Author Topic: Girls  (Read 920 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Girls
« on: 28 January, 2014, 08:31:08 am »
Anyone here a fan of Girls? I'm a bit late to the party - the third series started last week but I'm catching up from the beginning via On Demand. Just the six episodes last night. It is really chuffing brilliant. I am totally bowled over. Why did no one tell me how good it was?

It's proper grown-up comedy - exec produced by Judd Apatow, and very much in the same style as his own stuff (definitely not suitable for children!), but much sharper writing, much less puerile boy shit. Just a bunch of 20-something women telling it like it is (which is kind of uncomfortable viewing at times for a boy, but hilarious all the same).

Lena Dunham (writer, director and star) is an incredible talent - staggering to think she was just 24 when she got commissioned to make it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Girls
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:05:09 pm »
I absolutely bloody love it. I have the first two series on DVD. Warning: series 2 gets quite dark and uncomfortable at times.

I managed to watch the first two episodes of series 3 online (they released them online to attract a younger audience), and am now not very patiently waiting for the 3rd DVD (I don't have the required channel).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:14:39 pm »

I absolutely bloody love it.

:thumbsup:

Warning: series 2 gets quite dark and uncomfortable at times.

Crikey. The first series is uncomfortable enough for me at times...

I'm recording series three and will probably catch up quite soon at the rate I'm getting through it, so I'll let you know!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:21:35 pm »
I think you'll know the scenes I mean when you see them...

You'll likely overtake me, the DVD wasn't even on pre-order last time I checked, sob.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2014, 09:30:50 pm »
Quite liked the first series, got bored very quickly with the second and gave up.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.