Author Topic: Tour de Stour 6 April  (Read 2530 times)

Martin

Tour de Stour 6 April
« on: 21 March, 2019, 04:45:50 pm »
Not heard of this before is it new?

It mentions camping in the blurb anyone know what variety that is? thinking it might make another good ECE

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Tour de Stour 6 April
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2019, 04:51:03 pm »
Yes new, a first time organiser.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

simonp

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2019, 04:55:40 pm »
There have been similar events run in the past - a 100km and 200km variant in the past, I did the 200k years ago.

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2019, 06:24:20 pm »
Oh so that’s why I can’t find Grand Tour de Stour.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2019, 08:00:30 pm »
it's on, a 160 on the same day

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2019, 09:53:51 pm »
The Stour rides take in some nice countryside and lanes.  If these are the ones out of Long Melford that I am thinking of.

« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2019, 10:28:18 pm »
Always a good ride, but one on which I've failed a number of times. Maybe I can get round 160km even if I can't manage 200km for some reason :-[

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2019, 11:09:35 pm »
Entered

will look for an Audax hotel,,,,

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2019, 11:13:47 am »
Always a good ride, but one on which I've failed a number of times. Maybe I can get round 160km even if I can't manage 200km for some reason :-[

It's the return to base in the middle isn't it. Always a killer.

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2019, 08:48:35 pm »
It's the return to base in the middle isn't it. Always a killer.
Yes. And yes.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #10 on: 06 April, 2019, 03:21:22 pm »
Just had first opportunity to have a quick break helping out with the event, and it has been quite relentless all day.

More riders are now returning, and it's back to work with the helping.

Hope everyone have enjoyed the day.
CCS - Setting the Standards

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 06 April, 2019, 03:37:01 pm »
My first DNF at an audax  >:(

About 45km in, my lower back started giving me gyp, as did both hips, and it was only getting worse as I rode.  I completed the first 65km loop and Ian did his best to persuade me out again, and I think I could have completed it, but at the cost of general back narkiness for several days.  After coffee, a sandwich and malt loaf, I decided discretion was called for, I can always ride another day.   

I think a combination of the cold getting into the injury, plus having spent a lot of last week sitting down or travelling is to blame.  Yesterday despite being at my standing desk my back was a bit sore as well. My conclusion is that I really need to get the recumbent back on the road as it's a lot gentler on the back.

Thanks Ian, Jane etc, it was a very well delivered event.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12 on: 06 April, 2019, 08:39:58 pm »
Another excellent ride. Sudbury CC, purveyors of ''Rolls Royce' class Audaxes.

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 07 April, 2019, 09:12:05 am »
Another excellent ride. Sudbury CC, purveyors of ''Rolls Royce' class Audaxes.
+1  :thumbsup: well worth the journey although not the Audax gazebo I found the night before mostly coz of the cold :(. Note to self check that the Garmin is taking you round the second loop rather than straight back on the ECE next time (I found the info after a 6km detour which is why I was riding the other way) although it did afford a good view of the excellent Long Melford church

My ECE back to Harlow involved the Flitch Way (for old times sake as I walked it years ago) so I also briefly strayed into ACMEland. Good to see a few DDers too and well done for all the other ECE'ers

Thanks Ian Raymond Jane and your other willing and excellent helpers sorry couldn't manage CAIK on top of the excellent sarnies and soup

« Reply #14 on: 07 April, 2019, 10:24:56 am »
Sounds like I missed out on a great event (Raymond did tempt and inform me it was in Suffolk, as it wasn’t on my list of possibles for yesterday). After working out a 75 mile route to the start, and a route to Leicester (both saved for future events), I decided on a 200 diy as had family visiting.

I’ll look out for this ride next year.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2019, 12:36:57 am »
For the third week running I ventured into Suffolk for a 100k plus ride, the weather gods not smiling but always good to be riding through parts of my childhood in Langham, I used to live in the big Georgian house on the bend behind the big wall, sadly my mum was only the housekeeper and not the owner, but General Harter was my godfather. Christened in Langham church and there is a Geoff Sharpe in the graveyard, fortunately not me yet, my uncle after whom I am named.

Good to see all my Sudbury friends, especially Raymond on volunteer duty, and the pleasure of Brian Mann's company for the last 30k, he wanted to ride with me to take things easier.Rode a bit with the Sudbury Tri ladies on loop one which helped the time to pass, not having The Straggler for company. Well looked after as always with plenty of food and drink at the finish, then a 40 metre ride back to the Bull Hotel as Mrs Saxon had invited herself for the weekend. Seems like she has invited herself for next year, perhaps I had better keep quiet about Bildeston.

Building up nicely for the next few weeks, all these PBP qualifiers, although I will be riding in Italy in September instead of France in August, but good to be joining friends as they prepare.