Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846629 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2400 on: 19 June, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »
I had started Fatherland (Robert Harris) but having read Archangel recently I found it formulaic so have jumped on to The Confidential Agent by Graham Greene  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2401 on: 20 June, 2012, 01:11:10 pm »
I read pretty much all of Graham Greene before I was was 20.  Must revisit some of them. again [edit - oops]

I'm currently on the new Tudor Mantel piece.

« Reply #2402 on: 20 June, 2012, 01:31:07 pm »
I read pretty much all of Graham Greene before I was was 20.  Must revisit some of them again.

I am afraid a lot of things were curtailed around the age of sixteen when I fell in love with Castrol R and a particular BSA 650cc motor bike, even Wimmin took a distant second place, all books for a while were technical manuals

;)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2403 on: 20 June, 2012, 02:12:48 pm »
I read pretty much all of Graham Greene before I was was 20.  Must revisit some of them. again [edit - oops]

Nice one - Hilarious, in fact!  Mind you don't fall off!

« Reply #2404 on: 29 June, 2012, 09:06:13 am »
I am reading The Age of Miracles.A strange book about the World slowing down and its implications.Its told through the eyes of a eleven year old girl.Its the end of the world as we know it.

« Reply #2405 on: 29 June, 2012, 09:18:33 am »
Pride and Prejudice. How have I not read this before? it's brilliant!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2406 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:43:20 am »
Pride and Prejudice. How have I not read this before? it's brilliant!

Yes! A lot of people, boys especially, dismiss Jane Austen as girly nonsense, all bonnets and balls, but she's one of the finest comic novelists this nation has ever produced. She's also unfortunately tarnished by some of her fans, especially the Americans, who seem to mainly like her for the bonnets and balls and not the incisive satire and biting wit. If you like P&P, give Emma a go.

I'm currently reading David Millar's Racing Through The Dark. It may lack the humour and the literary style of Jane Austen but it's a fascinating read, terrifying and sad in places. Strangely, it hasn't exactly improved my opinion of Millar as a person. There's a slightly whiny, weaselish note of self-justification... but I've only just reached the turning point in the story, the ban, so maybe it's a deliberate ploy to portray the pre-ban Millar as a horrible spoilt brat with a massive sense of entitlement in order to heighten the impact of his redemption...

Brailsford is coming out of it very well though.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2407 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:55:25 am »
I avoided most of the classics whilst at school, mainly because I was in a low set for English (not that you can tell now :) ).

Later in life I thought I should start catching up, Dickens left me cold, Austen I liked but my favourite, which hit me like mike with P&P, was Anna Karenina.

Back on topic, I am reading Bad Science, recommended for those that, like me, have a loathing for the advert claims for lotions and potions (i.e. 92% said they saw a improvement* (*sample size 15)).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2408 on: 30 June, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »
Just finished 'For Esme - with love and squalor' or 'Nine Stories' by J. D. Salinger. A series of vignettes/short stories it absolutely blew me away. Where has Salinger been all my life - he reminds me of a whole host of writers that I love, people like Virginia Woolf and Margaret Atwood.

Just started reading 'The Hunger Games' and so far, so good. Our next Reading Group selection is 'The Chemistry of Tears' by Peter Carey. Many think this will be on the long list for the Booker Prize, but we shall see come mid-July when they announce them.

LindaG

« Reply #2409 on: 01 July, 2012, 11:03:26 pm »
I avoided most of the classics whilst at school, mainly because I was in a low set for English (not that you can tell now :) ).

Later in life I thought I should start catching up, Dickens left me cold, Austen I liked but my favourite, which hit me like mike with P&P, was Anna Karenina.

Back on topic, I am reading Bad Science, recommended for those that, like me, have a loathing for the advert claims for lotions and potions (i.e. 92% said they saw a improvement* (*sample size 15)).

Anna Kqrenina had a similar effect on me T.  Bad Science is also a good read.   :thumbsup:

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2410 on: 03 July, 2012, 09:54:58 pm »
Don Quixote de la Mancha.

Definitely not in original Spanish (I'll leave that to Juan & others otp), but a translation from 2000, bought for 50p in Combe Martin. It's rather amusing & I am enjoying it at the moment.

« Reply #2411 on: 04 July, 2012, 12:31:08 am »
I have just finished Home by Toni Morrison, which was sent to me by a friend.  It is set in the Deep South in the wake of the Korean War.  It's short, a novella really, and she has such a light touch that the acts of violence are so much more shocking.  They are essential to the story and an understanding of the cesspit that was (and possibly still is) that part of America.  I've known her by reputation only until now (She is a Nobel and Pulitzer prize-winner) but I'll definitely be reading more.  I urge you to seek this one out.  In spite of what I've said, it is not a violent book (I tend to avoid those).  She never misses a stitch and is so poetic.

AndyK

« Reply #2412 on: 04 July, 2012, 08:27:52 am »
Finally got round to reading Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. The film is an enduring classic that I absolutely love, the book knocks the film into a cocked hat.

citoyen

What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2413 on: 04 July, 2012, 08:50:47 am »
Self Help by Edward Docx. Very much the model of the modern work of literary fiction. Shades of Martin Amis but much more likeable. I'm enjoying it very much so far.

Also reading the Reg Harris biography by Robert Dineen. A character I know very little about. Interesting story but written in quite a drab style.

d.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2414 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:34:31 am »
I have just finished Home by Toni Morrison, which was sent to me by a friend.  It is set in the Deep South in the wake of the Korean War.  It's short, a novella really, and she has such a light touch that the acts of violence are so much more shocking.  They are essential to the story and an understanding of the cesspit that was (and possibly still is) that part of America.  I've known her by reputation only until now (She is a Nobel and Pulitzer prize-winner) but I'll definitely be reading more.  I urge you to seek this one out.  In spite of what I've said, it is not a violent book (I tend to avoid those).  She never misses a stitch and is so poetic.

Oh thanks for this review Peter, am trying to persuade the library to order more copies of this in as I would like my Reading Group Ladies to read it.

Have started reading 'The Catcher in the Rye' by J D Salinger after really enjoying his 'Nine Stories'.

« Reply #2415 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:41:13 am »
Glad to be of service!  I read Salinger as a teenager and must do so again.

Ron-da-Valli

• It's a bloomin' miracle!
  • Rorke's Drift
« Reply #2416 on: 04 July, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »
Just finished "The Last Cavalier" by Alexandre Dumas, which was apparently only recently discovered in the Paris archives. Not quite as good as The Three Musketeers though.

« Reply #2417 on: 04 July, 2012, 04:12:59 pm »
Self Help by Edward Docx.

Version 10, eh?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2418 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:39:38 pm »
I don't get The Catcher In The Rye. Honestly, what a whinger.

I'm about to start Moab is my Washpot.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2419 on: 04 July, 2012, 08:24:06 pm »
Self Help by Edward Docx.

Version 10, eh?

I can't help thinking of him as Edward.docx

d.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2420 on: 05 July, 2012, 09:43:37 am »
The Women's Room - Marylin French.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2421 on: 06 July, 2012, 09:49:53 am »
'Johnny Gingers last ride' by Tom Freemantle, a true epic of a cycle blog from Swanbourne to Freemantle in Austrailia, (named after his great great.....relative Admiral Freemantle. He's just arived at Hong kong (1997) for the new year.  ::-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2422 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:52:00 am »
Isle Of Dogs ~  Patricia Cornwell.  Squarely in the Land of Odd compared with her usual output :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2423 on: 09 July, 2012, 12:12:33 pm »
After all the hype, I thought I would attempt to read "50 Shades of Grey"

30 pages in I thought "well that's a part of my life that I will never get back"

What a total and utter piles of shite.  The author can't write for toffee (I am sure I could do better and I am the first to admit I can't write to save my life).

So I gave up on that and starting "Darwin Slept Here", much better, a funny look at Darwin's trip in South America, as seen from the eyes of a graduate who was bored with his job and decided to follow in Darwin's footsteps.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2424 on: 09 July, 2012, 01:03:58 pm »
I don't get The Catcher In The Rye. Honestly, what a Whinger
I think you have to read it as an angst ridden self obsessed teen.
If I read it now I'd probably just want to tell him to grow the fuck up and get over himself.