Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195792 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #650 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:09:52 am »
Oh no the will I won't I ride thought pattern has set in already. I failed this year and it has been nagging me ever since.

Andy you are playing with my mind.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
« Reply #651 on: 03 August, 2016, 08:42:32 am »
I just noticed over on FB that there will be a re-run 7-10 July next year  :)

https://burnleyccevents.com/mille-pennines-2-07-july-2017/ 

So ...

Pendle 600  1st July
Mille Pennines 7th July
LEL 30th July

Busy month July !!  :P
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #652 on: 03 August, 2016, 08:48:16 am »

Will that just be for the weak pathetic excuses for humans that quit last time people who did not make it around last time?  ;)

Not that I need another go around, but might be an interesting mid-season option if my plans for next year work out.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #653 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:15:40 am »
Will that just be for the weak pathetic excuses for humans that quit last time people who did not make it around last time?

The event will be open to all cyclists, including non-AUK members, in accordance with AUK regulations. The event should be appearing in the AUK calendar shortly.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines

LMT

« Reply #654 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:23:14 am »

Will that just be for the weak pathetic excuses for humans that quit last time people who did not make it around last time?  ;)

Not that I need another go around, but might be an interesting mid-season option if my plans for next year work out.

Hmm, I'd hardly call a NOFF a pathetic excuse, despite the emoticon you've overstepped the mark here ever so slightly imo. Whilst at the same time setting a precedent for yourself the next time you pack. Carry on.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #655 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:34:40 am »
For avoidance of doubt, I have nothing but respect for anyone that was even at the start line of this event.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

simonp

« Reply #656 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:42:51 am »
For avoidance of doubt, I have nothing but respect for anyone that was even at the start line of this event.

Interestingly - I failed to complete this and felt my fitness was not where it was in May. However, I did an FTP test yesterday and my FTP was 97.5% of what it was on 19 May, at my last test. I've been doing a lot of shorter-duration exercise (competitive1 rowing and training for it) and while this has maintained a reasonable level of fitness, I suspect there is no substitute for long miles when training for an event like the MP1000.

1. In one sense of the word, anyway.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #657 on: 03 August, 2016, 05:55:46 pm »
Marcus - anyone who has met you knows what you meant. Only people with a fragile ego and no humour would have taken offence.

I started this thread and have had health and fitness issues over the last few years and knew I would probably not finish when I started. Because of this I put mountain bike type gears on my bike and still did not make it. The only thing now is lose that weight I have been carrying for the last few years.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #658 on: 03 August, 2016, 08:10:57 pm »
Will that just be for the weak pathetic excuses for humans that quit last time people who did not make it around last time?

The event will be open to all cyclists, including non-AUK members, in accordance with AUK regulations. The event should be appearing in the AUK calendar shortly.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines

Yay ! :)

« Reply #659 on: 03 August, 2016, 08:48:12 pm »
My dry Yorkshire wit has landed me in trouble at times, with people who don't know me. I'm know any ribbing on yacf is done in the best possible taste.

Regarding the training, in no way had I prepared myself for this undertaking. I shoulda known, hailing from Brid, there'd be steep climbs up ont' moors, but I never cycled round there, just family car trips when I were a lad up the A road. I'm proud to have finished it, and also have great respect for all those who started.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #660 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:54:56 pm »
I'll be in.  This was a stonker.  I particularly enjoyed the section across the high-ground on the last day

Andy Corless

« Reply #661 on: 05 August, 2016, 11:41:51 am »
"So ...

Pendle 600  1st July
Mille Pennines 7th July
LEL 30th July

Busy month July !!
"

Next September might be a busy month as well if the event planner's anything to go by:

16 Sep: 600 - Upton Magna
22 Sep: 600 - Bispham

The 2 X 600s that are normally run in September aren't even in the planner yet!

All/some might not come to fruition of course ........

Andy Corless

« Reply #662 on: 05 August, 2016, 10:04:50 pm »
Looks like Carl and I will have to temporarily move to the UK over next summer. If everything goes according to plan, we'll be there for the Mille Pennines again, and we've "registered" for LEL as well. With a bit of luck...
Despite my mechanical issues, we had a great time - fantastic landscapes! Thanks a bunch for this ride, Andy!
We don't think the second day should be any shorter. Personally, I think a short last day is to prefer.
For those of you interested in my rear derailleur adventures: new back wheel, new derailleur and new derailleur hanger will be on my bike this weekend! Thanks again, Ritchie, for all the help!

« Reply #663 on: 05 August, 2016, 11:43:22 pm »
There were better feeding options on or just off the route - for example, I spotted the entrance to Gretna Services, which isn't far past Lockerbie and has a massive food court where you can get a bucket of KFC, a vat of coffee etc, but the entrance is an unremarkable gap in a hedge, so you would never know it was there unless you'd been before.

Like Aidan, I'd be happy to help with arranging for local cafes or putting together a crib sheet of facilities on or close to the route. And I did tell Andy that I'd volunteer if he runs it again next year.

Still happy to volunteer! I can get to Askrigg dead easy, and I don't want need to ride it again.

Andy Corless

« Reply #664 on: 06 August, 2016, 03:34:35 pm »
"If everything goes according to plan, we'll be there for the Mille Pennines again"

I'm glad you had a great time. You will of course be very welcome again. The event should be in the calendar shortly. The event website at: https://millepenninesaudax.com/ has had a bit of a makeover.

"Still happy to volunteer!"

I'll be in touch eventually soon.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #665 on: 06 August, 2016, 07:41:13 pm »
Will there be enough beds this time please Andy?
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #666 on: 07 August, 2016, 09:49:23 am »
There were enough chairs and carpet. I was so tired it didn't take me long to nod off 😴..then wake up again 😕

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #667 on: 07 August, 2016, 11:16:18 pm »
but my hip is still technically broken, and my shoulder still dislocated, and I can only sleep on my left side, provided enough padding, so carpets just didn't work, and caused me pain that continued through the next day...  which ruined the whole thing for me......
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #668 on: 08 August, 2016, 05:29:00 am »
Ouch! Sorry, b-m. I'd like to say I feel your pain!

Andy Corless

« Reply #669 on: 08 August, 2016, 02:35:10 pm »
"Will there be enough beds this time please Andy?"

There'll likely be the 40 bunk-beds + whatever airbeds I have. I'm going to look for a second control nearby to put some airbeds down (there's a village hall a couple of hundred yards up the road but can't be used at night)! I might have to restrict numbers if entries rise above 100 again (which I don't really want to do).

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines

« Reply #670 on: 16 August, 2016, 07:02:47 pm »
Ooh, so for those of us that DNSd this year, we can have another crack?

I have the damn bike I was waiting for so it needs punishing for being so late :)

Andy Corless

« Reply #671 on: 17 August, 2016, 11:03:11 am »
"Ooh, so for those of us that DNSd this year, we can have another crack?"

Yes - the event will be open to all cyclists in accordance with AUK regulations! However (there's always a "however"), you might have to get your entry in early as I've had nearly 100 enquiries this last month or so from people wishing to enter early in order to get a place. I e-mailed the events people about a week or so ago enquiring when the event will be published in the calendar but haven't heard anything as yet (considering the time of year it's a safe assumption they're on holiday)! I've completed all the necessary documents at my end, the event has been registered, and the event website has been updated accordingly. My events normally appear in the AUK calendar in 1-2 days after registration so I suggest you keep your eyes peeled on the AUK website as the event could appear in the calendar at anytime.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

« Reply #672 on: 17 August, 2016, 07:53:11 pm »
I'll be there.  With bells on.  And more caffeine in my bloodstream.

Andy Corless

« Reply #673 on: 27 August, 2016, 03:24:11 pm »
The date for next year's event has been set for the weekend of 07 - 10 July 2017. Thanks to all those that have shown interest and volunteered to lend a hand.

EVENT

Distance: 1002 km (provisional)
Ascent: 13600 metres (estimated)
Category: BRM (Brevet de Randonneurs Mondiaux)

THE START

Start: Bispham, Lancashire
Date: Friday 07 July 2017
Start time: 10:00 am

Websites:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-62/
https://millepenninesaudax.com/

OVERVIEW

The new route is much the same as the 2016 edition, with the following exceptions:

Stage 2 has been shortened to 323 km, cutting out the section between Langholm and Lockerbie. There will be additional manned control in Northumberland.

Stage 3 is slightly longer at 271 km, with the final control at Ripon, rather than Thirsk. An additional manned control has been planned near Robin Hood's Bay.

Stage 4 is also longer, to include a stretch through the Ribble Valley and make up the distance lost in stage 2.

The rest is pretty much the same as this year.

Andy Corless
Organsier
Mille Pennines 1000

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #674 on: 27 August, 2016, 04:37:08 pm »
MEGATRON