Author Topic: 3 Down 300K, 2013  (Read 25830 times)

Re: 3 Down 300K, 2013
« Reply #100 on: 08 April, 2015, 06:30:40 pm »
Just thought I'd (finally) add my thoughts on the ride here.

I really enjoyed riding 3down. It was my first 300 of this year, and ever. It's a great route this one and I had a lovely day on the bike. I rode with Pppete off and on for most of the day which was nice as I rode with him and Maggie on my first ever audax last year.

The first half scared me a little as it had some not bad hills in it which I actually enjoyed (a new experience to me). I think I'm echoing the sentiments of others when I say that the section from 150km-200km was brutal. The 10km of new forest headwind followed by some rolling until the info control at 200 I really suffered through. I was worrying about if I'd finish when I got to the info and just had to get off the bike for a bit, but I joined up with a couple of chaps for the leg into the next control which helped to boost moral and remind me that I was enjoying myself!

There's not much to say about the last 100 other than it was nice to be a bit more sheltered and I continued to be amazed at how the roads were all so quiet (a feature of the entire ride really). A quick blast from winnersh to Chalfont saw me finishing at 10:30 which was an hour and a half earlier than I'd been hoping for!  Definitely the conditions were a factor and this was a ride of two halves; the first half took 7.5 hours and the second 9!

TL;DR great route, bit windy although I still managed to finish in good time.

« Reply #101 on: 08 April, 2015, 11:07:47 pm »
I say that the section from 150km-200km was brutal. The 10km of new forest headwind followed by some rolling until the info control at 200 I really suffered through.
Aye, but you were still a good bit faster than me over it, I left Fordingbridge before you, but you not only overtook me but had time for your sit-down at Sparsholt and still got away from there before I arrived.
To be fair, a little local knowledge goes a long way...I warned of headwinds over Ocknell Plain in #82 of this thread.... and I knew that last drag up to Sparsholt from Timsbury, although  barely noticeable when done at the start of 'local' ride would feel a lot harder with 180km in the legs.    Fretting about time elapsed over a stretch like that was always going to be counter-productive, far better to try to keep fuelled, hydrated and just grind it out.

« Reply #102 on: 09 April, 2015, 10:07:14 am »
I say that the section from 150km-200km was brutal. The 10km of new forest headwind followed by some rolling until the info control at 200 I really suffered through.
Aye, but you were still a good bit faster than me over it, I left Fordingbridge before you, but you not only overtook me but had time for your sit-down at Sparsholt and still got away from there before I arrived.
To be fair, a little local knowledge goes a long way...I warned of headwinds over Ocknell Plain in #82 of this thread.... and I knew that last drag up to Sparsholt from Timsbury, although  barely noticeable when done at the start of 'local' ride would feel a lot harder with 180km in the legs.    Fretting about time elapsed over a stretch like that was always going to be counter-productive, far better to try to keep fuelled, hydrated and just grind it out.

Tell me you had booked this ride as a back up Pete, and weren't planing on riding the Wonderful Wessex the day before as well!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #103 on: 09 April, 2015, 01:12:24 pm »

I don't know if I'd seen your other message on this thread, however you did tell me on the day that there'd be a nasty headwind section later.  So I shouldn't have been been surprised that it was a nasty section.  Although my fretting was less about time lost over that section but how wrecked I felt on it as I did still have another 100km to go!

« Reply #104 on: 09 April, 2015, 02:35:38 pm »
+1 on Pppete's comment about 160-164km (though it was a bit further than that).  It was a comfort when pushing through the headwind.

So, how many of us stopped for a breather outside the Sparsholt Church? That 15 8* minutes on the grass got me to the end.

(just realised, this is only the second ever calendar ride I've completed ..... can't decide if that's should have a smiley or a sad face after it)

*Edit: I didn't stop nearly as long as I thought.  It made quite a difference though.

« Reply #105 on: 09 April, 2015, 02:51:58 pm »
This was my first 300 and only my second audax (after the Steam Ride last month). I think I was just setting off from Sparsholt as that picture was taken.

I am glad it was not just me in need of a sit down after that windy section but I had decided I needed more than a few minutes on a bench and pushed on to the next control at Alresford. On arrival I spied a group of riders departing from Pizza Express and realised that was just what I needed. I took a long stop and wondered if I could complete the ride but figured that a hypothetical taxi back to Chalfont St Peter would be cheaper if I could go a bit further, so I drank a double espresso and set off.

The rest/food/caffeine helped and the wind had dropped by now. I got my second wind and started to enjoy the ride again but route finding got tricky as it got dark and my lights were pathetic. Fresh batteries at Sainsburys in Winnersh helped but not as much as tagging on with a pair of locals who seemed to know exactly where they were going. I managed to hang with them to the finish getting in just after 22:30.

I found the ride very hard and when I got on a bike the next day to avoid stiffening up I seemed to have nothing left in my legs. I am now wondering whether to continue with my SR (and potentially PBP) plans and do the Asparagus and Strawberries 400 next month or to back off and ease myself into audax riding more gently.

« Reply #106 on: 09 April, 2015, 03:24:14 pm »
This was my first 300 and only my second audax (after the Steam Ride last month). I think I was just setting off from Sparsholt as that picture was taken.

I am glad it was not just me in need of a sit down after that windy section but I had decided I needed more than a few minutes on a bench and pushed on to the next control at Alresford. On arrival I spied a group of riders departing from Pizza Express and realised that was just what I needed. I took a long stop and wondered if I could complete the ride but figured that a hypothetical taxi back to Chalfont St Peter would be cheaper if I could go a bit further, so I drank a double espresso and set off.

The rest/food/caffeine helped and the wind had dropped by now. I got my second wind and started to enjoy the ride again but route finding got tricky as it got dark and my lights were pathetic. Fresh batteries at Sainsburys in Winnersh helped but not as much as tagging on with a pair of locals who seemed to know exactly where they were going. I managed to hang with them to the finish getting in just after 22:30.

I found the ride very hard and when I got on a bike the next day to avoid stiffening up I seemed to have nothing left in my legs. I am now wondering whether to continue with my SR (and potentially PBP) plans and do the Asparagus and Strawberries 400 next month or to back off and ease myself into audax riding more gently.

Go for it. 16.5 hours for a first (any!) 300k is a respectable time. 400k is only another 4-5 hours in the saddle. If you ease up a little in speed your distance will improve markedly.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #107 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:06:44 pm »

I never have anything left in my legs the day after.  Don't matter if it's a 200, a 300, a 400 - there's nothing there.  Fortunately I'm that slow on 600s and longer that I get so little sleep and my legs don't have a chance to realise it's "the day after"  ;D

« Reply #108 on: 18 April, 2015, 11:39:37 pm »
a late addition to this thread, I forgot I had taken a couple of pics to illustrate the glamour of audax

https://flic.kr/p/rULQXi

https://flic.kr/p/scaWKv

sadly it is beyond my ability to embed these photos in the message, I have been trying for 1/2 an hour and it's now past my bed time

« Reply #109 on: 19 April, 2015, 01:14:43 am »
sadly it is beyond my ability to embed these photos in the message, I have been trying for 1/2 an hour and it's now past my bed time

« Reply #110 on: 19 April, 2015, 10:56:14 am »
Just one of the five a day. Maintaining the high standards of Willesden CC out on the road  ;D

Re: 3 Down 300K, 2013 now 2016
« Reply #111 on: 28 February, 2016, 10:20:20 pm »
Just to remind you that the 2016 Willesden 3 Down 300K will be run just over a month from now on Saturday April 2.  And you can get better nosh than the cold baked beans my illustrious clubmate (see above posts) wolfed down at Fordingbridge.

I can't promise there won't be headwinds, but the last 70K is reasonably benign when it comes to hills and so it makes a good first 300 ride.

Details and entry at http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-417/

Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #112 on: 12 December, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »
Does anyone know if this is planned for 2017 or whether there will be a year off?

Re: 3 Down 300K, 2017
« Reply #113 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:31:13 pm »
Good news! Plans are being hatched to run the event on 1st April 2017, the foolish and non-foolish will all be welcome.
The event should be listed in the AUK calendar soon.

« Reply #114 on: 01 January, 2017, 05:34:22 pm »
Does anybody know if this is going to be run this year? Just trying to formalise some sort of plan for the year.

Cheers and Happy New Year

« Reply #115 on: 01 January, 2017, 06:07:21 pm »
Have you checked the AUK calendar for April?

« Reply #116 on: 01 January, 2017, 08:39:41 pm »
Err, yes and I can't find it, hence why I am asking.  The last post said it was scheduled for the 01 /04/17 and unless it's a very early April fools joke, it ain't there at the moment.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #117 on: 01 January, 2017, 09:07:30 pm »
[Official Hat On]

The current Org wishes to pass over the event - an acceptable replacement has yet to be agreed, and until then the event has not been listed.

[/OHO]
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #118 on: 02 January, 2017, 07:39:06 am »
Thanks for that, let's hope your search is successful!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #119 on: 04 January, 2017, 11:15:16 am »
[Official Hat On]

The current Org wishes to pass over the event - an acceptable replacement has yet to be agreed, and until then the event has not been listed.

[/OHO]

Now listed, fill yer boots!
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #120 on: 04 January, 2017, 12:48:36 pm »
Woo Hoo, will have to re-arrange my calendar again ;D

Re: 3 Down 300K, 2018
« Reply #121 on: 05 July, 2018, 01:53:54 pm »
The 300K 3 Down is back again this year on September the 8th. Being late in the Audax year it gives a good chance to pick up points for PBP pre-qualification.

It runs from Chalfont St Peter just outside the M25, scenically to the far side of the New Forest and back.

The route is essentially the same as in previous years, except that Annie's cafe which has closed, is being replaced by somewhere nearby.

If you have done the ride before, in the usual April slot with only the first few shoots of spring, the lushness of summer makes it almost seem like a different ride.

Several people have already asked me about 2019. It will run as a BRM for PBP qualification, so the event will be published in September. Enter at http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-417/
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

3 Down 300K, 2018 8th September
« Reply #122 on: 28 August, 2018, 10:10:03 pm »
Still space and a Friday night sleepover is on offer for arriving at the Chalfont St Peter Community Centre between around 10.00pm and 11:15. There are pubs and a restaurant or two if you are earlier.

Route all checked and long chunks are lovely in their late summer lushness. The alpaca herd of Whitchurch provide a little taste of the Andes in a small corner of rural Berkshire and a branch of the Test across the road from the new Stockbridge control had fat trout jumping for bread when I passed that way. The ford at Eversley, a feature of early 3 Downs has been reinstated to avoid a nasty bit of A Road.

In terms of climbs only one longish one, White Hill after Kingsclere at 100m for 11% is any great challenge, there are a few others that are short and sharp.

A link to event entry is in my previous post.

« Reply #123 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:52:36 pm »
Still wondering what to do this weekend - I have a few places left on the 3 Down, Just re-christened  Near London to just past New Forest  Entry at http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-417/   

Get in quick and for hardened audaxers there is the bus shelter with a mosaic right opposite the Sparsholt info.

« Reply #124 on: 07 September, 2018, 10:20:59 am »
Looking forward to this - and the weather looks good (although a bit of group riding on the way out might be good).