Author Topic: Nom vom nom  (Read 1992 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Nom vom nom
« on: 23 March, 2009, 09:06:50 am »
We are having problems with Montezuma.  He's taken to upchucking his Iams dried food and then eating it again.  It seems to be entirely behavioural, because what comes up is pretty much almost exactly what's been eaten some minutes ago.  Unfortunately, being a kitteh of leisure, the little bastard's preferred location for this post-prandial regurgitation is on the sofa and it's giving me the right hump. 

I've washed the sofa cover about three times in a week and there's now a plastic sheet over the sofa, on top of which is an old throw.  It's getting silly.

He was taken off the Whiskers wet food a few months ago because he was producing stools of such astoundingly loose consistency that he was pebble dashing the inside of his kitteh poo-house.  The Iams is more expensive but he seems to really like it and he's pooing more or less normally now.  It wasn't worms because he gets the worming pills regularly.  I also (yuk) had a look in his turds.

Since he started the puking, we've tried giving him his food three times a day rather than two.  He's always got plenty of water about and we've even tried putting plastic balls in with his food so he has to eat it more slowly.

What we're going to do is to get him a proper cat bed so he doesn't have to sleep on the sofa.  In fact, we're going to ban him from the sofa and see if we can't persuade him that he's no longer allowed on there.  It worked for the bed - he won't try and jump up on there now.

We're also going to feed him in the spare room where it's nearer to the cat flap.  In fact, all his catty accouterments are going to live in there; bed, food and litter tray.  So we can shut the door if needs be and ban him from the rest of the house whilst we're away.

Has anyone else had experience of cats doing this sort of thing?  Is it actually behavioural?  Or should we be more worried?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Nom vom nom
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:15:14 am »
Alfie vomits like a trooper.
It is simpler than it looks.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:17:07 am »
Hairball ? It's that moulty time of year.

You can get animal-flavoured lax-a-paste (really) that they love and will eat off your finger.  That should do the trick.

I'm not sure cats vomit at will, so whilst the re-eating may be unpleasant for you, I don't think it's a planned activity for him

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:20:19 am »
Beltane's always been chunderous.  It's particularly bad when she has favourite food, 'cos she'll overeat then it will swell inside 'er and cone out in a stream of moist warm still-recognisable kibbles.   :sick:

She doesn't eat them up again.  Damn messy beast.  I found that noisy intimidation got her off the furniture, but I can't get her to warf up outside as opposed to, say, on my carpets...

Do cats learn a barfing-place?  If so, then treating the area with antibac "accident cleanup" will remove scent triggers. 

My management strategy is simple: small portions.  Teeny. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2009, 10:06:52 am »
Pippin has a tendency to chuck after she's eaten, I too think it's cos she eats too much dried food at once and then it swells up.
She doesn't re-eat it, but Mojo will stampede through a herd of elephants to hoover up her warmed-up biscuitty delicacy.
Still, it saves me from cleaning it up I suppose.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2009, 06:54:02 pm »
Cats do deliberately vomit - they eat grass to make themselves blow chunks.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2009, 07:32:15 pm »
Robot Tabbyface used to stuff her little face too quickly and then throw up shortly afterwards. She was also a top cat for producing furballs. Cures were furball-paste from the vet - which sorta-worked - and trying to make sure that there was food out most of the time, which halted the bolting-it-down voms some (but caused all cats to get a bit lardier). I think we managed to get it from near-daily vommings to once or twice a month.

She vommed on the sofa a lot, and also on my pillows. There wasn't a malicious bone in her little cat body, though, and she always seemed really upset about it. I would never have been able to ban her from sofa or bed (she was a very lap-ish cat and a snuggly bed companion cat).

« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2009, 09:59:10 am »
Hazel vomits sometimes. Usually after one two many small furry creatures I think. She has an endless supply from the field over the road.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2009, 06:27:30 pm »
She vommed on the sofa a lot, and also on my pillows.

zOMG.

I've always thought I was quite tolerant of kitteh foibles but that's way over The Line As I Know It.

If Monty takes up pillow-vomming I'll be sending him on a one-way trip to the taxidermist.

« Reply #9 on: 27 March, 2009, 06:57:58 pm »
Part of the trouble is that cat's seem to be able to vomit much more easily and "to order" than we do.  Having said that, on the odd occasion when I've found Tali mid-vomit, he doesn't half make a song and dance about it, and doesn't seem exactly comfortable.

Luckily his preferred location seems to be the hall carpet, which is hardly pristine (someone managed to get black bicycle muck/grease on it :-[), but it would be easier if he did it on the lino in the kitchen.

Aside from his illness a few weeks back, he's only every vomited in the house a couple of times, so I think I've been pretty lucky with him.  He isn't really all that keen on sleeping on the sofa or bed, his favourite location seems to be in the middle of the hall, next to the radiator!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #10 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:24:58 pm »
She vommed on the sofa a lot, and also on my pillows.

zOMG.

I've always thought I was quite tolerant of kitteh foibles but that's way over The Line As I Know It.

If Monty takes up pillow-vomming I'll be sending him on a one-way trip to the taxidermist.

Years ago I got into bed one night, and as I slid under the duvet I found that the bed had a nice present of cold kitty vom in it.

The only thing that saved the furry little shit was that I didn't know which of the two it was!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:40:33 am »
...he's only every vomited in the house a couple of times...

That was askng for it, guess what I found in the hall last night when I got home! Still, it seeemed to mostly be hairball, so relatively easily cleaned up, only minimal use of the carpet cleaner.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #12 on: 30 March, 2009, 06:41:09 pm »

The only way to prevent it would have been to ban her from the bedroom, and that would have made both of us really sad. Pillow-vommings were not *pleasant*, but they're easily cleaned up.