Author Topic: Inaugural Hampshire 100k ride - 1700m climbing, 18th May, FREE CAKE  (Read 3210 times)

Hi all

https://sites.google.com/site/whitchurchprimarypedal/home

A typical view on the 2014 Whitchurch Primary Pedal - three counties in one shot, near Linkenholt.

The 2014 Whitchurch Primary Pedal is a bike ride of 20, 40 or 60 miles through the North Wessex Downs AONB on very quiet lanes. The 20-mile route isn't that hilly, the 40-mile route is quite hilly and the 60-mile route is as hilly as is possible without building some extra hills on top of the existing hills. The 40- and 60-mile routes pass through Hampshire, Berkshire and Wiltshire, going over the highest point in South-East England - Walbury Hill.

Get social here: https://www.facebook.com/primarypedal or  https://twitter.com/PrimaryPedal

The vast majority of the routes are on single-lane country roads bordered by hedgerows and fields. There's only 1 mile of minor A-road on the 60-mile route, and that's downhill.

All funds raised through entry fees and sponsorship will go to the registered charity FOWPS - Friends Of Whitchurch Primary School.

THE FACTS

Sunday May 18th 2014, 8am - 3pm

Starting from Whitchurch Primary School, McFauld Way, Whitchurch Hampshire RG28 7LS

Three routes:
20 miles with 420m of climbing, suitable for novice cyclists
Halfway stop at the White Hart pub in Stoke for Cake, or you can break or end your ride there with lunch/drinks

40 miles with 1066m of climbing, suitable for more experienced cyclists
Halfway stop at the Vernham Deane Village Hall

60 miles with 1700m of climbing, suitable for experienced cyclists
Halfway stop at the Vernham Deane Village hall

Start times:
60-mile route: 8 - 9am
40-mile route: 9 - 10am
20-mile route: 10 - 11am

All participants are expected to return by 3pm.

WHAT YOU GET FOR YOUR £10
Free parking
Excellent signage at each intersection
A printed routemap or GPS files to use on your phone/bike computer
Very quiet roads
Marshals at regular intervals
FREE CAKE - all you can eat
Water, toilets

THE DETAILS

Parking will be on the school field off McFauld Way, Whitchurch.

You will register at the school and receive your printed A5-size event number as a 'spoke card', which you will insert securely between your spokes. Our friendly assistants will show you how to do this. It's a keepsake of the event, we don't need it back.

Riders will be started in small groups at regular intervals, cycling from the school through the centre of Whitchurch and out into the countryside to the northwest. There will be no timing as this is not a race.

The three routes will be signposted with different-coloured  A4-size arrows, intersections clearly marked 100m before, at and 50m after the turn. Marshals will be located at key intersections to assist and direct, but they cannot direct or stop traffic. The 40- and 60-mile routes involve crossing the A343 twice, the 60-mile route includes cycling along the A343 for a mile. Apart from that, it's single-lane rural access roads. No part of the course will be closed to traffic, road rules must be adhered to by all participants. Along the route will be 5-mile markers.

At the halfway stops Cake and other suitable comestibles like flapjack and the like will be provided free to participants, along with water and toilets. Some mechanical assistance will be present in the event of need, but no promise is made regarding repairs or availability of spares. All participants should plan to be self-sufficient mechanically, carry spare tubes, pump etc.

On the 20-mile route there is the option to stop for lunch from 12 noon - families cycling with smaller children might want to end their ride there after 10 miles. The White Hart does good pub food freshly prepared. If you plan to stop for a cooked lunch a booking is essential to avoid disappointment. Contact them on 01264 738830 to book.

SO HOW HILLY IS HILLY?

From Whitchurch at 80m ASL you'll climb over the 250m contour line five times in all, including the fearsome West Woodhay Down (1 in 4) and Combe Gibbet, listed in the book '100 Greatest Cycling Climbs'. The 40-mile route cuts out the 4th, 5th and 6th climbs.

The 20-mile ride features much shorter hills that anyone on a geared bike should be able to tackle.

I WANT TO KNOW MORE

A detailed FAQ can be found at the website

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

If you'd like to help out instead of ride, please, we'd love to hear from you. You don't need to know anything about bikes, bike rides or Cake. You can help for as long or as short as you like during the day. Please visit the Volunteers page, and we'll find the right role for you.

THE BUSINESS

The entry fee is £10. Children under 16 are free to enter.

The event is now open for pre-entry at https://sites.google.com/site/whitchurchprimarypedal

Places are limited to 250 paying participants*. Pre-entering guarantees you a place upon payment. Payment will be open in March, you will be advised by email when it opens. Payment will be possible by bank transfer, in cash at the school, by cheque in the post or by PayPal with the addition of a small transaction fee. Once you have paid you will be allocated an event number by email.

To pre-enter, please fill in your details. You will receive a confirmation email to confirm your pre-entry.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: New Hampshire 100k ride - 1700m climbing, 18th May, FREE CAKE
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2014, 10:22:50 am »
New Hampshire is an awfully long way to go for a 100k bike ride, even with free cake.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Inaugural Hampshire 100k ride - 1700m climbing, 18th May, FREE CAKE
« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2014, 11:53:05 am »
Hi there KiwiMike,

I would suggest re-siting this to the Charities and Cyclosportive thread.

H

« Reply #3 on: 19 February, 2014, 11:59:23 am »
Done and edited, thanks.

As this is the first time we've done this event, I'd very much welcome any suggestions on improving the plan or the marketing.

Cheers

Mike

« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2014, 07:47:18 pm »
Cyclists love cake but also TEA do make sure it is in plentiful supply at all stops!

« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2014, 05:36:26 pm »
How many dozen (or hundreds) have entered to date??? ;D

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2014, 07:12:42 pm »
How many dozen (or hundreds) have entered to date??? ;D

Just under a hundred so far - the large majority keen for the 60-miler for some reason...strange...I mean, what sort of person *wants* to do an extra 187m worth of 12% climb with 85km already in the legs?

(pre-registrations close 4th April - please spread the word - www.primarypedal.org.uk )

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2014, 03:19:42 pm »
The Faccombe 4 are reuniting for this ride.  Rude not to really, it's on my local roads and is not too far off the Faccombe Haul 100k that started it all.

Should be interesting to see if any "novices" turn up for the 60 mile ride as it's decidedly uphill for long stretches, very uphill at half way but a quick final leg.

That image above shows the Netherton to Faccombe road, not the steepest road in the area but a climb I always find very deceptively tough.

Really looking forward to this.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »
Great to hear it - we have extended registration now up to a few days before unless full.

And the Cake will be exceptional. Home-made, don't you know.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2014, 05:15:04 pm »
Walbury Hill...Most of us will be gasping at this point...but it's well worth the effort.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2014, 01:36:33 pm »
any other folks of this parish doing this ride other than myself Lee and Urban Biker?  It looks like a cracking route; very much akin to the old Faccombe Haul.   The weather looks good for Sunday too  :thumbsup:   I'll be cycling in from Pompey to the start which does mean a slightly early 4:30 am start to get there for registration and 8am start  :facepalm:  ;D .  I hope the organisers have not underestimated how much CAKE I can eat  8)
appearing in a tea room near you

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2014, 09:10:11 am »
Excellent ride, excellent (fully signed and marshalled) route and excellent weather.

I know the lanes well so the relentless lumpiness was no surprise. 

Highly recommended ride for anyone wanting to test themselves against 60 miles of Hampshire lumps.

Chillmoister and Urban_Biker complete the strenuous lump (not Hampshire actually) called Walbury Hill (aka Combe Gibbet)