Author Topic: Red Robins  (Read 1118 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Red Robins
« on: 07 February, 2009, 09:14:22 pm »
Hmm today I saw two of them, one right outside our front door and the other one when I went trough a park on my way home.

Clearly one like this one.

But for some reason I have been told that they are very rare and very shy so you don't get to see them at all.

Though over the last 3 or so month I have seen them quite often, and I'm not a bird watcher that deliberate go out to watch birds. I only see them if they fly by me, and I can rarely identify the birds.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Red Robins
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2009, 09:45:41 pm »
AFAIK Robins are very cheeky! They are known for sitting on gardeners spades, waiting for them to dig up some worms.

This one was interested in our bike fettling:

It wasn't shy, we were sat only a few inches away from the bike, on a campsite in Lochcarron, so not a park in a great metropolis either. :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2009, 09:49:30 pm »
We have a robin in our back garden, that I enjoy seeing.

Another treat is sitting in the cafe at Oaks Park, Carshalton, looking out of the window, where a number of robins are to be seen.  On monday, we counted five!
Getting there...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2009, 09:49:51 pm »
Have one in our garden (too), often see it perched on my handlebars when I look out of the kitchen window

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2009, 10:04:32 pm »
Definitely not a shy bird or particularly rare. We have at least two in our garden, they do teh sitting on your spade handle thing and follow right behind you when weeding hoping you turn up some grubs. You can train them quite easily to take food from your hand. They are very territorial though and will fight each other quite violently.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2009, 10:06:19 pm »
Just checked the RSPB web site and there are apparantly just under 6 million that breed in the UK never mind migrants so not rare.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.