Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846673 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2800 on: 12 April, 2013, 11:19:44 am »
Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

Great. That's another one added to the never-diminishing to-read list...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2801 on: 12 April, 2013, 11:21:21 am »
Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

Great. That's another one added to the never-diminishing to-read list...

It's waffer-thin! ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #2802 on: 16 April, 2013, 07:49:11 pm »
I read that when I was in my late teens, which I think must have been before it was written!  Have you also read Go Tell It On The Mountain?  Different theme but same wonderful writing.

« Reply #2803 on: 18 April, 2013, 04:55:01 am »
Ho Chi Minh: A Life, by William Duiker. The author served in the US Embassy in Saigon for quite a few years during the war.

« Reply #2804 on: 18 April, 2013, 03:44:36 pm »
"Black Rain" by Masuji Ibuse, a re-read after many years.  Another I intend to revisit soon is "Andersonville" by McKinley Kantor. Both originally read in my late teens, when I had a wider ranging taste.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2805 on: 18 April, 2013, 07:27:20 pm »
The Poisonwood Bible by somebody Kingsolver. It was recommended to me on a feminist site and so far, it's great.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2806 on: 18 April, 2013, 07:54:31 pm »
Barbara, I think
Getting there...

« Reply #2807 on: 18 April, 2013, 09:24:00 pm »
The Poisonwood Bible by somebody Kingsolver. It was recommended to me on a feminist site and so far, it's great.

(My) Barbara once asked by one of our male friends in a pub about equality for women replied "equality ? why should I take a step down" stopped him in his tracks  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #2808 on: 20 April, 2013, 06:21:57 pm »
Shantaram . Its a great read . :thumbsup:

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #2809 on: 23 April, 2013, 02:23:05 pm »
I've just read Poisonwood Bible. I liked it. Made me realise I know nothing about recent history in Africa.

Obviously that was too much literature for me as I then read 'The Long Walk', Stephen King's earliest 'Bachman' book. It's like an extreme vision of LEL. I reckon he must have read some back issues of Arrivee before writing it. Great descriptions of the thousand-yard stares, the way no one can eat at 3am, the horrible things that happen to your leg muscles, weird hallucinations...the only thing they don't do is sleep in bus shelters because they're not allowed to stop.....I'd read it before, but didn't remember much of it apart from the basic premise. It was years ago, before I had heard of audax...
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

fuzzy

« Reply #2810 on: 23 April, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »
I've just read Poisonwood Bible. I liked it. Made me realise I know nothing about recent history in Africa.

Obviously that was too much literature for me as I then read 'The Long Walk', Stephen King's earliest 'Bachman' book. It's like an extreme vision of LEL. I reckon he must have read some back issues of Arrivee before writing it. Great descriptions of the thousand-yard stares, the way no one can eat at 3am, the horrible things that happen to your leg muscles, weird hallucinations...the only thing they don't do is sleep in bus shelters because they're not allowed to stop.....I'd read it before, but didn't remember much of it apart from the basic premise. It was years ago, before I had heard of audax...

The Long Walk and Running Man are great reads IMHO

Thinner wasn't to my taste.

citoyen

« Reply #2811 on: 23 April, 2013, 02:54:20 pm »
The Sea, The Sea - Iris Murdoch

Another who has slipped through my net until now - never read any of her stuff before, but following a discussion elsewhere, decided I ought to rectify that... but where to start with such a prolific writer? Decided to go for the one that one the Booker... I'm enjoying it so far, though it's very much of that self-consciously literary style so loved by Booker judges, so hated by many others. Some really lovely passages though:-

I told her that the affair was temporary, that my love for her was temporary, and doubtless her love for me was temporary. I spoke of mortality and the fragile and shadowy nature of human arrangements and the jumbled unreality of human minds, while her large light brown eyes spoke to me of the eternal.

I think that quote also gives a pretty good idea of what a piece of shit the narrator is. I really don't like him - but then I get the feeling I'm not supposed to.

Some interesting points of comparison with books I've already read that were written later - eg it's similar in some ways to a more recent Booker winner, Julian Barnes's Sense Of An Ending, in that it's about an old man reflecting on his life and not being wholly honest (or self-aware) in his portrayal of himself. Likewise its near namesake, John Banville's The Sea - also a Booker winner, funnily enough. Possibly not as compelling as either of those books though.

There are also some brilliantly daft descriptions of food that remind me of American Psycho in the way they serve to highlight the narrator's pretentions.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2812 on: 24 April, 2013, 10:16:45 am »
A History Of The World In Twelve Maps ~ Jerry Brotton.  Only just started it in spite of it having been a Christmas present :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2813 on: 24 April, 2013, 10:44:50 am »

Another who has slipped through my net until now - never read any of her stuff before

Try "Under The Net" then!  Quite an early one, I think.

citoyen

« Reply #2814 on: 24 April, 2013, 11:27:20 am »

Another who has slipped through my net until now - never read any of her stuff before

Try "Under The Net" then!  Quite an early one, I think.

Arf!

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2815 on: 01 May, 2013, 08:31:41 am »
Dark Waters by Jason Lewis.

In a nutshell: set off round the world on the first human-powered circumnavigation. Thought it would take three years. It took 13. Cycled to Portugal, pedalled a boat across the Atlantic, roller-bladed across the US. Was hit by a drunk driver, broke both legs and was left for dead. Took three years recovering. Returned to the place of the accident, started again. Pedalled from San Francisco to Hawaii. His mate left him. He pedalled with others to Asia, rode and walked across India, pedalled across to Africa, rode home. This is the first of a trilogy.
There is this, which sort of sums up a lot of the trip, and our celebrity culture:

http://bit.ly/WeqUV4

He's on Midweek at 9am this morning with Libby Purvis
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2816 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:20:49 am »
Didn't take my ebook to Spain (to save weight, a big mistake), so am now catching up on reading.

I started reading "How to be a Woman" by Caitlin Moran.  funny in places, but soon gets very repetitive (there are only so many amusing anecdotes you can have about fannies) so I gave up and am now reading "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne.

I also need to go through and re-organise all my books on my reader into collections (Sonys don't use folders, per se, they use collections to organise things)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2817 on: 01 May, 2013, 11:58:34 am »
Didn't take my ebook to Spain (to save weight, a big mistake), so am now catching up on reading.

I did, it killed it. Big mistake. ;)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #2818 on: 01 May, 2013, 12:50:37 pm »
The Blackhouse - first book in the 'Lewis' trilogy by Peter May. Murder on the Isle of Lewis? I bet it was a white settler that dunit  ;D

LindaG

« Reply #2819 on: 01 May, 2013, 04:17:26 pm »
Gardisil by Adam Roberts. I'm only finishing it 'cos I started it. I wish I would hurry up about it. It isn't very good.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2820 on: 01 May, 2013, 04:46:11 pm »
In between numerous telephone interviews today (3 for the SAME company) I have read more of "Empire of the Summer Moon".

Although very good, I don't think my head is in the right place for such a tome at the moment, so it's going on the back burner.

Instead I am reading "The Courier's New Bicycle" by Kim Westwood, a sort of post-apocolyptic tail set in Melbourne.  Good so far.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2821 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:39:33 pm »

Instead I am reading "The Courier's New Bicycle" by Kim Westwood, a sort of post-apocolyptic tail set in Melbourne.  Good so far.

Is he a bit of a wag ?  :demon:

citoyen

« Reply #2822 on: 02 May, 2013, 10:51:12 am »
Them by Jon Ronson.

Hilarious. I enjoyed The Psychopath Test and The Men Who Stare At Goats and this is more of the same, ie if you like Jon Ronson, you'll like it; if you don't like Jon Ronson, you'll hate it. (See also: David Sedaris, Cory Doctorow.)

« Reply #2823 on: 02 May, 2013, 03:50:54 pm »
I really liked Them (I'm a Ronson fan), though seem to have mislaid my copy, or not had it returned by someone I lent it to.  So I can't check whether my memory is correct about the book ending with JR interviewing Dennis Healey about the Bilderburg Group, and DH finishing the interview by telling JR to F off.

citoyen

« Reply #2824 on: 02 May, 2013, 04:52:32 pm »
I haven't got that far yet, but I think I've heard that story before.