Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846639 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2950 on: 04 September, 2013, 10:08:57 am »
Oh dear!

There are lots of Reacher books.

They are all the same, but the adiction has set in and you will read and enjoy them all. Once you have finished them you will crave the release of the next one.

DAHIKT

Not necessarily if the initial one was the Kindle freebie and you have a virtual shelf full of other stuff..........

I'm quite good at resisting full price books, although the other night I decided I just couldn't live one minute longer without some Annie Proulx on the Kindle (no matter that I have them all in ancient parchment format. Alcohol may have been implicated.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2951 on: 04 September, 2013, 10:35:46 am »
I'm quite good at resisting full price books, although the other night I decided I just couldn't live one minute longer without some Annie Proulx on the Kindle (no matter that I have them all in ancient parchment format. Alcohol may have been implicated.

Same here - I currently have about 400 books on my Amazon wishlist, all books that I'd quite like to read but I've already got enough on my kindle to keep me going for a couple of years, so I don't need to ever buy a book at full price unless it's something I really, really want.

And because my wishlist is being tracked by ereaderiq, I got an email this morning informing me that The Damned Utd is currently available for 99p. :thumbsup:

I have a few Annie Proulx on my wishlist but I can live without them for the time being. And I have a policy of staying away from Amazon and iTunes after drinking...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2952 on: 04 September, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »
"The Song Before It Is Sung" by Justin Cartwright. I've read two of his other novels and like all three

« Reply #2953 on: 04 September, 2013, 01:56:01 pm »

Same here - I currently have about 400 books on my Amazon wishlist, all books that I'd quite like to read but I've already got enough on my kindle to keep me going for a couple of years, so I don't need to ever buy a book at full price unless it's something I really, really want.

And because my wishlist is being tracked by ereaderiq, I got an email this morning informing me that The Damned Utd is currently available for 99p. :thumbsup:

I have a few Annie Proulx on my wishlist but I can live without them for the time being. And I have a policy of staying away from Amazon and iTunes after drinking...

YOU BASTARD. You knew there was a Lee Child for 99p as well didn't you? No? Hah! got my own back.

citoyen

« Reply #2954 on: 04 September, 2013, 02:38:18 pm »
Lee Child isn't on my wishlist.

I'm sure his books are as good as everyone says they are, but I remain untempted. My loss.

« Reply #2955 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:49:14 pm »
If I had been taking more careful notice instead of paying half my attention to the conference call I was on I would have noticed that Lee Metcalfe had morphed into you, my apologies. Carry on.

ETA: I think I have to leave that Paul/ Lee Child / Metcalfe boo-boo in place for posterity

citoyen

« Reply #2956 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:55:24 pm »
I shall take it as a compliment.

LEE

« Reply #2957 on: 04 September, 2013, 04:47:12 pm »
Lee Child isn't on my wishlist.

I'm sure his books are as good as everyone says they are, but I remain untempted. My loss.

I started this Reacher novel after finishing "The Bourne Identity" by Ludlum.  I have no idea who read "Bourne" and thought it was worth making a film of it because it's a terrible read.  Kudos to the director for making such an exciting film out of such a tedious tome.

The opposite seems true of the Tom Cruise film of Reacher and I'm already thinking "who thought Tom Cruise was ideal for this?".

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2958 on: 04 September, 2013, 05:23:26 pm »
The Memory of Whiteness, by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's basically a so-so crime story set against a background of musical theory and creative physics. Only just not boring.

Best reads this year were Simon Raven' Alms for Oblivion series and Ford Madox Ford's Parade's End. Both monumental.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #2959 on: 04 September, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »

Best reads this year were Simon Raven' Alms for Oblivion series and Ford Madox Ford's Parade's End. Both monumental.

My dad has been trying to get me to read Alms For Oblivion for ages. As per previous post, they're on my wishlist pending price drops.

Parade's End is just magnificent. Also one of my top reads this year. Would be one of my top reads of any year, tbh.

citoyen

« Reply #2960 on: 05 September, 2013, 08:52:42 am »
God Bless You, Mr Rosewater - Kurt Vonnegut

I am mostly crying with laughter at lines like:
"Eliot took a drink of Southern Comfort, was uncomforted."

Also slightly shocked that a book written in 1965 could so easily pass for a book written in and about 2013.

Ruth

« Reply #2961 on: 05 September, 2013, 08:54:50 am »
Thanks citoyen. You have reminded me to revisit KVJ - something I've been meaning to do for a while  :)

spindrift

« Reply #2962 on: 05 September, 2013, 09:28:31 am »
The Radleys, quite a funny novel about suburban vampires.

Woman in Berlin, harrowing, anonymous, true, about the fall and arrival of the Russians.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2963 on: 05 September, 2013, 09:31:32 am »
Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell.

Only started this the other night, and so far it's the bog standard "I was in Iraq/Afganistan/wherever and you don't understand what it is was like, but I was proud to server my country and my president" kind of book which seem to be 10 a penny at the moment.

It's very lightweight, there are better out there, I may end up abandoning it and switching to "The History of Spain"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2964 on: 05 September, 2013, 10:23:25 am »
God Bless You, Mr Rosewater - Kurt Vonnegut

I am mostly crying with laughter at lines like:
"Eliot took a drink of Southern Comfort, was uncomforted."

Also slightly shocked that a book written in 1965 could so easily pass for a book written in and about 2013.
Thanks citoyen. You have reminded me to revisit KVJ - something I've been meaning to do for a while  :)
Earlier this year I read listened to The Universe Versus Alex Woods, in which the hero is an admirer, and sets up a Kurt Vonnegut Book Club. I've been meaning to add them to my wishlist, too.

citoyen

« Reply #2965 on: 05 September, 2013, 10:25:16 am »
To my shame, I'm a latecomer to Vonnegut's genius. I only read Slaughterhouse-Five for the first time last year, so I'm playing catch-up. I think I always had a vague misconception that I wouldn't like his stuff. How much more wrong could I be!

The Universe vs Alex Woods sounds fun. Another one added to the never-diminishing wishlist...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2966 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:42:04 am »
Odd, that.  I always enjoy Vonnegut's writing more than I expect to.
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2967 on: 05 September, 2013, 12:38:42 pm »
First book (out of eleven*) to do with wizards 'n' magic 'n' stuff that my son suggested I read, by somebody Goodwood (or something). "Wizard's first rule." I've remembered the title at least!

Tempted to say: "What's the first rule of Wizard's Club?"

*I think they're all of the 'doorstop'-type thickness.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Ruth

« Reply #2968 on: 05 September, 2013, 04:28:19 pm »
All the Narnia books. In one volume, nicked off the kids' bookshelf.

Most enjoyable and comforting.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #2969 on: 05 September, 2013, 06:01:12 pm »
Just finished Eastern Standard Tribe by Cory Doctorow & have just started Exiles, the second Uplift trilogy by David Brin (which is such a breezeblock it's making an e-reader very tempting...)
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

spindrift

« Reply #2970 on: 06 September, 2013, 11:10:57 am »
Let The Right One In.

The film was pretty faithful, there's more back-story in the book, some of it stomach-churning.

citoyen

« Reply #2971 on: 06 September, 2013, 03:04:13 pm »
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce

Dear god... someone please tell me it improves because, after 12% read, I fear I might puke if I have to read much more of this tripe.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2972 on: 06 September, 2013, 04:51:10 pm »
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce

Dear god... someone please tell me it improves because, after 12% read, I fear I might puke if I have to read much more of this tripe.

I read the first few pages on Amazon. Reminds me of The Missing Postman, but that was great and had a bike in it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

spindrift

« Reply #2973 on: 06 September, 2013, 04:55:20 pm »
I didn't mind it, it started as a Radio 4 play with Anna Massey.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2974 on: 06 September, 2013, 04:55:40 pm »
Earlier this year I read listened to The Universe Versus Alex Woods, in which the hero is an admirer, and sets up a Kurt Vonnegut Book Club. I've been meaning to add them to my wishlist, too.
I've read the Amazon preview and purchased. Thx.
216km from Marsh Gibbon