Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846698 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2250 on: 29 January, 2012, 07:51:32 pm »
The Chimp Paradox.

Makes a lot of things make sense.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2251 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:18:21 pm »
At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig - John Gimlette. Travels in and history of Paraguay. Amusingly written, I am enjoying this so recommended.

LindaG

« Reply #2252 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:53:34 pm »
Committed, by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I'm only half way through it but it occurs to me that someone who's not even married yet, would be wise to be a bit less SMUG about her marriage  :-\

Tempting fate much Liz?

Come back in 30 years and give us a halfway sitrep.  By then I'll be prepared to give you credibility.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2253 on: 12 February, 2012, 02:19:01 pm »
Miles From Nowhere by Barbara Savage,courtesy of Lindagordhino otp

« Reply #2254 on: 12 February, 2012, 02:19:51 pm »
An Optimists Tour of the Future - Mark Stevenson

A look at what's just around the corner in AI, Biotech, Nanotech and Space. Basically stuff that's just leaving or about to leave  the labs and they are working out how to get into production. Fascinating and makes a change from the usual doom and gloom. Old film printing factories being bought lock stock and barrel as they go bust and getting converted to print flexible organic based solar cells on the same machinery was an eye opener.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2255 on: 13 February, 2012, 11:09:32 am »
C by Tom McCarthy

Not sure how I feel about it, tbh, but I'm only a quarter of the way through. It's another one I've been wanting to read for a while, so maybe I was expecting too much. Or maybe it's just not the best choice immediately after finishing Pickwick Papers - the change of pace is somewhat jarring. Having said that, I was beginning to get bored of Pickwick Papers by the end, and C is much more the kind of thing I like to read, though I can see why some have labelled it as pretentious literary wank.

I have Carol Birch's Jamrach's Menagerie lined up next. Sounds like a good old-fashioned ripping yarn. Maybe I should have read that first. And David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns Of Jacob De Zoet, which I'm building up to - sounds like a bit of an epic.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #2256 on: 13 February, 2012, 01:02:54 pm »
I'm about a hundred pages into 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King. A weighty tome for sure but the start is encouraging.

« Reply #2257 on: 13 February, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »
Flint by Louis L'Amour

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2258 on: 14 February, 2012, 12:05:41 pm »
Am full of joy as am reading the new Bernie Gunther thriller, 'Prague Fatale' by Philip Kerr  :D

And...drumroll...there will be a new one out in 2013 which makes me very happy.

« Reply #2259 on: 14 February, 2012, 12:25:59 pm »
Saturday by Ian McEwan. First book of his I've read, and a treat so far.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2260 on: 14 February, 2012, 12:40:18 pm »
Swords and Swordsmen by Mike Loades.

A difficult book to categorise. It's like 'a short history of nearly everything', but via the medium of sharp pointy bits of metal.  A look at some historical figures through the arms they carried or used - e.g. Tutankhamun's khepesh, Maximilian I's war sword.  Whatever.  It's a book about swords and swordsmen, written by someone who knows how to use the kit he's discussing.  It's well-written, and contains some of Mr Loades' personal theories, based upon spending a lot of time trying to make practical use of things that modern life has erased from knowledge.  There's also some occasional anecdote about TV and film, freezing ones bits off during long night shoots.  So far, I like it.

It's a nice complement to 'By the Sword' by the sabreur Richard Cohen, which I read some years ago.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #2261 on: 14 February, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »
God is not great by the late great Christopher Hitchens, very good
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

« Reply #2262 on: 21 February, 2012, 11:56:09 am »
Whatever (original title "L'Extension du Domaine de la Lutte") by Michel Houellebecq.

Love it. It's hilarious. Will probably appeal to anyone who likes the more self-indulgent end of the spectrum of Will Self's writing. Can't believe I've never read any of Houellebecq's stuff before.

Edit: it occurs to me that his studied, cynical misanthropy probably makes him a French Charlie Brooker.

d.

« Reply #2263 on: 21 February, 2012, 01:19:54 pm »

I have Carol Birch's Jamrach's Menagerie lined up next. Sounds like a good old-fashioned ripping yarn. Maybe I should have read that first. And David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns Of Jacob De Zoet, which I'm building up to - sounds like a bit of an epic.

d.

I'm on page 400 and something of this at the moment, having just read David Mitchell's "Black Swan Green" and "Ghostwritten" in close succession. I'm really pleased to have found this fabulous writer. The 400 odd pages have whizzed by...

citoyen

« Reply #2264 on: 21 February, 2012, 01:23:51 pm »
Good to hear. I'm looking forward to it.

d.

« Reply #2265 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:11:56 pm »
I can't honestly say that the prospect of reading about sports persons' tales of derring do has ever appealed. However, I thought I'd better skim through Laurent Fignon's autobiography, an unasked for loan, before handing it back. It's actually an engrossing story, at least as far as I've got, which is halfway. 

Before that I re-read The Ancient Mariner for the first time since my children were very young. Wonderful stuff.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2266 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:34:02 pm »
The Sentinels: Fortunes of War by Gordon Zuckerman

Simply dreadful.

The basic premise is a group of uber-(inherited)rich kids, all of whom are both super beautiful and super intelligent, conspire to steal squillions from super rich industrialists who are attempting to extricate their immense wealth from a collapsing Nazi Germany, by ostensibly helping them achieve it.

The characters make me want to vomit. The plot is bearable, but I can't help but get incredibly irritated at the super-rich protagonists and the incredible privileges that their money buys them in the midst of a war that is destroying millions of lives.

I should really have known that I would hate it, but the blurb made it sound a) fiction that takes place believably within a historical setting and b) a lot more 'Robin Hood' than simply blindingly rich people, stealing from other even richer people.

http://www.amazon.com/Fortunes-War-Sentinels-Book-Greenleaf/dp/1929774648

Blood Trails: The Combat Diary of a Foot Soldier in Vietnam by Christopher Ronnau

Bloody brilliant.

A superb illustration of the author's experience as a light infantry soldier in Vietnam. It paints a picture of the ignorance and pointlessness of the war, from the footsoldier's perspective. He focusses on his memories (and diary entries) of boredom, terror and the disgraceful lack of training that he experienced aswell as some of the lighter moments such as his description of attempting to play it cool on one occasion that they had to share a shower with some Vietnamese women, that backfired when he realised that although he had managed to nonchalantly strip off and walk into the showers - he had forgotten to take his helmet off. It had me snorting with laughter on the train.

He isn't particularly descriptive of actual events, rather focuses on telling the reader how he was feeling / what he was thinking which is a very engaging way to read about his time in 'the Nam'.

I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Trails-Combat-Soldier-Vietnam/dp/0891418830
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2267 on: 21 February, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »
Graham Hurley's DI Faraday series.  Unfashionably set in Portsmouth and not nearly as well known as Inspectors Banks, Thorne or Rebus, or Sergeant McRae.  Not quite as good, either, but worth a punt if you like that sort of thing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2268 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:18:59 pm »
In a free state by VS Naipaul.

John Henry

« Reply #2269 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:28:55 pm »

And David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns Of Jacob De Zoet, which I'm building up to - sounds like a bit of an epic.

d.

I'm on page 400 and something of this at the moment, having just read David Mitchell's "Black Swan Green" and "Ghostwritten" in close succession. I'm really pleased to have found this fabulous writer. The 400 odd pages have whizzed by...

David Mitchell is rapidly becoming one of my top 5 authors. I've recently read Cloud Atlas (wow!) and re-read 'Black Swan Green' (which I love because I live near where it's set) and I'm currently reading 'Ghostwritten'. It's all just amazingly good.

How he finds time to do all those sitcoms and panel shows is beyond me. (I know - 1/10 for wit).

« Reply #2270 on: 21 February, 2012, 07:29:48 pm »
Branson by Tom Bower, actually interesting and thought provoking
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2271 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:35:53 pm »
Walter Isaacson's hefty biography of Steve Jobs. Totally fascinating in so many ways, not only Steve Jobs's unique and often difficult personality. The early days of personal computers and the driven characters that invented it. The fertile ground of Silicon Valley - I used to travel there once or twice a year with work, so I'm familiar with Palo Alto, Stanford University, Mountain View etc - the geography of the area and all the tech developments that came out of that atmosphere (if I could choose to live anywhere in the world it would be there). The politics of a young, rapidly expanding company, personality clashes that decided which products were developed and sold. Last but not least, the detailed history of Apple computers - although I was aware of them from the days of the Commodore Pet and Sinclair ZX81, I only bought one for myself shortly after Jobs returned in the late 90s, so the detailed history of the Lisa, the first Macintosh, the folly that was NeXT is engrossing.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #2272 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »
...coming towards the end of Andy Allsopp's excellent Barring Mechanicals

I'm glad you enjoyed it mate (presumably you've finished now, right?). Good to see you last night.

Andy.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2273 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:35:40 pm »
You didn't give up before the end, so I didn't either. ;D

At the risk of causing blushes, I've got to say it's a great read, and I really like your writing style.  You manage to tell the story and keep the dramatic tension going while still managing to express the longueurs of long distance riding, and covering amusing diversions.

I look forward to the next instalment ;)

Yes.  Good to see you last night.  I thought it was ambitious trying to ride that slowly on a bent, so I was trying to talk to you and leave you enough space at the same time.  Not sure it worked all the time.

Look forward to seeing you on a more normal paced ride soon :thumbsup:
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #2274 on: 23 February, 2012, 05:54:30 pm »
Totally loving Jamrach's Menagerie so far, about a quarter of the way through. I can see why some think it should have won the Booker. My vote still goes with Julian Barnes but there's not much in it.

d.