Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476010 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2175 on: 07 May, 2018, 11:51:11 am »
GWS Daniel!
How old is he? One of my nephews had it at 8 months and was not much bothered.
14m.  He was in a really bad shape yesterday, struggling to keep his temperature under control.   Upped the Calpol to 6x daily on doctor's advice and he's quite a bit perkier this morning.  My very lovely friend Christine is looking after Andrew today, because my wife works Bank Holidays (it's a JCB thing) and otherwise I'd be stuck at home with both.
. His gentleman's area is like a warzone...   :'(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2176 on: 07 May, 2018, 02:02:10 pm »
Poor Daniel!
Get Well Soon!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2177 on: 09 May, 2018, 09:49:22 am »
Not sure this is quite a health and fitness thing, but why do the NHS, or some of their depts, insist on using "Private number" when they call you? Phone rang just as I was going out, fished it out of pocket, see "Private number" so ignore it. It goes off again immediately, so I decide to give them the benefit of the doubt – and it was about an appointment for my son. I realize they don't want people calling back on that number but surely it's easy to both block incoming calls and have the number display as something relevant (like "BRI outpatients" in this case)? Telecoms have been able to do this for 20 years or so.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2178 on: 09 May, 2018, 11:13:09 am »
Just back from ophthalmologist's with a dilated iris, looking forward to four or five hours of blindingly bright, fuzzy vision. Asked him why he couldn't reverse the dilation; he explained that to achieve it they paralyse the sphincter (not that one) and stimulate the dilator muscle. Reversing it with drops doesn't work worth a damn: paralysed is paralysed. Grin & bear it, and try not to walk into the wall.

Anyway, vitreous humour is now well away from the retina but nothing to worry about, and "ignore the flocks of birds and flashes and they won't bother you". And joy of joys, t'other eye is likely to do the same within a year.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2179 on: 09 May, 2018, 11:14:13 am »
Not sure this is quite a health and fitness thing, but why do the NHS, or some of their depts, insist on using "Private number" when they call you? Phone rang just as I was going out, fished it out of pocket, see "Private number" so ignore it. It goes off again immediately, so I decide to give them the benefit of the doubt – and it was about an appointment for my son. I realize they don't want people calling back on that number but surely it's easy to both block incoming calls and have the number display as something relevant (like "BRI outpatients" in this case)? Telecoms have been able to do this for 20 years or so.

It's about privacy- they don't want to advertise to other people that the GUM is calling you.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2180 on: 09 May, 2018, 11:34:58 am »
I think the privacy should be opt-in cos the calling from blocked causes all manner of issues.

And some NHS depts don't, the last time I had a spate of unwanted incoming calls (to the deaf person) there was a CLID which I was able to Google and link back to hospital so I could email them and say "Use email, like you've been told, eleventy times".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2181 on: 09 May, 2018, 12:33:31 pm »

It's about privacy- they don't want to advertise to other people that the GUM is calling you.

Exactly.

That and NHS trusts are large, bureaucratic organisations, which means you've got a good chance that their lowest-bidder outsourced telephony is set up in such a way that it couldn't present DID numbers for the relevant department if it wanted to.  While presenting the main hospital switchboard number would be useful for when you're deciding whether to answer the call, it would also cause the poor switchboard operator to be inundated with calls from confused people returning their missed calls.

MY GP's surgery has a workaround for this:  When you reject the call with withheld CID, they try again from their fax line, which does present CID.  Neatly solving the communication problem, if not the privacy one[1].

Of course, this could all be solved if the NHS were dragged kicking and screaming into the Century Of The Fruitbat and allowed to use email.  I'll gladly sign a disclaimer and give you my public key, just sign me up, for fuck's sake.  Fat chance.

As for opt-in, that's even worse.  Either you try to automate it, which means an NHS IT project (and we all know how those go), or you put some sort of flag in the patient notes and expect the person calling to withhold or present the number on a case-by-case basis.  Which clearly isn't going to work, because most hearing people when faced with a telephone number and some supplementary notes, will dial first and ask questions later.  It's impulsive, like there's an important part of their brain that's permanently set to "phone a friend" rather than reading or applying common sense.

[1] Pragmatically, they bombard me with sufficient routine asthma checkups and minor administrative cockups that anything contentious ought to be lost in the noise.  But, having been there, it's different when you live with your parents and want to access GUM/mental health support.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2182 on: 09 May, 2018, 02:10:39 pm »
I'm not quite sure how a phone number, rather than the content of the phone call, is a privacy issue. Unless you've given them your work number for instance, in which case you've clearly decided privacy isn't important.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2183 on: 09 May, 2018, 06:26:17 pm »
I'm not quite sure how a phone number, rather than the content of the phone call, is a privacy issue. Unless you've given them your work number for instance, in which case you've clearly decided privacy isn't important.

Because then you've got to explain to your mum[1] why the hospital are phoning.  Are you pregnant or on drugs or something?

Seems trivial to most of us, but it's enough to put vulnerable people off engaging with healthcare services.

[1] Other fearsome authority figures with no respect for their family members' autonomy are available.

« Reply #2184 on: 09 May, 2018, 06:42:51 pm »
Agree with Kim, but why does my local Renault garage hide its number when they phone me?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2185 on: 09 May, 2018, 06:58:49 pm »
Agree with Kim, but why does my local Renault garage hide its number when they phone me?

Might be the inability to present a DID thing.  Might be that they enjoy playing phone tag or something.

« Reply #2186 on: 09 May, 2018, 07:04:39 pm »
Just back from ophthalmologist's with a dilated iris, looking forward to four or five hours of blindingly bright, fuzzy vision. Asked him why he couldn't reverse the dilation; he explained that to achieve it they paralyse the sphincter (not that one) and stimulate the dilator muscle. Reversing it with drops doesn't work worth a damn: paralysed is paralysed. Grin & bear it, and try not to walk into the wall.

I hate it when I have to have the dilation drops.  Being extremely light sensitive already it causes me extreme discomfort for hours.  Last time I sat in the corner of the waiting room with a coat over my head for four hours.   :(

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2187 on: 09 May, 2018, 07:26:53 pm »

Because then you've got to explain to your mum[1] why the hospital are phoning.  Are you pregnant or on drugs or something?

Seems trivial to most of us, but it's enough to put vulnerable people off engaging with healthcare services.

[1] Other fearsome authority figures with no respect for their family members' autonomy are available.
Which reminds me, completely OT but here it is, that I saw a woman with a hi-viz tabard which had printed on the back: CAUTION - PREGNANT CYCLIST
Not sure whether this was a plea, "Do take extra care and be extra nice because I'm cycling for two" kind of thing, or maybe a warning, "Do take extra care and be extra nice because otherwise I'll bite your legs off."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2188 on: 09 May, 2018, 07:57:06 pm »
Which reminds me, completely OT but here it is, that I saw a woman with a hi-viz tabard which had printed on the back: CAUTION - PREGNANT CYCLIST
Not sure whether this was a plea, "Do take extra care and be extra nice because I'm cycling for two" kind of thing, or maybe a warning, "Do take extra care and be extra nice because otherwise I'll bite your legs off."

Sounds like just the thing for blagging access to random loos.  I think we should have a forum challenge for the first beardy gentleman cyclist of the aerobelly persuasion to be photographed cycling in one.

On a similar note, I was never quite sure what to make of "DANGER: GOLFERS" signs.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2189 on: 09 May, 2018, 08:09:26 pm »
On a similar note, I was never quite sure what to make of "DANGER: GOLFERS" signs.
Illiterate, innit? Everyone knows it's "Golfists"!

« Reply #2190 on: 09 May, 2018, 09:34:54 pm »
It's possible to mow a small lawn 8 days after a hip replacement*. I kept on thinking of the
mower as a zimmer frame to aid my walking; so ended up accomplishing two jobs with one
action.

Still can't walk unaided at the moment; whilst next door neighbour has volunteered to mow my lawn
once a fortnight (just to stop it from having that overgrown look).

*Not recommended, as there's the cleaning of the mower, oiling the blades,sweeping up and
binning the cut grass to consider too.

barakta

« Reply #2191 on: 09 May, 2018, 09:38:04 pm »
 :o

I'd take up your neighbour's kind offer! :)

Hope you are otherwise healing well.

« Reply #2192 on: 10 May, 2018, 09:50:23 am »
:jurek:

I'd take up your neighbour's kind offer! :-)

Don't worry, I have. I just didn't want to be a burden on anyone. Mind you, it's amazing what you can do
when you put your mind to it.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2193 on: 10 May, 2018, 12:58:34 pm »
They're not calling on a direct line; the call is routed through a switchboard and they've pressed 9 for an outside line, so the caller display doesn't have anything to show.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

barakta

« Reply #2194 on: 10 May, 2018, 01:06:23 pm »
:jurek:

I'd take up your neighbour's kind offer! :-)

Don't worry, I have. I just didn't want to be a burden on anyone. Mind you, it's amazing what you can do
when you put your mind to it.

Hard to find that balance between can-do and having to sheepishly have to return to doc with "I broke it, sorry" (BTDT with ortho stuff).

I figure with the neighbour you can pay it back or forward. It's only our society which makes us see needing assistance after major surgery as a "burden". Many other societies would call it community and kindness :)

« Reply #2195 on: 11 May, 2018, 02:27:04 pm »
This afternoon I shall be shopping for a walking stick. My hip has become sufficiently sore to drive me back to the Co-codamol and I am trying to maintain the consumption such that my bowels continue to function (personally <120mg codine/day). Unfortunately I am already there for today and given the 30/500 tablets can double this in a day which is ok occasionally but not after day 3.

All I can say is role on june when I will see the consultant.

barakta

« Reply #2196 on: 14 May, 2018, 11:13:45 am »
Ouch. Any chance of NSAIDs doing anything for you in the meantime?  Or seeing if GP would give you something like tramadol instead?

I'm playing the equivalent game with a shoulder (and elbows and a wrist) and diclofenac with the opposite problem with bowel function.  >:(..

« Reply #2197 on: 14 May, 2018, 02:09:24 pm »
Normally when I'm riding I have my HRM on. Couldn't find it yesterday, so didn't.  I was somewhat surprised to see in the rest periods between my intervals that I could see my heart rate (something was blipping in rhythm round the end of my sternum)!  :o

« Reply #2198 on: 14 May, 2018, 04:26:52 pm »
Ouch. Any chance of NSAIDs doing anything for you in the meantime?  Or seeing if GP would give you something like tramadol instead?

I'm playing the equivalent game with a shoulder (and elbows and a wrist) and diclofenac with the opposite problem with bowel function.  >:(..

My problem is an allergy to Ibuprofen which means I have to be careful of NSAIDs. Though my recent back pain was aided Votarol which is diclofenac. My hip seems to be OK provided I am careful, though it does tend to mean lazy weekends with little activity to let it recover a bit.

I hope your shoulder issues are resolvable and soon.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2199 on: 18 May, 2018, 10:01:00 am »
It's possible to mow a small lawn 8 days after a hip replacement*. I kept on thinking of the
mower as a zimmer frame to aid my walking; so ended up accomplishing two jobs with one
action.

Still can't walk unaided at the moment; whilst next door neighbour has volunteered to mow my lawn
once a fortnight (just to stop it from having that overgrown look).

*Not recommended, as there's the cleaning of the mower, oiling the blades,sweeping up and
binning the cut grass to consider too.
Ouch! Good that you have a nice neighbour. Just don't do what my aunt did and fall down the stairs, breaking the other leg, a few days later.