Author Topic: Bike storage up high  (Read 1058 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Bike storage up high
« on: 06 December, 2019, 06:05:24 pm »
Somewhere on here I'm fairly sure someone put up details of a home made bike storage thing using pulleys and light inextensible string, so that the bike could  be hung from the ceiling.

OK, pulleys and string, it probably wasn't light and inexstensible.

Any ideas?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Bike storage up high
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2019, 06:16:20 pm »
I looked into this previously, and then found some kits on sale for something v cheap - a tenner or something - at a Halfords or wherever. Pretty sure eBay will have similar. (Edit: it does, as does Halfords: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/mottez-bike-lift-pulley-system ). It worked fine, and on a time/money basis I concluded that unless you want to fine-tune the mechanical advantage and/or are concerned about aesthetics, then the kits are the easiest option. Otherwise, get thee to a chandler's?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2019, 06:20:19 pm »
I looked into this previously, and then found some kits on sale for something v cheap - a tenner or something - at a Halfords or wherever. Pretty sure eBay will have similar. (Edit: it does, as does Halfords: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/mottez-bike-lift-pulley-system ). It worked fine, and on a time/money basis I concluded that unless you want to fine-tune the mechanical advantage and/or are concerned about aesthetics, then the kits are the easiest option. Otherwise, get thee to a chandler's?
That looks rather nifty. Thanks.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2019, 06:29:03 pm »
I got two from Lidladdle, they are great but...

the string can pop off the pulley wheels, which is a pain.
check the height, if the ceiling isn’t tall enough, there won’t be enough clearance underneath
the hooks can require ingenuity to hang the bikes off
the string needs somewhere to go when the bikes are up, there’s quite a lot of string

but they are a great solution...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2019, 10:13:14 pm »
They are great. I used to use one to hang a tandem in my garage