Author Topic: 3 Down 300K, 2013  (Read 25829 times)

Phil W

Re: 3 Down 300K, 2013
« Reply #75 on: 01 April, 2015, 09:39:55 pm »
Wind is forecast much weaker with no gusts Saturday. I'd say go for it. Have you managed a 200 PBP qualifier in time?

« Reply #76 on: 02 April, 2015, 04:13:46 pm »
I decided I'd try for PBP on 20 January, and picked my rides and rejoined AUK.  21 January, I broke my clavicle.  So I haven't got a 200 under my belt.  If by some miracle I get round this in time, I will go back the aukweb and pour over possible ways to qualify.  I've got a 400 and 600 all ready to DNF.

Honestly, if I was at all superstitious, I'd assume the universe does not want me to enter PBP.  Fortunately I am pretty sure that the universe does not care.

I will give it a go on Saturday: throw the dice and leave the fates to decide.

Thanks for the support.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #77 on: 02 April, 2015, 04:32:45 pm »
Panic not - it's still early. 

Plenty of time yet. 

15 more BRM 200 qualifiers after this weekend
16 BRM 300s
15 BRM 400s
16 BRM 600s

And that's without looking over the channel etc.

I've got a 400 and 600 all ready to DNF.

However, you need a kick up the arse with that approach or you will be far more likely to DNF.  Sorry for the tough love - but self-belief is key to doing this shit. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #78 on: 02 April, 2015, 09:54:44 pm »
Thanks Marcus.

Yeah, I know.  Bit miserable at the moment.  I'll try to pull it together.

« Reply #79 on: 03 April, 2015, 10:12:58 am »
looks like we'll be cruising out with good tailwind, but a bit of a slog back, should stay cool and dry
http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/42bff796-2089-4438-a1e6-ee8057f2c308
see you in the pub  :thumbsup:

« Reply #80 on: 03 April, 2015, 11:59:53 am »
Oh, weather bagel - that's cool.  I was a bit worried about the headwind, until I put in the route last weekend. Tomorrow should be a walk in the park.

« Reply #81 on: 03 April, 2015, 02:34:19 pm »
Wow, look at that wind  :o
Definitely going to be a ride of two halves...
See you in the pub at 9 ish...   ;D

« Reply #82 on: 03 April, 2015, 04:58:34 pm »
If that prediction for wind holds, the bit between
2nd Left, no $ @160 km
and
L @ T $ Bramshaw @ 164 km
is going to be utterly horrid.

The rest of it is certainly not all sheltered, but I can't recall anything as exposed.

Phil W

« Reply #83 on: 03 April, 2015, 06:00:42 pm »
That wind speed is in km/h about a third of what we had last weekend, and there are no gust forecast. I'd say it look fairly benign at the moment.

« Reply #84 on: 03 April, 2015, 06:01:59 pm »
After 7 hours home into the strong head wind on the Stevenage ride last weekend I'm confident looking at the forecast this isn't anywhere near as bad.

« Reply #85 on: 05 April, 2015, 08:36:25 am »
The first half of the ride is such a joy, even more so with a tailwind.  But I'd forgotten how many ups and downs there are on the way back.  I probably say that every year but I'm going to write it down this time so that I remember!

How did it go?  [fingers crossed!]

« Reply #86 on: 05 April, 2015, 11:06:47 am »

https://www.strava.com/activities/279506955

Elapsed time 19:55!!!!

;D  (where's the dancing  emoticon???)

I'll probably post more later, but at the moment I haven't actually sat up in bed yet.

« Reply #87 on: 05 April, 2015, 11:46:08 am »
The first half of the ride is such a joy, even more so with a tailwind.  But I'd forgotten how many ups and downs there are on the way back.

Ain't that the truth, although the last time I'd rode was in 2007 so the route may have changed since 2007.
[In fact I've just unearthed the old card and the last control was Wokingham no Winnersh, but I'd suspect the the lumpy bit was the same].

Compared to The Dean last week, it's not as varied in terrain or view...but it has a lot going for it, a nice rolling rural ride and I'd recommend it no problem. It's been a while since I was down in the New Forest and I'd forgotten just how remote and barren it can feel down there.

It was all quiet until Maidenhead and the bit of the A4 towards Slough where I got loads of drunken mockery from wandering teenagers  :D

Chicken curry was so lovely at the end. Thanks to all.
Garry Broad

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #88 on: 05 April, 2015, 01:04:00 pm »
I've yet to do the sums but we had about 85 on the road yesterday, with just four DNFs that I'm aware of, so it was a good day. Many thanks to Reijet Oliver and family for taking care of the catering, and for Martin, Richard and Peter for looking after Saturday morning. Congrats to jefmcg as our last rider home, and equally to a duo NOTP who rolled in at 11:55 elapsed....

« Reply #89 on: 05 April, 2015, 04:22:25 pm »
Don't normally stop at info controls, but having conquered the headwinds across the forest, this park bench was just too inviting.

« Reply #90 on: 05 April, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »

I'll probably post more later, but at the moment I haven't actually sat up in bed yet.

:thumbsup:

I have been letting out small whimpering noises going up or down stairs today so I share some of your pain.

Good day out with an excellent route, manages to avoid main roads except at the start/end when the roads are quiet - or they are at the times I get there anyway.

Road was closed temporarily by cars and donkeys in the New Forest, one came over to check out my bike and when I gave him/her a pat on the head, Suarez the donkey had a chomp on my arm  :-[

Thanks to Paul and helpers for an excellent day, lots of company / conversations on the route greatly appreciated, especially coming from Winnersh where it helped me ignore the dark, cold and rabid donkey bite.

Phil W

« Reply #91 on: 05 April, 2015, 06:23:16 pm »
Don't normally stop at info controls, but having conquered the headwinds across the forest, this park bench was just too inviting.

I stopped at the pub just down the road on the left.

Phil W

« Reply #92 on: 05 April, 2015, 06:25:27 pm »

That's brilliant, told you you could do it down the pub the night before.

« Reply #93 on: 06 April, 2015, 01:25:18 am »

Brilliant, well done Joan, a truly full-value ride there! See you in Paris!

Compared to The Dean last week, it's not as varied in terrain or view...but it has a lot going for it, a nice rolling rural ride and I'd recommend it no problem...

I imagine Gary that compared to the Kennet Valley Run it was also quite a bit easier... assuming you didn't go round with the brakes on this time  :facepalm:

Thanks Paul and team for another great Willesden ride with all the trimmings, marvellous high standards as usual  :thumbsup:

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #94 on: 06 April, 2015, 01:21:16 pm »

Yes, I wasn't going to sit down, but when a space appeared I couldn't resist it.
A very nice ride, great to ride with faces old and new -at lest two riders told me they were only on their second audax-and good to be back in a large bunch of riders again as its PBP year. Back about 10.30pm. Thanks to Paul and the team.A nice chicken korma at the end as well, and thanks to Martin for a lift to Hampton Court.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #95 on: 06 April, 2015, 06:15:09 pm »
Thanks very much to all the organizers for this ride - I really enjoyed it, and was pleased to do my first 300 in a sensible time (just over 16 hours). The bolt holding my saddle snapped just before Winnersh, so had to do the last bit with everything held together with cable ties.

Was very happy to finally find a use for the spare tire I've carried an all (only 3) of my Audax rides so far - a fellow rider with a ruined side wall whom I found by the side of the road near the Leather Bottle in Eversley. He was going to wait in the pub for a lift home, but unfortunately for him I turned up and left him no excuse but to carry on  :-) .

Walking was a fairly contentious issue for most of Sunday - but now the pain is worn off I'm thinking about the next one already.

Thanks again!

« Reply #96 on: 06 April, 2015, 08:11:37 pm »

I imagine Gary that compared to the Kennet Valley Run it was also quite a bit easier... assuming you didn't go round with the brakes on this time  :facepalm:

Just made the connection and realised why you had to use a piece of driftwood for a brake on the Dean - because you'd worn your blocks away on the KVR!

« Reply #97 on: 06 April, 2015, 08:54:32 pm »

Just made the connection and realised why you had to use a piece of driftwood for a brake on the Dean - because you'd worn your blocks away on the KVR!

Joke.  :facepalm:

Some mechanicals are unforeseen [see Salvatore's chain and Veloboy's crank being reported today] and some are simply because of negligence [err.....my brakes].

I remember ranting on about how many bikes I had to sort out on LEL because of dreadfully poor preparation before hand. So many unnecessary mechanicals, what's wrong with these people?

What's the expression? Something to do with stones and glass houses  ;D

I've just bought myself a huge magnifiying glass and a pair of reading glasses, for ultra close bike inspection. If I come out to play next weekend in Wales, I'm looking to give myself the best possible chance of getting round..believe me!
Garry Broad

« Reply #98 on: 06 April, 2015, 09:37:01 pm »

Not much more to say.  It was, as you might suppose, at the limit of my ability. And thanks to lots of support, it was just inside rather than just outside. 

One flat, no biggie there.  Only delay were all the damn riders coming past who kept offering to help, so I had to stop fixing it and wave them away with a friendly word :)

The headwind wasn't a big problem after last weekend.   Hills are, and I did walk a few, even ones I could ride. 

I was flagging approaching the 200km mark, so I promised myself a break at the first info point. I must have been really out of it, because I rested my bike against the notices board and sat on the grass, about 10 metres from the lovely seat in the post above - but I never saw the seat at all.  The break and snack did me a lot of good, so even though I left the control with practically no time in hand, that still left me with 100km to go in 7 hours.  How hard could that be?

About then I started crossing paths with Jeremy, riding a blue Ribble.  He was a little faster than me, so he passed me twice after taking wrong turns.  As we approached Winnersh, we started riding together, and after getting our cards signed he tried to get a new light going to read his route sheet.  It wasn't working, and I couldn't leave him behind, nor could I wait for him.  So I suggested we ride together - my slower riding was more accurate, so he'd likely to be faster.

We steamed together for the last leg (or steamed by my standards). He kept reporting the time left, and I kept reporting number of km left. We were pretty sure we were out of time, but we weren't giving up. His chain came off just at the bottom of the last hill into Gerrard's Cross.  I stopped to see what was happening, then cursed myself for losing the precious momentum.  While he sorted his bike out, I started walking to the top of the hill, to keep making progress while not getting away from him. 

We pushed and pulled each other over the last few kms.  He wouldn't have made it without my GPS, and I would have taken one too many breathers without him.  Finally got to the arrivee with seconds or minutes to spare - I made it about 1.58, Manotoa reckoned a little earlier.  I'm not quibbling.

Too pieces of gallantry that wrapped up the evening for me: Jeremy holding the door of the community centre for me (so I guess he was actually the last rider in).  And Manotoa driving me home: it was only 26km ride, but when it became obvious I couldn't remember how to get on my bike, he felt pity for me. It was a most welcome rescue.  Put it this way - when we got to Chiswick roundabout, which I know very well, I couldn't remember how to get to Brentford from there.  I was tired.

Long way to go for PBP, but this is progress.  I haven't got eating or drinking right yet, I lost 3kg over the day, which must be dehydration.  It was OK for 300km, but would have started to take it's toll on a 400.

That break picked me up a bit, and things went ok from there.  I got to 

« Reply #99 on: 06 April, 2015, 09:51:45 pm »
Long way to go for PBP, but this is progress.

Hey, well done for getting round within the time.
It's all good progress.

As far as eating and drinking go, we learn with each ride what works for us, and more importantly, what doesn't!
Garry Broad