Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143724 times)

Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #425 on: 12 July, 2012, 12:12:45 pm »
Was the Wiggins swear fest recorded anywhere?

fuzzy

« Reply #426 on: 12 July, 2012, 12:17:28 pm »
a rider he regards as having a bit more panache.

Or does he resent losing to a rider who twiddles along smoothly and calmly instead of honking up hills pulling faces and swinging about like a bag of spanners in the traditional pro-cyclist manner?

I suspect he'd've hated Indurain, too.

SWMBO watched the highlights and commented that she thought Nibali's climbing style was like Contadors....

LEE

« Reply #427 on: 12 July, 2012, 01:46:55 pm »
That's not how Nibali interpreted it.
When we crossed the line, Bradley turned and looked at me. If he wants to be a great champion, he needs to have a bit of respect for his adversaries. Sometimes turning around and looking into your face is an insult.

I dunno, it's all ME, ME, ME with some people

That's what the doctor told me when I said I kept getting very tired during the day and felt generally lethargic.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #428 on: 12 July, 2012, 02:48:25 pm »
Yup. ITV4 Highlights show led with it on the day (bleeped, obviously!). So it must exist 'out there' somewhere.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #429 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:06:04 pm »
Well, it looks like Wiggo and Nibbles are mates again after their little cuddle across the finish line...

Great stage  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Chris S

« Reply #430 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:08:45 pm »
That was brill.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #431 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:08:58 pm »
Very good indeed. I think, bobb, that you have to be extremely careful: Wiggo's hair must be at least as cool as yours. It's the sideburns that make it. :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #432 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:09:29 pm »
Amazing stage. Froomy was on fire! Shame that Cuddles lost it a bit.

« Reply #433 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:12:04 pm »
Beyond exciting!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #434 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:12:46 pm »
a rider he regards as having a bit more panache.

Or does he resent losing to a rider who twiddles along smoothly and calmly instead of honking up hills pulling faces and swinging about like a bag of spanners in the traditional pro-cyclist manner?

that's a very well considered suspicion. :)

« Reply #435 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »
Very good indeed. I think, bobb, that you have to be extremely careful: Wiggo's hair must be at least as col as yours. It's the sideburns that make it. :P

I shall not be making an attempt to grow sideburns!

Anyway, how come you're so interested in Le Tour all of a sudden?!!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #436 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:22:31 pm »
Very good indeed. I think, bobb, that you have to be extremely careful: Wiggo's hair must be at least as col as yours. It's the sideburns that make it. :P

I shall not be making an attempt to grow sideburns!

Anyway, how come you're so interested in Le Tour all of a sudden?!!

It's not sudden. Life gets in the way and prevents me watching an entire stage, and I was first attracted to it by the scenery. It's given me alpine ambitions.

However, you look at the way these guys take on the Alps and, having experienced North Hill on a few occasions, one has empathy.

I reckon it's time Cadel Evans took up audax.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #437 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:24:10 pm »
Wow, Brad's on top of the pile, but there is still a long way to go.

It looked as if Chris Froome could have nicked the stage and put time into him though, if he had been allowed to.

Fantastic ride by Teejay who rode all over Cadel. he's another young rider for the future
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #438 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:37:12 pm »
Crumbs, that was brutal! Chapeau to the lot of them.  :o 8) :thumbsup:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #439 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:55:37 pm »
BTW, does anyone know if Rolland gets double points for mountain top finish?
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #440 on: 12 July, 2012, 06:06:04 pm »
Yup. ITV4 Highlights show led with it on the day (bleeped, obviously!). So it must exist 'out there' somewhere.

Been looking for it, but no joy so far.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #441 on: 12 July, 2012, 06:17:14 pm »
@Domestique @mattc The Wiggins considered response is quoted in full near the start of an interesting article at http://www.sportsscientists.com/2012/07/tour-in-mountains-analysis-discussion.html (Not sure of my source for that link ... apologies if it was from somebody from this parish.)
Super tactical race today - really exciting!
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

Hillbilly

« Reply #442 on: 12 July, 2012, 06:44:15 pm »
If I was Froome I'd be extremely frustrated having to carry another rider for the second time on a grand tour.  There is just the impression, like the Vuelta, that Sky is putting the brakes on him in order to deliver a win for a cyclist who is no stronger and probably less strong.

In some ways, the situation reminds me of Cunego in the year that he won the Giro (he was there to support someone else, but in that case simply asserted himself as the lead rider, despite the protestations of - from memory - Simeone).  Part of me wishes that Sky would give Froome the freedom to go for it, because at the moment it feels to me that we are going to end up with the weaker Sky rider being placed higher up the order.  That said, I suppose he is in an impossible position as Brad seems like a huffy chuffer who would throw his toys from the pram if dropped from number one slot.

Fingers crossed Froome gets to lead a team next season.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #443 on: 12 July, 2012, 06:51:26 pm »
If I was Froome I'd be extremely frustrated having to carry another rider for the second time on a grand tour.  There is just the impression, like the Vuelta, that Sky is putting the brakes on him in order to deliver a win for a cyclist who is no stronger and probably less strong.
But which of us hasn't thought that they could do better than the next guy up the hierarchy at some time in our careers , whatever area we have laboured in.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Tour de France 2012
« Reply #444 on: 12 July, 2012, 07:02:54 pm »
And Nibali had the cheek to moan about the Wiggo stare. He couldn't have been more hypocritical if he tried today. And Wiggo had the grace to say well done to  him at the line. I would have just said FAIL.

« Reply #445 on: 12 July, 2012, 07:18:38 pm »

Exactly. Much as we want to see a Brit win, we don't really want to see a repeat of the 1995 Tour, do we?

Blitzing the field with high-tempo group riding up mountains is hugely impressive, but it lacks the excitement of the mano a mano, suitcases of courage stuff we saw in stage 17 of last year's Vuelta.

d.

Today's effort OK for you? I thought it was brilliant to watch.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #446 on: 12 July, 2012, 07:20:58 pm »
Amazing stage. Froomy was on fire! Shame that Cuddles lost it a bit.

Yes, I felt for him. Van Garderen should be up there one year, though.

« Reply #447 on: 12 July, 2012, 07:29:59 pm »

Well, it is a team, and riders are used according to their strengths and according to a game plan. Bigger picture sort of thing. Froome's job is to help out Wiggo on the pointy bits, at the moment, and he's not (quite) as good a time-triallist. But, yes, he could be a winner with the right team backing, although whether he could be a team leader is another matter.

I just hope if he jumps ship, he goes to another team that supports its riders as well as Sky (if there is one). He could end up getting big bucks in the short term to move to another team with cr@p management, strategy, training, care for the riders and (dare I say it) ethics, which could be the end of him one way or another.

If I were him I'd stick with the Sky set-up and take over when Wiggo starts to fade.

« Reply #448 on: 12 July, 2012, 07:31:52 pm »
And Nibali had the cheek to moan about the Wiggo stare. He couldn't have been more hypocritical if he tried today. And Wiggo had the grace to say well done to  him at the line. I would have just said FAIL.

"Eh, Wiggo, you don' show 'nuff respec'."

Who did he think he was, the Mafia?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #449 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:10:31 pm »
Froome is riding awfully well.
Getting there...