Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195624 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #775 on: 28 June, 2017, 10:08:11 am »
On the plus side, there is a full moon for most of the night!

[@Stu: we can all get GPS files from the ridewithgps page that you're looking at, created by the event team (I think). If you don't know how to do that for your particular device, it's probably one for the GPS sub-board.

Oh, and Don't Panic! :)
]
You do not see the moon most nights up north.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

If you're lucky

"Beware the moon, and stay off the moor"

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #776 on: 28 June, 2017, 12:28:22 pm »
One of this year's entrants has asked me to post this:-

I have been asked to post this from the originator of the RwGPS link of the ‘possible' route. This route is not produced by the MP 'team' but is based on last year's and details Andy had previously shared months ago (new control locations at Barnard Castle, Lanehead, Langholm, Ripon) and very, very recently the revelation of Sedbergh as the 'central control' as opposed to Askrigg. He has used Andy's new distances and get the same first and last day's and total as the MP site /Route tab advertises, but the 359km for Day 2 (2 more than last year btw) is not the same, and Day 3 is longer (than the MP site detail) if via Ripon. It may be that Andy's gone back to using Thirsk as the control W of NYMoors in which case another tranche of km on Day 2 is needed. Perhaps the route will go back to going us right over to Lockerbie again and then straight down the A6 via Shap to Sedbergh but the MP site still says 'via the Eden valley' in the amended text so that’s taken (on the ‘possible’ route) as via Kirkby Stephen.

(he's having difficulty joining YACF, if anyone can assist).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #777 on: 28 June, 2017, 12:45:07 pm »
Thanks Ian.  :thumbsup: Whoever posted that route put a lot of effort into it, what with the intermediate distances and sun/moon rise/set times!

(Somewhat frustrating to still be waiting for the route outline with just 9 days to go before a 4-day ride. Hey-ho ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #778 on: 28 June, 2017, 02:40:16 pm »
Thanks Ian.  Whoever posted that route put a lot of effort into it, what with the intermediate distances and sun/moon rise/set times!

(Somewhat frustrating to still be waiting for the route outline with just 9 days to go before a 4-day ride. Hey-ho ... )
Are you in for this one Matt?

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #779 on: 28 June, 2017, 05:47:45 pm »
It's been a while now since my last update so I suppose I better start filling in the gaps.

Basically, the Hawes control is no longer available. I've done all I can to find an alternative but have exhausted all options. However, one of the entrants lives on the route near Sedbergh and last week offered us the use of the local school as a feeding point (he's the headmaster). I've discussed the circumstances with him and also with the caretaker and it's been sensibly decided to use the Sedbergh school as the main control point for the 3-nights. There'll still be LEL-style airbeds; showers as well as hot food etc available as well as somewhere to park the bikes.

Therefore, the route is now more or less the same as last years except Thirsk has been replaced by Ripon, which is better equipped for control purposes.

The AUK events secretary is aware of the new changes and both the AUK webpage and event website have been updated with the new changes.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-62/
http://millepenninesaudax.com/

The event info' and route-sheet are being updated as we speak and should be available within the next 2-3 days.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #780 on: 28 June, 2017, 06:51:58 pm »
That is good news about the event and the stop over. Really looking forward to this.

Not so sure about all the hills.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #781 on: 28 June, 2017, 08:41:31 pm »
Brilliant news (I think! ;-) School sounds perfect overnight stop (not that I'll be able to make much use of it :-0 ). Ok so just need confirmation that the RideWithGPS track matches the latest changes.... EDIT : Thanks to whoever John is who is going to update the rwGPS track once final route sheet is released. Thank you thank you
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #782 on: 29 June, 2017, 12:29:49 pm »
Are you in for this one Matt?

Indeed! Travelling up with "fast Will" (currently leading our club points tally). I don't expect to ride the whole 1000; I may skip the East Coast section, or if the weather is bad I may skip the Hardknott loop - already ridden that once, and don't fancy the descents if damp.

Looking forward to filling in a big missing section of my UK "heatmap", in a stunning area that I have mainly driven through in the past :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #783 on: 29 June, 2017, 06:56:08 pm »
Finally spent the afternoon working out pros and cons for four possible scedules. Its that short first stage that causes the problem. But ive settled on a plan A with B & C in reserve. I feel Andy's pain having to move the venue at short notice. Just to check, Im best to pack a sleeping bag in my bag drop?
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #784 on: 29 June, 2017, 07:03:55 pm »
Its that short first stage that causes the problem.

You have to laugh at the crazy world we ride in; where 250km with a billion feet of climbing is an annoyingly short first day.  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #785 on: 29 June, 2017, 07:39:14 pm »
Day 1 is perfect for the ElliptiGO distance wise  ;D its the other two and half days I'm worried about!!! Day 2 doesn't bear thinking about. If all goes to plan i expect to sleep for 1-2hours after day 1, zero sleep between Day 2 and Day 3 and then colaspe in a ditch somewhere on Day 3.
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

Hing

• fabulous follies
« Reply #786 on: 30 June, 2017, 03:43:36 am »
Is someone driving up from/through London by any chance?
weird and wonderful, fabulous folly

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #787 on: 30 June, 2017, 06:59:30 pm »
I'm curious.... Is anyone riding the Pendle600 this weekend as well!?!?  :o if so you're completely nuts!!! I had thought about it (for about 1/2 second!)

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #788 on: 01 July, 2017, 12:16:44 pm »
I'm curious.... Is anyone riding the Pendle600 this weekend as well!?!?  :o if so you're completely nuts!!! I had thought about it (for about 1/2 second!)

Well of course - I'm surprised no-one else is, to be honest. I'd hoped for a good chat :(  Sorry for the slow reply - Wi-Fi is terrible Ooop North. It really is grim up here!

Anyway, I knocked off the first section just on the control opening times, so there's time to catch up - on cafe Wifi! - with my friends on YACF.

Quite a nice day so far. Should have some good pictures. Got a bit lost so had to climb Rosedale Chimney twice - how I laughed! It's a pretty hilly route - I don't think I'll get 8 hours sleep AND finish by lunchtime. You should have given it a go Stu :)

Hopefully some other riders will be along shortly ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #789 on: 02 July, 2017, 05:11:51 pm »
I have changed the thread title to reflect this years ride. Time for a roll call -

Bianchi Boy
Laid Back Rich

Please add your names.

Also I will be in Blackpool on Thursday night and last year there was a meeting at the Spoons by the tower.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/lancashire/the-albert-and-the-lion-blackpool

Anybody up for a meet up there on Thursday night? They do food till late and it is easy to find.

BB

« Reply #790 on: 02 July, 2017, 05:49:11 pm »
I would be up for a meet at Spoons...not to sure who everyone is, but if you've seen a Wilier+Carradice+dead pheasant somewhere, that will be me!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #791 on: 02 July, 2017, 06:36:03 pm »
For 2016 riders:

Did Andy have any guidelines/limits on drop-bags?

(Not sure whether to pack the foot-spa ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #792 on: 02 July, 2017, 07:31:36 pm »
For 2016 riders:

Did Andy have any guidelines/limits on drop-bags?

(Not sure whether to pack the foot-spa ... )
Andy set a limit last year and everyone ignored it. I will be taking one bag and as long as it is not a 90l monster sack you will be fine. I will be doing my usual minimalist thing with as little as possible.

« Reply #793 on: 02 July, 2017, 07:45:04 pm »
I have changed the thread title to reflect this years ride. Time for a roll call -

Bianchi Boy
Laid Back Rich

Please add your names.

Also I will be in Blackpool on Thursday night and last year there was a meeting at the Spoons by the tower.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/lancashire/the-albert-and-the-lion-blackpool

Anybody up for a meet up there on Thursday night? They do food till late and it is easy to find.

BB

Solmaz and Carl Lundin!
Dinner on Thursday at The Albert And The Lion again sounds good!

« Reply #794 on: 02 July, 2017, 11:00:27 pm »
BTW, as it seems like all the train routes from the London area to Blackpool with bicycle spaces are fully booked (or am I wrong?), do any of you have any tips on other ways to get there besides driving?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #795 on: 03 July, 2017, 06:46:39 am »
BTW, as it seems like all the train routes from the London area to Blackpool with bicycle spaces are fully booked (or am I wrong?), do any of you have any tips on other ways to get there besides driving?

When I tried to book to Blackpool I got an unfriendly message and about not been able to book. You only need to book London Euston to Preston. Trains to Blackpool North do not require a booking. I will be paying for a separate ticket between Preston and Blackpool.

See you in Blackpool.

BB

« Reply #796 on: 03 July, 2017, 08:11:43 am »
Solmaz,

The best way to book a train journey with a bike reservation is to call Virgin Trains on 03445 56 56 50.  As far as I know, I don't think you can book a bike reservation online.

Joolz

« Reply #797 on: 03 July, 2017, 08:20:50 am »
You can make a bike reservation if you book your tickets (for any train company) through Trans Pennine Express, Virgin East Coast, or anyone else who uses the same booking engine as those two.

As BB says though, if part of the journey is on an operator who doesn't require bike reservations (and therefore you can't make them), you can get an error message which is indistinguishable from there being none left for the main part of the trip.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #798 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:35:25 am »
I'm in.
Spoons in Blackpool sounds good, i'll try and join the gang.

Arthur
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #799 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:46:47 am »
What time is everyone hoping to meet at Spoons? I'm staying with my folks locally, but would be great to put some names to faces before the ride.
Incidentally, this will be a massive leap into the unknown for me. My biggest to date was Saturday, when I managed the Peregrine Mountain Roads 300. I guess the question is can I do that type of ride 3 days running?