Author Topic: Help me fit two bottles and a pump  (Read 2568 times)

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
Help me fit two bottles and a pump
« on: 27 September, 2020, 07:08:06 pm »
Currently a Topeak Morph pump occupies the downtube bottle cage bosses on my Orro Terra C.  (I use a converter to fit its Shrader head to presta valves.)   The bike has an Alpkit bar bag and an Ortlieb saddlebag.  Its frame is carbon fibre, but stem, handlebars, and seatpost are aluminium.

I'd like suggestions for how to carry two bottles in addition to a pump.   My thoughts are:

Attach current pump to bar bag or saddlebag - how?
Attach current pump below handlebar tops behind the bar bag - how?
Buy a different pump which can be attached in a different way?  The pump would need to be capable of inflating 700c 32mm tyres with presta tubes (I like the folding foot on the Topeak).
Retain pump in existing position and attach the 2nd bottle elsewhere - how?

I'm not familiar with the options available to me and hope that the YACF collective can help.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Help me fit two bottles and a pump
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:16:51 pm »
Isn't there a flavour of bracket that holds the pump off to the side, which sandwiches between the bottle cage and the bosses?  Possibly not for the Road Morph.

Alternatively, I'm reasonably sure there's one for the Road Morph that attaches to an arbitrary bit of frame with cable ties (I know this because I've got one attached to one of the rear rack stays on my tourer), that could perhaps be fitted to the underside of the top-tube?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:20:54 pm »
No way of attaching a bottle cage under the down tube, as many tourers do?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:23:03 pm »
Attach the pump to the top tube? Something like the Zefal Doodad should work. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOZEDPC/zefal-doodad-pump-clip---pair

Or get a smaller pump, that fits inside your bag. The Topeak Race Rocket is quite nice. Yes, it would take a bit more effort to inflate the tyre than the Morph does. But how often do you get punctures?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:25:54 pm »
https://www.todson.com/products/wb-bracket-for-rd-morph-peak-dx-mt-rock-harp-mini-tpd is the obvious answer.

The existing bracket can be ziptied to the side of the seat tube or down tube as an alternative. The original bracket is slotted specifically to do that.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:42:15 pm »
My favorite pump is the Topeak Mini Morph: the clamp fits under a bidon holder. It has all the features of the Topeak Morph, just slightly smaller.  I've had no issues inflating tyres up to 35mm to the correct pressures with the Mini Morph.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:52:52 pm »
https://www.todson.com/products/wb-bracket-for-rd-morph-peak-dx-mt-rock-harp-mini-tpd is the obvious answer.

That's the badger.

I have one of those very badgers attached to my bike, but I generally put my Road Morph in my saddle bag. This is because I haven't been arsed to replace the purpose-built velcro strap, which broke quite a few years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2020, 08:45:41 pm »
I have one of those very badgers attached to my bike, but I generally put my Road Morph in my saddle bag. This is because I haven't been arsed to replace the purpose-built velcro strap, which broke quite a few years ago.

Velcro cable tie should do it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/281661067966

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2020, 10:34:10 pm »
Currently a Topeak Morph pump occupies the downtube bottle cage bosses on my Orro Terra C.  (I use a converter to fit its Shrader head to presta valves.)   The bike has an Alpkit bar bag and an Ortlieb saddlebag.  Its frame is carbon fibre, but stem, handlebars, and seatpost are aluminium.

I'd like suggestions for how to carry two bottles in addition to a pump.   My thoughts are:

Buy a different pump which can be attached in a different way?  The pump would need to be capable of inflating 700c 32mm tyres with presta tubes (I like the folding foot on the Topeak).
Retain pump in existing position and attach the 2nd bottle elsewhere - how?

I'm not familiar with the options available to me and hope that the YACF collective can help.

BRAD Half bottle adaptor would do it:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/accessories/products/b-rad-half-bottle-adapter?variant=42457607365

I've used these for mounting bottles + blackburn cages to my forks. Works well.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #10 on: 27 September, 2020, 11:02:28 pm »
I've got my Road Morph bracket zip tied alongside a bottle cage on the down tube. It works, but more often than not the pump actually travels in a rack bag or pannier for cleanliness or security reasons.

[Does the pump definitely not do Presta? Can you not unscrew the face of the head and turn the rubber nubbin around?]

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2020, 12:03:41 am »
I've got my Road Morph bracket zip tied alongside a bottle cage on the down tube. It works, but more often than not the pump actually travels in a rack bag or pannier for cleanliness or security reasons.

[Does the pump definitely not do Presta? Can you not unscrew the face of the head and turn the rubber nubbin around?]
My Road Morph certainly does. Turn both the valve gripping washer and the central doo-dad. In schraeder mode its point is outwards. For presta that needs to be pointing pumpwards.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2020, 07:17:55 am »

That's the badger.

Many years ago I discovered that the Blackburn Air Stick (the original) had an almost identical bracket and I used it for a Road Morphe.   I even bought up a few failing AirSticks just for the brackets which adorned the various bikes in the fleet.

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:20:51 am »

Sew straps to the bags.

Decathlon do a rubber bottle carrier that self straps around the tube and provides two 5mm bolt holes.
Don't bother with the Two Fish velcro strapped bottle cage. They come undone unexpectedly.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:27:52 am »
Isn't there a flavour of bracket that holds the pump off to the side, which sandwiches between the bottle cage and the bosses?  Possibly not for the Road Morph.

Alternatively, I'm reasonably sure there's one for the Road Morph that attaches to an arbitrary bit of frame with cable ties (I know this because I've got one attached to one of the rear rack stays on my tourer), that could perhaps be fitted to the underside of the top-tube?

I use both of these options for my Road Morph on different bikes.

The "off to the side" bracket I use is one from an older Blackburn mini-pump.  The other bike has the original Road Morph bracket on the underside of the top tube.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2020, 09:58:31 am »
I've got an identical looking pump mounted on the side of my bottle cage, using one of those "off to the side" brackets.  You just have to be very careful about the orientation of the flexible hose to avoid the crank arm hitting it.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #16 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:42:30 am »
I have a road morph which I attach to the front of my seat stay. 

Two cable ties for the bracket, a loop of velcro for the bottom, to keep it resting on the chain stay and another cable tie at the top looped over to keep it straight.  Ridden thousands of miles with it like that with no issues.

Other than the pump, that is.  I no longer use it because I have had two of them dry up and be unusable when I've needed them.   

« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2020, 09:04:58 pm »
On my bikes, which inclues one with a CF frame, I use a Zeal HPX frame pump fitted under the top tube.

Carefully measure to choose the right size HPX - 3 sizes available
Business end of pump has shaped fittings to fit top tube/seat tube angle
I use a cable tie around the head tube providing a nib for the recess in the pump handle
A Zeefal DooDa strap the provides extra security.

It's a reasonably tidy solution & If you do need to inflate a tyre at the roadside you really can't beat a full size pump, I think it's  been used more on clubmates bikes than it has on my own.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #18 on: 13 October, 2020, 02:44:27 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  They gave me a really good range of options, including a use for the bracket I'd saved from a deceased Blackburn AirStick (my first pump in the Brymbo New Cycling Era).

Thanks for that.  It's actually a Mountain Morph which I've previously used on the commuter/family ride BSO.  My somewhat ossified brane associated it with Schrader values, which it's only ever been used on.

The existing bracket can be ziptied to the side of the seat tube or down tube as an alternative. The original bracket is slotted specifically to do that.
Is the winner.  I don't know how I overlooked this.  I think I may have zip-tied the bracket to the Tifosi's top-tube before I bought the frame-fit pump  :facepalm:

On my bikes, which inclues one with a CF frame, I use a Zeal HPX frame pump fitted under the top tube.
It's a reasonably tidy solution & If you do need to inflate a tyre at the roadside you really can't beat a full size pump, I think it's  been used more on clubmates bikes than it has on my own.
I have a Topeak Master Blaster Road frame pump on my Tifosi CK7 audax bike (see https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=54789.msg2547400#msg2547400) and really like it (as do clubmates, like you say).  However, I think the radiused angles of the Orro would mean that it would not sit snugly under the top-tube.  Also, I'm a bit wary of sticking or clamping anything to a carbon fibre frame (this is my first).

Which brings me to the solution.  Cable ties around the top-tube where the carbon fibre has been protected by old mountain bike inner tube wrapped in insulating tape.  Time will tell if it migrates towards the seatpost, at the thinner end of the top-tube.

The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #19 on: 14 October, 2020, 01:20:23 pm »
It's actually a Mountain Morph which I've previously used on the commuter/family ride BSO.
Is the winner.  I don't know how I overlooked this.  I think I may have zip-tied the bracket to the Tifosi's top-tube before I bought the frame-fit pump  :facepalm:
Should you revisit this, note that the bracket fits a Road Morph. A Mountain Morph will be fatter and won't fit.

« Reply #20 on: 14 October, 2020, 03:36:26 pm »
The "off to the side" bracket I use is one from an older Blackburn mini-pump.  The other bike has the original Road Morph bracket on the underside of the top tube.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/blackburn-airstik-2stage-clip-strap/