Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 418049 times)

annie

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #150 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:48:15 pm »
Thanks guys. 

I haven't been able to get out as Mr A announced he was going to the office >:(  Instead I did a 50 minute Spinervals session (cut down to 40) to miss out on the last ten minutes of squats etc.  Lean and Mean Intervals.  Now dripping over the floor.  I know it isn't the same as going outside but I haven't got any choice with JC in bed ill.  I am sure it will help me, please tell me it will.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #151 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:39:14 pm »
The only person I've ever seen mocked at a time trial was the guy who'd won the event consistently for the last 2 years and who did a bad time at the same time that someone else did a good one!

Annie; you'll be fine. You're only racing yourself anyhow!

Or turning up with a 4K bike and being beaten by a youth on a halfords special..

It is like any group. You have to be part of the crowd before they take the piss. Until that time you get encouragement and friendlyness, usually afterwards rather than before though.

Enjoy! Though I spent the first part of yesterdays wishing I hadn't entered.. but I'm glad I did now.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #152 on: 19 June, 2008, 07:38:13 am »
A sub 24 minute 10 on a regular road bike with regular road kit!

Nice one Gonzo  8) :thumbsup:

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #153 on: 19 June, 2008, 08:43:17 am »
A sub 24 minute 10 on a regular road bike with regular road kit!

Would that be your Omega special with Zipp 606 and 808? Hardly regular road kit ;-)

Still a fantastic time though.

« Reply #154 on: 19 June, 2008, 08:50:42 am »
The tighter one Annie. More aerodynamic!

If tightness is the key then it should be my tri-suit with my 'Skins' top :)

I feel hot suddenly...

Whenever I go, without much specific training, the chit-caht at the beginning and end, the 26-27' effort on my fixed etc. all make it a great time out.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

gonzo

« Reply #155 on: 19 June, 2008, 09:22:47 am »
Turns out that it was just over 24 minutes. I thought the finish was somewhere else and so I ended up sitting up for the last timed 50 meters. Bah.

Would that be your Omega special with Zipp 606 and 808? Hardly regular road kit ;-)

Nope, it was the Engima and it was with regular 28 spoke box section wheels. I even had a regular helmet on and gloves!

Tell you what though, the wrists hurt like hell holding the Millar-special TTing without bars position!

annie

« Reply #156 on: 19 June, 2008, 09:45:33 am »
The tighter one Annie. More aerodynamic!

If tightness is the key then it should be my tri-suit with my 'Skins' top :)

I feel hot suddenly...

Whenever I go, without much specific training, the chit-caht at the beginning and end, the 26-27' effort on my fixed etc. all make it a great time out.

It makes me feel a bit hot as well ;)

« Reply #157 on: 19 June, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »
This may of already been discussed !

I am hoping to ride my first Time Trial next week - 10 mile with Severn Road Club, which starts approx 15 miles from my home, so cycling there should be a good warm up !

Are there any other suggestions / tips, members could give me . Ta

gonzo

« Reply #158 on: 19 June, 2008, 09:04:48 pm »
Dinamo;
1) know where the finish is (this cost me dearly on Tuesday night)
2) don't give it everything from the word go. Do the first 30 secs har, but not your hardest. Once you get past this point, get to your pain threshold then hold it for the next XX minutes.
3) Bottle on the seat tube, none on the downtube. It's the most aerodynamic configuration.

More adanced (for subsequent times):
4) If you're not one of the first three off, check what time they leave and then calculate the time you leave based on when they left. Alternatively, check the time keeper's watch.
5) The best warmup; start 5.5 minutes before you're off. 1 min spinning, 30 secs race pace. Repeat 3 times in total. Get to the start 2 mins before you're due to leave.

Most of all though, just enjoy. People are friendly before and after so just chat to some people.

(PS. new PB for the year; 23.11 on a slow night. Although I was on the TT bike, I still only had box sections)

« Reply #159 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:16:11 pm »
Date / Distance / Course type / Weather conditions / Bike ridden / Time

19/6 / 10Mi / Country, one bump, poor surface / Nice, windy finish / Track fixed, 42x16 / 27:03 (fastest riders in the 24:20ish I think)

Not bad for a return after over two months away without any specific fast training. I plan to move to a 75'' next week and then to an 80''. That should help as I was running out of gear for most of the course. I am pleased with the way I paced myself though. I think I gave whatever was available considering how I struggled home!

annie

« Reply #160 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:17:31 pm »
Date           Distance         Course type         Weather conditions         Bike ridden            Time

19/6           10Mi      Country, one bump, poor surface     Nice, windy finish   Track fixed, 42x16     27:03 (fastest riders in the 24:20ish I think)

Not bad for a return after over two months away without any specific fast training. I plan to move to a 75'' next week and then to an 80''. That should help as I was running out of gear for most of the course. I am pleased with the way I paced myself though. I think I gave whatever was available considering how I struggled home!

Well done Frenchie. :thumbsup:

« Reply #161 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:20:04 pm »
I enjoyed it; in particular as I was eating my bowl of pasta afterwards! But also whilst riding, if I am honest.

Now enjoying a sorbet...  O:-)

David Martin

« Reply #162 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:30:16 pm »

More adanced (for subsequent times):
4) If you're not one of the first three off, check what time they leave and then calculate the time you leave based on when they left. Alternatively, check the time keeper's watch.

And note when they say ' there are lots of you tonight, we may start early' though they tend to be good about giving you a proper start..

5) The best warmup; start 5.5 minutes before you're off. 1 min spinning, 30 secs race pace. Repeat 3 times in total. Get to the start 2 mins before you're due to leave.

No. Warm up first, then do that as a pre race conditioning. Take at least 20 mins just pootling level one/two to get the blood happily working through the legs. A few short stints of faster (level 4 or so for a few minutes) and more spinning. A good half hour is the minimum (though the time to ride out there counts)

Most of all though, just enjoy. People are friendly before and after so just chat to some people.

Absolutely. It is supposed to be fun.

The apprentice (youth A) pulled out a short 24 on Tuesday for a ten, then did a 2 last night for his first 25. On a standard Trek 1200 with a pair of clip on bars.

..d

gonzo

« Reply #163 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:54:07 pm »
On a standard Trek 1200 with a pair of clip on bars.

Hey, that's what I started out on. Did a PB that lasted for 3 years! It's also the only bike that I've ever won a road race on after accidentally breaking away!

David Martin

« Reply #164 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:22:20 pm »
On a standard Trek 1200 with a pair of clip on bars.

Hey, that's what I started out on. Did a PB that lasted for 3 years! It's also the only bike that I've ever won a road race on after accidentally breaking away!

But could you do a long 23 on one now? And he is only just 16. A year ago he was a very podgy lump who had decided he liked riding a bike and everyone dropped himin all the races. Now he kicks their butts (and those of seniors on far better kit). He'll be riding Junior in the RRs next season - interesting to watch.

..d

« Reply #165 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:32:02 pm »
Some of the times in this thread are seriously depressing me :(

gonzo

« Reply #166 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:33:22 pm »
Yeah, the PB was 23.56! I was 18 admitadely, but if he's 16 then he's definately one to watch!

Some of the times in this thread are seriously depressing me :(

Don't worry, we all started somewhere. My first 10 was a 30.04!

« Reply #167 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:41:35 pm »
I ride a 15 year old Reynolds 500 steel track frame, with regular wheels on Gatorskin tyres. I love it though. You don't need an all singing and dancing bike to have fun and get competitive...

« Reply #168 on: 20 June, 2008, 12:13:37 am »

Mine was a 29.45. My fastest is a 23.42. These days I usually do a 30 on a slightly sporting course.

It's not where I started or where I've been, it's where I am now that you are depressing me about...

David Martin

« Reply #169 on: 20 June, 2008, 08:48:02 am »

Mine was a 28.17 set in 1991.
I only beat it last week.

..d

« Reply #170 on: 20 June, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice - I will let you know my time.

I'll be riding a steel Colombus framed Peugeot Performance !

David Martin

« Reply #171 on: 20 June, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice - I will let you know my time.

I'll be riding a steel Colombus framed Peugeot Performance !

'fast enough'. times are personal, and relevant to you. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that some go faster than me.. and a very few go slower...

..d

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #172 on: 25 June, 2008, 10:07:02 pm »
Date             Distance/Time         Course type       Weather conditions            Bike ridden               

05/07/06           10mls/26.39    Rolling  Q10/26        cleardry             Raleigh 76" gear
12/07/06            10 mls/25.38      rolling Q10/26      clear dry           Raleigh 86" gear
21-22/07/07   24hr TT/334           rolling                   cold drizzle       Lambert 72" gear
15/08/07            10mls/26.45       rolling Q10/26      clear dry           Lambert 72" gear
30/03/08             9mls/29.37        Hillyish Qs/30        wet                  Lambert 79" gear 
[/size]

20/04/08           10mls/28.42    Hillyish Q10/3      dry and cold    Lambert 79" gear

26/04/08          10mls/27.09      rolling Q10 /22   warm & sunny  Lambert 76" gear

25/06/08        10mls/27.24        rolling  Q10/26     hot/windy        Lambert 76" gear

Very warm but also quite windy I was dissapointed not to beat 27 mins but will try again soon with a bigger gear  :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #173 on: 25 June, 2008, 11:53:23 pm »
Have just finished to put a 79'' on mine for tomorrow and should beat 27' unless the weather's poor.

Last week it was a bit windy and I did 27'03'' (42X16) on a course (our club course) including a bump and a junction (stop), so there's hope!

« Reply #174 on: 26 June, 2008, 06:01:19 pm »
First TT of the year for me last night.  The course was the fastest of the club 10 routes locally, which is still a little on the lumpy side.  It was very blustery with strong winds coming off of the sea out towards the return leg of the TT.

I went off first as I had to get to a meeting shortly after.  Riding sans computer at the moment and given the choice of aerodynamic position on my TT bike or bonkers lightweight and stiff on my bling road bike, decided to go for the latter, not least because it just needed a quick saddle & post change to be ready to go.

I screwed up the gearing on the start and was pushing such a big gear that I pulled a wheelie for the first few metres.  Forcing the legs around, the lungs were soon burning and I noticed ~ 190 bpm on the HRM.  Backed off a fraction, but kept forcing the pedals around in a slightly higher gear and lower candence than is truly comfortable.  Lost a couple of secs taking the only right turn of the course, as there were supporters in the road and didn't fancy an off.  Powered over a slight rise, then pedalled hard to the turn point.  Got there with 13 minutes elapsed, about where I had mentally targetted, but fluffed the U-turn at the far end, which was marked with a flag rather than the usual marshall standing in the road to turn around.  Also locked up the back wheel (combination of the wrong-way around US brake setup and wariness over a head on car which eventually let me go).  Powered back with the wind blustering against me.  Must have been a good 2 minutes until I passed my minute man, so 4 in real terms.

A clean turn at the junction with the main road and I was full-on into the wind.  Dug deep and tried to keep the intensity at or about red line.  I managed to stay on the drops pretty much all the way, staying there for the odd bits of standing needed to maintain pedal speed.  Could extrapolate from the time at around 20 mins that I was on for a 27ish, but kept digging deep and powered up the final drag before things flatten off towards the finish.  I opted for a seated grind, as the lungs didn't feel up to an out of the saddle explosion.

Once things flattened out, I dropped 2-3 cogs at the back and kicked hard for the line, which as ever took an eternity to arrive.  The score on the board was 27:26.  My course PB is 26:11, but given the wind and the lack of anaerobic work I've done this year, together with the fact that I spend too much time rowing instead of cycling I was quite pleased with this.

I don't have much by the way of stats, as the bike is sans computer at the moment, but my HRM is one of the fancy type that analyse training effect via the gap between pulses (the proprietary name for this is EPOC analysis).  The plot below shows HR on top and training effect below.  Level 5 is defined as over-reaching training effect, but I take that with a pinch of salt as I've always ridden 10s flat-out.  On the face of it, I went off the boil a little at around 22 minutes, but other than that fairly steady.  Have also included the stats, but take the average with a pinch of salt as I was tardy in stopping the clock.

Think I should be on for a new PB this year if I can find a little time for cycling over rowing...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...