Author Topic: BMX  (Read 10934 times)

Jakob

Re: BMX
« Reply #50 on: 09 August, 2012, 11:51:59 pm »
Can I commit heresy and suggest that BMX is a prime candidate for this thread?

Pah!  It's an excellent Olympic sport.  It fulfils the "higher, faster, stronger" criteria more than a lot of other Olympic sports.

I agree, the racing is fantastic, and ideal for the MTV (and later) generations with the attention span of a gnat.  If they decide to add the street and vert though, that would be a true tragedy.

Skateboarding is slowly heading that way with Street League Skateboarding...but none of the guys competing in that can hold a candle to <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GyfzmzYXDzY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GyfzmzYXDzY&rel=1</a>

Similar with BMX...you just can't imagine an Olympic setup like this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GyfzmzYXDzY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GyfzmzYXDzY&rel=1</a>
(Watch it all the way through..it's worth it!).

BMX racing has always been a very different culture to freestyle BMX. Freestyle is much more of a street culture, almost directly linked with skateboarding.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #51 on: 10 August, 2012, 12:03:24 am »
I was always a bit "meh" about BMX bikes until I caught some of it on the little telly with the sound off in the pub tonight.
Wow!  That is a true Olympian sport.
Those guys are NUTS!  But skilfully nuts.

Foopball, tennis and (is it true, next Olympics?) golf, hang your head in shame.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 10 August, 2012, 12:25:34 am »
Okay, I just tracked some down on iplayer.  Nobody told me that they'd reconstructed one of the tracks from Skidmarks in solid concrete, stuck a ski jump ramp on the end of it and then invited people to chuck themselves down it on children's bikes!

Seriously, wow!

(I can't help but have an Alan Partridge[1] "Shit! Did you see that!" commentary in the back of my head while watching it...)

[1] In his earlier incarnation as sports desk anchor on The Day Today.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #53 on: 10 August, 2012, 12:31:03 am »
Ah, thanks for that, bobb. So the low gear is for fast acceleration out of the gate. Makes sense.

d.
I've seen BMXes in uphill racing and they accelerate off the line far faster than road bikes, fixies and MTBs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #54 on: 10 August, 2012, 07:16:07 am »
Sorry - but the participants being a sandwich short of a picnic is not the basis for making something an Olympic sport.

And as for skateboarding, FFS  :facepalm:.... if the becomes an Olympic sport (or even a demonstration sport) you know that the lunatics have taken over the asylum and the sponsors have had their way.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jakob

« Reply #55 on: 10 August, 2012, 08:15:51 am »

And as for skateboarding, FFS  :facepalm:..

What's wrong with skateboarding?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #56 on: 10 August, 2012, 08:20:55 am »

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with skateboarding, but it falls into the same category as Dressage and Synch drowning Swimming, whereby the medals are awarded by points amassed for how good people think you are, not by a demonstrable stronger, higher, faster measure.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #57 on: 10 August, 2012, 08:27:39 am »
Skateboards using the BMX start ramp and tracks would be great!

« Reply #58 on: 10 August, 2012, 09:37:28 am »
The horse dancing is probably the least Olympic sport I've seen so far.  The cross country and show jumping are all good (but the riders should be assigned a horse at random! :)).  Wrong thread, probably!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #59 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:22:01 am »
That was the problem. This is one of the reasons why bar end plugs are mandatory for competition. Handlebar organectomies are not pleasant things.

Best mate did that to his spleen on The Mound in 1978.

He always a helmet now.

The last bit is a lie.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #60 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:36:31 am »

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with skateboarding, but it falls into the same category as Dressage and Synch drowning Swimming, whereby the medals are awarded by points amassed for how good people think you are, not by a demonstrable stronger, higher, faster measure.

Does it matter? Someone is still better than the rest. And it's not like it's just a case of a panel of 6 old ladies saying "oooh, I like that one", since there are set moves to incorporate and do well. All the gymnastics, as far as I know, rely on a judge panel scoring them, and I don't see so many people scoffing at those as they are at dressage.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 10 August, 2012, 04:46:03 pm »
Wow.

Well, that was fantastic TV. Not remotely Olympian, but great entertainment!

I must confess, I didn't know until the final race that they use clipless pedals  :facepalm: And only then cos of the poor chap that came unclipped in mid-air!

Good crashes, too  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #62 on: 10 August, 2012, 04:48:01 pm »
6th

She'll be gutted
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #63 on: 10 August, 2012, 05:12:00 pm »
6th

She'll be gutted

Luckily, not literally. When the reporter handed back to studio, she said "Well, no medals, but no major injuries either".  Comes to something when "nobody died!" is a good result!

« Reply #64 on: 10 August, 2012, 05:32:57 pm »
Comes to something when "nobody died!" is a good result!

They're going completely over the top with all the crash stuff talk. 99.9% of the time, they just get straight up.

I would imagine you are statistically more likely to die riding a bicycle on the road for nothing more than leisure than you are racing a BMX on a dirt track....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #65 on: 10 August, 2012, 05:43:06 pm »
6th

She'll be gutted

Luckily, not literally. When the reporter handed back to studio, she said "Well, no medals, but no major injuries either".  Comes to something when "nobody died!" is a good result!

She wasn't referring to people dying, she was referring to major injuries which one assumes are similar to those resulting from liver/spleen as not up thread.

As always though, never let fact get in the way of a good post.

(Now waiting for Kirst to comment on my tedious criticism!)

« Reply #66 on: 10 August, 2012, 05:47:07 pm »
6th

She'll be gutted

She wasn't referring to people dying, she was referring to major injuries which one assumes are similar to those resulting from liver/spleen as not up thread.

Oh for gods sake, it was a joke!

I'm getting quite pissed off with this place recently.

« Reply #67 on: 10 August, 2012, 05:53:00 pm »
Can people please stop quoting Veloman? I've got him on ignore, but whenever someone quotes him I get to see his inane bullshit.

Ta.

« Reply #68 on: 10 August, 2012, 05:59:13 pm »
I would imagine you are statistically more likely to die riding a bicycle on the road for nothing more than leisure than you are racing a BMX on a dirt track....

Glad to see you picked up on the reference to dying in a BMX race.

Inane whatever?

« Reply #69 on: 10 August, 2012, 06:04:01 pm »
Can people please stop quoting Veloman? I've got him on ignore, but whenever someone quotes him I get to see his inane bullshit.

Ta.
I didn't even know you could do that - is there a hidden button?
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #70 on: 10 August, 2012, 06:05:08 pm »
6th

She'll be gutted

In fairness, it is fairly tedious. And humourless.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #71 on: 10 August, 2012, 06:05:46 pm »
Stop it!!!  :P

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #72 on: 10 August, 2012, 06:07:20 pm »
Inane whatever?

Bullshit.

Sorry bobb. I'll make it up to you in six sleeps.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #73 on: 10 August, 2012, 06:45:46 pm »
Threads to post to to save spoiling good threads: Tedius Inane Bullshit Bin and Pendants' Corner.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Piemaster

« Reply #74 on: 10 August, 2012, 09:17:24 pm »
The horse dancing is probably the least Olympic sport I've seen so far.  The cross country and show jumping are all good (but the riders should be assigned a horse at random! :)).  Wrong thread, probably!

+1
On a par with the dancing dog in Britains Got Talent