Author Topic: 3 Down 300K, 2013  (Read 25831 times)

Re: 3 Down 300K, 2013
« Reply #50 on: 07 April, 2013, 11:53:17 am »
As soon as we saw the 3 guys and their support/photographer, we thought they looked like the sort who grace the cover of C+, so no surprise when we discovered what they were doing.  We might be in the background of some of their pictures (so they will have to Photoshop us out!).

« Reply #51 on: 07 April, 2013, 11:54:49 am »
Was I imaging it or were you really riding in shorts?  Hardier than me!
3/4s. I've been wearing them all winter, pretty much. So only a little bit hardier than you ;)

(& I have Merino long johns under them too)

« Reply #52 on: 07 April, 2013, 12:26:21 pm »
It really struck me how far I had been when my wife asked 'why did you text me saying you had nearly finished when you were only in Winnersh?'.  I guess 2 hours to go is 'nearly' in Audax terms!

It's all relative.
I remember thinking that it was a shame that I'de nearly finished PBP when I was 200km from finishing.
I also remember thinking, "Right! Home straight now, soon be home again." when I was at John O Groats on my 2006 Grand Triangle.

On the other hand I've been 50km from home and thinking that I had a long ride to get home...

« Reply #53 on: 07 April, 2013, 06:43:09 pm »
My first successful Audax over 100km and an interesting experience. I may even go as far as "enjoyable" once the memories of my struggle from kilometres 180 to 240 have faded !  It all started well and at halfway I seemed to be in the company of a number of rider. But I was struggling to take on food - every time I ate I felt nauseous and the wind returning through the New Forest really took its toll. Being carved up by the "support car" and covered in dust didn't improve my mood and I hit rock bottom around Sparsholt. Peanuts and a Muller Rice at Arlesford (eaten with a large wooden spoon purchased from the same Co-Op, to the amusement/confusion of the checkout girl) perked me up. Riding the dark lanes alone for the last 4 hours demanded high levels of concentration and my finish at 12:30am was almost anti-climatic (unlike the soup served by Oliver junior !).

Many thanks to Ian and his team for flawless organisation and to various riders for their company and encouragment.

« Reply #54 on: 07 April, 2013, 07:03:04 pm »
Fantastic day out yesterday...thanks for doing a superb job of organising it Ian :thumbsup:

I set out at a quick pace to Pangbourne & kept that up over the beautiful Hampshire Downs & Test Valley to Kimbridge where the 1st puncture struck...not a problem because it gave me chance to have a snack whilst repairing it & timed well to join up with Blueskies, Alex & Nick, plus another chap to Fordingbridge.  Other chap vanished, I opted for the petrol station & re-repaired the puncture :facepalm: whilst the other headed for the chippy before we joined up again & battled the headwinds in the sunshine across a very scenic New Forest...superb :thumbsup:

Nice lunch at New Alresford & then hanging onto Alex as he powered along with the rest of us in tow for a really good run to Winnersh just before 6pm before the final stretch to Chalfont as the sun set, arriving back at about 8:20pm.  Excluding stops, average speed 27.9kph ;D

Next calendar event for me is Heart of England, but might, just might squeeze in a DIY200 (and actually tr and finish it...175k and 180k bail out on recent ones isn't the best :facepalm: ) in next Saturday.

Cheers,

Peter.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #55 on: 07 April, 2013, 07:34:21 pm »
A satisfying ride, at times enjoyable, and at other times, fairly challenging.   I've not ridden much since mid-Feb, with the weather and a spot of chicken pox keeping me inside, so I wasn't sure how it would go so was very pleased.

Good points
- Got round comfortably enough and still felt ok at the end.  Legs ached (and still do) and some bits hurt, but that's to be expected.
- Route tweaks to suit the TT bike and the type of ride I wanted to do worked well.
- Event organisation and ambiance (thanks to Ian and family).  Was great to get back to the warmth of the hall and have a hot bowl of soup and linger, chatting (in short sentences) for an hour or so. 
- Weather.  We were so lucky.  Three days ago it was snowing!
- Feeding.  Have been experimenting with home-made energy drinks and gels so I can keep my calories topped up as I ride.  Worked well in that I neither ran out of energy nor felt sick.
- Test Valley.  My very first audax, back in May 2010, was the Taste of the Test 100km, which went down here and it was great to see it again.  A lovely road.
- Finishing in the daylight (just).  Was a lovely evening and sunset. 

Bad points
- Misjudged time to ride out so was late for the start, but only 10 mins, so not a big deal
- The zips on both of my jackets broke during the day (I was pleased it didn't get too warm in the afternoon as I couldn't take my jacket off or even lower the zip!)
- That long, bumpy straight bit back across the New Forest: purgatory!
- Was not quite fast enough to be able to keep up with Alex/Nick/Blueskies/PAC on the hillier bits - although I must have bumped into them half a dozen times.  Partly the bike which, while quite fast downhill on a straight road is not ideal for climbs or twisty lanes, but mostly my legs, to which much the same applies!

« Reply #56 on: 07 April, 2013, 07:37:21 pm »
saw a loon on a TT bike tear past us fairly early on

Tynan, I was expecting you to jump on my wheel: I'd prepared myself for the sound of heavy breathing!
Was that just coming out of Beaconsfield?

« Reply #57 on: 07 April, 2013, 08:15:31 pm »
Thank you Ian for a great ride, and the team looking after us at the HQ, it seemed I started a run on the Chickpea Dhal.

Spent today fixing several of my annoying squeaks and rattles that got on my nerves, wasn't it great to find those "oh so few" smooth bits of road surface, or was it just me? Fantastic route by the river Test, helped by also being relatively flat and a tail wind. There were points on the ride where I thought it couldn't keep on going up forever.

« Reply #58 on: 07 April, 2013, 10:45:23 pm »
Thanks for a great day's ride and most of all for the control point at Arlesford and their splendid and historic public convenience, which provided a most historic and splendid sit down experience after a near embarrassing incident in the co-op :-[
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #59 on: 07 April, 2013, 11:56:29 pm »
saw a loon on a TT bike tear past us fairly early on

Tynan, I was expecting you to jump on my wheel: I'd prepared myself for the sound of heavy breathing!
Was that just coming out of Beaconsfield?

:)

very good

you went past us like a train, we were two, me in a nightvision top, neither of us twitched other than to both say ''fucking hell'

well done remebering me puffing like a train, I'd had two pints and a big pie and was out of shape then, that puffing only happened a few times on that ride, much later on  steepish hills when the legs were not so keen

you know full bloody well I've never got onto your wheel but I appreciate you suggesting I might   :D

Re: 3 Down 300K, 2013 - gloves left behind
« Reply #60 on: 09 April, 2013, 07:26:10 pm »
Someone left a pair of nice gloves behind at the Arrivee. PM or email me if you think they are your's.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #61 on: 09 April, 2013, 07:56:50 pm »
oooo

I need a nice pair of gloves

They're not mine though

What size? Tynan takes a large

« Reply #62 on: 09 April, 2013, 09:05:54 pm »
The day ride was fantastic, with great scenery and lovely sunshine.  The night ride was tough on the mind.  I'm thankful to have had Colin's company in those last dark hours, he caught up with me after a little 'detour'.  We got full value and lantern rouge to boot. 

I recovered quite well and am now already looking forward to the Severn Across 400.   

Thanks to Ian and team for organising.

MyPhotos
MyBlog

Ian and fboab (?) in the kitchen at HQ Chalfont St Peter.

« Reply #63 on: 25 May, 2013, 04:29:35 pm »
As soon as we saw the 3 guys and their support/photographer, we thought they looked like the sort who grace the cover of C+, so no surprise when we discovered what they were doing.  We might be in the background of some of their pictures (so they will have to Photoshop us out!).

Well I just about made it into Cycling Plus!  I am poking out behind the 3 riders at the bottom of page 214.  My clubmate is on the right on what was one of the rare occasions we were ahead of Lady Cav (it looks like her in pink behind us) and MattC.

« Reply #64 on: 26 May, 2013, 09:46:58 am »
Well I just about made it into Cycling Plus!  I am poking out behind the 3 riders at the bottom of page 214.  My clubmate is on the right on what was one of the rare occasions we were ahead of Lady Cav (it looks like her in pink behind us) and MattC.

Is that in the June edition or are they already into July? I ask as when I looked at C+ in the newsagent the other day all the copies were wrapped in top-shelf plastic covers so I couldnt check if anything had appeared before buying.

btw the cards are now back with me, so you'll get them in the next few days.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #65 on: 26 May, 2013, 05:50:57 pm »

Is that in the June edition or are they already into July? I ask as when I looked at C+ in the newsagent the other day all the copies were wrapped in top-shelf plastic covers so I couldnt check if anything had appeared before buying.

The July one (the one that also has a Tour de France preview) has 2 pages on the 3Down.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
3 Down 300K, 4th April, 2015
« Reply #66 on: 02 March, 2015, 05:46:11 pm »
Hello Chaps,

We are just about on 80 entries so far, which is our riders 'on the road target', however, being ever aware of the attractions that an extra day in bed holds for some of even our most intrepid AUKs we are accepting up to 100 entries. So if you haven't entered now is the time to do so, because once they are gone they are gone, and THERE WILL BE NO ENTRIES ACCEPTED ON THE DAY. I'll say that again, THERE WILL BE NO ENTRIES ACCEPTED ON THE DAY.

And if you don't believe me, check out the calendar listing...

Eyethangyou.

« Reply #67 on: 03 March, 2015, 08:19:34 pm »
Sorry to miss it this due to the Easter arrow, enjoyed the last 2 years doing it. :'(

Phil W

« Reply #68 on: 07 March, 2015, 07:41:21 pm »
Looking forward to it, with a few beers the night before.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: 3 Down 300K, 2015
« Reply #69 on: 22 March, 2015, 10:40:18 am »
Route check done!

It really is a lovely ride this - my second time around it and I appreciated it much more this time.

The wind. The wind!  Last year we had horrendous head winds on the section across the top of the new forest to fordingbridge. This time I flew along there as fast as my little legs could carry me on fixed!  However that meant the return journey was very hard work, the wind was on my nose and very strong for the rest of the day. Soul-destroying stuff.

I will email Manotea with the observations for the route check (3 missing signposts).

One to note from last year - if the kimbridge control is really busy, then about 3-4 km further on is Gilbert's nursery with a nice cafe (you would still have to control at Annie's but it does get busy).

Ooh and Sainsburies at winnersh is very different, it has had a massive refit and the lobby  is much more open now. Still a fairly chilly and soulless place to sit and eat stuff of a Saturday night. The burger van over the way is good (and the only option if you are in winnersh post 10pm) from last year.

My longest day on fixed - not sure until I download all the Garmin data, but somewhere around 360km by the time I rode out to CSP and part of the way back home (tube at Uxbridge rather seduced a very tired and cold Randonneur!).

I hope everyone has a fabulous time in a couple of weeks. And the wind is less strong (there seems to always be wind over the new forest section though) and/or is in a more favourable direction (blows you home).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #70 on: 23 March, 2015, 02:24:52 am »
I enjoyed it last year, my first 300. I would ride it againif I were a little more local.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #71 on: 31 March, 2015, 10:15:49 am »
Trying to decide if I should DNS for this, or just wait to DNF  :(

I broke my clavicle in January, a clean simple break apparently but I'm one of the happy 10% with non-union; ie it will probably need to be be plated which means a 2 hour operation (!!) with 6 weeks of no riding and another one to remove it again later.  At the moment the pain is not bad, so I can postpone it - maybe forever.

Riding 200km hasn't been a problem with the shoulder, but I can't get around in time.  I had about 8 weeks off the bike with the injury and due to things beyond my control, my only exercise in the meantime was walking.  I seriously bonked at around 160km on the steamride, but that was badly jetlagged and only my second ride of any sort in 8 weeks.  On the Stevenage ride on Sunday, I ran out of puff at 183km but that was in atrocious conditions and some serious gps problems.  In both cases I made it to the end, just well out of time.  Some pain around neck, but none in the shoulder.  Oddly potholes aren't a problem, but coughing is.  Medical opinion is split on how bad an off would be at the moment.

So, I guess at this point I'd be confident about finishing a 200km in time, assuming no gales.  Would I be a fool to try a 300km?  I am thinking of PBP, but that thought is fading fast.

(yup, I'm the same jefmcg who flailed about on this forum a lot before LEL 2013   :-[ - and DNF'd that)

« Reply #72 on: 31 March, 2015, 10:59:43 am »
It is, of course, entirely for you to decide.

If it were me, I'd be thinking of getting myself fixed up and building up to some longer events. Live to fight another day.
It's the risk of making it much worse (or someone / something making it much worse) that would concern me.

Very impressed that you've been doing 200's with a broken clavicle  :o
I'd have been at home thinking "oh me poor clavicle, I'd love to go out in the wind and rain but will have to stay home and eat cake instead."

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #73 on: 31 March, 2015, 02:28:02 pm »
Hi jef, something to consider is the the 3Down is a long skinny route, so you could cut across from say Kimbridge to Alresford for a 200km day out. I did that one year and arrived back about 30minutes before Swisshat who hadn't. I blame the long lunch stop with WCC Legend Ray Kelly in Alresford!

« Reply #74 on: 31 March, 2015, 11:35:08 pm »
Thanks.

Gustibus - the broken clavicle is just the explanation for why I have become detrained.  While NHS are gun-ho to operate, a private orthopaedic surgeon thinks it's better to leave it alone if it's not giving me too much trouble, and that falling on it would be fine, as there is nothing to break  :o  And there is no hurry to the surgery, it's can be done months or years into the future.

Manotea - yup, turning it into a 200 is a good idea - though I bet at 100km I decide to see how far I can get.