Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3011810 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
<fx:slips on anorak>

The geographical number was a grouping of telephone exchanges connected to a Group Switching Centre and wherever possible the number selected for that Group mapped to a three letter code with some geographical relevance. For example, when I lived in Yorkshire the Group covered Otley, Ilkley, Burley in Wharfedale and Guisley (the GSC was actually Guisley) and the number was 0943 WHA for Wharfedale. Where I am now in Woodbridge, the number was 0394 FX4 with the GSC being in Felixstowe.

London, and the six biggest conurbations were ‘director’ areas, a register translator cleverness of Strowger which was a little outside my education (the Leeds/Bradford conurbation was planned as the next director area but technology evolved faster than implementation). Theyre organised in units rather than exchanges, but as the used translators, they could use any three digits to align with geographic code mappings. What it came down to in the end, especially in London, was availability of mappings. This means that some geographic mappings might be a little more abstract than others. I assume that high rent areas got the call on more direct mappings with lower rental areas becoming more and more abstract the further down the list the were.

<fx: removes anorak and slopes of back into corner>
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

The geographical number was a grouping of telephone exchanges connected to a Group Switching Centre and wherever possible the number selected for that Group mapped to a three letter code with some geographical relevance. For example, when I lived in Yorkshire the Group covered Otley, Ilkley, Burley in Wharfedale and Guisley (the GSC was actually Guisley) and the number was 0943 WHA for Wharfedale. Where I am now in Woodbridge, the number was 0394 FX4 with the GSC being in Felixstowe.

London, and the six biggest conurbations were ‘director’ areas, a register translator cleverness of Strowger which was a little outside my education (the Leeds/Bradford conurbation was planned as the next director area but technology evolved faster than implementation). Theyre organised in units rather than exchanges, but as the used translators, they could use any three digits to align with geographic code mappings. What it came down to in the end, especially in London, was availability of mappings. This means that some geographic mappings might be a little more abstract than others. I assume that high rent areas got the call on more direct mappings with lower rental areas becoming more and more abstract the further down the list the were.

How I wish I could understand (just some of) that.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Thanks Beardy, I think I understood that :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Google Books, having discerned my penchant for SF, is trying to entice me with announcements such as "NEW from H.G. Wells".

Meanwhile Kindle, after I had downloaded "A Reading of the Yoshida Testimony" about the Fukushima emergency, asked me if I wanted help with the hard words.

It's a telephone-addled world.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Rightmove really needs a "safe for cats" filter.

I have become quite good at spotting which houses are on main roads without even looking at Street View.  They are 20-25% cheaper, all other things being equal.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

How I wish I could understand (just some of) that.

Tom Scott wanted to rant about it until the logic of the system pulled him up short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsxRaFNropw (the opening is NSFW)

Beardy

• Shedist
He’s mostly right with that, although he missed a bit about the technological reason why the big conurbations have three numbers and ho that relates to the 7 digit local numbers.

With the advent of STD (he miss out a whole lot of stuffs between operator control and STD, but that’s way beyond the scope of this reply*) National telephone numbers were standardised on 9 digits (ignoring the initial 0). Director technology, as implemented by Post Office Telephones, used 10000 ‘mult’ units giving 4 digit numbers, and 3 digit unit codes. This left 2 digits for the area/city codes. THAT London was of course a special case with an 8 digit number. So these areas had 7 digit local codes and and a 2 digit area/city code (9 digits in total)

Other cities/areas generally had 6 digit numbers and 3 digit area/city codes mapped to some geographical three letter code that made some sort of sense (9 digits in total)

Remember, this was the STD model plan. Those of you who are old enough will remember 3,4 and 5 digit local numbers with a perfusion of local dialing codes of various length. These were near.y always technology lead and based on the demand for a) the number of phones on an exchange, and b) the number of calls on routes between exchanges. All this had to be morphed into the 6 digit local number model which also did away with the need for a lot of the local dialing codes.

The digit 9 was nearly always the number used for the Main Switching Centre your GSC was parented on because this would most likely be the location of the emergency switchboard and it made 999 call routing a LOT easier. Director areas didn’t have GSC/ MSC  architecture as they were register/translator controlled.

The Trunk Network (that’s the national intercity network) was also register/translator controlled, which allowed the STD model to exist. And then there was something called the Transit Network which overlaid the Trunk Network to allow faster switching times for busy routes. Again, way beyond the scope of this post.

Over time Ofcom have followed the models set up by the Post Office in removing ALL local dialing codes and educating the public to use national numbers by default. It’s also interesting to note that most of the number expansions that Tom Scott mentions in his video were foreseen by and planned for by the Post Office Telephone planners way back when and that’s why the original STD model easily accommodates those changes.

Please remember I spent five years learning this stuff on day release and training courses and a further ten immersed in the environment while most of the changes were being made. And it was 30 years ago since I moved out of telephones and more towards IT. It’s difficult to try and condense this stuff into short posts, let alone remember all the fine detail  :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
In otter news, my bus pass arrived this week

🚌

That's you out of the house by half nine every morning then.

Another bloody twirlie….
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Another bloody twirlie….
Group of oldies at the bus stop at 9.25.
"Are we too early?"
Bus driver, "You know you are."

Just thought I'd explain 'Twirlie' to those who didn't get it.

Here in Wales, there are no time restrictions, so I can happily overcrowd the commute time busses. 😀
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Here in EnglandLand Bus Passes arrive much later.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Another bloody twirlie….
Group of oldies at the bus stop at 9.25.
"Are we too early?"
Bus driver, "You know you are."

Just thought I'd explain 'Twirlie' to those who didn't get it.

Here in Wales, there are no time restrictions, so I can happily overcrowd the commute time busses. 😀

Ah, I didn't get it  :)

I'm unaware of time restrictions up here.

In the Peoples Republic of Scouseland you get free public transport (after 09:30) from age 60.  For the next 10 months a £6 per day Saveaway ticket covers the same area.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
After 09:00 weekdays and all day on weekends and bank holibobs with the TfL one.  I shall use it vigorously on Thurday to go to Twickenham (and back, if I'm lucky).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The only buses through here are the ones that take the kids to & from school.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Here in EnglandLand Bus Passes arrive much later.

Then several, all at once?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

He’s mostly right with that, although he missed a bit about the technological reason why the big conurbations have three numbers and ho that relates to the 7 digit local numbers.

With the advent of STD (he miss out a whole lot of stuffs between operator control and STD, but that’s way beyond the scope of this reply*) National telephone numbers were standardised on 9 digits (ignoring the initial 0). Director technology, as implemented by Post Office Telephones, used 10000 ‘mult’ units giving 4 digit numbers, and 3 digit unit codes. This left 2 digits for the area/city codes. THAT London was of course a special case with an 8 digit number. So these areas had 7 digit local codes and and a 2 digit area/city code (9 digits in total)

Other cities/areas generally had 6 digit numbers and 3 digit area/city codes mapped to some geographical three letter code that made some sort of sense (9 digits in total)

Remember, this was the STD model plan. Those of you who are old enough will remember 3,4 and 5 digit local numbers with a perfusion of local dialing codes of various length. These were near.y always technology lead and based on the demand for a) the number of phones on an exchange, and b) the number of calls on routes between exchanges. All this had to be morphed into the 6 digit local number model which also did away with the need for a lot of the local dialing codes.

The digit 9 was nearly always the number used for the Main Switching Centre your GSC was parented on because this would most likely be the location of the emergency switchboard and it made 999 call routing a LOT easier. Director areas didn’t have GSC/ MSC  architecture as they were register/translator controlled.

The Trunk Network (that’s the national intercity network) was also register/translator controlled, which allowed the STD model to exist. And then there was something called the Transit Network which overlaid the Trunk Network to allow faster switching times for busy routes. Again, way beyond the scope of this post.

Over time Ofcom have followed the models set up by the Post Office in removing ALL local dialing codes and educating the public to use national numbers by default. It’s also interesting to note that most of the number expansions that Tom Scott mentions in his video were foreseen by and planned for by the Post Office Telephone planners way back when and that’s why the original STD model easily accommodates those changes.

Please remember I spent five years learning this stuff on day release and training courses and a further ten immersed in the environment while most of the changes were being made. And it was 30 years ago since I moved out of telephones and more towards IT. It’s difficult to try and condense this stuff into short posts, let alone remember all the fine detail  :)

Ah, I remember the days of the manual exchange. Lift the handset, crank the handle and the bell rang in the local store. If it was a local (3 digit) number, they plugged you in, with a cable on a board (there were lots of shared connections, so people would listen in on neighbour's conversations). If it was long distance, you were transferred to an operator in a more modern exchange, who would hopefully hear the phone number correctly and transfer you.

Phoning someone in England (from Australia) entailed booking the call ahead of time. For popular days like Christmas and New Year, we'd cluster around the handset, straining to hear a scratchy voice from the other side of the world (once the operator made the connection).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Booking an operator call from a normal phone, but quoting the number of a phone box used to be the #1 way of doing free calls (for those who couldn't tap it out on the handset rest), only stopped when they put beeps on the line to ID a call box

Beardy

• Shedist
Phreking used to be a thing when local codes existed. The idea was to string local codes together to travers the network on junction* routes  and thus avoid paying long distance call charges. However, the technology was against such an approach being more than a game because the junction routes weren’t intended for long distances and were thus unamplified.  The audio quality dropped off very quickly. There was also the problem of the dial pulse quality dropping off because no pulse regeneration existed on the junction routes.

*The network was roughly split into Trunk network and Junction network. The junction network was the connections between exchanges and GSC, and GSC to MSC. The trunk network was the inta MSC network. I say roughly, because although the network was hierarchical, connections would exist between exchanges or GSC if traffic levels required it. Other than the Transit network, exchanges were not fully interconnected, even at intraMSC level because the cost was prohibitive. Traffic planning was a complex business, and variable call charging was only the first line of defence in managing network usage.

Blimey, this sub thread is really dredging the depths of my memories.  I’m quite enjoying the journey (if you hadn’t guessed ;D)

Pat Nevin: you are the exception that proves the rule. You are the perfect pundit; insightful, clear and eloquent in equal measure. Whatever Radio 5Live are paying you, it's not enough. In utter contrast, try listening to Chris Sutton...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
mmm, not a product that I would buy: hot chili sauce, Ghana's Choice, 'tis claimed, Shito. Cause or effect?
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Pat Nevin: you are the exception that proves the rule. You are the perfect pundit; insightful, clear and eloquent in equal measure. Whatever Radio 5Live are paying you, it's not enough. In utter contrast, try listening to Chris Sutton...

I'm not always a fan of Pat Nevin but he was good tonight, I agree.

I can't listen to Chris Sutton for more than a minute without wanting to throw things at the radio.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mmm, not a product that I would buy: hot chili sauce, Ghana's Choice, 'tis claimed, Shito. Cause or effect?

Omnomnominative determinism?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Guardian quick crossword, 8 across. I'm sure the compiler must be a forumite, it's not the the first time.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.