Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 197623 times)

Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #600 on: 06 July, 2016, 02:39:06 pm »
Thanks to everyone involved in what turned out to be an epic weekend. I think the adjective 'epic' has been overused in relation to some bike rides but if this didn't qualify I don't know what does.

However as one of those who failed to complete this ride, whilst my body is still recovering from the battering it took (slept in until 10 o'clock this morning ; bliss!),  I like to analyse what went wrong and what I could have done differently to change the outcome.

Firstly preparation ; did I 'train' sufficiently for the ride. Although I was a regular audaxer for about 10 years,completing about 150 events including 2 SR series, in the last 5 years I have concentrated on more competitive cycling mostly LVRC road racing. As such, my training is aimed at being able to go quite fast for 2 hours rather than quite slowly for 24 hrs. However I completed the MC1K 2 years ago on a similar strategy and I don't think it contributed to my failure this time.   

However my audax bike (Van Nicholas Yukon) is now 10 years old and, whilst some components have obviously been replaced, the main Campag groupset is still largely intact. The wheels were replaced about 7 years ago as the original rims wore out and there were replaced with Mavic Open Pro CD which has a ceramic coating which still  seems to be in relatively good condition with only a few chips in it. 
My ride started to go pear-shaped at Lancaster when my rear tyre deflated with a loud hiss as we waited at the traffic lights on the one way system. Once I removed the inner tube, I could see that the hole was on the inner side of the tube so was caused by a spoke coming through rather than road debris and it didn't take long to spot the culprit.
New rim rape was needed (although I did carry some insulating tape so could have bodged a repair if necessary) ; luckily a branch of Leisure Lakes was only 50m away so I wheeled my bike over and explained the situation. The workshop was quite busy so I waited a little while for the mechanic to sort out my wheel.
Whilst he was doing this, another MP rider came in with a problem. His bike had a 'clicking' sound that needed further investigation. The mechanic diagnosed a problem with the rear derailleur and fitted a new cable and re-indexed the gears.
I later saw the same rider at Arnside where he had discovered for himself that the click was caused by a cracked rim. I last saw him heading to Kendal, hoping he could get a new wheel.

Meanwhile my wheel was back on the bike and pumped back up to 100psi using the shop's track pump (so much easier than the pump I carry on the bike!) However whilst I was paying for the work, the tyre deflated. My 'new' spare inner tube wasn't holding pressure. Reflecting that it was probably one of a batch I had bought at a cycle jumble ( 3 for £5) I decided to replace it with new tube from the shop (3 for £10). On hindsight, the cycle jumble inner tubes may have been a false economy as I had now lost about 40 minutes by the time I was rolling again.
To try to make up time, I didn't stop for food at Arnside and relied on the energy bars I carried instead. I arrived at Whinlatter about 4.30pm which was back on my original schedule. However I was shaking and felt quite rough ; this wasn't helped by the cafe being really hot. When my sandwich arrived I had no appetite but knew I needed to eat something so forced it down. Meanwhile, the rain outside was torrential and I suppose the combination of my weakened state and the weather just got to me and I decided that I should head straight back to Askrigg rather than attempt the loop to the coast and the climbs of Hardknott & Wrynose.
Most of the other riders had already left the cafe as I slunk out and turned left back down Whinlatter. Ironically I felt a lot better a bit later and berated myself for giving up too easily but in light of what was to come on Day 2 I suspect I made the right decision.     

Once I had accepted that I was DNF, I relaxed and enjoyed the ride back down the A591. No time pressure and even the weather had improved. I stopped off for a pint at Sedbergh just as the second half of Wales v. Belgium started and was able to celebrate their success and it was good to do something 'normal' for a while. Meanwhile I had a bike ride to complete so got going again in good spirits and finished well before midnight which allowed me the luxury of almost 3 hours sleep.

Back out on the road by 5.30am on day 2, I was under no illusions that it was going to be a hard day as the weather forecast was for frequent heavy showers again and we had 360km to complete compared to 284km on day 1 (although we were starting a lot earlier).
My ride started OK but as I approached Kielder the weather got worse and I sheltered under a tree for 15 minutes during another torrential shower with another rider. When I got going again, I was cold and so when I saw a sign for a tearoom just off the route in the village of Simonburn, I diverted up a flooded lane to the comfort of the tearoom.
5 mtb'ers were already there and the owners seemed used to needs of wet cyclists as fresh towels were offered as well a brew.
Fortified by both a hot drink and dry socks (although they didn't stay dry for long) I slogged into the head wind towards the control at Kielder where I arrived about 3pm. I saw my fellow Derby Mercury clubmate Mark and expressed my concern about being able to complete the section over to Lockerbie as it was obvious the conditions were going to be tough.
As it turned out I wasn't the only one having doubts but I suppose it helped that I didn't have anything to gain by completing the full distance as I had already packed on day 1.
On this basis, I headed straight on at Newcastleton and cruised at a relatively leisurely pace back down the A7/A6 through Carlisle and Penrith where I headed to the McD's by the station just as another heavy shower passed over.
I wasn't sure what distance my short cut had missed out by guessed it was about 45-50km which meant my ride was still going to be just short of 200 miles (sorry about the mixed units). The light was fading as I approached Kirby Stephen at about 10:45pm so I just had time for a pint before closing time. This time I watched the penalty shoot-out between Italy and Germany which went on a bit (9 spot kicks each) before the Germans won.
Finally getting going again about 11.10pm, I was joined by 3 riders (Martin Lucas, Ray Robinson & John (?) as I waited at the traffic lights.
I had to decide quickly whether the advantages of riding in a group at night outweighed the extra effort I knew I would have to make to keep up with them.
I decided to give it a go as there was only 20 miles left and I could always drop back if the effort was too much.       
I think pride kicked in as I managed to hang on (just) and we rolled in to Askrigg at 12:30am but I was shattered. How do these guys keep that sort of speed up for so long?!

For me day 3 was a truncated version of the route, starting later at 9am after helping out at breakfast and turning off at Stokesley to ride along Ryedale before rejoining at Helmsley. Mostly enjoyable except for the slog along the A170 between Helmsley and Thirsk and I arrived back at 7:50pm with the intention of helping out with the evening meals. However I had time for a quick pint as I was told the HQ would be shut until 8pm.
I stopped at a pub lower down the main street but while I was supping my pint was told by one of the locals that there were some other cyclists at the Crown up the hill.
I switched pubs and sure enough a group of other MP riders were just tucking in to their meals. I think they were some of the riders who had packed on day 2 and had found accommodation in the Newcastleton/Langholm area and had spent the day riding back. By now I reckoned the centre would be open so, declining the offer of a drink, I rolled back to Low Mill to check in.
However, with the reduced numbers of riders still going and the large spread between their arrivals, my assistance in the kitchen was unnecessary so I was clear to pop back to the pub to enjoy another pint or two.
After a thoroughly convivial evening, I got to bed relatively early after promising to help out at breakfast.
Back up about 4am, most riders seemed anxious to be back on the road and the breakfast area was almost empty by 6am  when I had a chance to get myself ready for the final leg back to Bispham.
My legs were still stiff and I headed slowly along to Hawes and grovelled up the climb to Ribblehead but once over the crest I assured myself that it was (almost) all downhill from here. The showers had finally disappeared and it was a beautiful morning to enjoy a bike ride.
The truckstop in the layby just before Lancaster was proving very popular and this allowed me to refuel and also find some company with which to ride the final miles. Up to this point, except for the 20 miles at the end of day 2, I had ridden pretty much on my own ever since the parting of the ways in Lancaster due to my puncture.
It certainly helps to have some company as the miles go by much easier when you can have a chat.
Just before we reached the A588/A585 junction on the outskirts of Blackpool, Mateusz can past at speed, down on his tribars in full TT mode. I didn't hesitate and jumped on his wheel. My speed increased from about 25 to 35 kph. We both caught another  (non MP)cyclist who obligingly dragged us along for a couple of miles. Once into the industrial area Mateusz eased off (phew!) and we finished about 11.30am.

I am so full of admiration for all the riders who completed the Mille Pennines and am disappointed not to be amongst them but have concluded that, although I have the physical ability to complete this kind of gruelling event, I no longer have the mental determination to carry on when the going gets tough and as such will call it a day on 1000+km rides from now on. ( Oh, and check my rim tape as well if there was to be a next time)       

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #601 on: 06 July, 2016, 03:58:31 pm »
I've uploaded a collection of photo's and videos made during the event onto the event website at: www.millepenninesaudax.com

You'll also find the provisional finishers list. The same list will appear on the AUK results website shortly.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #602 on: 06 July, 2016, 05:23:56 pm »
I've uploaded a collection of photo's and videos made during the event onto the event website at: www.millepenninesaudax.com

You'll also find the provisional finishers list. The same list will appear on the AUK results website shortly.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Thanks so much Andy!  You're a star.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #603 on: 06 July, 2016, 05:36:01 pm »
I'll add my thanks to the helpers, but particularly to Andy for devising and organising a great and challenging event.
I enjoyed day 1. Highlights were the fast start, riding Hardknott & Wrynose without stopping, and finishing earlier than expected.
Day 2 was just very tough, and for the first time on an Audax I was expecting a lot of people to DNF on roads I was riding. The slow speeds early on meant that I finished later than expected, but enjoyed riding with Adam from Lockerbie to beyond Penrith.
Day 3 started with a beautiful trip to the east coast which was a real tonic after day 2. I knew that the return would be tough with much more climbing and headwind, but added ITB issues meant that I wasn't a happy chap for an hour or more until Thirsk, where rest, medication, stretching (and pizza) got me sorted.
Knee was sore again at start of day 4, so an early stretching session and more vitamin I helped it to ease by the top of the climb, and from there I had an absolute blast on the descent and subsequent flat run in to Bispham.
Some challenging riding conditions for sure, but also some fabulous scenery and wildlife and many many good memories created.
ETA: my Garmin shows a total of 1,015.6km ridden and 15,364m of ascent.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #604 on: 06 July, 2016, 06:33:45 pm »
Audax Club Hackney would like to thank Mr Corless and his team for an outstanding long distance cycling event.  The club saw 7-riiders taking part, 5 of whom got round the gruelling leviathan from hell route.  Those included Adam 'Kinzey' Kinsey, Julian 'Joolz' Wiliams, James 'Skilly' Skillen, Paul 'Paul' Manasseh & Justin 'Jonah' Jones

Ed Holt and Joss Wallace battled hard against the elements but unfortunately didn't make the entire distance this time.

ACH

Yeah I echo my thanks to the team back at base. Particularly for feeding my guilty pleasure of cheesey broccoli pasta  :). I certainly learnt a few lessons in my first step up from a 600. I had a great weekend's cycling, some amazing scenery, discovered american hardgums are great on the go and Yop is sweet garage nectar. I would consider giving this another crack if it's run again. Unfinished business and all that...

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #605 on: 06 July, 2016, 08:02:06 pm »
Big thanks to Andy for organising this beast of a ride and to all those who helped him and supported the riders.  Really pleased  that I made it around, not sure how but some of the things that helped …

• I have done a lot of hilly rides this year and am now 10 months into a AAA RRTY. It’s not just riding the hills but the psychology of managing the relentlessness of some terrain – climb, descend and repeat …
  • I have started some fixed gear riding since January and I think this has helped with leg strength but also the ability to climb for sustained periods out of the saddle.
  • People – team up with two badass riders from Audax Hackney (Paul and Justin) who didn't discuss packing but how we could still make this work. Our mantra on Saturday evening was ‘get back by 5:00, 3 hours sleep and leave at 9 on Sunday for an over-distance 200’.
  • Keep talking to other riders on the night sections about anything and everything (if they’re up for it). Less likely to fall asleep when talking and spend less time looking at the completed km which moves very slowly at night.
  • Gears – I ride with a triple and swapped the 30t chainring for a 28, this equates to about one gear difference but was huge in terms of the ride. It got me up Hardknott, the Rosedale Chimney and just about everything else.
What was really hard …
  • No bed on Friday evening, not a complaint - shit happens but it didn’t help for Saturday
  • Too much garage food, I could have done a bit more research on alternative cafes nearby (we went to the Keilder visitor centre cafe during one of the downpours which was so much more relaxing compared to the shop control)
  • There was something about the hills on the Saturday in particular – the tops were never the tops there always seemed to be a bit more once you got there.  The Scottish moor on Saturday evening featured undulations that only became visible the closer you got.
  • The wind was really tough but maybe not as bad for me as for the lightweights
What was great …
  • The landscapes were breathtakingly lovely but at the same time quite scary as there were often nothing but hills and moorlands as far as the eye could see.
  • Some of the descents were pretty special, I’ll single out the smooth tarmac after climbing the Chimney that gradually dropped down off the moor and finished that chapter of the ride.
  • Finishing!!! Despite getting only 1 hour sleep on Sunday night this was just enough of a recharge to buy me another 100km back to Bispham (managed to get some speed going behind Adam W for a chunk of it as well).

What a ride  ;D

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #606 on: 06 July, 2016, 08:43:03 pm »

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

[/q

Thanks so much Andy!  You're a star.

+1 Andy (everyone looks fcuked!)

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #607 on: 06 July, 2016, 09:51:26 pm »
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #608 on: 07 July, 2016, 01:27:38 pm »
Looks like a strong correlation between those who got a bed and those who finished....

Availablilty of beds should not depend on how fast you are, of course, but I understood that a cock up had occurred beyond Andy's control...

If I had realised I could not / would not sleep on that thin carpet on Friday night and just bugged straight on out of there, I would have finished...

I now realise that if I had indeed done that I would have got to Askrigg in time to get a bed on Saturday night / Sunday morning.. since so many had already dnf'd.....

Hey ho, you never stop learning

Congrats to everyone, whether they finished or didn't, anyway !!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #609 on: 07 July, 2016, 01:33:44 pm »
The fastest riders got beds - but they are the riders most likely to finish anyway. So your correlation is a red herring.

Although I agree with both parts of this:
Availablilty of beds should not depend on how fast you are, of course, but I understood that a cock up had occurred beyond Andy's control...

... and I speak as one who has often got to sleep-stops to find all the decent slots taken. If it's a first for you, mikey, count yourself lucky! ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #610 on: 07 July, 2016, 01:37:57 pm »
I got a bed, it was very comfy.

It was in Windermere, though.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #611 on: 07 July, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »
The fastest riders got beds - but they are the riders most likely to finish anyway. So your correlation is a red herring.

Yes, have to agree with the logic of this - I can see at least 7 finishers on that list who didn't get a bunk (~18%) on the Friday which doesn't suggest that it's the root cause of the DNF rate (hills, wind, rain along with the sheer length of day 2 are a better bet).

« Reply #612 on: 07 July, 2016, 04:03:38 pm »
There are a core of riders who know what Andy's rides are like. I've got experience of filming two of the Pendle 600s, and I know that I'll likely be called on to work at controls. I set out to film this ride, but ended up working the Friday and Saturday nights.
I could have just filmed the way the nights unfolded, but I couldn't stand by while Paula and Gordon worked through the first night.
Heather was due to come up on Saturday, so I went home to brief her while the control was closed, then came back to do the second night. It all makes for an interesting exercise. The riders experience the event in a linear manner, while we're jumping around in time and space.
Clearly I didn't follow the Askrigg, Lockerbie, Askrigg leg. As I didn't have to in order to make a film about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBIU38fbiyA

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #613 on: 07 July, 2016, 04:37:58 pm »
Looks like a strong correlation between those who got a bed and those who finished....

I did get a bunk but if I'd have known that the control had this problem I would have put a self inflating mat + sleeping bag liner in my drop bag

I am not like you I need sleep in the early hours of the morning so getting there at a good time was considered to be more important than the state of my knees or burning myself out early in the ride

Also the likely "magic spreadsheet" scheduling showed that day one was worst for lacking time in hand, requiring a 5am or so start to get around day 2.  So early to bed, early to rise was needed

If only my wit and wisdom extended as far as "how do disk brakes work"  ;D

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #614 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:10:19 pm »
Firstly, now that the dust has began to settle, I'd like to thank all those who entered and took part in the inaugural Mille Pennines 1000 km Audax event that took place last weekend, and congratulations to the 38 successful riders.

This was a 1010 km route, ran over 4 days.

After a rapid start through the Lancashire Fylde, the riders took on a hilly circuit around the Lake District, finishing off with an evening ride (for most riders) through the Yorkshire Dales to the picturesque village of Askrigg where the central control was based at the local outdoor centre.

Day 2, at 362 km, was the longest stage; beginning with climbs over Summer Lodge Moor and The Stang, both climbing above 500 metres with sections of 25%. From Barnard Castle, the route then climbed over the northern Pennines before turning west through Kielder Forest where the riders had to battle a fierce headwind. The climb out of Newcastleton over to Langholm was unexpected by most riders and came as quite a shock. After Lockerbie, at roughly half-way (503 km), the route stuck mostly to A + B roads for the return to Askrigg.

Day 3 saw the riders tackle a clockwise circuit around the north Yorks' Moors, a route which included the (in)famous climb of Rosedale Chimney.

The last stage was a direct run back to the Lancashire coast, climbing over Newby Head, offering the riders some stunning views across 3-peaks country and the Lune valley. It all ended with a time-trial bash from Lancaster back to the finish.

Overall, I think the event was a success. Most (if not all) riders were satisfied with the Askrigg control. An outdoor centre on the outskirts of the village with bunk-beds and ensuite rooms.

However, like any other Audax event with a 4-figure distance (particularly the first running of it), the event had its problems. The two main problems I could see with the event was the over stretched Askrigg control on the first night and the length of stage 2 which, at 362 km, turned out to be a bit too long for most riders. It was noted that everyone who started day 3 went on to finish the event.

I'd especially like to thank all the helpers at both Askrigg and Bispham who put in 101% effort to make the event a success, and without whose help the event would not have been possible. They include: Gordon Panicca; Paula Butterworth; Damon Peacock; Heather Swift. Also, the following helped out after abandoning: Andrew Beedham; Steven Butterworth; Simon Abraham; Peter Turner; Omar Elafghani + 1 or 2 others I can't remember the names of.

Once again, congratulations to the 38 successful riders and commiserations to those that didn't make it.

I have of course spoken with some of the riders that were DNF and all seemed to want to give the event another go. With this in mind, I'm considering a re-run of the event next year, but only for those that were DNS/DNF. This is subject to approval by the AUK board. Whether the event runs again remains to be seen, but no doubt another event will emerge from the dust.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

« Reply #615 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:17:06 pm »
Thanks again, Andy + support. My body fat dropped from 13 to 7% when I got home, but I'm not checking it now!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #616 on: 07 July, 2016, 07:19:32 pm »
A big thank you to Andy and all the helpers, I was one of the DNFs, missing out the day 3 leg. The ride started well but sickness at Whinlatter and unable to eat much on day one left me in a weakened state for day two.  Still unable to eat much on day two and with 90 minutes in hand at Kielder I decided to find accommodation and retire. As everything was fully booked I pressed on finally finding a room at Langholm. This turned out to be a wise decision as I was ill during the night. The following day I rode back to Askrigg with the other three riders who stopped in the same hotel. I assume it was a bug as I felt sick on Tuesday. Thanks to the riders who asked if I was OK, I must have looked bad.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #617 on: 07 July, 2016, 07:56:00 pm »
Sorry you couldn't get round John.  If you don't mind me saying you looked like death warmed-up when we said good bye

« Reply #618 on: 07 July, 2016, 08:25:41 pm »
I have of course spoken with some of the riders that were DNF and all seemed to want to give the event another go. With this in mind, I'm considering a re-run of the event next year, but only for those that were DNS/DNF.

That's great thanks Andy, this is business I want to finish! Now I know the route, I know where I went wrong and how to improve enough to get the result. It really boils down to a simple case of HTFU. I'd try again tomorrow if I could - at least the weather's improved! Bring it on  :thumbsup:

« Reply #619 on: 07 July, 2016, 08:44:34 pm »
Thanks Andy, the helpers and all the riders I shared the road with. It was a sporting route and the weather also made it challenging at times. I got less sleep than I would like which also has an impact.  My knees and achilles took a bit of a battering at times but seem ok now - need to do more (some) stretching.

I love the Pennines - the exposed moorland roads especially but have not cycled enough there - I am yearning to go back now.

I don't usually do ride reports but started writing out my thoughts on tuesday......

I arrived in Blackpool with a lack of audax riding - through misfortune rather than design. A shadow of a past self, seemed apt on the promenade.

A steady ride at my own pace would be needed. Riding my Airnimal will have its limitations – its not very quick. I slightly nervous at the prospect of a ride for the first time in a while.  

Day 1  
Tailwind assisted in the main, with some bouts of torrential rain.

Lacked the gearing to take advantage and got caught in the bulge at Winnlater Pass - wasted time. 

Another deluge on the way to the coast – I see grown men in lycra huddled in phone boxes, Laidbackrich among them. Pass bikey-mikey who advises me i’m breathing too hard, my legs disagree.

Seascale. 'I’m still fresh' – the stickers placed on the chilled items state – reassuring.  

Hardknott offered the ignominy of a few metres walked before remounting to finish the job, all the more bitter coming at 90% completed. Wynrose done and onwards to the Dales.

Meet Jonah and Jahs – separated after a nasty kick out of Kendal. I plough on alone but I’m slow in the dark. 

Askrigg – Food and Shelter. Laid on the floor in a busy room; fitful rest not worthy of being called sleep. 

Day 2 
Away by 05:30 – with hopes of returning in time for a better rest.  

A slow, wild, windy ride to Stanhope and beyond. Rainbows on the horizon over exposed dales and rugged moorland, toiling up steep climbs on heavy legs in blustery conditions.

Peoples resolve was slowly breaking – I could sense Blueskies morale waning - but there was still beauty in it all, for me at least. 

Looking forward to Kielder; all I got is a dredging to further break my resolve. Rain that hurts. Forget the lake and forest. I’m left with an abiding memory of a rider accosted for having a natural break by the shop – followed in to shop for round 2 of the public shaming. I notice the villager in the woods; lurking, staring, waiting for some further transgression to direct his ire. With a wry smile to myself I separate my recycling and waste with additional diligence just in case – I’m losing the plot as well as riders all around me. 

The wind has been flirting with us until now; time to get properly acquainted. Block headwind. To Langholm up, over and across the moor fully exposed - I enjoy the wild beauty whilst becoming steadily accustomed with the futility in the air. 

Lockerbie – Penrith brought some tailwind assisted relief. VCL 167 come and go and the MSG train, TOBY and Paul D, come storming through bound for Maccy D’s. I plough my lonely furrow. 

I struggle at night – Teamed up with Bernster for a steady paced section back to Askrigg. Thanks for the chatter, it gets me through.

It has gone 04:00. Dawn is breaking; it was not supposed to be like this. Hello bed.

Day 3 
Didn’t even stir – I’m out by 8. 

A decent run out to the North Yorkshire Moors with Bernster. We climb up steeply onto the dark charred moorland speckled with flora. Chris S is out and offers us a wave and a hello.

From Robin Hood’s Bay its back across the grain of the Moors in brutal fashion.  Up and down we go. 1:3 - 1:4 - 1:3. A man chuckles to himself from his garden; ‘you aren’t even at the steepest bit yet’.  He was correct.

Rosedale Chimney comes and goes - tacking at the bottom and a saddled drive to the top

I work my way back to base - sharing some time with Adam W and the Tandem.

Day 4
Up and over the dales one last time - a wonderful view of the valley and a descent towards Ribblehead Viaduct.

The final flat run in - one last break at a roadside cafe - we find Jahs exuberantly extolling the virtues of ketosis to a couple buying a bacon roll. The level of energy after 950k is an advert itself.

Bispham. Im done. Truly.

« Reply #620 on: 07 July, 2016, 09:52:01 pm »
Thanks for putting on the event Andy - even though I was a reluctant DNS due to recovering from a hernia op it's been an enjoyable following from the arm chair !  - Maybe I'll get a chance to complete in 2017... Chapeau to all finishers ( especially those on fixed :)  )

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #621 on: 08 July, 2016, 04:35:20 am »
Andy, my chums Postie & Kev were full of stories of the ride and the adventures encountered.

A great event, by all accounts and although I know I would have been too unfit to get round this year's offering, hopefully I will be on one of your excursions soon.

H

« Reply #622 on: 08 July, 2016, 06:37:24 am »
Andy, I don't think you will have to formally restrict those who finished from entering in 2017. A very few of the 38 would consider riding again and if you put word about maybe 3 or 4 would actually do so. What would help riders next time are pace notes and tips on eating places. Also I am sure that some places on the route such as the pub at kielder would, with a bit of negotiation cater for our needs.  After all 50+ riders spending £5-8 each is significant income. We could also try the Calvert trust. Happy to  offer from a local rider to do this bit for 2017. 

« Reply #623 on: 08 July, 2016, 06:57:35 am »
I had a hearty veg soup at the Kielder pub (no beer).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #624 on: 08 July, 2016, 03:06:27 pm »
It's not unusual to have very high completion rates from riders who set out on day 3 of an event.  By then most of the mechanical and physical issues that prevent someone from finishing will have manifested themselves.  (Alternatively, those that are worried about not finishing will have taken the prudent step not to continue to the point of absolute failure but wisely stop at a place or time where they can retreat or recover safely.

The best example of this that I can recall is the 2010 1600km Mille Miglia, all 243 riders who made it to 1000km finished.  If you think of that as being 100% completion of a 200+ 600km event...
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)