Author Topic: Trunk Bags.  (Read 5314 times)

Re: Trunk Bags.
« Reply #25 on: 06 October, 2020, 12:51:01 pm »
We use an Arkel on the tandem and I think it's the only velcro attached bag I've had that didn't destroy my shorts.
I can see how velcro destroys fabric (the velcro closure on my winter boots eats through the ankles of all my favourite woolly socks  :( ) but I'm puzzled as to how something on a rack gets at your shorts. Or is it on one of those seatpost cantilevered racks?
It's a function of short fat legs and a small frame. The saddle is barely higher than the bag so my thighs catch on the velcro.

« Reply #26 on: 06 October, 2020, 01:04:24 pm »
I'm looking at the Tailfin stuff but even aside from HOW MUCH??!!?? it looks like they have roll-top closures which I don't really like for something I'm in and out of at every stop. I'll put up with it for £30 but not if I'm paying out £300.

I agree re roll top.
The other issue with Tailfin is that, while it works well for tall riders, I think my saddle is too low to be able to open it properly.
I was thinking of buying one to investigate as there is a lot I like about the idea, but Chris White ridefar.info bought one and did a comprehensive review, so I don't have to.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #27 on: 06 October, 2020, 01:13:49 pm »
https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/rack-packs-stuff-sacks/carradura-rack-bag

Just bought one of these to replace my existing one, that is prob 15years old, and the main zip had retired to pastures new. I e-mailed Carradice for a price to repair, and it would have been £20 posted, BUT, says he, ''we have some new, 'slight seconds' for £20 + £3 p+p, and they come with a waterproof cover.  :thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 06 October, 2020, 01:46:26 pm »
I'm looking at the Tailfin stuff but even aside from HOW MUCH??!!?? it looks like they have roll-top closures which I don't really like for something I'm in and out of at every stop. I'll put up with it for £30 but not if I'm paying out £300.

The aluminium version is a bit less expensive at ~€200. A tubus ali rack is between €80-100 it seems, so the bag itself is only about €100 of it. effectively. Obviously if you already have the rack, it's not cost to worry about. The tailfin bags do have a zip down one side that allows direct entry to the bag, for some stuff, as well as the pocket on the other side.

My bigger gripe is that the aluminium bar that attaches the bag to the seat post, by default is short and designed for riders of larger bikes, meaning that anyone who rides a smaller bike has to pay the extra €25 for the extended piece, making it effectively a 10% extra charge if you're shorter than most men, or say, an average woman.

I have emailed them about this and they have been kind enough for me to swap the extension piece in the box, so that mine comes with the longer one by default, at no extra charge, but it was several emails of exchange. They have been lovely to deal with, but I shouldn't need to. But hopefully they will realise this and offer the option at check out of small or large connecting bar. So that there's no longer a tax on short people... It's 2020, we shouldn't have to point these things out.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #29 on: 06 October, 2020, 01:52:15 pm »

I agree re roll top.
The other issue with Tailfin is that, while it works well for tall riders, I think my saddle is too low to be able to open it properly.
I was thinking of buying one to investigate as there is a lot I like about the idea, but Chris White ridefar.info bought one and did a comprehensive review, so I don't have to.

They make an extender whatsit that makes it fit better with smaller frames. I'll let you know when mine arrives how effective it is. The latest version of the S ali frame also has 3 bottle mounts on it, which is what finally convinced me to try it. As it combines an antiswap bottle holder, and a saddle bag, all in one.

My gripe, as mentioned above, is that shorter riders have to pay extra for it to fit.

J
--

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #30 on: 06 October, 2020, 02:19:35 pm »
i've asked them if they are planning to make a version for road bikes (rather than one-kinda-fits-all), they said not, so i stopped being interested..

« Reply #31 on: 06 October, 2020, 02:27:20 pm »
Chris White ridefar.info bought one and did a comprehensive review,

Thanks, that is indeed very thorough & helpful.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 06 October, 2020, 02:36:27 pm »
i've asked them if they are planning to make a version for road bikes (rather than one-kinda-fits-all), they said not, so i stopped being interested..

What would they change to make it road specific?

J
--

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #33 on: 06 October, 2020, 02:45:51 pm »

J

primarily change the shape of it from the arch of mcdonalds to the one that matches the shape of seatstays, as well as other minor improvements (rear light attachment etc.)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #34 on: 06 October, 2020, 02:59:16 pm »

primarily change the shape of it from the arch of mcdonalds to the one that matches the shape of seatstays, as well as other minor improvements (rear light attachment etc.)

That kinda makes sense. They do do 2 different light attachments. One that takes a standard 50/80mm spaced light bracket, and one that pretends to be a seat stay. But both cost extra...

J
--

« Reply #35 on: 06 October, 2020, 04:07:37 pm »

I agree re roll top.

They make an extender whatsit that makes it fit better with smaller frames. I'll let you know when mine arrives how effective it is. The latest version of the S ali frame also has 3 bottle mounts on it, which is what finally convinced me to try it. As it combines an antiswap bottle holder, and a saddle bag, all in one.

My gripe, as mentioned above, is that shorter riders have to pay extra for it to fit.

J

Interesting. 

Chris has done some hack on his to extend it.  And he's worked out how to fit a better bag, with zips, on instead of their roll-top one (apparently the side zip doesn't really work well for access).  But it's an expensive piece of kit to buy if you then have to mess around with it for usability, and fitting another bag on it doesn't look like it would be that easy.

Good that they have at least recognised the problem of saddle clearance and come up with an extender.

Surprising that lights were only an afterthought.  Really should be a core part of it.

« Reply #36 on: 06 October, 2020, 04:26:05 pm »
Just had a look at Tailfin (beats working!).

I see that they do sell their rack separately from the bag, which might be interesting.  £79 so not too bad.  And I hadn't realised that the top of their rack was reasonably wide so it would be possible to fit other bags on it. 

But their extender and their light mounts only work with their bag, not the rack, so it may be too short (hence why Chris W needed to bodge) and would need to rig up a light mount somehow = not cool.  And more bodging would be required to fit another rack pack.  Maybe velcro would work along with a bit of estate agent's sign.

I like the rack, but there are a lot of unknowns to get it to work.

« Reply #37 on: 06 October, 2020, 04:29:33 pm »

J

Interesting.  What I like about the arch looks like it should be reasonably aero.  But I agree, it is bigger than it need be for my use. 
I did have the idea the other day that I might be able to make a version using an old carbon fork.  The hard bit would be fitting the platform at the top so that it was stable.   And you don't see carbon forks in skips every day either!

EDIT - and the spacing would be wrong, so daft idea!

rob

« Reply #38 on: 06 October, 2020, 04:36:01 pm »

I see that they do sell their rack separately from the bag, which might be interesting.  £79 so not too bad.  And I hadn't realised that the top of their rack was reasonably wide so it would be possible to fit other bags on it. 

But their extender and their light mounts only work with their bag, not the rack, so it may be too short (hence why Chris W needed to bodge) and would need to rig up a light mount somehow = not cool.  And more bodging would be required to fit another rack pack.  Maybe velcro would work along with a bit of estate agent's sign.

I'm not sure if it's adjustable but the rack looked quite tall.  Given I have a small frame I was thinking that it might stick the bag up in the air and make the bike a bit top heavy.

« Reply #39 on: 06 October, 2020, 04:49:44 pm »

I'm not sure if it's adjustable but the rack looked quite tall.  Given I have a small frame I was thinking that it might stick the bag up in the air and make the bike a bit top heavy.
It does throw the bag up at the back compared to the front. Replicating the 'bikepacking bag' look. All the reviews say it's rock solid.

I'm thinking close, but no cigar for me.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: 06 October, 2020, 05:02:12 pm »
Interesting. 

Chris has done some hack on his to extend it.  And he's worked out how to fit a better bag, with zips, on instead of their roll-top one (apparently the side zip doesn't really work well for access).  But it's an expensive piece of kit to buy if you then have to mess around with it for usability, and fitting another bag on it doesn't look like it would be that easy.

Good that they have at least recognised the problem of saddle clearance and come up with an extender.

Surprising that lights were only an afterthought.  Really should be a core part of it.

Yep, Chris has the original rack + bag. They now make that, plus they make a rack, plus they make a bag with integrated rack.

The original bag design has space for lights, in the form of a ladder thingy on the back to attach lights to. Two of them infact. *BUT* most German approved lights have to be physically attached to the bike, and so don't have a belt clip for This, hence the after market add ons.

Agreed. That's why I went for the bag/rack all in one combo. In ali. Along with the rack mount for the light, just if I feel like going that route. I also have a pair of cateye omni 3 lights, that I intend to fit vertically to the fin.

It is not adjustable on the height stakes. Apart from anything else, a 700c wheel is still a 700c wheel, even on a small frame...

It does throw the bag up at the back compared to the front. Replicating the 'bikepacking bag' look. All the reviews say it's rock solid.

I'm thinking close, but no cigar for me.

Lots of riders were using it on RatN, Including 2 of the women.

Given how badly most luggage that isn't based around a rack goes, for women riders, it's hardly a surprise.

Taking the original Tubus Logo rack as a base point, it's 800g before you add a bag, the tailfin is about 900g all up. Yes the weight may be a little higher than something bungee'd tight to a metal rack, but in reality, I am not sure I'd notice it. You can always pack the heaviest item closest to the front at the bottom.

I'll post a proper review when mine has arrived.

J
--

« Reply #41 on: 06 October, 2020, 05:24:31 pm »

The only adjustment that I can see is that if you have the extender, it would go a bit lower at the back as the rear hoop would slope more. 

I don't think it's a bad thing if it's a bit high though, as more aero if it is behind your upper thighs / arse than narrower bits further down. 

« Reply #42 on: 06 October, 2020, 05:30:48 pm »
Just read Chris's review on RideFar again and seems to me that the tailfin is ideally suited (as he mentions) to lighter racy bikes without eyelets and braze ons. It opens up possibilities for machines that were in a spot of bother beforehand. Thats great.
Im firmly in the mud guard camp with plenty of braze on attachment points and not a particular disciple of weight saving for ultras & touring however.
I have already been eyeballing that fist size space behind the seat post and in front of the  trunkbag as a potential spot to lash a spare tire. (650b)

Another revelation on a ride yesterday was the first time using fork mounted bottle cages. Its so easy to reach and grab a drink without taking your eyes off the road. The aero brigade won't approve, but with a rando box at the front, the spare bottle cages on the forks and a  decent trunk bag at the rear I can get rid of the fiddly feedbags strapped to the handle bars and the top tube frame bags.
often lost.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #43 on: 06 October, 2020, 05:54:06 pm »
from aero pov, the best would be to wear a bag as part/extension of a jersey, similar shape to a wasp tail, with a "shelf" behind the saddle for it to rest on. apart from looking silly, it's not a practical solution for many other reasons. ;D

one of the sketches i referred to is a bag shaped like a bambino tt helmet, with some added height and dimensions multiplied by ~1.5. carbon - yes, but would there be another suitable material to make it from?
second best option would be a similar shape made out of ortlieb type fabric (is there a generic name for it?).

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #44 on: 06 October, 2020, 06:36:15 pm »
Just it failed the next time I used it going from Ealing to High Wycombe!  Admittedly there are more potholes on the A40 than in Australia so maybe that figures.
I experienced a catastrophic failure of a pair of Arkel Dry-Lite panniers on the A40 (though it was near Glocester, not High Wycombe). Did we find the ultimate torture test for bicycle parts? Riding the A40 end-to-end?

Arkel Tailrider actually looks nice and convenient, though I wonder (based on experience with the Dry-Lites) whether it really has the stated 8/11 liter capacity?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 06 October, 2020, 09:13:35 pm »
We use an Arkel on the tandem and I think it's the only velcro attached bag I've had that didn't destroy my shorts.
I can see how velcro destroys fabric (the velcro closure on my winter boots eats through the ankles of all my favourite woolly socks  :( ) but I'm puzzled as to how something on a rack gets at your shorts. Or is it on one of those seatpost cantilevered racks?
It's a function of short fat legs and a small frame. The saddle is barely higher than the bag so my thighs catch on the velcro.
I feel compelled to add that my hair catches on the velcro. Mind you, it gets into everything else, too, so that probably doesn't mean much.

« Reply #46 on: 06 October, 2020, 09:20:44 pm »
Just it failed the next time I used it going from Ealing to High Wycombe!  Admittedly there are more potholes on the A40 than in Australia so maybe that figures.
I experienced a catastrophic failure of a pair of Arkel Dry-Lite panniers on the A40 (though it was near Glocester, not High Wycombe). Did we find the ultimate torture test for bicycle parts? Riding the A40 end-to-end?

Arkel Tailrider actually looks nice and convenient, though I wonder (based on experience with the Dry-Lites) whether it really has the stated 8/11 liter capacity?

I have an arkel.  Its tight for space. I only use it for day rides. image here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdcoWIsjkCd/
often lost.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 06 October, 2020, 09:25:39 pm »
Yeah, the Tailrider is lovely, but not really enough for winter layers you're not wearing.

« Reply #48 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:17:21 pm »
Yeah, the Tailrider is lovely, but not really enough for winter layers you're not wearing.

Its like the opposite of The Tardis.
Well constructed but you look in side and think.
"Is that it?"
often lost.

« Reply #49 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:31:14 pm »
My Tailrider is about a dozen years old and still going strong. All the seams and zips are still in good functional shape. The velcro attachments are original and still work fine, but if ever they don't, it would be an easy job for anyone with a sewing machine to replace the loops at least.

I see comments saying it's not very roomy. Maybe not as roomy as some, but you do know it expands a lot? Loosen the straps right off and I can get extra warms, tights, a fleece pullover, etc, along with the usual tools and tubes and such inside it no problem. Or if I need more space can easily strap the rain jacket to the top.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, the Tailrider and an Ortlieb bar bag have worked for me for a few tens of thousands kms of brevets.