Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 287607 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Don't forget that The Lore Of The Land, with Dr Larrington, starts at 13:45 today on Radio 4.  Same time all week.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Free Piney Gir gig!

You do have to go to Eaglesciffe, mind, but it's right next to the station, and you can get a direct train from Sunderland, King's Cross, Darlington and Bishop Auckland (amongst others). Lovely restaurant, too.

I can't go, otherwise I would!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
The Man Booker shortlist is out!

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/news/man-booker-prize-fiction-2015-shortlist-revealed

Luckily I have only 2, from that list, left to read.  The two are "A History of Seven Killings" and "The Fishermen".
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
If Daniel Glaser is still on the judging panel he'll baulk at any bad science...

If you like jazz and haven't heard Joey Alexander yet (aged 12), you should http://joeyalexandermusic.com/video/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've just worked it out:  Sharknado 3 is totally a prequel to The Martian.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Found an amusing somewhat offbeat comic strip, Itchy Feet, based around travel and the intermingling of international characteristics

http://www.itchyfeetcomic.com/

tiermat

They have just played "Jesus Built My Hotrod" on 6Music!

Talk about a great start to the day, it can only go downhill from here :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I had completely forgotten about next week's Half Man Half Biscuit gig until a couple of hours ago :o

They have just played "Jesus Built My Hotrod" on 6Music!

Talk about a great start to the day, it can only go downhill from here :)

The second greatest spoken intro... ever, after Zodiac Mindwarp's "Prime Mover".  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
One of the students from Queen Mary College on University Challenge last night introduced herself as "studying for an MD in sphincter preservation"

Apparently, this led to much traffic on twitter.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Surely that's an MBA?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Looks like somebody jumped a shark, says Gil Grissom, waving a pair of shark fins.

Yes, Gil.  Yes, you did.  About ten years ago.

Now there is "CSI: Cyber-Bollocks", which is like "CSI" but, implausibly, even more, er, implausible.

I watched it so the rest of you don't have to.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I am given to understand that forthcoming BBC dramatic histor-o-nonse "The Last Kingdom" is to do with wresting control of the BRITONS' England from the fell hand of the Viking Invaders.  Why, then, do they play over the trailer Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" ???

The Chris T-T gig at Cotherstone Village Hall in December has been cancelled :(

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34503866

So...the writers of 'Miranda' apparently thought of the idea themselves. And weren't influenced by the decade or more such spoofs have been on the tinternetweb.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The BBC (You & Yours, I think) were discussing plans to build an extra rail link between Lewes and Brighton. Various bits of correspondence were read out, mostly in a northern accent.

Is the nasal twang which dominates Sussex not a suitable sound for bolshy rail travellers having a moan?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Perhaps the BBC does not have an unlimited supply of regionally-accented reader-outers and thus cannot fish out of the cupboard one with a suitable accent for the topic under discussion.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
I would guess their list of jobbing voice actors is mainly based in Greater Manchester, sou are unlikely to speak with a southern accent.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

Just bought the first Xmas pressie.

Why in this thread? Well TLD wanted a piece of art, we wanted to buy her a piece as an investment and Kerry Darlington's works have shown to appreciate quite nicely*

So we bought her this:

http://www.enidhuttgallery.com/wendy-kerry-darlington-unique-limited-edition-resin.ir?src=froogle&gclid=CjwKEAjwzJexBRCa_pGo8IK0ilASJABfGldbFn_zhe61_wwmR2uGxthA8mjCPG1cKSJ6WNXkQp8GpBoCgkTw_wcB

*We already have one piece, in the lounge, that was bought for ~£800 ~5 years ago and now sells for ~£1300, not a bad return!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Just bought the first Xmas pressie.

Why in this thread? Well TLD wanted a piece of art, we wanted to buy her a piece as an investment and Kerry Darlington's works have shown to appreciate quite nicely*

So we bought her this:

http://www.enidhuttgallery.com/wendy-kerry-darlington-unique-limited-edition-resin.ir?src=froogle&gclid=CjwKEAjwzJexBRCa_pGo8IK0ilASJABfGldbFn_zhe61_wwmR2uGxthA8mjCPG1cKSJ6WNXkQp8GpBoCgkTw_wcB

*We already have one piece, in the lounge, that was bought for ~£800 ~5 years ago and now sells for ~£1300, not a bad return!

That looks perfect for her, I bet she'll love it  :D

It looks just like her!
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

Catching up with stuff what we have recorded, we started watching "This Is England '90" last night.

Whilst watching both myself and Mrs T had the same thought, idenpendantly of one another.  That thought was "Woody must be based on James*".  Beard, check, ranty attitude, check.  Even the rants were in a form so familiar to me, from hearing James rant!

*Tiermat's younger brother

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I been catching up on recorded Stuffs too, with "Witch Hunt".  I think I'm in love with Suzannah Lipscomb.