Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 300952 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
To reclaim a bit of room in my workshop, I finally moved out a tangential tone-arm record deck that's been sitting in the same place for 30 years and discovered under it, in a Barnes & Noble box, God wot, a complete 8" floppy-disk drive with a few appurtenant doo-hickeys - mounting brackets etc.

If the USAF nuclear deterrent network hadn't recently upgraded I could have had a market.

The lot is now in the barn and the roof leaks. To hell with it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Fettled my MX records back into life, my hosting provider had changed nameservers (and, for some obscure reason, retired the old ones instead of combining the names/IP which should be easy on a VM) resulting in No Spam!!1! and, of course, zero domain availability.

A poke around and everything burst back into life (for propagation values of "burst"). Useful to find  that you can flush Google's DNS cache (through a google search, obv)

I'm torn between annoyance with my hosting that it appeared the notification failed to go to me, or just being happy that they still have manned, intelligent tech support from 07:00-00:00 that only takes a couple of minutes to get through to talk to.

Mrs Ham wanted to investigate Tesco online, possibly to purchase. I have an account, used infrequently, mostly to deliver to my MiL in Coventry, definitely used over the last - 5? - years.

Anyhow when the login and password reset failed I got on the blower. Answered surprisingly quickly by a pleasant scots lady, I provided my email address. "No, that's not the one on the account" OK, how about an underlying one I don't often use. "No not that one. It's nnnn@xxxx.co.uk" An email address from a domain I put to sleep 20 years ago and likely the one I used when I opened the account. Curious. Anyhow, easily fixed

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Fitbit have sold out to Google and are now saying that it may take up to 90 days to delete all account data.

• First 7 days: If you change your mind after you confirm your request to have your account deleted, you have seven days to recover it – log in to your account to restore acceess to your Fitbit data.
  • After 7 days: Your account is frozen and can't be recovered.
  • Within 30-90 days: Most of your personal account info is deleted within 30 days of you confirming your deletion request. This includes any subscriptions you have, for example Fitbit Coach. It may take up to 90 days to delete all of your personal info, like the data recorded by your Fitbit device and other data stored in our back-up systems. This is due to the size and complexity of the systems we use to store data.

Naturally, this leaves lots of time for Google to finalize the sale and mine out anything they fancy.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I hope that five minute dropout on my Internets this morning was Nice Person Nic, the Helpful Support Type, tinkering with settings and not a further manifestation of the woes afflicting my pitiful pipe.  Otherwise I may yet be driven to seek professional counselling on the matter of fibre broadbean.  Even Sky is not off-limits since Murdoch, spawn of The Pit that he be, sold up.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I've had an SSD fail. It was the root filesystem of the running system and it just "disappeared". I had running terminal shells that still worked, but only programs already in memory could be run, anything that needed filesystem access failed. After a power cycle the disk is not even detected by the BIOS.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Having suffered the occasional spinning rust failure, and with more than a little Raspberry Pi experience, I've always been impressed by Linux's ability to keep going when the root filesystem stops responding.  Windows would of course BSOD first and ask questions later.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
erm any of you lot deal with Webex?

I can't for the life of me to get it to work. All other VOIP I have used just work - hangout, Skype, Skype for Business, M$ Teams, Join.me, zoom etc. With webex I can connect and hear other speakers but they don't hear me. In webex settings I can see when I speak/hit the mic that it picks up my voice on the volume bar/graph thing. Same goes with the browser app. Restart, clear cache, reinstall etc been done. Win10 all updated and same with Chrome.

Yes I can dial into the call with Skype and join that way, but that is just a faff to have two programs for one thing.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I don't know anything about Webex, but one-way audio on VOIP is usually a NAT/firewall thing:  Protocols that use a separate stream for the audio/video (eg. SIP/RTP) get blocked (or not routed appropriately) in one direction, while everything else ostensibly works.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
I haven't poked at win10 firewall, left at default. I did find that windows in their privacy settings you can block apps/programs from using the mic and other things but in there webex got full control to play.

ian

It should just pick up your microphone like normal. I don't know about non-Macs, but a Mac asks the first time if it can access your microphone and/or webcam. If you miss the message, it can't, and if you click the 'no', then the mic and cam remain out of the bounds (if you want to undo the decision, it's in the privacy settings). I assume other OS do something similar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It doesn't sound like a microphone problem if the app's responding to the microphone with a bargraph.  If it didn't have permission to access the hardware, it should throw an error.  If it was accessing the wrong audio input, the graph would remain flat.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Yes I have poked at that and why I reinstalled it to make sure I haven't missed that option and it is using the same hardware as all the others that don't have an issue. I just have to get used to the fact that I dial in with Skype and open the web link to the meetings on webex so I can see the chat and if there is a screen to share. Lucky I don't use it often, only the 4th time in two years and go figure the very first time last year it worked just fine. There have been an update on the webex app for sure doesn't look the same as last year.

ian

In the Macverse, there's a browser version of Webex and a downloaded app. If you're using the browser version, it may require you modify the browser's privacy settings too.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
In the Macverse, there's a browser version of Webex and a downloaded app. If you're using the browser version, it may require you modify the browser's privacy settings too.

I refer the learned gentleman to my post above ;)

Same goes with the browser app.

There were four people present in the office today.
Two of whom have PCs running Windows 7, the other two (myself being one of them) have been upgraded to Windows 10.
And Office 365.
Now, it is that last sentence, that I would like to draw your attention to.
In particular, the 365 part of it.
What do you think that 365 refers to?
Memory? Screen size? Processor speed? The number of days per annum one can expect it to not deliver that which it promises?
As it currently stands, if I send an email to an email group of which all four of today's attendees are members,
 those running Windows 7 will receive that email pretty much instantly.
Those running Windows 10 will receive it 6 or 7 minutes later.
In what way is this an upgrade?
All evidence points to it being a downgrade.
I suppose us tenners should be grateful for having received the email at all.
IT have been advised accordingly.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
The transcendental functions on my Commodore SR-4912 have stopped working.  I am rather, and quite irrationally, sad about this.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
The shuffle button, on Spotify for Android, has returned!!!!

This fills me with joy!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

A few changes happening in our office so the mini-skips have arrived so people can clear out some of the lockers that will be lost to the new "collaboration centre", but most using it as an excuse to purge some of the crap they've been collecting over the years.

Amongst the stuff I found in my locker and pedestal and am getting rid of:-

Endless manuals (InstallShield training from 16 years ago anyone?)
Windows Server 2003 install media
NT 4.5.1 install media
Cables, all of the cables
A SparcClassic with a whopping 16MB RAM and 424MB HDD
Pads and pads of notes that all went to the shredding bin

(I lied, I kept the SparcClassic, I might use it as a monitor stand although the HDD still has company confidential stuff on it and with SunOS 4.1.4U5 it certainly won't be encrypted)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
An update for my ancient Kindle  ??? I didn't expect that  :o

ian

Is it as ancient as my geriatric paperwhite? Don't think I've seen an update on it yet.

BT just called. There's suspicious activity on my IP address and if I don't click 1 now to speak to an operative they will be cutting me off.

Oh noes!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Following an outage caused by building contractors simply switching off the whole house power, I thought all the servers had come back up OK.

Oh, no.

The Asterisk box has been slowly grinding itself into the ground. It accepted a SSH login, but I/O errors on most filesystem things.
Fsck would not actually run! It couldn't read the executable.

The box will need a re-install.
Unfortunately, it also hosts other things.
But they are mirrored on my other Linux box, the Roundcube webmail server.
Just needs a DNS tweek to point to the backup server.

Hmm, not working.
When the Webmail box cratered a few months back, I re-installed only the necessary bits to get the webmail working. I ignored the other backup stuff.
Come back to bite me!

So cue a session of:
yum install ftp
ftp my-site
>binary
>get all-the-stuff
>exit
fettle fettle.

All services now running!

The Asterisk box will need to wait.
The phones are not working.

I found a double-sided colour laser printer in the street a few months back. Works perfectly.

Until recently when it started not fusing the toner properly. The roller doesn’t even feel hot. Discovered this at the post office after printing some address labels. I hope they all arrive...

I have a fancy microwave with a mini oven heating element. A couple of minutes in there for everything I print from now on...

Anyone interested in a Pixel 4 review? OK

I've had it over a month now, and I've seen some mixed reviews, so here's mine.

Yeah, it's good.

OK, it's good but there's a learning curve - one of the reasons I'm posting this.

Getting used to it (from a Pixel 2) was a surprisingly bumpy process. One thing which is in my book a retrograde step is the removal of the fingerprint sensor and move to face ID, which is not supported by many apps. Turns out to be not quite as much hassle as I thought it was going to be, but the default behaviour of face unlock to the main screen is crazy. Far better is the easily selectable "unlock to lock screen" where you can choose what to do - read alerts, go to apps etc. Otherwise, you are forever unlocking and activating stuff you don't want.

Another big change which you don't have to go with is the move to gesture control from the trad buttons at the bottom. I have done, and it was worth it. Again a learning curve where you don't see the point in the first instance but actually, once over that hurdle the gesture controls work much better - for example the back swipe is anywhere on either side edge. The only slightly retrograde item with gestures is invoking the android split screen but, how many times do you ever use that? I know I do occasionally but I don't suppose many know it even exists and all other phone users get by without it, including those fruity boys. (for those who don't know what I am talking about, Google phones have long been able to have two apps on screen at  once)

One of the main gripes you read about is the battery. There are a lot of reviews saying Arrgh! battery is only 2800mAh! Too small! Doesn't perform well in battery drain tests! Well, I dunno, for me it isn't a problem. I use my phone throughout the day, and the battery lasts better than my old Pixel 2, 24 hours of light usage is around 20% used, my normal day which includes browsing, whatsapp, playing stuff on the speakers (which are surprisingly good) is 60-70%. Life may be different if you have a lot of apps doing background push, and I keep my brightness down below 75% (which is where the 90hz oh-so-slinky refresh cuts in) and the fast charge pushes about 50% of charge in 30 minutes. I put my phone on charge in the morning rather than leave it all night - came off charge at around 8 this morning and is currently sitting on 84% at 22:00. I've had a couple of calls on it, looked at it occasionally but not done much on it. Basically, this phone has serious smarts around battery usage.

The camera holds its own against anything out there, and the night sky mode is downright creepy - you wibble about while the phone takes a multi second exposure and the image turns out rock steady. The motion sense feature seemed like a total gimmick, but actually muting as you pick your phone up to answer or switch off an alarm is quite cute. There's a bunch of other stuff that I really would benefit finding out about, if anything that's one of the major issues, there is no real "howto", maybe because there is some much difference between people's preferences and the Pixel is so configurable.

Finally, it needs to be remembered that the flagship phones which the Pixel is compared to (rightly so) cost at least 50% more. For me, that's Google getting back to the old Nexus philosophy. Would it be worth upgrading from a 2 if you don't have to? Probably not, but you wouldn't regret it. As I've never had a 3, I can't comment on that, but I suspect it is similar.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
I've just installed Windows XP!

At work, we have a module in our software product which uses Neural Networks.
Back in 2006, we bought a 3rd party solution called NeuroSolutions.
This is a tool which is used to build DLLs containing the Neural Networks, which are then used in our product.

We needed to make some changes to the Neural Network DLLs, so I had to go to the archives and dig up the old NeuroSolutions installer.
It just won't run on Win10 x64, it's too old!

So I spun up a VirtualBox VM and stuck XP on it.
Everything Just Worked!

The VM is squirreled away for next time it's needed!