Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143058 times)

LEE

Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #125 on: 03 July, 2012, 04:39:43 pm »
All the hype about Sagan's ability seems to be based firmly in reality. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #126 on: 03 July, 2012, 05:10:12 pm »
Whatever Hobby Runter says, I liked Peter Sagan's victory salute today  :D

I liked it too! Not sure what the fuck it was supposed to be, but I liked it  :)

It was silly, he looked like a prat (or a footballer).  But it was his stage win, so he can pretty much do as he likes.
Getting there...

« Reply #127 on: 03 July, 2012, 05:16:32 pm »
It was silly

It was silly. Which makes it fun.

Imagine how much more interesting the tennis would be if Andy Murray substituted the clenched fist "COME ON!!" after winning an important point for a Sagan style dance around the court!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

LEE

« Reply #128 on: 03 July, 2012, 05:18:37 pm »
It was silly

Imagine how much more interesting the tennis would be if Andy Murray substituted the clenched fist "COME ON!!" after winning an important point for a Sagan style dance around the court!  :P

Characters are banned in Tennis now.  It upsets the cat-loving spinsters in the crowd (or "The Crowd" as they are better known) too much.

« Reply #129 on: 03 July, 2012, 05:21:49 pm »
Whatever Hobby Runter says, I liked Peter Sagan's victory salute today  :D

I liked it too! Not sure what the fuck it was supposed to be, but I liked it  :)

It was a T-1000

near the end. I'm hoping he goes through these one by one ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #130 on: 03 July, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »
I want him to do the Peter Crouch robot dance.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBlzG-EWj38&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HBlzG-EWj38&rel=1</a>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #131 on: 03 July, 2012, 05:58:29 pm »
It was silly

;D  You have totally convinced me! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #132 on: 03 July, 2012, 06:55:27 pm »
It was a T-1000
Not sure what Sagan you watched but he said himself that it was Forrest Gump. 

I don't get it either!  ???

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #133 on: 03 July, 2012, 07:08:39 pm »
The bestest, happiest, classiest has to be Eros Poli's celebration of his unlikely win on the stage over Ventoux. Watch it at about 5min, and don't miss the nonchalant toss of his cap into the crowd.  :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RxTnLaH3gVA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RxTnLaH3gVA&rel=1</a>
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #134 on: 03 July, 2012, 08:01:15 pm »
Lol! His victory dance thingy doesn't seem to be noticeably more arrogant than any other - and he has won, so celebration is in order. Besides, none of this is anything compared to what footballers routinely do after a single goal.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #135 on: 03 July, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »
The bestest, happiest, classiest has to be Eros Poli's celebration of his unlikely win on the stage over Ventoux. Watch it at about 5min, and don't miss the nonchalant toss of his cap into the crowd.  :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RxTnLaH3gVA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RxTnLaH3gVA&rel=1</a>
Little Cudzo's comments questions as we watched:
What language is that?
Where is it?
Is that you?
 ;D  :o

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #136 on: 03 July, 2012, 10:03:28 pm »
They're not as good as Fuzzy's, but here are some of my shots from the prologue.

This couple weren't racing the Tour du France, or going anywhere near it.  Rather, they were touring Holland on a pair of Choppers!  Seen here about to disembark the Rotterdam ferry.

Just as I reached this town, I felt an urgent something stirring down inside of me ...

I stayed with friends in Maastricht and rode the 30km down to Liege each day.  On the Saturday, we tagged along behind three guys on standard Dutch roadsters.  They were only doing about 16k-18ph but we were impressed when they formed an echelon into the wind.  We were even more impressed when they started a rotating pace line! Two of them are father and son, ex-racers both.

On the day of the prologue, we installed ourselves about 2km from the finish, inside the circuit and outside a little bar which mainly seemed to have Congolese people inside it, and which had set up a TV to watch the race.  When we saw someone outside who we were interested in, we'd dash inside to see how they finished.

Bernie Eisel

Marcel Kittel

Alex Txurruka (never heard of him, I just like the photo)

Peter Sagan - well after his unclipped moment

Frank Schleck

Watching Bradley Wiggins on the bar's TV

The next day, we just had time to watch the start before I caught my train to Zeebrugge for the ferry home.  Here's the front of the race in the neutralised zone

...and here they are again

« Reply #137 on: 03 July, 2012, 10:25:52 pm »

I remember that. IIRC he was about 20 minutes ahead at the foot of the climb, & lost 17 minutes of it by the top. But did he care? He was expecting to be caught on the way up. Damn good sprinter, but he'd only gone off the front because he was such a bad climber he wanted to build up a big lead to be safe from failing to make the cut - and that was why nobody chased him for a long time. They took it for granted they'd take him on the climb, until it was too late. He was looking over his shoulder for the chasers from about half-way up, & I don't think he really believed he'd reach the top first until he was almost there.

I really, really enjoyed that. Perhaps the most unexpected stage win ever, & one of the most popular.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #138 on: 03 July, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »
Marcel Kittel
Now I'm having visions of Mr White saying "If you win this race, you die next. Repeat. If you win this race, you die next."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Tour de France 2012
« Reply #139 on: 03 July, 2012, 10:53:31 pm »
Alex Txurruka (never heard of him, I just like the photo)

Amets Txurruka, iirc. You'll see a lot more of him in the mountain stages. And yes, it's a very nice pic. :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #140 on: 03 July, 2012, 10:59:56 pm »
Sometimes called a Spanish professional cyclist. Given his name & who he rides for, I expect he calls himself a Basque, & there'll be red white & green flags waving for him in the Pyrenees.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #141 on: 03 July, 2012, 11:05:21 pm »
The next time Sagan wins a stage, he should do the Timewarp. Without un-clipping. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #142 on: 03 July, 2012, 11:08:58 pm »
Stage 3. What happened to Cav? I watched him outsprint (as well as out-think) Sagan at the intermediate sprint, after which I lost him for the remainder of the stage and have no clue as to where he was at the finish. Where was he?

I was chuffed though, with only 2 riders out of the 198 in the race from Slovakia, to see the two Slovaks finish today in 1st and 3rd places.

No chance for Cav today.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #143 on: 03 July, 2012, 11:18:07 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RxTnLaH3gVA
I remember that. IIRC he was about 20 minutes ahead at the foot of the climb, & lost 17 minutes of it by the top. But did he care? He was expecting to be caught on the way up. Damn good sprinter, but he'd only gone off the front because he was such a bad climber he wanted to build up a big lead to be safe from failing to make the cut - and that was why nobody chased him for a long time. They took it for granted they'd take him on the climb, until it was too late. He was looking over his shoulder for the chasers from about half-way up, & I don't think he really believed he'd reach the top first until he was almost there.

I really, really enjoyed that. Perhaps the most unexpected stage win ever, & one of the most popular.

He wasn't so much a sprinter as a lead-out man, he was part of the 100km  time trial Gold medal wining team in the 1984 Olympics and won the amateur worlds TTT in 1987, those were the days of 'shamateurism' and the Italians were masters of it. He therefore turned pro late in his career. On the stage he won, a young rider staged a break on a hot day when it was agreed that they'd have a day off, which happens between the two mountain ranges. Eros was annoyed and chased him down to prove a point, then he just kept going with a tailwind. He always wore a cap with the top cut out, so as not to endanger his locks, the belief being that wearing a cap, let alone a helmet, makes you go bald.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #144 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:01:48 am »

The last time I saw that much ability was with Ricco in '08.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #145 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:26:48 am »

The last time I saw that much ability was with Ricco in '08.

It did cross my mind..

« Reply #146 on: 04 July, 2012, 07:38:30 am »
Then why do the pair of you bother to watch  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #147 on: 04 July, 2012, 08:00:06 am »
Sagan has been an emerging talent for a few years. He is an all rounder in the Gilbert mould - can dispose of short punchy climbs and sprints well. Not yet good on the high mountains.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #148 on: 04 July, 2012, 08:00:38 am »
In the hope that I might see some clean performances. There is always hope...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #149 on: 04 July, 2012, 08:17:08 am »
Then why do the pair of you bother to watch  :-\
So they can chip in here with their cynical smart-arse comments. Obviously!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles