Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3902865 times)

Davef

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23800 on: 08 August, 2020, 09:46:20 pm »
Aberdeen is currently on the COVID Naughty Step.
We're back in lock-down.

The pubs etc are all closed.
But there is another round of confusion regarding cycling; what are the Regulations, and what is Advice.

I live within 500 metres of the city limits, and went out on a short ride across the boundary.
Did not interact with anyone.
Was expecting a bit of stick, but none has been forthcoming.
On the radio they said travel for business purposes or exercise could exceed the limit, but otherwise stay within 5 miles of home.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23801 on: 09 August, 2020, 12:15:34 pm »
Guidance is here, it's different to before.
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-local-measures/#page-top

The primary difference is that the Aberdeen guidance says travel restricted to 5 miles.
Before when it was Scotland wide you were effectively restricted to 5 miles for getting to exercise location by driving, trains and buses were for essential travel only and cycling was exercise.

But then what's trying to be done now is rather than limit spread around Scotland were trying to contain the feechs to Aberdeen and let the rest of the country carry on, though based on yesterday's numbers and the location list it's probably in the shire.

Given the aim I don't see why there isn't just a blanket "dinnae Cross the xity/shire March"

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23802 on: 09 August, 2020, 06:55:44 pm »
lovely morning ride (136k) to box hill, it was quite busy there at 9:30am, well at least too busy for the uninterrupted max effort up it. back home just when it was getting too hot.

« Reply #23803 on: 09 August, 2020, 07:57:48 pm »
I did 40 mostly off road km on the tracks between Woodingdean and Telscombe. My GPS said 38C and the white tracks had me fantasising of Italy, but I used to live that way, and was pleased to see pears on a tree that I planted maybe 15 years ago; and nearly at the end met an old work friend from when I was at the university. So I finished the ride very sweaty, dusty but feeling good.
https://twitter.com/between_beyond/status/1292519801743724546?s=21

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23804 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:01:25 pm »
I went out twice today. The first time, I left home at 7.50am and it felt wonderfully cool after yesterday's sweltering heat. Then I felt something most unexpected - something cold and wet hitting my forearm. The sun was shining brightly and I couldn't see anything resembling a cloud, so my first reaction was that I had been shat upon by a bird. But then more raindrops fell - big, fat ones. As I looked more carefully through the early morning haze, I could make out some clouds, but not the sort I would have expected to deliver some rain. Over the next 3 minutes I got pretty wet, but then normal service was resumed and I was dry again within another 5 minutes. When I got home, 70 minutes and almost 10 miles later, I checked the rain gauge. There was a little moisture at the bottom, but nothing I could measure.

There were quite a few cyclists about and I exchanged "Good mornings" with quite a few of them.

The second ride was to pal Penelope's house, where I drank 0% Stella and Penny drank cold tea. We had a Damned Good Natter for 3 hours or so, until it became too hot to sit in her west-facing garden so we retired indoors for a while.

Total for the day: just over 14 miles.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #23805 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:12:02 pm »
Out today to a picnic but more importantly both my girls came with me. Offered to take eldest 9 as she got a new bike for birthday and youngest 6 1/2 was desperate to come and agreed to ride her sisters old bike which fits her but she had been reluctant to move onto from her bike she had outgrown

About 4km each way. 3km of it is really lovely on cycle paths or quiet roads. Unfortunately about 1km of it was on paths next to a 30mph road for which average speed is probably 40mph plus and desperately needs an cycle path to the village. Both girls then wanted to cycle home depite a team car being available and the temperature and having played for about 3 hours. Ice creams were bought on way home but without the heat they would have both done the ride no problem

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23806 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:36:17 pm »
Up the bastard hill near Ilmington to fill in a hole in my VeloViewer cluster.  It was a bit warm.  Mild COR.  130km.

« Reply #23807 on: 09 August, 2020, 09:51:49 pm »
Another 100k ride today. Grabbing more squares.

Hot hot hot. I was definitely dehydrated when I got in. About half an hour after getting in at 5pm it was still "feels like" 33C! And I set off at 11am and rode through from then so it was certainly much hotter around midday/1pm. Mad dogs and Englishmen eh?

Lovely day out though, finished strong albeit slowing a bit towards the end. I didn't have the proper struggling for the last bit which sometimes occurs. I did eat later than planned but obviously not too late.

Riding past the end of my road at 90k I was very tempted to call that plenty but I looped the block a couple times to push me over 100.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23808 on: 10 August, 2020, 11:09:25 am »
Out at 18°, home 8° and 2h later with choc chip cookies and a dire thirst for coffee, duly quenched. The trouble with getting out before 7am is that in every village you go through you pass at least one house where the aroma of coffee has invaded the street like an aerosol cloud of SARS-CoV-2.  'Tis torture, so it is.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23809 on: 10 August, 2020, 06:30:12 pm »
First proper ride since 12 June not long after which I bust a rib or two. They said 6-8 weeks recovery.

Just did 36km with 172m climbing and managed 22km/avg. Definitely got breathing fatigue near the end but enjoyed most of it, including being raced by a kid on an electric fat bike for 300m. I let him win of course.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #23810 on: 10 August, 2020, 06:36:15 pm »
Yes, it was effing hot

« Reply #23811 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:06:00 pm »
Yes, it was effing hot

Just 25c here. 'otter termorrer but I only got a trip into town to do. Not even 10km.

« Reply #23812 on: 11 August, 2020, 04:09:11 pm »
Enjoyed my trip into town.  There were three jay-walker incidents one of which proved I have reactions faster than top gun and brakes like the hand of god.  (I guess I half expected them to dart in front of me.)  I left rubber on the road and the jaywalker was profusely apologetic.  The others were harmless touristy stuff.  Why must they step back to take pics?   

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #23813 on: 11 August, 2020, 06:06:37 pm »
Have been out every day, since Friday, in the heat, am acclimatising.  Saturday was an epic as I explored the possibility of taking my race bike on the white roads of the South Downs from Burpham to Springhead Hill, 4km of uphill mixed packed chalk and gravel, followed by a  100km westward trek along the foot of the Downs and then across to Winchester before a sweltering trip back home via Sutton Scotney.

The last two days have been 60km - 70km rides in the heat of the day, almost draining the 2 litres of liquid I carry, but I do find it easier to ride with souplesse in the heat, with the muscles constantly warm.  No doubt I will be perfectly accustomed to 30C heat ready for teh 13C horizontal rain of August bank holiday.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #23814 on: 11 August, 2020, 06:09:20 pm »
Managed 24km after work, too hot for any more.

Made it up the hill from Low to High Bradfield so felt I deserved a pint in the pub at the top, lovely view from the beer garden.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23815 on: 11 August, 2020, 06:12:25 pm »
teh 13C horizontal rain of August bank holiday.

*checks notes*

Double-bill of HPV racing at Darley Moor?  I think you're right...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23816 on: 12 August, 2020, 07:24:01 pm »
About 32 miles round trip to meet up with the club run at the lunch venue ... first time it's been at a pub since club riding was permitted by BC/CTC.

Just a bit hot . . .

« Reply #23817 on: 12 August, 2020, 07:30:15 pm »
Yes audax type distance and I am well and truly baked. Drank 11 litres and still waiting for first proper pee!

« Reply #23818 on: 15 August, 2020, 11:00:07 pm »
A very modest 37km pootle.    I got a train to Wigan North Western, then picked up the Leeds - Liverpool canal towpath at Wigan Pier.   The canal goes through some post industrial bits to pleasant, flat countryside.  Surfaces changed from tarmac, to gravel, to mud, to grass, with occasional cobbles around locks.   It's a well used canal & at one stage I met an organised group of 50+ people on bikes coming in the opposite direction , at the narrowest part of the path.  There was 1 clash of handlebars.....   lots of fishermen with huge CF rods, but everyone was co-operative.   By the time I hit the outer suburbs at Lydiate my hands were a bit numb, despite being on a front sus MTB, so I opted to get the train into Liverpool from Maghull (the rest of the route is only of interest to industrial historians).

I got home & necked a 500g tub of chocolate ice cream , so the day has probably had zero waistline impact!

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #23819 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:01:45 pm »
83km out to the Pevensey Levels and back. The way out in a tilebagging zigzag to the north of Hailsham. On the levels a little offroad diversion with camera and lunch, where the sky went from featureless cloud to big black cloud. It was at this point I realised I’d forgotten my waterproof (I’m sure it lives in my seat pack). So the way back was a bit more brisk, with a couple of foot soakings in puddles too big to coast over.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23820 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:28:34 pm »
Went out for a shorter ride while it was dry.  Failed spectacularly, with flash flooding, sewage, raindrops so big they hurt, etc.

My right pedal is now making a noise like a family of hamsters with a car alarm.  How easy is it to service ATACs?  (This is a 5 week old set of pedals that I've been trying to see if they're an improvement on SPD, so if it's non-trivial they're going back.  £50 Pedals shouldn't squeak after a month of use.)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23821 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:47:43 pm »
Tour alternative started off with the planned journey to Stirling to use the non refundable Hotel room... Except by bike instead of train as Hilton junction in Perth is still under water.

Set off an hour later than hoped at 1740ish resulting in a decent shove along the south tay coast road (lumpy) followed by crossing the Ochils for the climb to the yetts o muckhart, investigated a handful of alternatives to the main road and got into the hotel just after 10.

Forgot trying to ride a half loaded touring bike at normal speeds is hard work so woke up a bit sore.
Rather than head down the flatishness of the Forth and Clyde canal to Glasgow and under the Clyde in the cycle tunnel I rode north to bridge of Allan for a lorn and tattie scone breakfast roll from Baynes then took the Glenroad followed by the town route through Dunblane to get to Doune and o to Callander for a first lunch from the only express remaining at Dreadnought jct.

The NCN7 starts off reasonable into the pass of le my before I started dodging the familes weij at some forest cabin place, from there I though I was riding Relentles24 again as I shoved the bike along a track that made LazyK and zig and zag seem distant easy memories, eventually the grading improved and even turned to tar for a bit at Strathyre, given the road was a shambles this was the less evil Option.

The switch from the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie railway to the Callander and oban line is a harsh climb but better surfaced, the MTBers were enjoying it though, finally up on the line through glen ogle I got to enjoy the ride up and I to Killin on well graded gravel tracks.

Killin felt odd, usually when it's busy there's lots of traffic but the road was quiet, the queues for the shops and cafès on the other hand were not. Decided I wouldn't risk a splurge of traffic at 6 and retraced across the falls of Dochart to take the south loch tay road, a route of evil undulations after evil undulation, it was busy with roadside campers...

Kenmore and some nutters were swimming in the tay as if they were on the med with not the warmth of a wet suit in sight and a chill in the air.
Final flat push to coshieville and the last big dig of the day up to the Schiehallion road junction, stopped a few times, noted that amazingly the caravan park shop at the deer park is finished and open with juice for sale but didn't stop for any.

Plunge to Tummel Bridge as fun as ever even with deliberately heavy loaded rear bags (I could have got more stuff carted up), questionable rear brakes and cables that I should probably change. And a nice quiet spin up to the caravan at allean.

Had a walk in the forest today but no towls bagged so need to get up to the higher roads.

Hoping to check out Glen fincastle tomorrow which will hopefully get me the other side of Meal na h-Iolaire and Into new Tìle territory.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23822 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:57:41 pm »
ATAC pedal internals have varied a bit over the years (need the correct bearings/ bushes for the model) but the procedure hasn’t changed much. Don’t over-tighten the nut when reassembling.

Is the noise coming from the bearings or external contact between cleat/ shoe/ pedal?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #23823 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:01:52 pm »
Short outing in morning before storms arrived

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23824 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:02:46 pm »
Twice! Cafe run this morning of about 35 miles on the tourer in awful humidity, got home in a sweat bath.  Just been out for 10 miles on the Merckx to shake it down and it was all fine.  Pretty stiff front end and better uphill than the Cooper was.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.