Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846629 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2675 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:34:33 am »
Ned Beauman - The Teleportation Accident

I mentioned this a while ago as one I fancied (because I loved his first book, Boxer Beetle) and now I've got round to starting it, and it's turning out to be everything I hoped for. I'm always reluctant to describe a writer as original because as soon as you do, someone will come along and tell you where he lifted his ideas from, but as far as I can tell, Ned Beauman is one of the most original writers around at the moment. I love his style. Dazzlingly self-confident, brimming with ideas and oozing panache. He has a way with metaphor. And is very, very funny.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2676 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:38:06 am »
JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

No, I'm not twelve... but after taking the piss out of them for so long, I decided that I really should give JK Rowling half a chance and at least try one of the Harry Potter books. It's only fair, and I figured if I hated it then at least I'd have a reason to carry on taking the piss.

Y'know, it's really not that bad. Sure, it's not Shakespeare, but it's a decently entertaining read. I feel a bit bad for ripping into it so much in the past.

My only criticism so far isn't the book, but the cult it's spawned. You can't buy the Kindle ebook from Amazon UK, oh no. That'd be too simple. Instead, Amazon diverts you to "Pottermore", JK Rowling's own online store, and you have to buy it from there and then have it zapped to your Kindle (or other ebook reader of choice - they support a bunch of them). I wouldn't mind, but I had Amazon gift card credit to spend and instead I had to pay proper money.

I understand your frustration about the gift-card but I think it's great that a creative person seems to have retained control of their own work like this!

ian

« Reply #2677 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:17:45 am »
Blue Remembered Earth. I do try (and often fail) to like sci-fi, mostly due to sprawl. I'm pretty sure that there is a cabal of sci-fi authors and they have a competition to write as many words as possible. I mock your puny three 400k word volumes! This one does OK with a vivid near-future, but now I'm half-way through, it's just words. Lots of them. There's really no suspense or pace. I must have read about two hundred pages and all that's happened is someone found a glove and some pages ripped from a book (you know, if I was reading something like Slaughterhouse 5, I'd be finished now). OK, there's a nice core mystery there, something that ought to carry the plot forward, but there's really no momentum. Maybe it will pick up, but really, what I've read so far could have been squeezed into a single chapter and not lost anything.

(I do, for the record, think sci-fi books can be big, after all describing an entirely new universe or future can be worthy of lots of words, but those words do need to advance a story. Otherwise I'm reading a literal description of what might as well be a really big garden.)

fuzzy

« Reply #2678 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:27:44 am »
(I do, for the record, think sci-fi books can be big, after all describing an entirely new universe or future can be worthy of lots of words, but those words do need to advance a story. Otherwise I'm reading a literal description of what might as well be a really big garden.)

Along the lines of-

We landed on the planet, lets call it Nasty. Imagine the Amazon Jungle- well Nasty was like the Amazon Jungle but, not only did the Fauna all try to eat you, all the Flora did too. We were, to coin a phrase, up Shit Creek, without a paddle?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2679 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:39:10 am »
Just finished Bernard Cornwell's Grail Quest series and started on the Saxon series...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2680 on: 08 January, 2013, 03:49:21 pm »
The adventures of Tom Sawyer.

With such a lovely vivid description of a fly cleaning itself:

In the midst of the prayer a fly had lit on the back of the pew in front of him and tortured his spirit by calmly rubbing its hands together, embracing its head with its arms, and polishing it so vigorously that it seemed to almost part company with the body, and the slender thread of a neck was exposed to view; scraping its wings with its hind legs and smoothing them to its body as if they had been coat-tails; going through its whole toilet as tranquilly as if it knew it was perfectly safe.
   ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2681 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:58:34 am »
"Our Lady of the Sewers and Other Adventures in Deep Spain" by Paul Richardson.

Mentioned in a Catalan social history book I was reading, so I thought I would hunt out a copy.  Found one on Amazon (from Awesome Books in Wallingford, Oxon) for 1p +£2.80 delivery.  I picked up two of his other books at the same time "A Late Dinner: Discovering the Food of Spain" and "Indulgence: Around the World in Search of Chocolate" at the same price.  A quick recommendation for Awesome books, they sell on Library books that have been taken off the shelves (these three came from libraries in Scotland) and, I think, they understate the condition.  All three of these were listed as Good and they are near as dammit new (barring the library stamp sheet and Dewey codes on the spine).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2682 on: 09 January, 2013, 02:06:57 pm »
Just finished Bernard Cornwell's Grail Quest series and started on the Saxon series...
I enjoyed the grail series, but it'll be a few years before I can read any more of the sword wielding ones. They start to blur.

He's a very good formulaic writer, but I can only take so much formulaic writing. It's like Terry Pratchett, or eating chocolate. Very enjoyable, but one can have too much in one go.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

« Reply #2683 on: 09 January, 2013, 03:12:36 pm »
The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared ~ Jonas Jonasson.

This is currently 20p for Kindle so I've downloaded it.

Swedish oddness.

Tautology?

d.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2684 on: 09 January, 2013, 04:27:37 pm »
The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared ~ Jonas Jonasson.

This is currently 20p for Kindle so I've downloaded it.

+1. Seems rude not to, at that price :)

I am currently reading the Horologicon, by the same bloke (Mark Forsyth) who wrote The Etymologicon. Was also cheap for Kindle.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2685 on: 09 January, 2013, 04:54:37 pm »
Well, it seems to have transformed your syntax and grammar in 5 minutes flat ;)

« Reply #2686 on: 09 January, 2013, 07:11:07 pm »
Man walks into a pub by Pete Brown, quite good
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2687 on: 09 January, 2013, 07:14:54 pm »
Saw a man reading David Byrne's Bicycle Diaries on the plane this morning, which reminded me that there's a copy hiding under Pingu's side of the bed waiting for me to read...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2688 on: 10 January, 2013, 10:09:36 am »
Just started Jo Nesbo's latest, Phantom.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

« Reply #2689 on: 10 January, 2013, 10:11:11 am »
Just started Jo Nesbo's latest, Phantom.

Saw someone reading that on the train the other day, but having read, most recently, The Bat, I find his books a bit formulaic now.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2690 on: 10 January, 2013, 07:42:22 pm »
Having read Wonderful Fool, which I got from the library, then dug Silence from the bookshelves where it's been sitting since before she moved in & read it, Mrs B has got the Shusaku Endo bug. Three of his books arrived in the post today, & last night she bought a second hand copy of another one online, since no new copies were available.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2691 on: 12 January, 2013, 04:43:31 pm »
Rpderick Random, by Tobias Smollett.

« Reply #2692 on: 12 January, 2013, 07:57:30 pm »
round the world on a bicycle part 1 by tomas stevens . he rode a 50" ordinary cycle. free from amazon kindle  . intresting reading  :).
the slower you go the more you see

tiermat

« Reply #2693 on: 12 January, 2013, 08:01:13 pm »
round the world on a bicycle part 1 by tomas stevens . he rode a 50" ordinary cycle. free from amazon kindle  . intresting reading  :).

I started reading that a couple of years ago, online. Now have audiobook version on my tablet to listen to.

tiermat

« Reply #2694 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:55:10 am »
"Brief Encouters with Che Guvare", a collection of short stories, very good they are too.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2695 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:03:42 am »
Stonemouth ~ Iain Banks.  Not far into it yet but it seems promising.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2696 on: 16 January, 2013, 12:23:40 pm »
I don't like Roderick Random. He's arrogant, quarrelsome, violent & reckless. He has incredible good luck, which he persistently squanders. His only good quality that I can see is his generosity.

« Reply #2697 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:48:30 am »
Rule 34 by Charles Stross

<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #2698 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:49:39 am »
"The Food of Spain" by Claudia Roden.

Brilliant, it is.

citoyen

« Reply #2699 on: 21 January, 2013, 12:22:50 pm »
"The Food of Spain" by Claudia Roden.

Brilliant, it is.

Claudia Roden is my favourite food writer, and her Book Of Jewish Food is my favourite cookbook - partly because it's so much more than just a cookbook, it's a scholarly yet eminently readable guide to a whole culture. Magnificent. I don't know The Food Of Spain but I'd be willing to bet it deserves the "brilliant" rating.

Staying on the foodie theme (kind of), I'm currently reading John Saturnall's Feast by Lawrence Norfolk. Very good. Very "literary" (in an eating a block of butter with a spoon kind of way) but probably more accessible than is typical for Lawrence Norfolk.

d.