Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 146516 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #2000 on: 07 June, 2022, 10:44:20 pm »
 :thumbsup:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2001 on: 08 June, 2022, 07:00:27 am »
Excellent news Beardy.  Looking forward to your progress reports.  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2002 on: 13 June, 2022, 08:43:21 pm »
Well. I did it. Only the first run from the Ct5K, so only 8 mins of actual running. Well, it would have been only 8 minutes if I hadn’t misheard the prompts and ended up running the 7th minute 30 seconds early and running 90 second on the eighth run :facepalm:

It was quite hard, but to be expected after a long hiatus. But I feel great now and apart from doing the run earlier in the day, ie the morning, I’m all set to repeat on Wednesday.

I might be back  :smug:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2003 on: 13 June, 2022, 09:16:58 pm »
Well done Arnie.  😉

« Reply #2004 on: 14 June, 2022, 10:37:32 am »
hurrah

Well done
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2005 on: 14 June, 2022, 03:23:12 pm »
Congratulations.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2006 on: 15 June, 2022, 11:23:50 am »
That’s number 2 done. Having had (reasonably) recent experience of what I’m up against, I seem to have dropped into the rhythm of things already. Although running for 1 minute then walking does seem a bit of a cop out. I shall persevere for now.

Observations.

Blisters. I don’t remember getting those last time, although it feels it’s only when I’m walking. I think I’ll need to find my running specific socks and see if that makes any difference.

There’s a lot more traffic than when I was running during the pandemic. I preferred it before.

Running in the morning is much more sensible than late afternoon.

I still need to lose some more weight.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2007 on: 16 June, 2022, 10:23:08 am »

I need a goal. 
Also worth considering volunteering as marshall at an event/ParkRun, or offering to be part of support crew for a runner on an ultramarathon.  Just seeing other people turn up and run is highly motivating.

« Reply #2008 on: 16 June, 2022, 10:31:40 am »
Good luck with your return to form Beardy.  I had 9 weeks off running earlier this year to allow a niggly foot problem to sort itself out, and the initial return to running was depressingly hard work but after a few weeks of constant effort the fitness started to rapidly return.  I completed a trail marathon on Sunday so just keep turning up and being consistent and you'll smash your goals :thumbsup:

Regarding running specific socks I have found that some shoes, whilst they feel comfy, always blister me irrespective of what socks I use.  The right shoe/sock combo is a holy grail goal.  The Hilly "marathon fresh" sock range have done me well for day to day short/medium length runs.  For long outings (half marathon or longer), particularly long trail runs, I use Injinjii toe socks - plus liberal smears of vaseline on known hot spots likely to get rubbed. That normally keeps my in tidy shape.

« Reply #2009 on: 16 June, 2022, 10:36:49 am »
I use Runderwear anti blister socks.   Beware that because they are two layered that they are a bit thicker than standard socks but I have found them to be absolutely excellent.

I have slightly wider flippers anyway so I buy the Brooks Wide (2E) width shoes and the combination just works for me.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2010 on: 16 June, 2022, 12:05:17 pm »
Looking at my shoes, I’ve noticed that both have holes in the inner heel wher the blisters have formed. There was obviously a hot spot before I stopped running, but because I was running regularly I probably had tougher heels. However, if holes have developed it’s obviously a hot spot so I’ll have to watch it next time I buy shoes. Given the holes, that might be sooner than I’d otherwise need.  :(

« Reply #2011 on: 17 June, 2022, 05:25:36 am »
Yay!!!  Up nice and early and preparing to get out for exercise.

I haven't done an early start since May 22nd when I last ran.  I'm off to the gym for a 6:30 start.  Hope that the aircon is working ... 

I am easing back with yoga and strength and conditioning sessions but do hope to find the tuits for running somewhere in the bottom of my kitbag soon.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2012 on: 17 June, 2022, 11:14:16 am »
I didn’t manage to get out of bed early like Mr Bear, nor even a reasonable time! But I did manage to go out for a third run, so that’s week on completed.

Observations

I’m feeling stronger already, and I’m enjoying the running bits, although I think I’m going to stick to the programme for a bit longer yet. Maybe my not as low start might help me raise my fitness level a bit hire than previously. I’ll try and push a bit harder maybe.

Knees. Not crippling, just niggling. 60 years of use and abuse catching up I suppose

Shoes. The shoe/blister interface was sore, especially when walking. I wore my running socks today, but as they are long compression socks they’re a pain to put on. When I pointed out to Dr Beardy the holes in the heels of my shoes, her response was ‘all runners say they need new shoes’. I think I’ve created a monster in encouraging her to get into running. She has intimated that she might authorise a new pair of socks!

Onwards and upwards.

« Reply #2013 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:05:54 pm »
What size feet are you Beardy?  I could send you one of my pairs of Runderwear anti blister running socks to try if you'd like.  Not sure how but I seem to have an excess of them ???  Well used of course but properly laundered and still in very serviceable condition.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2014 on: 19 June, 2022, 11:35:21 am »
Thanks Dave, I might take you upon that.  :thumbsup:

I’ve been out for another run. That’s run 1 of week 2. Blimey.

Observations

Having Dr Beardy on the same programme as me is very motivating. She can get a bit obsessive when she’s committed to doing something, and as she is an early riser she’s generally done her run before I’m awake. Knowing that she’s been out when I wake up kind of pushes me to do the same. The only problem is running shoes now cost twice as much!

The end sound for the first run caught me by surprise, which was nice, but by run 6 I was watching the time tick by. 

It’s interesting to note that my cadence, both when running and walking, is pretty much metronomic, but my stride length and thus pace is all over the place. Well, I find it interesting  :P

Talking of shoes, I’m going to try and repair the holes in the heel lining because they’ve only done a couple of hundred k or so, and are otherwise ok.

All in all, I’m enjoying my running and am extra happy to have Dr Beardy involved as well

« Reply #2015 on: 20 June, 2022, 05:23:07 am »
Yay!!!  Up nice and early and preparing to get out for exercise ...

I'm up early again but this time I plan to do a couple of kms running at a nice, sedate pace.

Time to stretch

« Reply #2016 on: 20 June, 2022, 06:45:54 am »
And done.  3.28kms at a steady pace and negative splits.  Surprisingly enjoyable too.  👍

I'll get back to 5kms in a week or two.  I'm only planning to do 2 runs per week for a while whilst I build up my strength and conditioning sessions in the gym and also do more yoga.  I am hoping that the variety keeps me motivated as much as anything.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2017 on: 21 June, 2022, 11:16:04 am »
And another one done.

Observations.

I can feel improvement each time I go out. I don’t know if this is because my fitness is increasing faster because I started from a higher base this time or because having run in recent memory I’m more aware of my fitness than before. Either way, I’m enjoying my running.

Dr Beardy almost chased me out this morning because she’d already been out. I just need to find a way of getting my sorry arse out of bed earlier, although that’s been a life long battle.

My heels seem to be hardening up, but I’m going to have a go at mending my shoes.

I’m going to start adding a stretching routine into my post run cool done as well.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2018 on: 23 June, 2022, 11:37:36 am »
Week two completed.

It was a bit warmer this morning and so I’m attributing the extra effort needed to that.

The expected aches and pains of a 60+yo body that’s been used and abused. The high tonnage of the subject is imposing a greater workload on the legs and, in particular, knees. The diet continues; the weight loss slow.

Big decision is whether to have one or two days of rest before embarking on W3, although I suspect tomorrow evenings outing might have an impact on the decision come Saturday morn.

« Reply #2019 on: 23 June, 2022, 12:19:17 pm »
Well done Beardy.

I chickened out this morning as it was just too warm for me.  I went for an 8k walk instead.

Keep up the good work.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2020 on: 23 June, 2022, 03:51:48 pm »
A very late update - I've been running every weekday for a couple of months now. The sweet spot for me is just under 5km.

I have no goals - other than to get out every weekday, rain or shine (it's the shine I like the least!) And it's been brilliant - small, regular runs are really good for you.

I used to aim for longer - but that became a rod for my own back: "I'm not going far or fast enough": This made it easy to 'miss' a morning - and then you always miss more.

The short distance, and the freedom to walk when it feels too hard, means I'm always happy to get into shoes and get out the door.

Even after an audax - I'll still go for a run: But expect to walk LOTS for a day or two.

Running in smaller chunks, and with less pressure to never walk has made each morning quite fun now. AND I've been injury free - I just stretch my calf muscles half way around each run.

Good luck to you all!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2021 on: 25 June, 2022, 11:37:26 am »
Week 3 started.

It was a bit harder this morning, but quite a lot of that is probably due to the BEER I drank last night and the subsequent late night. But I did it. So I’m quite pleased.

We’re going a way for a few days next week, to the hills of Yorkshire, so finding both the time and a flat enough location to run is going to be difficult. But we’ll see.

« Reply #2022 on: 27 June, 2022, 08:03:02 am »
Yup.  The running mojo has definitely deserted me.  I went for a walk this morning instead. 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2023 on: 27 June, 2022, 10:27:01 am »
I hope it comes back soon PB, even mine came back. Eventually. I have to say though, that when my mojo deserted me, I stopped all exercise, but it seems you’re doing more exercise than ever, so maybe your mojo will return sooner.  :)

I’ve just completed week 3 run two and even extended my final 3 minute run to 4 minutes. I’m really enjoying it at the moment, Dr Beardy less so. But she’s still getting out at stupid o’clock to do the sessions.   

The only observation of any note this morning is that it’s a lot easier to run without a hangover than with.  ::-)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2024 on: 29 June, 2022, 12:07:09 pm »
And that’s week three completed.

A bit trick due to being in the west end of Yorkshire and flat ground not really being a thing around here. But I managed to do it ok. 

As we’re in Yorkshire until Saturday I’ve now got to decide if,I’m going to attempt to do another run here, or whether to take a few days off and resume on Sunday once we’re home. I’ll take a look at the details of the session and see if I can fit the runs and walks into the partially flat bits and more hill bits respectively. Or I might just boy it off  ;D