Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846694 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2150 on: 07 December, 2011, 10:40:03 am »
Sidetracked ~ Henning Mankell.  I've read a few Wallander novels, mostly in the wrong order so some bits don't make sense, so have decided to do The Lot in the right order.  Also I didn't realise until yesterday that none of the Krister Henriksson TV episodes is an adaptation of one of the books :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2151 on: 07 December, 2011, 02:07:10 pm »
After London - Richard Jefferies
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2152 on: 07 December, 2011, 02:09:48 pm »
The Bone House - Stephen Lawhead

Second book in The Skin Map trilogy.

It's good, I am enjoying it, but it seems too short at 320 pages, after reading Tad Williams books at >800 pages each.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2153 on: 07 December, 2011, 05:56:47 pm »
Ghost by Robert Harris, very good
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2154 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »
+1, enjoyed that too.

Just finished (re)reading JB Priestly's Angel Pavement, last time about 30 years ago. It started off as a nice cosy winter's read, but ended on quite a dark note.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2155 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:17:50 pm »
Robert Louis Stevenson's Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes. I think I may incorporate bits of his route into next summer's tour.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2156 on: 08 December, 2011, 12:46:03 pm »
Robert Louis Stevenson's Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes. I think I may incorporate bits of his route into next summer's tour.

I read that on my holds in Languadoc a few years a go. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2157 on: 08 December, 2011, 12:48:33 pm »
1Q84 Haruki Murakami

First thing I have read by him. So far very good. The third volume has a different translator apparently which may make reading it a bit odd but then again there is no way I can read it in the original Japanese.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

tiermat

« Reply #2158 on: 12 December, 2011, 09:00:37 am »
Finished the Bone House, can't wait til next summer for the thrid part to come out

To make things a bit more challenging now I am reading 3 different books.

First is "My Shit Life So Far" by Frankie Boyle, sort of ok, but I have read much better, and much funnier, autobiographies.

Second is the absolutely brilliant "Culinary Reactions" by Simon Field (not Simon French as I told Torslanda yesterday).  Geek and cookery together, I am in heaven :)

The third is still the 3rd one in Tad Williams "Otherworld" series.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #2159 on: 16 December, 2011, 11:31:42 am »
Gave up on the Frankie Boyle, it should be entitles "My Shit, Cash In Book"

Finished "Culinary Reactions", but it will probably reward a re-visit in the new year.

Still wading through the Otherworld book, and have started a book reviewing "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins,  Basically a collection of essays on how that book influenced a bunch of scientists' work.

« Reply #2160 on: 16 December, 2011, 11:41:58 am »
I'm currently re-reading the whole of the Clan of the Cavebear series by Jean M Auel as I've been lent the last one.

They don't half go downhill in order after the Mammoth Hunters!   :facepalm:  The repetition alone may kill me...didn't someone actually go through and proof-read this ffs??

But I still want to find out how she finishes it all off!   ;D

LindaG

« Reply #2161 on: 17 December, 2011, 03:09:53 pm »
Part way through Miles From Nowhere by Barbara Savage, one of the best cycle touring books I've read.  Thank you MSeries for the recommendation. 

I may put this book in the Lending Library when I've finished it, if anyone would be interested.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2162 on: 17 December, 2011, 03:13:29 pm »
Part way through Miles From Nowhere by Barbara Savage, one of the best cycle touring books I've read.  Thank you MSeries for the recommendation. 

I may put this book in the Lending Library when I've finished it, if anyone would be interested.

I'd like to try it please

LindaG

« Reply #2163 on: 17 December, 2011, 03:14:20 pm »
Okay lovely, as I say, I haven't finished it yet, but when I do I'll start a thread in the Library and post it to you.

« Reply #2164 on: 17 December, 2011, 05:32:53 pm »
Smileys People, never thought I would like it but I am hooked
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2165 on: 17 December, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »
Second is the absolutely brilliant "Culinary Reactions" by Simon Field (not Simon French as I told Torslanda yesterday).  Geek and cookery together, I am in heaven :)

Ooh, I've been promising myself a science in cooking book for years... shall take a look at that one.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tiermat

« Reply #2166 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:25:31 am »
Today, to stave off the pre=Xmas boredom whilst at work I am reading "Damn You, Autocorrect"

It's a good job I work at home, I am seriously PMSL. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2167 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:27:02 am »
God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

and

Mr Justice Raffles by EW Hornung

I think I've given up on Richard Jeffries for the moment - his descriptions of nature are magical, but his plots and dialogue are dreadfully dull. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #2168 on: 19 December, 2011, 09:51:24 pm »

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #2169 on: 19 December, 2011, 10:34:19 pm »

He may have revised his opinion recently.
Mojo is being awakened.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2170 on: 20 December, 2011, 10:10:26 am »

He may have revised his opinion recently.

Who, Hitchens?  Or God?

Apparently last Saturday's Grauniad featured a cartoon in which a rather terrified Christpher Hitchens, equipped with little wings, harp in right hand, glass of iced whisky and burning fag in the other is facing a bearded gowned figure.  The bearded figure is saying, 'Relax I'm Charles Darwin'.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2171 on: 20 December, 2011, 10:16:55 am »

I think I've given up on Richard Jeffries for the moment - his descriptions of nature are magical, but his plots and dialogue are dreadfully dull. :(

I know what you mean.  I did manage to get all the way through After London, which is very thought-provoking if gloomy, but I've given myself a break from Bevis for the moment.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2172 on: 20 December, 2011, 10:46:51 am »
I've read After London before - about thirty years ago.  Just trying to get through it again.  Doesn't entirely seem worth it.

I think God will wait until Hitchens is out of earshot before saying anything abuot religion, lest he be required to disappear in a puff of logic.
Getting there...

« Reply #2173 on: 20 December, 2011, 11:46:49 am »
‘Who Are We - And Should It Matter in the 21st Century?’ by Gary Younge   - recommend for easy, non-cliched style and keen insight and simple humanity

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2174 on: 20 December, 2011, 11:47:44 am »
I like Gary Younge's writing, though I've only ever read his reporting in the Guardian, and not any books.
Getting there...