Author Topic: Coast and Castles  (Read 1411 times)

Coast and Castles
« on: 26 February, 2023, 11:54:46 am »
Hello,
Me and my 11 and 14 year-olds are doing the NCN Coast and Castles route in May half-term. Trains and bike reservations booked, so that's the hard bit! We are considering ending at Berwick or Dunbar in order to make time for other activities - a friend recommended the Farne Isles boat trip, and we will have to spend a day in Barter Books in Alnwick.

We want to stay at Alnwick hostel and YHA Berwick. Does anyone have any recommendations for bike-friendly accommodation between the two? Maybe somewhere like Bamburgh or Seahouses?

Other bike-friendly accommodation recommendations would be most welcome - I've already spotted the Premier Inn at Ashington which we will probably make use of. Buy one adult breakfast, get two kids free, oh yes.  ;D

Re: Coast and Castles
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2023, 09:14:49 pm »
There are a few independent hostels - Chathill and Chatham off the top of my head. Plus Wooler but that's a fair bit inland.

We all stayed in Chathill a few years back, it was lovely, it's probably the whole place only, mind. If it's even still open.

Have a good ride, it's alright round there, but keep it to yourselves ;)

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2023, 09:15:11 pm »
I stayed in a friendly place looking into the sea in Seahouses when I rode that way. It’s closed now. Which isn’t much help, but I hope you have a great ride.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2023, 10:23:12 pm »
Many years ago we stayed at Springhill farm near Seahouses, in a bunkhouse/hostel. It looks like they don't have that now but do have wigwams.

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2023, 01:00:14 pm »
My parents live in Dunbar, so I have no personal experience of this place, which has opened quite recently (after being refurbished I think):
https://dolphindunbar.com/
but it does mention "secure bike and board storage" (those will be surfboards, Dunbar is popular for surfing). Might be worth a look (I certainly can't think of anything else similar in Dunbar).

« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2023, 01:50:29 pm »
Brill, thanks team! Had forgotten about searching for independent hostels, doh. Useful to know about surfing storage as something with a side benefit for us!