Author Topic: Tinned potatoes  (Read 14616 times)

Tinned potatoes
« on: 21 July, 2019, 01:49:23 pm »
In the interest of keeping all of you safe and healthy, I elected to try some tinned potatoes today.
Crosse* & Blackwell.
Score 1= 1/10
Score 2 = (I tried a second one, because I could not believe that something tasting so awful could be marketed as food) -9/10

*In a previous life, as a milkman (1st job after leaving school) I used to deliver to a house previously owned by  Mrs.Crosse in Palace Road, Tulse Hill, London.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tinned potatoes
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2019, 01:51:31 pm »
Put them in the Brexit bunker next to the dogs milk, then?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2019, 02:09:50 pm »
I might have sampled tinned potatoes, certainly never bought them though.

My first thought about these is

WHY?

I suppose they'd be good for bunker stores...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2019, 02:13:32 pm »
I'd like to say that I admire your bravery, Jurek, but the truth is I'm amazed at you doing something so foolish.  :hand:

Put them in the Brexit bunker next to the dogs milk, then?
So that they can be used as missiles against zombies? Or so they can posted to friends abroad as a plea for mercy?

WHY?
For school dinners? It's the only possible application. Just because something tin be canned can be tinned, doesn't mean it should. 
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2019, 02:33:47 pm »

WHY?

I've been given a book and thought that tinned spuds might be capable of making a useful contribution to some of the recipes within.
My thinking was deeply flawed.
Straight to compost.

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2019, 04:00:00 pm »

WHY?

Saves cooking and smothered in mayo they taste ok  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2019, 04:18:27 pm »
What. I love tinned potatoes! I'd rather not think of the process they go through as probably chemically pealed

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2019, 04:56:17 pm »
More likely to be mechanically peeled in a rumbler.  That was how we did it in the chippy I worked in as a teen :)

I'm with Nadiya and Jack on the subject of tinned spuds.  They aren't great for all purposes but they are perfectly fine for many applications, cheap and handy. I usually have a couple of tins lurking in the kitchen cupboards.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/food-and-drink/nadiya-hussain-jack-monroe-tinned-potatoes/

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2019, 05:15:24 pm »
More likely to be mechanically peeled in a rumbler.  That was how we did it in the chippy I worked in as a teen :)

I'm with Nadiya and Jack on the subject of tinned spuds.  They aren't great for all purposes but they are perfectly fine for many applications, cheap and handy. I usually have a couple of tins lurking in the kitchen cupboards.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/food-and-drink/nadiya-hussain-jack-monroe-tinned-potatoes/

I've a lot of time for Jack Monroe.
However, tinned spuds continue to barely raise the needle on the taste-o-meter, whilst scoring highly on the disappoint-gauge.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2019, 05:27:43 pm »
Up their with tinned peas and carrots - memories of 'caravan food' from when I was a kid... not detestable but probably good bunker food.
Regards,

Joergen

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2019, 05:34:16 pm »
There are some foods that should never be canned.
Mushrooms.   :sick:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2019, 05:36:47 pm »
Also a standard inclusion in the crinkly food cupboard, those.

They're rubbish on a pizza, for example, but can work really well in a stew.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 21 July, 2019, 05:42:06 pm »
Sealing them away in an airtight container seems like an eminently sensible way of dealing with mushrooms....

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2019, 06:00:27 pm »
Sealing them away in an airtight container seems like an eminently sensible way of dealing with mushrooms....

Then nuking them from orbit....   :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 21 July, 2019, 06:02:08 pm »

Then nuking them from orbit....   :thumbsup:

Radioactive mutant mushrooms?  Had enough of that sort of thing in the fridge when I was a PSO...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15 on: 21 July, 2019, 08:38:36 pm »

Then nuking them from orbit....   

Radioactive mutant mushrooms?  Had enough of that sort of thing in the fridge when I was a PSO...
All mushrooms == food of the devil
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 21 July, 2019, 09:03:55 pm »
No mushrooms in devil's food cake!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #17 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:53:02 am »
Are tinned potatoes pre-cooked?

What stops tinned anything from disintegrating?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #18 on: 22 July, 2019, 08:13:02 am »
Most tinned veg is put raw into the tin with water and salt then the tin is lidded and sealed and then gets cooked which simulataneously cooks the contents and sterilises them.

The spuds in tinned potatoes tend to be small ones, are often billed as 'new' potatoes and generally seem to hold together.  If you add them to a stew or curry then they behave pretty much as cold leftover new potatoes would.

« Reply #19 on: 22 July, 2019, 12:16:19 pm »
Most tinned veg is put raw into the tin with water and salt then the tin is lidded and sealed and then gets cooked which simulataneously cooks the contents and sterilises them.

The spuds in tinned potatoes tend to be small ones, are often billed as 'new' potatoes and generally seem to hold together.  If you add them to a stew or curry then they behave pretty much as cold leftover new potatoes would.

I was convinced that the catering staff in my hall of residence were using tinned potatoes for the Sunday roast. Forget the roasties that you or your mother can produce, these were quite often rock-hard hollow shells fit only for having their ballistic properties investigated.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 22 July, 2019, 12:24:32 pm »

I was convinced that the catering staff in my hall of residence were using tinned potatoes for the Sunday roast. Forget the roasties that you or your mother can produce, these were quite often rock-hard hollow shells fit only for having their ballistic properties investigated.

Sunday roast?  Luxury!  In Shite Bunker, Sunday lunch was a Pot Noodle and your choice from the manky fruit tray.

I know this because, as residents in the (much cheaper) nearby self-catering accommodation, we'd often accept refugees from the Bunker on a "if I can use your kitchen I'll bake you a CAKE" basis.

« Reply #21 on: 22 July, 2019, 12:36:44 pm »
We may well have got Sunday lunch in what was High/Ridge Hall, but quite frankly, they needn't have bothered, given how it was generally the most disappointing meal of the week. Having said that, the inmates of Lake/Wyddrington Halls spent some time being served grub at the top of the Vale while a cockroach infestation was being dealt with, and they reckoned that our caterers were better than theirs.  :o ;D

For reference, I'm going by what the halls were called back in the 90s - IIRC, High and Ridge were merged into a mixed hall, renamed Chamberlain some time after I had graduated, before being demolished the other year (probably because it was going to cost less to build new accommodation than to bring the old buildings up to meeting modern building standards/fire regulations).
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #22 on: 22 July, 2019, 02:09:38 pm »
Tinned potatoes are a bone of contention in our house. I love them and Mrs Pcolbeck says they are the work of Stan.
When I was a kid at Christmas we would have roast potatoes, mashed potatoes and tinned potatoes with Christmas dinner. Irish roots, you cant have too many types of potatoes with your dinner.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #23 on: 22 July, 2019, 02:13:45 pm »
Might as well face it, you're addicted to spuds. :demon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad0w59lBfXU

« Reply #24 on: 22 July, 2019, 02:27:37 pm »
Up their with tinned peas and carrots - memories of 'caravan food' from when I was a kid...
Yes this thread has bought back memories of family holidays in the 60/70's, camping or caravan parks, where we lived off tinned food for a week.  I don't think I've had tinned potatoes since and now have to get some for the nostalgia, maybe to take seaside camping for the full experience.