Author Topic: Kennet Valley Run 7th March  (Read 17429 times)

Re: Kennet Valley Run 7th March
« Reply #100 on: 06 March, 2015, 07:40:39 pm »
Does anyone know if it's ok to get receipts in nearby shops/ cashpoints instead of going into controls if they are packed out?

I am going to be slow so I need to maximise my time on the bike  :)

Normally you'd be fine going for that I think?  Probably best to ask the org at the start though.

However the 2nd control is a sticker in a jar job and the tutti pole is someone signing cards so probably won't take too long despite the massive field so you might be able to do the normal control then dash across the road to the shop?  That's my plan for at least the 1st TP stop as I reckon it'll be mental.  I'm not sure how to do the 2nd control fast though while still finding food, I'm hoping for the field to be split enough by halfway round that it might be ok.

« Reply #101 on: 06 March, 2015, 07:41:22 pm »
RPhilips - PhilD answered this on page 1 on March 1. Where there are minor differences, you can follow the route sheet or the track, your choice.

« Reply #102 on: 06 March, 2015, 07:49:45 pm »
RPhilips - PhilD answered this on page 1 on March 1. Where there are minor differences, you can follow the route sheet or the track, your choice.

Ah yes!  Just reread his message and it was quite clear actually... if you actually read it properly!

Thanks!

« Reply #103 on: 07 March, 2015, 10:29:22 am »
DNS
After an 18 hour day yesterday (work not cycling) the duvet won.
[/wimp]

« Reply #104 on: 07 March, 2015, 10:33:01 am »
I'm sitting here looking at the stuff drying on the line in the sun & feeling wistful. Lovely day for a bike ride. But for that crash on my birthday, I'd be out.

Mrs B set off (with matching tyres again - retro amber wall Panaracer Paselas to match her retro red Orbit frame) to meet another at her house, pick up simon_b otp & another outside Cotswold Camping, & ride to the start, where they should meet up with at least four other regulars on our local rides who've announced they're doing the 100. Should be quite a pack if they stick together. May be spotted in or outside a pub around lunchtime, possibly the Downgate at Hungerford (coming back from the Tutti Pole) or the Fox at Hermitage.

A couple of potential local 200 riders are helping out, including Nick.C otp (LEL rider), but there are some others doing it.

[Edit]13:30 - Some of the above group are about to arrive at the Fox. I thought they'd be moving faster.

[Edit] Mrs B's group (9 cyclists) left the Fox in time to finish before the deadline. They've mostly, plus a couple of others, moved on to the Queens Head, Christchurch Road, Reading, near the main entrance of the university.

Mrs B's home. Perfect day for it. The final tally was 300 on the two rides. The organisers were rather busy/
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #105 on: 07 March, 2015, 06:13:44 pm »
Chapeau to Mrs B for having the good sense to incorporate a few pub stops into her ride.  I was tempted to try the Royal Oak in Yattenden but somehow had ended up with a mini group who were less tempted by such things.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #106 on: 07 March, 2015, 08:20:16 pm »
Out today with my now traditional late arrival which meant i spent the day alone. I didn't  figure it made much difference as Im mega slow(er)right now.

Great day to be out, though feeling sorry for the red Lamp brigade still on the road when the sun went down as it  was getting cold real quick.

Mega day, well done organisers!

« Reply #107 on: 07 March, 2015, 08:32:02 pm »
Lovely sunny springlike day, would have been perfect without that wind.

Nice to catch up with HK in the first half, rode 2nd half with Matt. I have had far too long off audaxes and 200k is FAR, I want to eat everything. My legs hurt.

Good to get back before 5 because it meant I could get home and watch Villa get to Wembley, topping off a great day

« Reply #108 on: 07 March, 2015, 08:35:29 pm »
Lovely day out in the countryside and considering I haven't done much on the bike this year for various reasons I managed to get round without too much pain. The tea and cake at the end were great. Many thanks to the organisers and helpers.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #109 on: 07 March, 2015, 08:39:42 pm »
A spot on day.

Many thanks to the organisers and that young chap who was manning the control at Hungerford. On that subject, I just wanted to apologise for trying to put my willy in his hot chocolate.

H

« Reply #110 on: 07 March, 2015, 09:43:56 pm »
a good day out on the bike. It started as planned meeting RPhillips at 06:15 by my local, to ride to Grazely.

Then 6km into the ride I dropped the bike, left turn major to minor and the rear stepped, I laid it down low side grazed hip and a sore wrist.

Rode the whole ride with Rob, this was a Godsend on the way out into the wind, tail wind back made the return much easier until the climbing in the last leg.

Set off to ride the journey home, got half way and had a fairy visit in the rear wheel. OK says I change tube, but I couldn't get the tyre off. Therefore I had to call my brother-in-law for recovery.

No taken two co-codamol and will see how the wrist is in the morning before I go to the urgent care unit.

Org said 160 riders on each ride. The 200 had a couple of mechanical dnfs, one rim failure and a pedal failure.

« Reply #111 on: 07 March, 2015, 10:48:21 pm »
Out today with my now traditional late arrival which meant i spent the day alone.
That explains why I saw you arriving at Hungerford as I set off back, having had lunch.

I started a few minutes late myself. Road works for the rebuilding of the Luton airport junction of the M1 meant we were sent through Luton town centre and onto the motorway one junction to the north. Hence I rode pretty much alone all day, apart from the odd rider I passed or who passed me.

It was hard in the wind, but a lovely day to be out.

« Reply #112 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:34:55 am »
Well.....that was a reality check. I had a shocker.
Got back at 9.15pm. Volunteers cleaning up [but I did get some soup - thank you so], and mugs of good tea.

15min out of time. First ever.
I am almost too embarrassed to tell you what kind of a sabotage job I did on my day.

To be as briefly self-indulgent as poss, forgive the ramble:
The recumbent I was riding I built in 2008 and rode it down to Spain. No problem. Nice bike. Heavy, but good for touring. That was one of the best cycling experience I've had.
Been riding DF's for a few years since then, but now fancy going back to the Dark Side. Ok, fine. Pull bear frame out of loft - kit it out with basic things. Away we go.
Get to the start, good to catch up with Salvatore for the first few km, chat for a bit, but start to get uncomfortable inner feeling that 'O boy, this feels slow and sluggish, could be a tough day out there.' Salvatore shoots off. Can't stay with him.
Get to Hungerford [after putting the fear of god into a couple of horses], get educated by Feline about why horses can get so nervous around recumbents then make way to Bratton. Progress is slow. Very slow. It's hard, arduous and slow.
It's the head wind you see, it's affecting everybody and I haven't been on this thing for years, and I've been drinking a lot, and I'm so unfit, really unfit, and it's heavy, there's no way I'm doing an SR on this thing, it's a joke, what the hell am I doing, and PBP is a loads of old bollocks anyway.
Words desert me to describe the feeling of being passed by almost every returning rider as I was still making my way to Bratten. Especially Salvatore ;) And Hummers, never again pretend you're not fit...to me! Cause I saw different!
Get to Bratten with 20mins to spare. Things are getting tight. But now we have tail wind.
Ah, all is resolvable. With tail wind we fly like a good'un. But it's not what I was expecting. Not that great actually. Bike is still sluggish, it's not responding to me! Where is the energy from my pedaling going? When I pedal it's not moving well. It's these tyres, must be the tyres as well - they're crap too.
Back to Hungerford, 30 mins to spare, should be ok, but the next bit is lumpy. [By my standards - it is lumpy.]
Hauling this heavy monstrous mild steel beast over the lumps gets tough, in darkness now and time is ticking away.
Haven't seen a soul for hours [no absurdly bright rear flashers either - hey, this was a good day! I should be grateful for that]. Call me Lantern Rougue. It will be my first.
Get flat. Big flint. Change tube and carry on. Actually sit on a bench, get bitter and say out loud, "who needs PBP anyway, it's over-rated rubbish and why do people get so up their arses about doing it...like, yet again. Why don't they do something else with their lives? Like a different 1200km, eh?"
Carry on. Get to Yattendon. Pub looks nice. Instant thought - "anybody with any sense will be in there and not out here doing what I'm doing." Memories of Don Black unfold.
Just outside Yattendon, walk up a steep but small incline. I never walk hills even on recumbent. But will is fading. I've had enough.
Start to push bike up hill. Eh? Bike feels hard to push. Look underneath, must be the bottle dynamo [actually worked
pretty well with a Cyo Premium]. Disengage dynamo. Push again. No. Still hard to push. Lift up front wheel. Wheel
doesn't spin. What the..? Wheel doesn't spin. Get Vipassana insight, and makes profound psychological connection between putting the wheel on this morning.....quickly....and wheel not turning now. What the...? Penny finally drops:
The pads have been rubbing against the rotor all day - for 190km to be exact. All bloody day!!!!!
Loosen quick release. Wheels makes a nice little clinking sound and drops sweetly into place, as they do. Get on bike, start pedaling. "Ah, moving nicely now, that feels great. Always knew this was a good bike."
Pedal last 15km furiously, get back, but alas, out of time, by 15min. Have some soup and people are thoughtful to hold some back. This was very much appreciated. Many thanks to Mike and the team. This is a good part of the country to ride events like this.

Moral of story: if you take a wheel during transportation for an Audax, put it back properly before you start. Like....err....with a disc wheel, rotate the wheel and see if it spins. If it does, this is good, it means it will go round during the day. Schoolboy error. My next publication will be called - Zen and the Art of Putting a Wheel on Properly. As they say in the Unitefd States - what a Dork! You are free to point and laugh. You can't take these things that seriously. Really.

Still, what the hell, I got a good work out all day [bit like being on a Turbo Trainer for 14hrs going nowhere], and the Sun shone and the wind blew, and people were nice and loads of people qualified for PBP. So all is well.  :thumbsup:

Back to the drawing board.
Right, sorry about all that. I need a beer. I will definitely be going to the Beer Shop tomorrow. Probably all day actually :-)
Garry Broad

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #113 on: 08 March, 2015, 02:36:04 am »
Well, it was great to see you at the start Gary  8)

H

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #114 on: 08 March, 2015, 07:00:03 am »
The pads have been rubbing against the rotor all day - for 190km to be exact. All bloody day!!!!!

:facepalm:

You wally. ;D

Just call it resistance training. The good news is PBP should be a doddle after that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #115 on: 08 March, 2015, 07:08:13 am »
 :thumbsup: after all!

« Reply #116 on: 08 March, 2015, 07:29:43 am »
And the good news is, I can walk this morning and looking for another 100 to do before the Dorset Coastlet at the end of March, then on to the 200s with Double Dutch in April.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #117 on: 08 March, 2015, 07:57:17 am »
Well I reckon that was a pretty good first Audax. Finished at 6, so not *completely* dark. Everyone was very friendly, and the controls were a lot quicker than I'd expected from reading this thread. I've learned that comfort > fitness - my legs are not too bad this morning, but the rest of me is a bit broken...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #118 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:11:04 am »
Salvatore shoots off. Can't stay with him.

Words never before seen in a ride report.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #119 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:20:20 am »
Hauling this heavy monstrous mild steel beast over the lumps gets tough

Tell me about it!

I saw you as I returned from Bratton and was surprised how far back you were. You did not look a happy bunny it has to be said.

As for me...

From the start of the ride to the RT@T the magnificent Pashley Roadster Sovereign was in the lead :) But that situation quickly changed over the next few kilometers as about 150 riders passed me. Which I thought was terribly unsporting of you lot.

The Pashley's regal riding position, which makes it such a joy to ride, towering over all other bikes (and most vehicles too!) is a slight disadvantage when you're riding into a headwind. I threw myself on the ground and openly wept with relief on reaching Bratton.

To counter my relative slowness (absolute slowness, surely) I gave the tailenders a masterclass in how to bounce controls  8) and yet I still bought food or drink at Hungerford and Bratton.

The route back to Hungerford was, as expected, much easier. So, just for fun you understand, I decided to go off route. Twice. The first time I made the classic mistake of asking a local for directions. He, on a bike ("just getting fit") proceeded to:
a. show me how fast he could ride (he couldn't) and
b. how he knew the best way to get to Pewsey (he didn't)

After a mile or so I said I was sorry but basically he hadn't a clue and I turned round to figure out how to get back on track my self (I did)

Into the Boxford Alps (someone should report them to the local Trading Standards - there wasn't an Alp in site) and I plugged manfully onwards. Stopping for entirely gratuitous faffing four times. I couldn't work out how cold it was; it should have felt a lot colder than it did but but it didn't. So there was gloves on/gloves off, extra layer on/extra layer off faffage aplenty.

Convinced I still had an hour or two's riding to go I stopped at the Co-Op in Theale to buy something to drink. I make a point of never knowing how far the next control is, or where I am. Top randonneuring tip there. Then John Spooner OTP rode past as I was climbing back onto the Pashley. I caught him and asked how far we still had to go - "It's about seven point oh two kilometers" he said. (About?) "And flat as anything" he added. Suits me just fine I replied.

So we rode along in anything-but-silence to Grazeley; me missing the right-hand turn into Arrivée just for good measure.

I'd like to thank Mick and the team for superb service and TLC at the controls - it's very much appreciated.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #120 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:25:29 am »
Lovely sunny springlike day, would have been perfect without that wind.

200k is FAR,
Good to get back before 5
You must have been flyin'.

« Reply #121 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:54:16 am »
That was a fab day.

On the first section to Hungerford sat in a couple of nice groups which helped with the wind.

And at Hungerford the crush of bikes at the Tutti Pole convinced a local worthy to come out and remonstrate (pointlessly) with anyone who tried to lean their bikes against the (vacant) shop window next door. (he was still there like an avenging guardian when I came back at 3!).

Ground out the run to Bratton and bounced the control in favour of a farm shop a couple of K back up the road and whizzed down to Hungerford.

The nice thing about the day was that although my pace didn't seem to match many people for very long and I spent quite a lot of time alone, I had dozens of nice chats hear and there...its what makes Audax fun for me; the general friendliness of it all!

New saddle not a success!

Impressive organisation - coping with the numbers that rode.  Even the first queue at the Tutti Pole in the morning wasn't too bad at all!

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #122 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:41:59 am »
A ride of two halves. A windy struggle for 100km then a return leg hitting 40km on the flat sections with a tail wind to die for. Apart from the last 20 km into hunger ford the first time I rode solo all day, got to Bratton to find two others there before me. A quick coffee and beans on toast and out before it got too busy. Lots of smiling faces and waves from outgoing riders as well as a few looking like they had ridden 100km into a headwind! Got a quick stamp at hungerford then out for the last 50 km. I started to join the tail Enders of the 100km riders  with about 25 km to go, many of whom seemed to be having a far more sensible ride than me talking and laughing their way along. Back to Grazeley at 3.10 for my quickest 200km to date.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #123 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:54:47 am »
Glad to hear we weren't the only ones who had an eventful ride.

As everyone else was setting off we were still putting the tandem together. A few minutes earlier I had had an urgent call of nature and had to queue. So setting off 5 mins late, but not too worried. After battling the headwind to Mortimer for ten mins, I suddenly realised I'd forgotten my brevet card. I blame the 3 hours sleep I got. The couple in the hotel room next to us thought that 4am was a great time to get intimately acquainted. I imagine they regretted that when we our microwaved porridge PINGed them awake 2 hours later!   :demon:

Anyway, Erica forgave me, even after, back in the car park in Grazeley I spotted that our S+S couplings were loose.  :facepalm: Fixed and back on the road all alone. Didn't see a soul for ages. Doing sums in our heads about how fast we had to go to be within the time. Got to Hungerford with 15 mins to spare. I had a flapjack and Erica downed a cheese baguette in one bite. Nice to see Von Broad, Wobbly and a couple of other folk whose names I don't know.

On leaving the rear wheel was rubbing the brake a bit - must've been when I fitted the new pitlock skewer. Tweaked it a carried on. A few miles later, Erica got out of the saddle on a climb and we heard a metallic ping. Not nice, but could've been something in the road. An while later there was a tinkling noise from the back on the bike. OK, wake up, bikes shouldn't go tinkle, right? Oh, broken spoke. Removed it, had a supportive chat with Von Broad and carried on with no more out of the saddle honking. On reaching Pewsey Velo, we discovered a second broken spoke, but they didn't have the right size. It turns out that Rohloff hubs on 26" wheels need 230-235 or so. They did try to help, though. I eased off the brake to allow for the wheel wobble, but wasn't happy with completely disconnecting it. We spent the rest of the ride with a gentle rubbing noise coming from the back. We tried to ignore it.    :'(

I was mildly reprimanded for not having printed out this year's route sheet, so it didn't match the GPS track. But, as we battled the headwind and lumpy terrain approaching Bratton, my earlier brevet card blunder became a bit of a sore point. Grr, we'd be at the cafe by now if we'd left on time! I imagine the wind in my ears prevented me from hearing the worst of Erica's insults. It was the lowest and toughest point for both of us, but after a good rest and eat in Bratton we were feeling a LOT better and happier. The return to Hungerford was lovely riding, probably mostly because of the long views and tailwind, so we could actually chat a bit. We missed a turn in Burbage due to enjoying the conversation too much. The blonde lady in pink who we yo-yo'd with got ahead of us again, but no big deal.

Back in Hungerford a bit ahead of our 20kph estimate, but service was slow and we left a little after the 5pm we'd planned. A bit more clothing and lights on, ready for the hills. It was a lumpy section, but somehow we didn't feel as wreaked as earlier. We passed Wobbly around Winterbourne and enjoyed several speedy descents, especially into Bradfield. The Hope Vision 1 was pretty good, but at speed I was still worried about hitting unexpected potholes with two missing spokes in the rear. The final flat bit was much appreciated. We were getting a bit cold, but didn't really want to stop so near the end.

As we approached Grazeley Erica's gloved struggles with the satnav buttons finally caused her to emit a loud expletive. Unfortunately at that moment a group of earlier finishers rode past calling a friendly "Well done". We must've seemed very unfriendly. Sorry about that! :-[ Then we too missed the final turn. Not to worry, we'd made it, and with just enough time to drive back to the pub at Winterbourne for a much-appreciated meal.

Many thanks to the organisers and helpers for making everything else go so smoothly!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #124 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:06:38 am »
It is very satisfying being the controller at the end of a ride that was clearly as good as yesterday's, with lots of positive comments from the returning riders.  It was particularly good to hear a number of first-timers commenting how much they'd enjoyed it.