Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846616 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2925 on: 08 August, 2013, 12:27:12 pm »
I am at present reading an entertaining little bit of fluff found by serendipity on Amazon. At the start of the fifties, a bored and incompetent civil servant marks some surplus equipment down "for storage" and accidentally sends it to the back of beyond, where it is actually looked after rather well as a labour of love, in a mechanic's garage.
Then something goes nasty in international politics, and the three Sherman Firefly tanks with their stack of seriously powerful armour-piercing ammunition are finally remembered.
In their little garage in Port Stanley, in 1982.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00COBGLLA#_
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2926 on: 11 August, 2013, 01:45:42 pm »
I'm sorry, I wrote Tiermat instead of citoyen, my bad :(

Don't worry, I'll take it as a compliment. ;)

I've finally got round to starting Wolf Hall. Oh boy, this is good. Was slightly sceptical it could live up to the hype but I love it. Simply gorgeous writing of the kind you want to wallow in and forget everything else. Why on earth have I left it so long to get around to it?

Also really interesting to read a version of events with Cromwell as the good guy and More as the baddie, although perhaps one of the best features of the book is that the characters are a lot more complex and rounded than that. I just wish I didn't already know that they're all* going to end with their heads chopped off.

*well, quite a few of them.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #2927 on: 11 August, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »
I am at present reading an entertaining little bit of fluff found by serendipity on Amazon.

Must say that sounds rather appealing. :thumbsup:

« Reply #2928 on: 14 August, 2013, 11:48:37 pm »
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #2929 on: 21 August, 2013, 02:25:00 pm »
Splendid news:

http://tinyurl.com/l9bjdkb

Well, 13 years dead she doesn't look any worse

« Reply #2930 on: 21 August, 2013, 02:25:47 pm »
Anyone (with a Kindle) on the lookout for holiday reading could do worse than search for  Megapack

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D341689031&field-keywords=megapack

Some great stuff, mostly for less than 50p. A lot of SF/Fantasy/Horror, but some other stuff too

Hell's teeth! Are you trying to bankrupt me? Only 34p a time is too tempting but they soon add up...  ;D

That's dangerous stuff !   There's authors in those SF collections I've not read since I was a teenager haunting my local library!

Sorry bout that folks  ;D

I thoroughly enjoyed them on my hols

« Reply #2931 on: 22 August, 2013, 08:31:49 pm »
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert JK Rowling Galbraith. I was just finishing the second Game of Thrones book when the library emailed to say my reservation for The Cuckoo's Calling was ready for collection, so I'm taking a break from swords and incest. I started it last night, read three chapters, so far, so good.
It saw me round our route check 300 this week: 14 annabit hours for each of them. I liked it, apart from the extended reveal at the end, I found that a bit unconvincingly 1930s/Agatha Christie. Good narrator, which is important for those of us who can't DIY.

« Reply #2932 on: 24 August, 2013, 10:07:35 am »
Got the sample version of the first Jo Nesbo Harry Hole book last night to try.
Glad I didn't pay for it, the writing seems a bit wooden.... do they get better?

I picked this up on sale while I was on holidays.  I thought it was dreadful and didn't finish it (very rare for me).  I have, however, passed it on to VeloYellow who is perservering with it and will let me know if it improves.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #2933 on: 25 August, 2013, 10:00:51 pm »
I am at present reading an entertaining little bit of fluff found by serendipity on Amazon. At the start of the fifties, a bored and incompetent civil servant marks some surplus equipment down "for storage" and accidentally sends it to the back of beyond, where it is actually looked after rather well as a labour of love, in a mechanic's garage.
Then something goes nasty in international politics, and the three Sherman Firefly tanks with their stack of seriously powerful armour-piercing ammunition are finally remembered.

I'm just trying to imagine the effect of 17-pdr APCBC on LVTP-7s. I think I'd feel rather sorry for the occupants.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

« Reply #2934 on: 26 August, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
The Good Soldier - Ford Madox Ford

Brilliant in every detail. Exquisite writing. Much easier to read than Parade's End (and a fraction of the length). I'd recommend it to anyone who likes F Scott Fitzgerald - it's easily as good as The Great Gatsby, only more English.

Not that it's a particularly likeable read - the four main protagonists appear not to have a single redeeming feature between them.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2935 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:21:21 pm »

Thanks for the recommendation Steph. I enjoyed reading that.
(click to show/hide)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Ruth

« Reply #2936 on: 30 August, 2013, 05:34:52 pm »
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Finished "Born to Run" a couple of days ago.  On the one hand, I read it in under 3 days and it would have been 1 only I kept finishing a chapter and then going for a run, or doing something else active, from the sheer inspiration it provided.  On the other hand, it's a melodramatic and sentimental piece of gonzo hackwork with such a cavalier attitude to scientific method and so lacking in intellectual rigour that any copy would, I'm sure, burst into flames as soon as Ben Goldacre tried to pick it up.

None of which will dissuade me from running barefoot.

I've just finished this.

Charlotte's post led me to The Oatmeal's rather beautiful comic, which led me to want to read this book.

So I was at Gate 46 at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris, delayed by 40 minutes, and the guy sitting next to me was within ten pages of the end of this book.  So I said to him, "'Scuse me, but I've been wanting to read that book for ages, and I can see you've nearly finished it, so if you get through it before we board, please can I have it?"

Canadians are so polite.  I don't think they know how to refuse.  They say 'sorry' even more than the British.  So he speed-read the end of his book and gave it to me.

It's great, and it is inspiring, and it kind of explained to me why, when I run, I go into a kind of meditative trance.  In common with many people, my relationship with my body is often difficult.  Running, almost as much as cycling, allows me to take ownership of my body, and to like it.  Physical activity is a healing thing, mentally and spiritually, and if you take McDougall's hypothesis that the human body is meant to do endurance sport, it makes sense that this should be so.

My body likes running.  I feel really free when I'm running.

I recommend this book.

It made me think of the disparity in the take-up of endurance sports between men and women, and how sad it is that even more women than men have no access to something that would make them more whole. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2937 on: 30 August, 2013, 05:57:57 pm »
The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall. Haven't read it before. Nearly cried on the bus when
(click to show/hide)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2938 on: 30 August, 2013, 08:40:32 pm »
It made me think of the disparity in the take-up of endurance sports between men and women, and how sad it is that even more women than men have no access to something that would make them more whole.
I'm not sure that's true-for sure endurance cycling is overwhelmingly a man thing, but that's not true of running. Lady Cav will confirm but I'm pretty sure that running, right up to stupid distances, is much closer to 50:50.

Anyway, I've downloaded the book.

Ruth

« Reply #2939 on: 30 August, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »
I'm not sure that's true-for sure endurance cycling is overwhelmingly a man thing, but that's not true of running. Lady Cav will confirm but I'm pretty sure that running, right up to stupid distances, is much closer to 50:50.

Really?  I didn't know that.  It's good news.  Thanks fboab.  :)

Steph

« Reply #2940 on: 31 August, 2013, 01:14:09 am »

One of the overwhelming impressions in long-distance cycling, particularly at a steady cadence, is what Gordy and myself have agreed leads to the "Zen Road", where you don't realise how tired your legs are till you stop. It allows you to drift off into all sorts of meditative states, and that is why I have used the idea in a couple of my books, as I see it as gender-neutral. One character in particular, Sarah Powell, alternates that sort of cycling, used to let her clear her mind, with track days at Lydden Circuit on a 600cc Kwak, where she gets to dispose of some of her anger.

Steph

« Reply #2941 on: 31 August, 2013, 01:16:51 am »

I'm just trying to imagine the effect of 17-pdr APCBC on LVTP-7s. I think I'd feel rather sorry for the occupants.

(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #2942 on: 02 September, 2013, 05:29:18 pm »
Bring Up The Bodies.

Not enjoying it quite as much as Wolf Hall, tbh - it's been a bit slow to get going. But now, about two thirds of the way through, it's all about to kick off...

« Reply #2943 on: 02 September, 2013, 06:02:39 pm »
I had Hugh Howey's Wool, on yesterday's ride.

Liked it.

Stories to ride to is a tough ask, sometimes. This one worked. Sometimes they require far too much attention.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2944 on: 02 September, 2013, 07:40:11 pm »
Stowaway to Mars by John Wyndham.  Published in 1936 - set in the 1980s when British inventors would build rocket ships to travel to Mars!   ;D

citoyen

« Reply #2945 on: 04 September, 2013, 08:24:22 am »

Bring Up The Bodies.

Not enjoying it quite as much as Wolf Hall, tbh - it's been a bit slow to get going. But now, about two thirds of the way through, it's all about to kick off...

...and I'm pleased to report that the final third is simply breathtaking. After spending the first two thirds of the book mostly observing the behaviour of others, getting a feel for which way the wind is blowing, deciding which set of schemers to ally himself to, Cromwell in the final third becomes a man of action. And being Cromwell, his actions are swift, terrifying and decisive...

To say much more would risk spoilers - which seems a slightly odd thing to say about a historical novel where the fate of the main characters is preordained, but that's part of Hilary Mantel's genius as a writer, to make this well-worn material so fresh and alive with a sense of immediacy.

spindrift

« Reply #2946 on: 04 September, 2013, 09:05:14 am »
Victoria Hislop's collection of short stories about Greece. Utter rubbish, lazy pointless stories badly told for cash from gullible tourists like me, didn't even finish it, gave it to the receptionist.

LEE

« Reply #2947 on: 04 September, 2013, 09:07:27 am »
Killing Floor by Lee Childs (1st Jack Reacher novel)

Only just started it and I'm hooked.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2948 on: 04 September, 2013, 09:17:55 am »
Oh dear!

There are lots of Reacher books.

They are all the same, but the adiction has set in and you will read and enjoy them all. Once you have finished them you will crave the release of the next one.

DAHIKT
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2949 on: 04 September, 2013, 09:56:34 am »
Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq by Kirsten Holmstedt

The author has gathered the stories of a number of women, who were in direct combat, during the Iraq War. Each woman is described in a short biography which includes a couple of their defining moments.

The writing style is very biographical, focussed on describing the woman and her experience rather than a blow-by-blow account of what happened. Holmstedt has interviewed officers and enlisted personnel from the Air Force, Army, Navy and Marine Corps; she also tends to include a quote from each subject's closest comrade.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart