Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143076 times)

Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #900 on: 21 July, 2012, 05:33:26 pm »
The current GC:

1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 84:26:31   
2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:03:21   
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:06:19

You have to pinch yourself to believe it.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #901 on: 21 July, 2012, 05:46:44 pm »
Indeed! I got in last night, and watched the highlights of Cav's sprint. From in front it looked effective, but seen from overhead--ye gods! And not just the wiinner but second as well: that is just as Tewdric says.

Who fancies Froome for yellow next year, and Cav lined up for green?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #902 on: 21 July, 2012, 08:09:49 pm »
Brilliant, just brilliant by both Froome and Wiggo, and Richie P as well.  3 Sky riders in top 5 for TT.
a message to the Australian Olympic selectors?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #903 on: 21 July, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »
Did my eyes deceive me, or was Wiggins using egg shaped chain rings?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

simonp

« Reply #904 on: 21 July, 2012, 08:43:17 pm »

« Reply #905 on: 21 July, 2012, 08:46:09 pm »
Did my eyes deceive me, or was Wiggins using egg shaped chain rings?

Yes, they've mentioned them several times on the ITV coverage.  I think that they also showed Chris Froome using them whilst he was warming up as well, so presumably he also uses them on the road.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #906 on: 21 July, 2012, 08:49:36 pm »
Ha! It's like Deja vu Biopace all over again.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #907 on: 21 July, 2012, 08:50:31 pm »
Was a joy to watch this today and you cant often say that thinks. What a team.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #908 on: 21 July, 2012, 08:59:20 pm »
Triumphal procession tomorrow.

"Mr Froome. How does it feel being the first British cyclist to come second in the Tour, after over 100 years in which no British rider has finished higher than fourth?"  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #909 on: 21 July, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »

Non-circular rings are one of those things which are periodically "invented", like solid tyres, drive shafts inside the chainstays, and clipless pedals.

Modern pedals are one case where they have eventually become mainstream, but most of the others just pop up every few years.  With rings, the orientation is also tweaked on each iteration, usually to explain why it's so much better this time than it was last time!  The shape also tends to change, often with the more extreme cases slowly being reduced, as Shimano did with Biopace rings.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #910 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:16:08 pm »
The thinking behind them is pretty solid though. And you can bet your bollocks to a barn dance Sky* wouldn't be using them if the numbers didn't add up.

Of course - if you really wanted to eliminate the dead spot - you'd just ride fixed  :P

*AFAIU Sky are not sponsored in any way by the manufacturers of said rings
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #911 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:35:33 pm »
OK, be gentle with me, 'cos I don't know as much as you guys. 
Next year, Froome and Cav will not be riding for Sky.  Why would they?
Wiggin's oft repeated quote "Froome will win one year and I'll be there to support him" sounds too much like Tony Blair in the 90's responding to questions about Gordon Brown.
Sky have MONEY.  They've done a Man City.  But I don't think Cav will be happy earning shed loads of money as a bottle carrier.
Looking forward to next year when it's not so boring as Wiggo and Froome battle it out on different teams.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #912 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:45:30 pm »
Next year, Froome and Cav will not be riding for Sky.  Why would they?

I guess all that depends whether or not their contracts are worth the paper they're written on or not. I have no idea if they can just bugger off after a year like footballers seem to even after they've signed a contract for a zillion years...

LEE

« Reply #913 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:50:06 pm »
I don't think Wiggins will win it again.

I think this has been Wiggins at his peak and there are a few young riders who are capable of putting some time into him in the hills.

As for whether he'll ride as a "Super Domestique" and collect a few stage wins well that's what Cav has done.  Wiggins can still get 2 TT stage wins and pick up a million quid from SKY. 

What would be sad is if Wiggins went the same way as Cadel.  He's looked a fairly sorry sight at times.

However...a million quid is a million quid.

Edit.  Final TT.  31mph !!!!!  Way to go Wiggo.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #914 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:04:18 pm »
OK.  'nuvver question from the one that doesn't know.  Has any team won the GC and Green Jersey in the same year?

« Reply #915 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:07:38 pm »
OK.  'nuvver question from the one that doesn't know.  Has any team won the GC and Green Jersey in the same year?

Merckx once won Yellow, Green and Mountains all in the same year. If the White jersey had existed then, he would have won that too! So yes!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #916 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:12:09 pm »

Merckx once won Yellow, Green and Mountains all in the same year. If the White jersey had existed then, he would have won that too! So yes!

Bloody hell!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #917 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:14:23 pm »
Merckx was called The Cannibal because he left nothing for anyone else to win.  There is a replica jersey that combines all three winning categories (yellow, green and polka dot) although I don't know if Merckx ever wore one.

Wiggers is almost over the hill in cycling terms; 32 is old, although if he were really committed (and had the same team, which probably ain't going to happen) he might make three wins and equal LeMond*.  The peak age is about 29 for a grand Tour.

Froome could have five in him but he needs to work on his TT.  Nearly all recent winners, and quite a few older ones, won it by also winning the TTs.  There is just too much time at stake.

*the 1986 Tour, when he battled with Hinault, was what Froome could do to Wiggers next year if they're both still with Sky.

BTW, Wiggers' time today wouldn't have been shameful for a "25"...but it was a "35".

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #918 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:14:52 pm »
Apart from Eddy (bobb posted while I was typing)... Yup, Telekom did it with Riis (GC) and Zabel (points) in '96, then again in '97 when Ullrich took yellow. Can't think of any teams that did it off the top of my head, must have happened though. Hinault took yellow & green in '79.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #919 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:21:00 pm »
Merckx was called The Cannibal because he left nothing for anyone else to win.  There is a replica jersey that combines all three winning categories (yellow, green and polka dot) although I don't know if Merckx ever wore one.

There was a combination classification award, which he naturally won in '69 (and multiple other years). Rankings for those scoring all three of the other categories.  Awarded 1968-75, 1980-83, 1985-89.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #920 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:26:28 pm »
Apart from Eddy (bobb posted while I was typing)... Yup, Telekom did it with Riis (GC) and Zabel (points) in '96, then again in '97 when Ullrich took yellow. Can't think of any teams that did it off the top of my head, must have happened though. Hinault took yellow & green in '79.

OK.  Thanks. 
It's not going to happen again though, is it?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #921 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:29:32 pm »

OK.  Thanks. 

Well, not this year. Liquigas might have done it with Nibali and Sagan this year if the Sky masterplan had fallen flat...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #922 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:32:27 pm »

Non-circular rings ... periodically "invented"

;D Very good.
Getting there...

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #923 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:41:00 pm »

OK.  Thanks. 

Well, not this year. Liquigas might have done it with Nibali and Sagan this year if the Sky masterplan had fallen flat...

Thanks for your tolerance Stu.   :thumbsup:

(Gosh - this is just like sitting in the Country Girl , pretending to the Cadbury lads that I know F all about football)

(Except this is actually interesting - and football isn't)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #924 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:46:34 pm »

OK.  Thanks. 

Thanks for your tolerance Stu.   :thumbsup:

(Gosh - this is just like sitting in the Country Girl , pretending to the Cadbury lads that I know F all about football)

(Except this is actually interesting - and football isn't)

You're welcome :)