Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846652 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2525 on: 27 September, 2012, 03:09:02 pm »
Half-way through Game of Thrones. Only 6 more books to go! I thank you.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2526 on: 27 September, 2012, 03:34:24 pm »
Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy
I read the first part several years ago but never got around to buying the rest as they were published. Downloaded them all on Kindle and they are brilliant. A huge (each of the three volumes is over 1000 pages in paperback form) space opera with lots of parallel plots and excellent villains, space ships and aliens. I'm on the final quarter of the last book now. Highly recommended.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

red marley

« Reply #2527 on: 27 September, 2012, 03:43:08 pm »

It's worse than you think. Each one is longer than the previous. Book six is over 1000 pages. I've just finished working though all of them. As commented upon upthread, after a good start, it drifts somewhat into soap opera (if science fiction can have "space opera", perhaps this is "mace opera"). Still readable, but I found it increasingly difficult to care about characters last seen in a chapter 500 pages previously.

« Reply #2528 on: 27 September, 2012, 03:50:37 pm »

It's worse than you think. Each one is longer than the previous. Book six is over 1000 pages. I've just finished working though all of them. As commented upon upthread, after a good start, it drifts somewhat into soap opera (if science fiction can have "space opera", perhaps this is "mace opera"). Still readable, but I found it increasingly difficult to care about characters last seen in a chapter 500 pages previously.
Doesn't bode well at all for those struggling through it on audiobook.
Roy Dotrice isn't great either; why (o why) is Tyrion Welsh, but not Cersei, or Jamie, or Tywin??

Riggers

« Reply #2529 on: 27 September, 2012, 05:38:22 pm »
Game of Thrones, once more.

My son said: "Go on Dad, you'll enjoy these."

Me: Maybe, I dunno. They're so long though, and there's … HOW MANY BOOKS!!!!

So I've started the first one. "Whassthehellgoingon!" I'm thinking, struggling through the first 50 pages. "Who the hell is that!" flicking to the back pages for reference.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2530 on: 28 September, 2012, 12:19:47 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_History , 3rd book in William Gibson's Pattern Recognition trilogy.

Apparently I'm reading SF about designer denim jackets. But it's intriguing!

It took 200 pages for anything to actually happen. There is more technology in a single paragraph of Neuromancer. But it's great writing - there's something clever about modern culture on every page.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2531 on: 28 September, 2012, 09:47:34 am »
I'm getting a little confused now I have real books and ebooks on the go at once. It doesn't take much....

Reading the Tyler Hamilton one on the kindle to see what all this fuss is. Real book wise I'm reading Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. Great, but it's heavy. As in weights workout to hold it heavy. Should have downloaded that one. First one in the century trilogy, I like his books and not sure why I haven't got round to reading this before.

« Reply #2532 on: 28 September, 2012, 09:58:21 am »
Game of Thrones, once more.

My son said: "Go on Dad, you'll enjoy these."

Me: Maybe, I dunno. They're so long though, and there's … HOW MANY BOOKS!!!!

So I've started the first one. "Whassthehellgoingon!" I'm thinking, struggling through the first 50 pages. "Who the hell is that!" flicking to the back pages for reference.

The series known as "A Song of Ice and Fire" was originally intended to be a trilogy, but is now slated to finish at nine books, the final two clocking in at 1,500 pages each (which has led to speculation that the series may end up at ten books, assuming GRRM doesn't cark it first).

By way of a comparison, Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series started out at six books, and then doubled in length by the time Jordan died. The twelfth book was finished by Brendan Sanderson, who wrote another two to finish off the series at fourteen books! Though in fairness, they aren't doorsteps like the ASOIAF volumes, or anything by Peter Hamilton.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2533 on: 01 October, 2012, 05:43:04 pm »
Ignoring this year's Booker shortlist for a moment and going back to 2010, I've just downloaded The Finkler Question because the Kindle edition is currently going for just 99p.

...and very good it is too. Funny, clever, poignant. Love it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2534 on: 02 October, 2012, 03:44:14 pm »
By coincidence I read A Game of Thrones last month. It took me a while to get through it, so I decided to read some lighter/shorter stuff before starting on the next book.

Since then I've read:
Watch Over Me- Daniela Sacerdoti
Two Women- Martina Cole
The Obree Way- Graeme Obree
The Forgotten Garden- Kate Morton

All of them were good, particularly The Forgotten Garden which is very well written with great historical detail and kept me interested all the way through.

LindaG

« Reply #2535 on: 02 October, 2012, 03:48:35 pm »
The Severed Alliance by Jonny Rogan.

citoyen

« Reply #2536 on: 02 October, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »
The Severed Alliance by Jonny Rogan.

I've been hearing rumours that suggest a new chapter might need to be added to that book.

I hope it doesn't happen though. No good can come of it.

d.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2537 on: 02 October, 2012, 10:59:48 pm »
By coincidence I read A Game of Thrones last month. It took me a while to get through it, so I decided to read some lighter/shorter stuff before starting on the next book.

Since then I've read:
Watch Over Me- Daniela Sacerdoti
Two Women- Martina Cole
The Obree Way- Graeme Obree
The Forgotten Garden- Kate Morton

All of them were good, particularly The Forgotten Garden which is very well written with great historical detail and kept me interested all the way through.

I've just finished 'A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold'. Probably the slimmest of GRR Martin's books, and the most action I have read yet. Several times I was pumping my fist in the air and yelling 'Woot'  ;D

Riggers

« Reply #2538 on: 04 October, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »
<hands over ears> "Don't tell me, don't tell me!!"

Just started the 2nd book in the series now … A Clash of Kings

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2539 on: 04 October, 2012, 07:29:30 pm »

Hahaha - I promise not to reveal anymore, rip-roaring adventure abounds  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #2540 on: 04 October, 2012, 08:20:16 pm »

Hahaha - I promise not to reveal anymore, rip-roaring adventure abounds  ;D

Not to mention,

(Potential spoiler - but frankly, I doubt it)
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #2541 on: 04 October, 2012, 08:53:32 pm »
Innocence by Pierre Magnan, tis good
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

« Reply #2542 on: 05 October, 2012, 10:50:20 am »
Started reading Will Self's Umbrella this morning...

Wow.  :o

Wish I didn't have to come to work today. I just want to sit in a comfy corner and carry on reading it until I've finished.

d.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2543 on: 05 October, 2012, 11:11:36 am »
I have departed from the Booker list, for now, as I realised I had no chance of reading the last three in 10 days or so, plus I got hold of a copy of Stephen Lawhead's The Spirit Well, book 3 of The Bright Empires series.  This is what I am reading now, it's good, very very good.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2544 on: 05 October, 2012, 08:32:13 pm »
Started reading Will Self's Umbrella this morning...

Wow.  :o

Wish I didn't have to come to work today. I just want to sit in a comfy corner and carry on reading it until I've finished.

d.

Told you!  ;) It is very affecting. Into Narcopolis and so far it is not bad.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2545 on: 05 October, 2012, 09:02:42 pm »
I have departed from the Booker list, for now, as I realised I had no chance of reading the last three in 10 days or so, plus I got hold of a copy of Stephen Lawhead's The Spirit Well, book 3 of The Bright Empires series.  This is what I am reading now, it's good, very very good.

And just to confuse my poor little brain a bit more I had an Amazon delivery today, 2 books about Cultural and Social History of Catalonia and Bernard Cornwell's new book (1356).

Back to multitasking on the books, I think :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2546 on: 07 October, 2012, 05:31:33 pm »
Have finished another 2 books on my Booker Prize list.

Narcopolis - really its Trainspotting set in India, but with even more drugs! Set in the 1970's in a Bombay opium den, it explores 4 main characters over the next few decades. It has also lots of violence, gore and dirtiness but the beauty comes from the stories that all these characters have, from their past and their associations with people from long ago and with the rest of the cast. Most of this book is readable and it was very easy to get absorbed. However, by the end of the book I was getting a a little bored though.

Rating: 7/10

The Lighthouse by Alison Moore - Oh. My. Lord. I thought that 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes was good (it won last years) but this is one hell of a book. A man who is newly separated but middle-aged is taking a break and is embarking on a walking holiday in Germany. Whilst he looks back on his life, the woman who runs the B n'B is also contemplating her life and her marriage.

Yet again, the brilliance of this book is what is not written, the reader can pick up what is really going on. This ain't the happiest novel in the world but the two main characters are going to stay with me for a very long time. This book came from a small publishing company and kudos to Booker for shortlisting it. Stunningly brilliant.

Rating: 9.5/10

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2547 on: 07 October, 2012, 05:45:53 pm »
Runelight by Joanne Harris. I like all her stuff and this is no exception. Plus, it mentions Farnley Tyas.  :)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2548 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:54:42 am »
I am reading "The Surrogate" by Tania Carver (an apt surname).

It's a standard murder story, differentiated by the fact it's set in Colchester. My Mum read it and passed it on to me because of the Colchester link. It's gory (which I usually don't mind) but involves babies dying (which I do, really, and would rather not read about) so I'm skimming some bits but finding the descriptions of Colchester quite interesting. Apparently there are areas (New Town, for example) where people don't go at night and are a bit dodgy during the day. I've gotta say, I cycle through all these areas without a thought for that kinda thing, day or night. I wonder if it's emphasised for plot reasons or if I'm just ridiculously naïve.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

« Reply #2549 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:11:04 am »
The Lighthouse by Alison Moore - Oh. My. Lord. I thought that 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes was good (it won last years) but this is one hell of a book. A man who is newly separated but middle-aged is taking a break and is embarking on a walking holiday in Germany. Whilst he looks back on his life, the woman who runs the B n'B is also contemplating her life and her marriage.

Youve piqued my interest, so I downloaded a sample to my Kindle. Interesting. Promising start, makes me want to read more. Except...

It opens with a description of the main character standing on the deck of a boat, and apparently he's "looking up at the waxing moon".

Gah!

This really irritates me. For two reasons: a) the author obviously doesn't know the meaning of the word "waxing" (her editor should have caught this) - the moon may well have been waxing but this is information is neither useful nor relevant (nor interesting) in the context; and b) it shows that she's just grasping for an adjective because she feels she needs one there rather than because it adds anything (I'm reminded of Elmore Leonard's ten rules for writing, though it was adverbs rather than adjectives that he proscribed).

Lucky I was reading it on my Kindle, or I might have been tempted to throw the book across the room.  ;)

Anyway, if I can get over this minor outburst of petulance, I will definitely give the book a go.  :thumbsup:

Still need to finish Umbrella first - started well but it's a book that requires alertness and an absence of distractions and I've not had a suitable opportunity to give it my full attention. In the meantime, I've knocked off Grace Dent's How To Leave Twitter (an amusing piece of doggerel that gives a few good laughs but feels like a newspaper column padded out into a book) and in a bid to exorcise the Ghost of Bookers Past*, I'm currently ploughing through Life Of Pi, which has been sitting gathering dust on my bookshelf for some years, so it's about time I read it. The first third, about Pi's early life in India, was a bit of a chore, but the middle third when he's on the boat, is much more fun and readable.

It's no Jamrach's Menagerie though.

d.

*I've read about a quarter of the Booker winners. I'm sure I won't like all of them, but I feel I ought to have read more of them.