT affiliations):

North (L)

National Clarion CC 1895 (North Lancs Union)

C A Jepson

01254 51302

It's £2.00
Getting there...

gonzo

« Reply #530 on: 09 July, 2009, 01:57:58 pm »

Many of our riders don't use dedicated TT bikes. As for temp insurance, I suspect the club is on dodgy ground there. I don't believe the CTT deals in temporary insurance.

I think that CTT has 3rd party insurance for TTs.

« Reply #531 on: 09 July, 2009, 02:01:39 pm »
why can I not try 2 or 3 sessions before I commit to joining a club?...that's the crux of the issue.
Most other clubs of other sports/past-times allow it.
You can.  Look through the listings of club timetrials (not opens) by the local clubs.  If you find "Come and try it" events you are in luck.  These are specially nominated events to try to attract the general public and other non-club riders to give time trialling a go.  They are usually over short distances, sometimes even less than 10 miles, because they are for the general population.

Some CTC "local groups" are CTT affiliated, so if you are a CTC member of one of those groups you are already covered.

Special equipment is not "needed" to ride time trials.  Unless you are quick it is probably a waste of money except for your personal satisfaction.

Your extra fee for temporary insurance was probably not that.  It was almost certainly a fee for temporary membership of the club which then automatically gives you the CTT insurance for the event.

alan

« Reply #532 on: 10 July, 2009, 08:17:17 pm »
While reading the website of the club who would not allow me to ride their TT the other night I see that it states..
"day membership is available" relating to TT-ing.

I have sent an e-mail to the club's Time Trialing secretary via the link therein advising him of the events of the other night asking him to clarify the club's policy because of the confusion arising from the content of the website.
I look forward to a reply,the content of which will influence my thinking with regard to pursueing any more TT-ing.

« Reply #533 on: 10 July, 2009, 09:07:58 pm »
The Wednesday evening 10 was horrible. A gusty wind that seemed to hit in both directions. nobody got under 24; I managed 25.13.

We'll see what Sunday's 25 is like.

« Reply #534 on: 11 July, 2009, 11:02:23 am »
Summer is coming and going fast, isn't it?

next Thursday will be my last TT of 2009 around the Salt Ayre cycle track. It's not the last of the series but holidays in August and LEL will get in the way. :)

Finish on a high hopefully... then it's hill climbs early September.

gonzo

« Reply #535 on: 11 July, 2009, 06:34:46 pm »

My first tri bars came 2nd hand from this forum for about £30. Look for something second hand and you can go cheaper quite easily.

Also, just checking, but do you have carbon bars?

alan

« Reply #536 on: 11 July, 2009, 06:42:13 pm »

No

« Reply #537 on: 11 July, 2009, 08:19:48 pm »

No

Just ride your normal road bike, on the drops, body as low as possible, and see what you can do.

Oh, and keep your elbows in.

gonzo

« Reply #538 on: 11 July, 2009, 08:20:43 pm »
No
That's good - carbon bars and clip-ons don't play nicely together!

« Reply #539 on: 11 July, 2009, 09:01:54 pm »
Have entered the Clubs Open 10 TT event next Saturday on the U7b !
As long as I can beat my Vets standard time (25:54) I will be happy  ;)

My first Open 10 TT today, rode it in 25:16, 38 faster than my Vet. satandard  ;D

A straight course on the A38 approx halfway between Bristol and Gloucester, with the halfway turn being the Slimbridge roundabout. A fairly brisk tailwind took us up to the turn, and my average speed was proving that I was being wind assisted, however on heading south the first mile or so I really slowed, I then found a comfortable rhythm and was able to keep going at a fairly good pace !

The winning time was 21:17  :o  The top 5 riders were within 18 seconds of each other.

It was good to see 8 Juniors competing in the GHS West Dist. Championship with the fastest time being 23:37.

« Reply #540 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:48:25 pm »
1.01.15 this morning. What are the chances of under the hour this season, I wonder.

« Reply #541 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:36:11 pm »
1.01.15 this morning. What are the chances of under the hour this season, I wonder.

Just find a fast course/motorway and keep entering until you get a float night.

alan

« Reply #542 on: 13 July, 2009, 03:52:05 pm »
While reading the website of the club who would not allow me to ride their TT the other night I see that it states..
"day membership is available" relating to TT-ing.

I have sent an e-mail to the club's Time Trialing secretary via the link therein advising him of the events of the other night asking him to clarify the club's policy because of the confusion arising from the content of the website.
I look forward to a reply,the content of which will influence my thinking with regard to pursueing any more TT-ing.

I have received a very equitable reply from the Club Secretary.So much so that I may join the club which would make the issue a non-issue of course.

« Reply #543 on: 13 July, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

Just find a fast course/motorway and keep entering until you get a float night.

I'd spend much more time travelling to and fro than actually riding them. I might see what's on later in August once I've got the long one out of the way.

« Reply #544 on: 13 July, 2009, 06:36:08 pm »
Entered a local 50 yesterday. Haven't seen the results yet, probably around about 2 hrs 15, including getting stopped at some temporary lights (again). Lumpy sort of course, especially the few miles leading in and out of the turn.

I'm having a bit of trouble negotiating stairs today.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #545 on: 14 July, 2009, 03:22:52 pm »
I'd spend much more time travelling to and fro than actually riding them. I might see what's on later in August once I've got the long one out of the way.

What long one would that be?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #546 on: 14 July, 2009, 03:32:18 pm »
I think he might be going for a PB on a 1400. Here's hoping for 4 float nights!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #547 on: 14 July, 2009, 04:12:55 pm »
I think he might be going for a PB on a 1400. Here's hoping for 4 float nights!

Nope. The shorter one with more marshals and fewer controls.

« Reply #548 on: 15 July, 2009, 11:13:52 pm »
24.26. Best this year. One person squeezed in just under 23.

« Reply #549 on: 16 July, 2009, 01:04:20 pm »
New lifetime PB for me last night of 24:56.  I think there's probably more in the bag, as I lost 5-10 secs to traffic, there was a fair bit of wind and my legs weren't feeling great.  The new disc wheel is certainly helping a bit.  Wondering about having an excursion to a dual carriageway somewhere before the end of the season to see what I could do on a faster course.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...