Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 145609 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1175 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:26:14 am »
Lazy start this morning, so I was jogging in daylight for the first time since we moved. Crisp and cool with the usual very cold wind.  I'm wearing a thin merino top with a very breathable waterproof on top, winter longs on the bottom. Seems perfect down to about -1 - I'll add thin gloves for those temp.

Getting used to the hills, gradually.  Took 1.5 minutes off my previous time for 'standard 5km loop near home'.  Not really a lot of elevation gain but very 'hummocky'.

Enjoying so much running on dry, clean roads, rather than wet broken roads covered in mud.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1176 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:37:24 am »
Feeling frustrated at the weather.

I really cannot risk a visit to A&E so it would be stupid to go and try to run on the snow-dusted ice.

This week looks like a wash out so I will have to make another attempt to get my account working with Rouvy and use the turbo instead.

« Reply #1177 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:39:21 am »
we have a smattering of snow but to ice underneath so I did my 11k.  this is my third 10k in 3 days and I am going to try for 7 in 7.

« Reply #1178 on: 08 February, 2021, 11:00:12 am »
I would love to do that. I could do that. But it would end in injury.

« Reply #1179 on: 08 February, 2021, 11:57:57 am »
That is impressive, Chris. I'm also envious, my joints (well, one in particular) won't tolerate that volume of running.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1180 on: 08 February, 2021, 04:53:18 pm »
 But I am very slow and running at a low HR. My pace is between 6:35 and 6:55 and HR is under 132 for the whole run. I could not do it any faster and survive.
At the moment it is all on roads as our fields are so waterlogged that any running causes too much damage to the ground to be worth it. Also I am in a relatively flat part of the country.

« Reply #1181 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:08:04 pm »
Please tell me that pace is min/km, and not miles  ;D

« Reply #1182 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:20:27 pm »
Sorry, Definitely per km! 

« Reply #1183 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:21:38 pm »
Too late! I've already set fire to my shoes

« Reply #1184 on: 08 February, 2021, 06:04:29 pm »
Too late! I've already set fire to my shoes

I always give my pace in mind/nautical mile to avoid that occurrence;)

« Reply #1185 on: 09 February, 2021, 09:31:02 am »
My fourth 10k completed.  Speed equalled my second best 10krun speed which was good as it dropped yesterday.

« Reply #1186 on: 09 February, 2021, 10:37:16 am »
But I am very slow and running at a low HR. My pace is between 6:35 and 6:55 and HR is under 132 for the whole run. I could not do it any faster and survive.
At the moment it is all on roads as our fields are so waterlogged that any running causes too much damage to the ground to be worth it. Also I am in a relatively flat part of the country.

You make a good point about pace. I've noticed that if I deliberately keep my pace down, my manky ankle doesn't grumble until I reach 10km or more.

Oddly, running up/down hills makes little difference.

Another 5km this morning. Getting better at hills. My legs are the bit that holds me back, they get tired. Not running out (sic) of lung power.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1187 on: 09 February, 2021, 11:24:03 am »
Being a lazy soandso who dislikes pain, I have always struggled with HIIT. So when I heard about Phil Maffetone and running /cycling at low HR I saw it as a better version of training for me. I started at 58 with the cycling giving me a HR aim of 118. I added 5 for regular training and chose to give myself another 5 as I have a Pectus  excavatum which means that my stroke volume is probably slightly lower than normal.

I have stayed at the same HR ever since and now with my running as well.
Chatting with a friend who is a bit of a running history expert he showed me some articled he wrote on a ram and Ovett where he showed that the overwhelming majority of their training would fit into the maffetone protocols.

It is a much more time intense protocol than HIIT as it takes time to do but lets me enjoy my cycling and now running at 62.

« Reply #1188 on: 09 February, 2021, 05:53:05 pm »
I have been for a walk and conclude that unless we have another dump of snow or freezing rain overnight I will be able to run tomorrow. 

Happy about that.  😎

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5
« Reply #1189 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:40:28 pm »
An email I received today started with “ We’re sorry you didn’t get a ballot place...” which while disappointing is probably just as well given my current training status. Also, given Covid I’m not sure if the London marathon will actually take place.

As for getting out, we’ve still got lots of snow here, and only the main roads have been ploughed and gritted and with the BIG FREEZE predicted for tonight the only way I’ll get out is if I put crampons on my trainers.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1190 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:35:10 pm »
I had one of those too.  I find it a bit rich that they then ask me to pay more money to enter the virtual marathon draw given that I donated my application fee.

I've already decided to work on doing a couple of half marathons in October and applying for London 2022 but not gifting my entry fee.  I also have a bizarre event provisionally planned for December.  Let's see if that comes to fruition.

« Reply #1191 on: 09 February, 2021, 10:08:48 pm »
I was aiming to run tomorrow if it wasn't slippery. Alas I have been summoned to the office for work stuffs. Boo. And given the lanes wot don't get sun and the fact it might hit a heady high of 1C tomorrow I can't even take the bike in ont' train and cycle home.

Boo!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1192 on: 10 February, 2021, 07:31:53 am »
Another slightly thicker dusting overnight.  The pavements were largely clear yesterday late afternoon so I will go and check the state of play before deciding on whether to run today or not.

« Reply #1193 on: 10 February, 2021, 08:26:55 am »
Yup.  It's unpredictable underfoot.  Feels solid and suddenly there hides a little pool of dusted over ice to s are it's unwitting victim.  To walk is perfectly possible: to run would be folly in my opinion.

I think that I should just write this week off and relax about it.

« Reply #1194 on: 10 February, 2021, 10:02:54 am »
BAd news: Massive heel slip in my new Hokas. Got big blisters on the insides of my heels (weird!) after my 8 mile run. I have not experienced this with any other shoe ever.

I've changed the lacing pattern, and I'm going to do a 5 miler later. Fingers crossed

« Reply #1195 on: 10 February, 2021, 10:18:59 am »
BAd news: Massive heel slip in my new Hokas. Got big blisters on the insides of my heels (weird!) after my 8 mile run. I have not experienced this with any other shoe ever.

I've changed the lacing pattern, and I'm going to do a 5 miler later. Fingers crossed
I love my current Hoka Stinson ATR.  I did try a road shoe to see what it was like and after 5k had rubbed the back of my heel and sent them back.
Buying from Hoka direct is good as they give 30 day trial period with no questions.

« Reply #1196 on: 10 February, 2021, 10:19:57 am »
That was my 5th daily run.  12 km today but slower 7:05 pace as the dusting of snow made me warier about striding out.

« Reply #1197 on: 10 February, 2021, 12:13:37 pm »

I love my current Hoka Stinson ATR.  I did try a road shoe to see what it was like and after 5k had rubbed the back of my heel and sent them back.
Buying from Hoka direct is good as they give 30 day trial period with no questions.

Ah, I wish I had known that! I bought from sportshoes. Massive discount, but not really an option to return after use.  Wonder what they do with all the used shoes?

Davef

« Reply #1198 on: 10 February, 2021, 12:57:21 pm »
I first came across hokas in 2015. I was at a running expo and was talking to a woman working on one of the stands and was discussing running shoes when she said she really liked her hokas and was wearing a pink pair at the time. As I was unfamiliar with brand I said “do you do much distance running ?”. That was when I met Elisabet Barnes winner of the marathon des sables.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1199 on: 10 February, 2021, 03:24:47 pm »

Ah, I wish I had known that! I bought from sportshoes. Massive discount, but not really an option to return after use.  Wonder what they do with all the used shoes?
What a colleague of mine would do In such a situation is buy another identical pair direct from Hoka and send those back to sportshoes unused for a refund, then send the used shoes back to hoka in the 30 days for a refund from them. He used to do this with stuff from John Lewis and saw nothing wrong with it. Mind ewe, he had a few odd ideas and when it came to saving money, he had absolutely no morals at all.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.