Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846651 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2550 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:34:43 am »
No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden
By Mark Owen

I was waiting for this to become available, and as soon as it did, I snaffled it up... but then due to being engrossed in a six-part sci-fi series, I have only just read it.

It was well written, in an easy to digest way. The focus of the book is not the mission, but rather what led the author to be on the mission. I found it interesting to read about his life leading up to the mission and he, like many other ex-special forces authors I have read, doesn't paint himself as any kind of superman.

I was disappointed by the lack of detail, there was so little that I didn't learn anything about the US Navy SEAL DEVGRU that I didn't already know. Customised weapons, better NVGs and helmets, dedicated training areas etc. It is very apparent when reading that he is deliberately recounting pranks, experiences and BUD/S training to avoid talking about his time in DEVGRU.

He spoke eloquently of the odd kind of dislocation he and many others felt as they went out on the mission, having previously gone on two others to find Bin Laden which failed, then to return to the states in a kind of odd secret/politicians field day about the mission.

In summary, it was a fast, easy ready that was enjoyable and interesting, though lacking in depth. It was particularly interesting to learn that they killed Bin Laden without realising who it was until they were searching the house, and that it was then Plan B by default - as Plan A was capture him. Another point that struck me was the helicopter crash. The author was on the helo that lost power and crashed half onto the wall of the compound, instead of dropping the team onto the roof. This probably saved the lives of the team on board the crashed helo, because of the way that the building was defended.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2551 on: 08 October, 2012, 12:48:53 pm »
The Lighthouse by Alison Moore - Oh. My. Lord. I thought that 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes was good (it won last years) but this is one hell of a book. A man who is newly separated but middle-aged is taking a break and is embarking on a walking holiday in Germany. Whilst he looks back on his life, the woman who runs the B n'B is also contemplating her life and her marriage.

Youve piqued my interest, so I downloaded a sample to my Kindle. Interesting. Promising start, makes me want to read more. Except...

It opens with a description of the main character standing on the deck of a boat, and apparently he's "looking up at the waxing moon".

Gah!

This really irritates me. For two reasons: a) the author obviously doesn't know the meaning of the word "waxing" (her editor should have caught this) - the moon may well have been waxing but this is information is neither useful nor relevant (nor interesting) in the context; and b) it shows that she's just grasping for an adjective because she feels she needs one there rather than because it adds anything (I'm reminded of Elmore Leonard's ten rules for writing, though it was adverbs rather than adjectives that he proscribed).

I'm 50 pages into it and it's shaping up nicely.  I bought it partly because it was mentioned here and partly because the blurb likened the writing to Magnus Mills'.  The "waxing" thing struck me too (though not quite with the same force!), especially as the writing is generally so spare.  On the other hand, most things so far which have seemed otherwise unnecessary have linked up directly or thematically to something in the 'flashbacks' (for want of a better word) so I think it must have was dropped in there deliberately.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2552 on: 08 October, 2012, 01:08:30 pm »
I have departed from the Booker list, for now, as I realised I had no chance of reading the last three in 10 days or so, plus I got hold of a copy of Stephen Lawhead's The Spirit Well, book 3 of The Bright Empires series.  This is what I am reading now, it's good, very very good.

And just to confuse my poor little brain a bit more I had an Amazon delivery today, 2 books about Cultural and Social History of Catalonia and Bernard Cornwell's new book (1356).

Back to multitasking on the books, I think :)

Catalonia: A Cultural History by Michael Eaude has made me realise I need to work on a cultural bike route for Catalonia (not for next April, though the route planned may be tweeked slightly to fit some sights in, but for another date), to fit in Tarragona, Ripoll and Montserrat.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2553 on: 08 October, 2012, 01:44:51 pm »
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

Only 2 chapters into it with 3 very interesting characters already thoroughly introduced, with lots of potential for magically realistic strangeness downstream. I hope he wins the Nobel this year as he's the only one on the list I've ever read!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #2554 on: 12 October, 2012, 04:54:59 pm »
I have acquired a copy of Joseph Needham's Science and Civilisation in China, Volume 3 at a company 'Text Santa' sale. Goodness knows where it has come from! It is beautiful book, and the ink annotations of a previous owner only increase its appeal. Much of the content is, I fear, beyond me, but it's a classic I've known about since undergrad days and is wonderful to hold and leaf through

« Reply #2555 on: 12 October, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »
I had Tom Hollander reading JK Rowling's 'The Casual Vacancy' to me earlier this week.
I've missed Pagford since it finished.

« Reply #2556 on: 12 October, 2012, 05:44:17 pm »
Iain Bank's latest Culture novel - The Hydrogen Sonata

So far its another goody. Lots of ships with silly names in this one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #2557 on: 12 October, 2012, 05:50:11 pm »
After a run of Christopher Moore books (Fool, The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove & Bite Me: A Love Story) - all of which tickled my funny bone, I've started The Long Earth by Stephen Baxter & Terry Pratchett. Not bad so far.

Yay!
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #2558 on: 12 October, 2012, 06:24:29 pm »

Yay!

Best ones so far:

Just the Washing Instruction Chip in Life's Rich Tapestry - GSV
Outstanding Contribution to the Historical Process -  VFP ex Psychopath class warship.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2559 on: 12 October, 2012, 08:26:24 pm »
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

Only 2 chapters into it with 3 very interesting characters already thoroughly introduced, with lots of potential for magically realistic strangeness downstream. I hope he wins the Nobel this year as he's the only one on the list I've ever read!
I liked :-)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2560 on: 12 October, 2012, 09:20:35 pm »
Me too. I still have to get the 3rd part.

« Reply #2561 on: 14 October, 2012, 10:14:42 am »
I've just finished re-reading An Ungodly Child by Rachel Green.  The next instalment, Sons of Angels, has just been epublished and I wanted to revisit Laverstone before got into it as it's a couple of years since I read it the first time.

I'd forgotten how funny it is.  Not in a huge, punny way like Terry Pratchett or Piers Anthony, but with lots of little comments and links that made me laugh out loud.  It's fast-paced and light and an incredibly easy read!

I've also got the last of the Wallanders by Henning Mankell on audiobook for when I'm doing boring tasks like poo-picking, cleaning house, filing, etc.  It works surprisingly well and I've gone through the entire series like this.  In the original Swedish, or course.  It's been odd listening to them straight back to back but with different narrators!  Each one seems to put their own stamp on it in a way I hadn't appreciated before.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2562 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:17:17 pm »
"The Book of Nature Myths" by Florence Holbrook

Very interesting book filled with myths about nature.  Why do magpies make such terrible nests?  The answer is explained!

Seems to be mainly native american folklore.  Very interesting reading!

And free on amazon!   :)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2563 on: 15 October, 2012, 08:37:23 pm »
Have finished the Garden of the Evening Mists, the 4th book that I've read in the Booker Prize shortlist. Very beautiful it was and a good story but quite implausible in places.

I am 90 pages into Debeorah Levy's Swimming Home. Naked girl in swimming pool..blahblah...south of France....middle-class couples...blahblah. Perhaps I am missing something here but I am not getting it, a slightly more upmarket version of what some other non-descript author would do.

I am 300 pages into Wolf Hall, so have no chance of finishing it all by tomorrow night  :facepalm:

So my prediction to win: Umbrella by Will Self (Bookies favourite) but I would really like The Lighthouse to win. We shall see  :)

« Reply #2564 on: 15 October, 2012, 08:39:50 pm »
Contemplating obtaining new copy of les Grande meaulnes. (Dont lend books to people) Only book he wrote. Has stayed with me for decades.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2565 on: 15 October, 2012, 08:47:07 pm »
Only novel he published.
Getting there...

Jakob

« Reply #2566 on: 16 October, 2012, 08:53:54 am »
Just finished "The Right Stuff". Loved the subject matter, but the writing style almost stopped me from getting through the first couple of chapters.
Just started on Hamilton's "The Secret Race"..so far, so good.

« Reply #2567 on: 16 October, 2012, 10:13:50 am »
Contemplating obtaining new copy of les Grande meaulnes. (Dont lend books to people) Only book he wrote. Has stayed with me for decades.

Le Grand Meaulnes was done as a play on BBC radio a few years ago, very well, too.  It's a tragedy that Alain-Fournier was killed in WW1, only a year after his book was published.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2568 on: 16 October, 2012, 10:19:49 am »
I have started Private Games by James Patterson (and no, I can't get the "yes Mrs Patterson" out of my head :) )

OK so far, a bit gory but seems well written.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2569 on: 16 October, 2012, 10:26:32 am »
Still reading Slaughterhouse Five.  Still making me cry.
Getting there...

« Reply #2570 on: 16 October, 2012, 10:33:16 am »
Read The Secret Race last week (before all the USADA stuff came out) and just finishing 'A Life Too Short', a biog of the German goalkeeper, Robert Enke who walked in front of a train after suffering bouts depression. Real nice guy.  What a waste of a life.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2571 on: 16 October, 2012, 10:48:46 am »
Just finished "The Right Stuff". Loved the subject matter, but the writing style almost stopped me from getting through the first couple of chapters.

I found the same with this book – I was really looking forward to reading it and couldn’t believe that TW had managed to make such an exciting and interesting subject so dull, quite an achievement I thought. After I found myself reading page 47 for the fifth time I gave up. I still haven’t read it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2572 on: 16 October, 2012, 12:05:31 pm »
I am 300 pages into Wolf Hall, so have no chance of finishing it all by tomorrow night  :facepalm:

Well, you're doing much better than me - I'm still struggling with Umbrella, not because I don't like it but because I've got too much else on my mind and it's a book that requires full attention.

For a bit of light relief, I read Diary Of A Nobody over the weekend. Can't believe I've never read it before. Very funny. I never realised just how much Adrian Mole owes to Charles Pooter.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2573 on: 16 October, 2012, 12:14:17 pm »
A few years ago BBC 4 did an adaptation of Diary of a Nobody with Hugh Bonneville as Pooter.  It worked very well I remember.

« Reply #2574 on: 16 October, 2012, 12:55:24 pm »
It's one of Salvatore's favourites.  I like Pooter's Cummings and Gowing joke, and their reaction to it.  I get a lot of that myself.