Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286510 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Caught this on 6music tonight - absolutely fantastic vintage radio documentary (from 1985!) about the Stones' early career, focusing on their live performances for the BBC, interspersed with some lovely interviews:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kky3g

They really were a great blues band back in those days.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Am I the only person who sings "BANANA!" directly after the "Meet you all the way" line (i.e. not in place of the "Rosa-a-a-anna") in Toto's Rosanna;D
Once you've heard it, you really can't unhear it.  You're quite welcome.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
That should have come with a spoiler warning.

Ear worm.#

BASTARD!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Caught this on 6music tonight - absolutely fantastic vintage radio documentary (from 1985!) about the Stones' early career, focusing on their live performances for the BBC, interspersed with some lovely interviews:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kky3g

They really were a great blues band back in those days.
I learned the other day that they did a jingle for a Rice Krispies ad in the early 60s.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
That should have come with a spoiler warning.

Ear worm.#

BASTARD!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

As should Hello, Goodbye on R2 SOTS on Saturday. 

Brain, please stop
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
On Radio Three this morning, "London Transport Suite" by Sidney Torch (great name!) full of themes evoking/mimicking steam locomotives.  Made me wonder; how the blazes would you represent a diesel, or electric, loco in a musical piece without recourse to recordings of the real thing?

Carrying on with the thought I also wondered about jet propelled aeroplanes.  A multi-engine propeller aircraft, even a turbine engined one, has a beat frequency that could be used though even that's not so marked in modern aeroplanes as older ones, but a jet?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TheLurker

I hadn't, but it illustrates the point about steam locos and musical representation thereof very nicely.  Thank you. 

Lurker, you gotta love The Boxcar (particularly 4:25 in).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wish they wouldn't stick black tape over manufacturer's names on SLRs in films. Obvious why they do it, but it looks phoney and spoils the illusion.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

Lurker - here's my favourite musical representation of trains:
https://youtu.be/1E4Bjt_zVJc

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Wish they wouldn't stick black tape over manufacturer's names on SLRs in films. Obvious why they do it, but it looks phoney and spoils the illusion.

Nobody has ever discussed football in the Rovers Return.  A bit odd.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

TheLurker

Legs, Citoyen - Ta.

Whenever I hear the Charlie Daniels Band's The Devil Went Down To Georgia, I can't help but think that I prefer the Devil's music to Johnny's, and that the Devil is a bit soft in conceding defeat so willingly.

On Radio Three this morning, "London Transport Suite" by Sidney Torch (great name!) full of themes evoking/mimicking steam locomotives.  Made me wonder; how the blazes would you represent a diesel, or electric, loco in a musical piece without recourse to recordings of the real thing?

Like this:

https://youtu.be/DWSceMtAjPw

Surprised you haven't heard this.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TheLurker

Like this:

https://youtu.be/DWSceMtAjPw

Surprised you haven't heard this.
In 1977 I was listening to rather less *ahem* sophisticated musicians.   Interesting, but without the video there's nothing about the track that says, to me, locomotive. Electric, diesel or otherwise. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's not really about the locomotive or even the train, it's about the experience of high-speed travel. I think.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Her Majesty's BBC radio iplayer thing has a repeat of the marvelous Ian McMillan's programme about when his 'ouse becomes his arse.  Isogloss innit.

This has been a public service announcement.

Linky

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

TheLurker

BBC4 9pm Wednesday next (15th of March).  A documentary about Raleigh.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Having been a member of YACF since its inception, I am rather surprised to have been unaware of this rather delicious little website.

Uke Hunt  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
How delightful. :D indeed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
 ;D. Is that real?   :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
#2 son spied his first episode of The Prisoner tonight. 10 years old (going on 45), normally can't keep still for more than 30 seconds, sat transfixed throughout.

Was fascinated to discover 'The Village' is real.

Ladles and Jellyspoons , I think we have a convert...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I was about the same age, and well past my bedtime, when the very same appeared on the anbaric distascope, and my dad said "No wait, watch this - it's a bit odd."

It was.   :thumbsup:

citoyen

I first discovered The Prisoner when it was shown on the recently launched Channel 4 in 1983, which means I would have been the same age. It remains one of my all-time favourites.

I've made several pilgrimages to Portmeirion over the years. When I was a student in Leeds in the early 90s, my housemates and I hired a video camera and made a road movie of a weekend trip to Portmeirion, which includes a shot of me running along the beach with one of my mates kicking a beach ball along behind me. Wish I still had a copy of that.