Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846698 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2300 on: 12 March, 2012, 12:54:02 am »
Bloody commie! ;D
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2301 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:46:00 am »
The City & The City - China Miéville
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #2302 on: 16 March, 2012, 05:56:27 pm »
I've just finished the Millenium trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc...) spurred on by watching the film recently. I'd read the first book, but not bothered with the others. However, I was amazed at how gripping the story became.

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. I really like his fiction and this was excellent. If you've never read it, the Wind Up Girl is superb.

« Reply #2303 on: 16 March, 2012, 06:04:57 pm »
Have just finished "Winter in Madrid", must admit to being a tad depressed at the fashion to have a f****d up ending with no good news or nobody but the bad guys winning, lets have the odd one where somebody lives with a future at the end  :'(
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2304 on: 16 March, 2012, 06:30:30 pm »
Put Me Back on My Bike
Biography of Tom Simpson, by William Fotheringham.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2305 on: 17 March, 2012, 11:29:28 pm »
"A View from the Foothills", by Chris Mullin. It was recommended to me by Peli, of this parish, last heard of somewhere in Chile.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It's certainly very readable and has some strong recommendations as a political diary and quite a lot of it is entertaining. Mullin was appointed by Blair as a Junior Minister, firstly under Prescott at Environment, then Clare Short at International Development, and finally at the Foreign Office under Jack Straw.

This volume covers the period from 1999 to 2005: the last entry in the diary is after the 2005 election in which Blair sacks him from his job and puts someone else in his place. For someone touted as a left-winger, he seems remarkably sycophantic to Blair- but then I suppose in the early days most Labour MPs did. Although Mullin voted against the Iraq War, he still remains loyal to "The Man", as he calls Tony Blair. It's very interesting that he seems to be completely hostile to Gordon Brown throughout. The Decline and Fall (2005 - 2010) is the second volume, and I would think they might be a bit more interesting: I gain the impression from the volume I've read that perhaps Mullin is holding back in his descriptions of Tony Blair.

I'm going to order Decline & Fall now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2306 on: 18 March, 2012, 09:47:34 am »
I still haven't finished David Millars book - it is quite dark at times.
I have a long train journey tomorrow, so last night I bought the complete Guide the Hitchhikers Galaxy  ;D

« Reply #2307 on: 18 March, 2012, 11:26:22 am »
Reading Super Cannes by Ballard atm. I recently read Cocaine Nights, and this is said to be a companion. It does feel like he's taken the same idea, and just changed the setting.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2308 on: 18 March, 2012, 04:28:36 pm »
Reading Super Cannes by Ballard atm. I recently read Cocaine Nights, and this is said to be a companion. It does feel like he's taken the same idea, and just changed the setting.
Ditto. Cocaine Nights blew me away (DYSWIDT?!?), so Super Cannes was a real letdown.
Also to be avoided - his novella Running Wild. A plodding  "mystery".

I must read Crash some day - great film.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #2309 on: 18 March, 2012, 11:38:24 pm »
Having finished Cycling Home From Siberia by Rob Lilwall.

I’m working now on "Until Undeath do us Part” by Anthony Camber. “Like Shaun of the Dead, but gayer”. Anthony Camber is a pseudonym, the author is an ex colleague of mine. It’s set in Cambridge so many of the places described are familiar.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2310 on: 21 March, 2012, 05:21:49 pm »
Last night I read "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" by Philip K. Dick
It kind of reminded me of some film starring Arnold Sandwichmaker set on Mars......

Now reading George Orwell's "Animal Farm"   

I wuv my kindle! :thumbsup:

« Reply #2311 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:11:00 pm »
Inspired by R4, I've just read everything by J L Carr that Reading library has: The Harpole Report,
How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won the F.A. Cup, & (the best, by far) A Month in the Country.

I'm now making my first ever foray into Stendhal: The Charterhouse of Parma. Page 77, & OK so far.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2312 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:17:59 pm »
On the street where you live by Mary Higgins Clark, tis good  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2313 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:25:53 pm »
Inspired by R4, I've just read everything by J L Carr that Reading library

What was it on R4 that inspired you, Bledlow?
If you've come to like  JL Carr, the biography by Byron Rogers is a good read

« Reply #2314 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:30:49 pm »
The Harpole Report. May still be available on iplayer. Broadcast Monday 12th to Friday 16th March, 11.45 & 19.45.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #2315 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:32:34 pm »
I have been working my way through the Rev. W. Awdry's railway series.  On to book 39 when I get home, just read 38,  'Wilbert, The Forest Engine', before the weekend.

« Reply #2316 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:40:59 pm »
Our Man In Havana again.  Which reminds me I must re read Scoop
"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

« Reply #2317 on: 25 March, 2012, 11:13:23 am »
Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. Definitely worth reading, so far.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2318 on: 25 March, 2012, 02:45:12 pm »
The Lighthouse Stevensons by Bella Bathurst. I can't think of a single YACFer who wouldn't like it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2319 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:06:22 pm »
Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw's book on quantum mechanics. Trouble is, I can't stop reading it - in my mind - in an annoying "isn't the universe brilliant?" northern voice.

« Reply #2320 on: 27 March, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »
Just started Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer, first by him I have read, so far very good, I have been very lucky recently with three absorbing reads  :)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2321 on: 27 March, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »
The Doors Of Perception by Aldous Huxley. Interesting, but slightly tough going for a dummy like me.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2322 on: 28 March, 2012, 08:20:09 am »
Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw's book on quantum mechanics. Trouble is, I can't stop reading it - in my mind - in an annoying "isn't the universe brilliant?" northern voice.

I've just finished Jon Ronson's Psychopath Test and had a similar problem - his voice comes through very clearly. Good book though. Funny and fascinating.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #2323 on: 28 March, 2012, 05:21:49 pm »
I'm about a hundred pages into 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King. A weighty tome for sure but the start is encouraging.

That's lord of the flies Stephen King style that is. I enjoyed it.

Finished it now.

I lke King and I liked this with the exception of the way he ended the book, a bit meh, for me. Not dissapointed in how the book ended, just in how he got there.

simonp

« Reply #2324 on: 28 March, 2012, 05:44:11 pm »
Having finished Cycling Home From Siberia by Rob Lilwall.

I’m working now on "Until Undeath do us Part” by Anthony Camber. “Like Shaun of the Dead, but gayer”. Anthony Camber is a pseudonym, the author is an ex colleague of mine. It’s set in Cambridge so many of the places described are familiar.

Finished it. Only book I've read where the word 'fugly' is used in prose. :)