Author Topic: Missing spanner  (Read 3384 times)

Re: Missing spanner
« Reply #25 on: 29 March, 2021, 03:09:25 pm »
Edit to previous comment

I thought metric bolts and machine screws with hexagonal heads for turning with a spanner or socket, went straight from 3 to 5.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
Darn it https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_HexHd_M4_THRfull.html
Learn something gnew every day

What's DIN931 that it's not to be confused with DIN933?

Thread pitch i think

Nope.

It is fully threaded vs partly threaded.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #26 on: 29 March, 2021, 03:20:47 pm »
I need to go out into the garage and start sorting the stuff I've dumped in it the last few weeks, I'm still using my duff knee as an excuse not to.

I'm sure it'll be better enough tomorrow...

« Reply #27 on: 29 March, 2021, 03:26:03 pm »
That reminds me, I wanted a 5.5mm spanner for something recently, as the parallel action pliers[1] were a bit chunky for the space involved.

[1] If you don't already own some, you should.  They're one of those tools that keeps coming in useful, in spite of having no obvious purpose.
This. Bit expensive, but really nice. I have the mini and a big one.

I didn't know I wantedneeded one o' them. I should know better than to click on Knipex links.

Davef

« Reply #28 on: 29 March, 2021, 03:31:59 pm »
Edit to previous comment

I thought metric bolts and machine screws with hexagonal heads for turning with a spanner or socket, went straight from 3 to 5.

Darn it https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_HexHd_M4_THRfull.html
Learn something gnew every day

What's DIN931 that it's not to be confused with DIN933?

Thread pitch i think

Nope.

It is fully threaded vs partly threaded.
I was close.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:33:54 pm »
That reminds me, I wanted a 5.5mm spanner for something recently, as the parallel action pliers[1] were a bit chunky for the space involved.

[1] If you don't already own some, you should.  They're one of those tools that keeps coming in useful, in spite of having no obvious purpose.

I keep meaning to buy a 5.5mm nut driver in order to deep-clean my Model M keyboards, and then not doing so.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #30 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:44:32 pm »
I know that I got the 7mm spanner I have for a specific task, but I cannot remember what that task was. It definitely wasn't hydraulic brakes.

The 7mm spanner in my set gets used to open and close the central heating drain cocks.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #31 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:09:19 pm »

The VW T5 pollen filter cover is held in place by one of those. No idea why they chose such an unusual size. They could have put just about anything in there - it is just a coarse self tapper holding a plastic cover onto a plastic housing. A Torx head to match everything else would be nice. Or a Pozidrive. But no, a 5.5mm with no room to get an adjustable in there.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:27:42 pm »
I know that I got the 7mm spanner I have for a specific task, but I cannot remember what that task was. It definitely wasn't hydraulic brakes.

The 7mm spanner in my set gets used to open and close the central heating drain cocks.
I think it was probably mudguard stay nuts I got mine for.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #33 on: 01 April, 2021, 06:40:03 pm »
My Shimano hydraulic callipers came with a 7mm spanner

« Reply #34 on: 01 April, 2021, 06:56:13 pm »
There’s a long tradition of cycle brakes needing unusual sizes of tools.
Anyone else remember the 3.5mm hex key vital for Campag Delta brakes ? A size neede for no other purpose I know of.

There was mirror (Mirrycycle?) that could be fitted above old school drop bar brakes,  that used a 9/64" hex key - which came with warning that if you ever lost it you were in trouble.
Fortunately the 3.5mm would work as well - being only the thickness of human hair different

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 01 April, 2021, 07:18:36 pm »
The Mirrycle certainly uses one of those weird imperial size Allen keys.  I blame USAnians.

Ah, it turns out there's an old drop bar brake version.  The more common one fits into a bar end.  Maybe one day they'll work out how to make a band-on version, and give B&M some competition.

« Reply #36 on: 01 April, 2021, 07:27:50 pm »
Simple to install, too.

http://www.mirrycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/original-instructions.pdf

3. Drill the hole out using a 13/64” drill bit.
4. Tap the hole using a 1/4 - 28 tap. Since you
have tapped the hole, you will not need to use the
lock nut

Who needs band-on fitting when you can rely upon your customer having 13/64" drill bits and 1/4-28 taps ?  (albeit for the Campagnolo fitting) . And some people complain about a missing spanner  :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #37 on: 02 April, 2021, 07:15:49 am »
7mm is used for the locknut on most SPD bearings.  I have a 7mm ring spanner because SO briefly had a Vauxhall Corsa, and it fitted something on that.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #38 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:41:42 am »
Simple to install, too.

http://www.mirrycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/original-instructions.pdf

3. Drill the hole out using a 13/64” drill bit.
4. Tap the hole using a 1/4 - 28 tap. Since you
have tapped the hole, you will not need to use the
lock nut

Who needs band-on fitting when you can rely upon your customer having 13/64" drill bits and 1/4-28 taps ?  (albeit for the Campagnolo fitting) . And some people complain about a missing spanner  :)

Fortunately my brakes were Weinman (Style 2) so it was the simpler install.
They were still pretty shite mirrors though.