Author Topic: Modulable winter tyres  (Read 2318 times)

Modulable winter tyres
« on: 10 February, 2020, 08:35:48 pm »
This publicity was in my mailbox today, sent by my favourite tyre suppliers. No interest to me whatsoever but after her adventures last winter somehow this made me think of QG

https://www.cycletyres.fr/m-retyre-314.html?utm_source=Cycletyres.fr&utm_campaign=5c446d0107-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_09_20_10_28_COPY_03&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9d02bbdf0f-5c446d0107-88552945

Sorry it's in french. There is an english language button but somehow I couldn't make the link copy

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Modulable winter tyres
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2020, 09:33:50 pm »

Yeah, have seen these before. I think they were on kickstarter too. Still unsure of their durability.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2020, 09:44:51 pm »
My history of destroying saddlebag zips with ingrained mud makes me scheptical.

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:16:25 pm »
My history of destroying saddlebag zips with ingrained mud makes me scheptical.

Yes the zip aspect seemed to me a bit suboptimal. I can just imagine in the snow and ice trying to unfreeze bits of zip to stick the necessary stud belt on. There could be better ways of achieving this (like snow belts on car tyres). They might be restricted to bikes with discs but then the conditions might well dictate that technical choice anyway.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2020, 09:58:59 pm »
This is either genius or insanity.  I'm leaning towards the latter.

« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2020, 10:11:17 pm »
There could be better ways of achieving this (like snow belts on car tyres). They might be restricted to bikes with discs but then the conditions might well dictate that technical choice anyway.

I think they’re called cable ties.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2020, 07:59:27 am »
There could be better ways of achieving this (like snow belts on car tyres). They might be restricted to bikes with discs but then the conditions might well dictate that technical choice anyway.

I think they’re called cable ties.

Indeed, just take some old knobbly tyres, cut off the beading, remove wheel, slip knobbly cover on, and zipp tie around tyre and rim, obviously only useful with discs. Maybe not even remove beading, as this would add to stability/ rigidity of tyre.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2020, 01:48:37 pm »
I can't think of a general situation where I'd "suddenly" decide I needed spikes.

If I was long term touring and heading up Jutland on the edge of winter, I'd already have it in my plans to contact the first bike shop in Malmo, Goeteborg or Oslo in advance to see if they could get me some spikes.  But more likely, I wouldn't be heading into a Scandinavian winter... or Scottish one for that matter I'd head somewhere with mild winters.

« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2020, 03:37:44 pm »
I've ridden to work in cold wet weather, then had it turn to freezing snow during the day. Had to ride home on roads covered in snow compressed to ice by cars.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2020, 05:07:18 pm »
I wonder what the rolling resistance and durability on these things would be!
I used to cycle to work (30-35 miles; 2h10-2h40 pd round trip) all year round in all weathers and when the ground looked like freezing, I took the "ice bike" (Marathon Winter tyres). This was marginally slower (about 1-2kph) and heavier than the "normal" commuter but, over 60k that only amounted to about 10 minutes extra at most with the certainty of good grip, durability and little chance of tyre failures...
I wonder if this is a solution looking for a problem?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #10 on: 12 February, 2020, 05:37:53 pm »
I can't think of a general situation where I'd "suddenly" decide I needed spikes.

If I was long term touring and heading up Jutland on the edge of winter, I'd already have it in my plans to contact the first bike shop in Malmo, Goeteborg or Oslo in advance to see if they could get me some spikes.  But more likely, I wouldn't be heading into a Scandinavian winter... or Scottish one for that matter I'd head somewhere with mild winters.

I hadn't expected to need spikes, so didn't have any, but they would have been useful. Southern Norway, May 21st (as I found out that's not quite summer, and admittedly it was quite high - about 900 m asl.) I managed to descent  on foot, slipping and sliding and failing to control the laden bike. On reflection spikes wouldn't have been worth it for that 45 mins or so in a 4-month tour.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2020, 11:12:56 pm »
Faffing with zips, mud in the zip, deflating ... would this really be faster at home than just swapping a beaded tyre? (no)  Would you ride to work regularly on these tyres with a spare set of ice tyres "just in case" (again, no, I can barely be bothered to carry waterproofs in winter).
Also, I'm with team skeptical as to whether the zip will work when faced with real world conditions.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2020, 11:15:39 pm »
I wonder how velcro would work. I mean real spaceman velcro. I.e. a bald 'inner tyre'  which contains the inner tube, jacketed with fleece, and a change-able outer tyre with hooks on the inside so you can swap the outer on and off easily.

I think it would work.

Engineers my DMs are open.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2020, 11:16:49 pm »
Faffing with zips, mud in the zip, deflating ... would this really be faster at home than just swapping a beaded tyre? (no)  Would you ride to work regularly on these tyres with a spare set of ice tyres "just in case" (again, no, I can barely be bothered to carry waterproofs in winter).
Also, I'm with team skeptical as to whether the zip will work when faced with real world conditions.

Depends. Round these parts many people can't even be arsed to pump their tyres up.

But then if you have a hub gear and all the armour plating round the wheel, and drive train, it can be a *LOT* of faff to get a tyre off.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 14 February, 2020, 12:11:18 am »

I don't think that's the problem these are going to be particularly useful to solve.  A second bike, spare set of wheels, or simply riding on studs for a couple of months a year would seem like a more reasonable approach for that sort of thing.

Where I can see that they might be useful is if you're doing a tour or endurance event where you *might* need studs for part of the ride, but don't want to commit to them for the rest.  A bit like using overshoes to keep your feet dry rather than the generally superior options of sandals or winter boots - they're a compromise, but sometimes a useful one.  The longevity of the mounting system is less of a concern in those circumstances, but could still let them down badly (a bit like overshoes).

For that sort of scenario you want the tyre to be decent in non-studs mode, whether that be in terms of rolling resistance, puncture resistance, grip or whatever.