General Category > The Knowledge

Adapting cantilevers from 27" to 700C

(1/2) > >>

drossall:
I really ought to replace the front rim on my (upright) trike, which has 27" rims. It would make sense to go to 700C for all the obvious reasons. However, like most trikes it has cantilevers, and AFAIK you usually have to get the bosses moved for those. Is there a workaround? A design of cantilever with some up/down adjustment?

It goes without saying that replacing the rear rims has no such issues :)

robgul:
I changed the wheels on my Ken Rogers trike from 27 to 700 and the existing front brakes (the usual arrangement of 2) needed a bit of adjustment on the block positions but they work fine.

Rob

Zoidburg:
Dia Compe made a canti brake that had an ecentric mount, these would work in the same frame with both 27" or 700 wheels

Its a case of finding a pair, we had some but I put them on SS retro rigid rockhopper that has since been sold on

Its a case of looking for NOS I afraid

tatanab:
It works fine.  Remember this is what we did in the not too distant past when we rode 27" wheels and changed to sprints for racing.

drossall:
Thanks for the encouragement. Obviously my received wisdom was wrong. I'll do what I should have done in the first place, and try it with a 700C wheel borrowed from a bike! Doesn't make sense to go to all the trouble of buying a rim and building a defunct size.

Of course the trike will slope forwards slightly until I get around to rebuilding the rear wheels, but I don't think I'll notice...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version