Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286580 times)

The Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation has banned the showing of Armando Iannucci’s The Death of Stalin, referencing the film's "extremism" and it's denigrating and insulting portrayal of Glorious Heroes of Russian Worker's Paradise who, in addition to completing Five Year Plan ahead of schedule, defeated Fascists (with whom we never, ever, signed a treaty - and if you say otherwise you're a NAZI) without any help from Decadent West.

Ref: Ministry announcement (рос); Grauniad article (eng)

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I just explained Craig David to barakta.  She probably wishes I hadn't.

I'm not sure I've seen reference to Brian Bilston the poet here or in POBI.

Having found Refugees, I've been clicking and reading around his website, including The Clarkson Verses

I like him.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Our local Council is proud that a successful band was founded within the Borough Boundaries.

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I learned everything I need to know about Boney M from Touching The Void

Britney Spears is gigging at Scarborough later this year apparently.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I'm not sure I've seen reference to Brian Bilston the poet here or in POBI.

Having found Refugees, I've been clicking and reading around his website, including The Clarkson Verses

I like him.

:thumbsup: I've seen Refugees before but not the rest. Ta!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I read of the death of Howard Lew Lewis the other day - most famous as Elmo in 80s sitcom Brush Strokes (he was easily the best thing about that series) and Rabies in Maid Marian. Perhaps not up there as a cultural icon with the likes of Mark E Smith, hence no thread of his own, but reading more about his final days saddened me - it was not a happy ending for him...

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2018/01/22/38940/brush_strokess_barman_dies

(ETA: the sadness is that his mental state led to him being so unhappy in his final days, not a reflection on Edinburgh care services - the piece doesn't give their side of the story, so it wouldn't be fair to judge)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Britney Spears is gigging at Scarborough later this year apparently.

I thought the Butlins had closed down.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I have just discovered that the juke box in my pub has a classical section.  Prolly stuff that's been used in adverts and films, I would imagine.  How would I know?
Anyway, I've just played Mozart's K138. Very loud.
Pool team not happy.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
That's pretty early Mozza. Am currently playing a string quartet version of it. Good choice, Basil! The pool team can sod off!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Last evening saw me hosting the pub quiz as the usual suspects were unavailable.

I got to one question"Which 20th century English Prime Minster was nicknamed Sunny Jim?" and was seized by a mad desire to parody a Monty Python panel game sketch...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I can only think of one UK PM called Jim.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jim Hacker?  ;)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
For clarity the question I wanted to ask is here about 0:48 on but I didn't. No one would've got it...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Prosiect Z. Zombie-fighting children's game show. In Welsh.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Earlier today I received an email from Amazon,  recommending a book called "Punishment" A Detective Barnes story.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072K458SR/ref=pe_2043221_241706471_em_1p_6_ti

Is AuntyC branching out into new fields ?  :jurek:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
This cropped up on a piano teachers' forum, of which I am a member.   ;D

It's Liszt in the picture.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.

Could you explain him to me because I still don't understand.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

He was a ukc.misc in-joke that rose to fame on the back of Artful Dodger's masterpiece Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta), which you really haven't experienced until you've heard it sung[1] by 12 year olds on the slow train from CHX to CBW.  Wikipedia informs me this composition was nearly destroyed by a random act of WindowsME (or whatever shitty operating system the cool kids of the UK garage scene were using at the time) but they were able to re-construct it from a TDK D90 cassette[2], on which they'd made a copy to listen to in the car[3].

After a tediously successful musical career, he finally got his own Channel 4 comedy series in 2002, and would have faded into obscurity with that, concentrating on his Basingstoke-based vending machine business, if the aptly named Insanity Records hadn't resurrected him in 2017.

*This post may contain lies, or traces of lies.

[1] This was the golden age between the invention of the Walkman and the rise of sodcasting, when portable music playing equipment could be relied upon to require headphones.
[2] Teenagers: Ask your parents.
[3] Just think, if they'd left it long enough, it would have turned into Queen's Greatest Hits and the world would be a very different place.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.

He was a ukc.misc in-joke that rose to fame on the back of Artful Dodger's masterpiece Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta), which you really haven't experienced until you've heard it sung[1] by 12 year olds on the slow train from CHX to CBW.  Wikipedia informs me this composition was nearly destroyed by a random act of WindowsME (or whatever shitty operating system the cool kids of the UK garage scene were using at the time) but they were able to re-construct it from a TDK D90 cassette[2], on which they'd made a copy to listen to in the car[3].

After a tediously successful musical career, he finally got his own Channel 4 comedy series in 2002, and would have faded into obscurity with that, concentrating on his Basingstoke-based vending machine business, if the aptly named Insanity Records hadn't resurrected him in 2017.

*This post may contain lies, or traces of lies.

[1] This was the golden age between the invention of the Walkman and the rise of sodcasting, when portable music playing equipment could be relied upon to require headphones.
[2] Teenagers: Ask your parents.
[3] Just think, if they'd left it long enough, it would have turned into Queen's Greatest Hits and the world would be a very different place.

Brilliant, thanks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Over there ^^^^ is an unopened 5-pack of TDK C-90s.  I am awaiting an offer from the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
the slow train from CHX to CBW

Is there any other kind of train from CHX to CBW?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Over there ^^^^ is an unopened 5-pack of TDK C-90s.  I am awaiting an offer from the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame

Ah, happy days extracting a C120 from the Perpetually Hungry Amstrad and respooling it with a bic pen.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
the slow train from CHX to CBW

Is there any other kind of train from CHX to CBW?

The even slower freeze-your-arse-off-changing-at-Ashford train.