Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846710 times)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #3450 on: 22 August, 2014, 01:41:50 pm »
Quite enjoyed Lisbeth Salander getting her revenge on her guardian, but that's about the only moment of excitement so far.

Ah, that Thingummy Wotsit.  I thought you meant Pearl Earring (and yes, reference to translation should have put me right on that).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3451 on: 22 August, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »
Ah, that Thingummy Wotsit.

Yeah, and I've got the other two Thingummy Wotsits to read as well, though I'm not inclined to bother at the moment. Maybe the Pearl Earring would have been a better bet.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3452 on: 22 August, 2014, 07:03:56 pm »
Ah, that Thingummy Wotsit.

Yeah, and I've got the other two Thingummy Wotsits to read as well, though I'm not inclined to bother at the moment. Maybe the Pearl Earring would have been a better bet.
The first one is about 10 times slower then the 2nd. I still don't know how I finished it°

Must read the 3rd Wotsit sometime ...

°oh OK, this was before I realised the world wouldn't end if I DNFed a book :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3453 on: 22 August, 2014, 07:07:06 pm »
I read the first 2 thingywotsits and gave up as I really didn't care what happened.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

fuzzy

« Reply #3454 on: 22 August, 2014, 07:43:07 pm »
Got to a point in Thingummy Wotsit the First where our hero dude arrived at the island, met a few people then I decided my BRANE would turn to wibbly wobbly jelly if I continued so I put the book down. It stayed down.

« Reply #3455 on: 22 August, 2014, 10:22:25 pm »
'Triton'*, by Samuel R. Delany. Triton is a novel that offers several conflicting perspectives on the concept of utopia, and explores how sexuality and sexual attitudes relate to the socioeconomic underpinnings of society. It's also a bit of a mind-screw...

* Also published as 'Trouble on Triton: An Ambiguous Heterotopia'
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3456 on: 24 August, 2014, 08:29:13 pm »
Efficient Android Threading.  Yes, it is as dull as the title suggests. What's worse it cost the thick end of 40 quid.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #3457 on: 24 August, 2014, 10:37:40 pm »
Thomas Piketty's - Capital in the 21st Century

Quite a well structured book that seems to be heading for a big conclusion, that I haven't got to yet.

citoyen

« Reply #3458 on: 29 August, 2014, 08:42:49 am »
Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

Oh, Kurt, you funny genius. I'm beginning to think Vonnegut was the only truly sane person who ever lived.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3459 on: 29 August, 2014, 08:46:38 am »
Finished "On Gold Mountain", whilst on holiday.

Then started something unmemorable on the ebook.  This holiday didn't really give me much chance to read so it stayed not really read.  Upon returning home I started, and have nearly finished "Spanish Steps" by Tim Moore, the story of him doing the Camino with a donkey, called Shinto.  It is slow to start, but gets better as it goes on and is laugh out loud funny in places.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #3460 on: 29 August, 2014, 02:47:59 pm »
I read the first 2 thingywotsits and gave up as I really didn't care what happened.

I gave up after the first one. I'm not sure why I read that, I'd seen the movie and that was dull too. I think it was 99p and I'd run out of suitable airport books. Their popularity eludes me.

citoyen

« Reply #3461 on: 29 August, 2014, 03:17:06 pm »

I gave up after the first one. I'm not sure why I read that, I'd seen the movie and that was dull too. I think it was 99p and I'd run out of suitable airport books. Their popularity eludes me.

It was marginally better than Dan Brown, I'll give it that. And reading tosh like that at least serves to highlight just how flipping good a writer Kurt Vonnegut is by comparison.

Here's a sample line from Cat's Cradle that I highlighted this morning:
"The stop-and-go signs, garish ghosts in the sleet, went through their irrelevant tomfoolery again and again, telling the glacier of automobiles what to do."

About as perfect a description of a traffic jam as you'll ever read in so few words. It's almost poetry. I'll give Stieg Larsson a certain amount of benefit of the doubt - I'm sure his prose isn't quite as lumpish in the original Swedish - but if he could actually write, he could have made his book about 200 pages shorter.

« Reply #3462 on: 29 August, 2014, 05:28:57 pm »

It was marginally better than Dan Brown, I'll give it that. And reading tosh like that at least serves to highlight just how flipping good a writer Kurt Vonnegut is by comparison.

Here's a sample line from Cat's Cradle that I highlighted this morning:
"The stop-and-go signs, garish ghosts in the sleet, went through their irrelevant tomfoolery again and again, telling the glacier of automobiles what to do."

About as perfect a description of a traffic jam as you'll ever read in so few words. It's almost poetry. I'll give Stieg Larsson a certain amount of benefit of the doubt - I'm sure his prose isn't quite as lumpish in the original Swedish - but if he could actually write, he could have made his book about 200 pages shorter.

It's poetry all right - especially compared with much "poetry"!  Bet Bob Dylan has read it!

red marley

« Reply #3463 on: 29 August, 2014, 06:05:10 pm »
Clearly there are differing views on what makes a good read as expressed on this thread. But one of the reasons I often feel reluctant to post what I'm reading is that the standards applied to the written word in the critiques here seems much higher than they are for, say films or television. Kurt Vonnegut may well be a writer with an order of magnitude more skill and depth than Brown or Larsson (my experience is limited to Slaughterhouse 5, the Girl With... trilogy and da Vinci Code, all of which I enjoyed at the time in different ways), but one could say the same about Ingmar Bergman vs James Gunn or Dennis Potter vs Steven Moffat.

For what it's worth, my last two reads were Sex Lives of Siamese Twins (a somewhat grim but comic take on body image and weight gain/loss in American culture) and then 'Surviving the Evacuation' - a self-published Zombiefiction effort from Amazon (technically rather unimaginative writing, but good immersive fun).

Because I am less aware of the craft of good writing than many, I tend to look for books that I can get lost in, which often means hitting the Richard and Judy Book Club and page turning popular fiction. I'd like to feel less embarrassed about that, but I struggle.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3464 on: 29 August, 2014, 06:43:56 pm »
Jo I'm in the same boat as you. I tend to read two kinds of books. Firstly the page turning fiction/sf-fi/comedy that sucks me in and hopefully gives me a roaring belly laugh on a bus or scares the crap out of me.

Secondly I read about stuff that takes my interest as in learning new stuff, though most times I forget, but not the manual kind. Being that biography about cyclists, about special forces, cycle touring accounts, how serial killers think, how the brain works etc.

But for the life of me, I can't tell you if it is a well written book that got such and such award and raised an eyebrow.  As long it make me turn a page it is a good book, it's ecapeism for me.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3465 on: 29 August, 2014, 06:59:38 pm »
... the standards applied to the written word in the critiques here seems much higher than they are for, say films or television. Kurt Vonnegut may well be a writer with an order of magnitude more skill and depth than Brown or Larsson (my experience is limited to Slaughterhouse 5, the Girl With... trilogy and da Vinci Code, all of which I enjoyed at the time in different ways), but one could say the same about Ingmar Bergman vs James Gunn or Dennis Potter vs Steven Moffat.
Yes, I found that a bit odd.

I, too, adore many Vonnegut books; but I'm not about to throw out all our other books that aren't really as good!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3466 on: 29 August, 2014, 07:23:32 pm »
My lightweight amusing page-turner
bookoftheweek:
books.google.co.uk/books/about/Mr_Penumbra_s_24_Hour_Bookstore.html?id=7QuIvZcgoQEC&redir_esc=y
(Choice of website not an accident)

Covers all the bases:
Some history of printing,
Jokes about modern tech,
A DanBrown-style plot (shock!)
Genius-level geeks
A 24h -print-only - bookstore

And it was in the
New York Times top-100
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #3467 on: 29 August, 2014, 07:43:41 pm »
Keith Richards "Life" (he of The Stones) I certainly share his opinion of dentistry in the 1950's and still have a terror of them like him
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

ian

« Reply #3468 on: 29 August, 2014, 07:50:57 pm »
Clearly there are differing views on what makes a good read as expressed on this thread. But one of the reasons I often feel reluctant to post what I'm reading is that the standards applied to the written word in the critiques here seems much higher than they are for, say films or television. Kurt Vonnegut may well be a writer with an order of magnitude more skill and depth than Brown or Larsson (my experience is limited to Slaughterhouse 5, the Girl With... trilogy and da Vinci Code, all of which I enjoyed at the time in different ways), but one could say the same about Ingmar Bergman vs James Gunn or Dennis Potter vs Steven Moffat.

For what it's worth, my last two reads were Sex Lives of Siamese Twins (a somewhat grim but comic take on body image and weight gain/loss in American culture) and then 'Surviving the Evacuation' - a self-published Zombiefiction effort from Amazon (technically rather unimaginative writing, but good immersive fun).

Because I am less aware of the craft of good writing than many, I tend to look for books that I can get lost in, which often means hitting the Richard and Judy Book Club and page turning popular fiction. I'd like to feel less embarrassed about that, but I struggle.

I truly have no shame when it comes to entertainment choices. Admittedly I was recently petarded by Dan Brown, a challenge I thought I was ready for, but sadly wasn't. Like trying to climb Everest in just a pair of candy-pink flipflops. I think many people put a lot of effort into reading stuff that bolsters their intellectual self-image. I can't think of any other reason else for someone to read an entire Martin Amis novel (and look what that wannabe enfant terrible did this time). I fear my Ikea bookshelves couldn't support those weighty hardbacks bursting with groaning, overwrought prose. I can't do the entire literary genre, all those Bookeresque worthies leave me cold. I read a chapter of Bring Up the Bodies and I couldn't help but think how much it would be improved by zombies. And I don't even like zombies. It's like being chased by shambling Morrissey fans. Anything that can be defeated by a spade or just walking reasonably fast is not a worthy adversary. But after about ten pages I was praying for zombies.

I'm reading Nightmare by Stephen Leather at the moment because I figure what more does a man need while he's slowly pickling in the bath, wrapped in the heady aroma of Badedas (or as it's called in my house, Badass, and it's ace because it makes the water lurid green), other than a bit of devil worshipping tomfoolery. It's alright, prose occasionally clunks, and if the protagonist tells me he likes smoking once more I'll set fire to him. Also, Mr Leather, Brixton isn't an edgy crime-filled ghetto where people are scared to go. I bet he lives in north London. Reminds me of the Dennis Wheatley novels I used to borrow from my grandad when I was little. I remember taking one to English class and the teacher being horrified. I suspect not from the plot. I was pretty much parented by Hammer Horror and the Devil.

« Reply #3469 on: 29 August, 2014, 09:20:27 pm »
I tried 'Shakespeare' on my tame German yesterday and he had no probs - I think maybe I misread Bledlow's post and it was Japanese people who can't say it...
Nah. I said Mrs B has no trouble with it. Her family has samurai swords which they've been passing down for hundreds of years & a kamikaze pilot commemorated at Yasukuni, so I think you can work out whether she's German.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3470 on: 29 August, 2014, 11:03:21 pm »
It may not be a reading book as such (unless you count the introduction to each region/chapter) but a book I cannot leave alone is Claudia Roden's "Italy", I spend ages reading through it enjoying the anecdotes, probably the most picked up book at the moment, a lovely book.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

« Reply #3471 on: 30 August, 2014, 10:17:40 am »
Martin Amis was worth reading once upon a time, back when he had something to say and an interesting way of saying it. Like the Rolling Stones or I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, he has become a pastiche of himself.

I found Bring Up The Bodies an easier read than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

No one should ever need to feel ashamed of their reading choices. I might pass judgment on the quality of a writer's work but that doesn't imply judgment of the person who reads it.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3472 on: 30 August, 2014, 11:36:59 am »
It may not be a reading book as such (unless you count the introduction to each region/chapter) but a book I cannot leave alone is Claudia Roden's "Italy", I spend ages reading through it enjoying the anecdotes, probably the most picked up book at the moment, a lovely book.

Her book "The Food of Spain" is one I can, happily, read againand again. Less a cookbook than a journey through the history of food of that region.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

« Reply #3473 on: 30 August, 2014, 12:17:24 pm »
I've mentioned it before but I'll mention it again: Claudia Roden's Book of Jewish Food is a joy to read for its own sake, even if you never cook a single recipe from it.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3474 on: 30 August, 2014, 12:29:29 pm »
Was: MI9: Escape and Evasion, by Foot and Langley, about the relatively obscure department which helped train people (particularly aircrew, who were not so easily replaced) for evasion and escape in Europe (and Asia, but less so due to the circumstances).  Not a recent book, and some of the files which they mention they couldn't use should now be available, but nonetheless fascinating for that.  There are interesting nuances, such as the automatic assumption that the reader will know about the massacre at Sagan ('The Great Escape' where many of the escapers were shot after recapture).  Feels dated in its approach, but is 'of its time'.

Is: Fat Chance by Lustig.  Interesting.  I know he's supposed to be the in thing in sugar-blaming.  I'm reserving judgement for now.

Next up: Float: Pilkington's glass revolution by Bricknell.  Found it in the £1 pile in the bookshop and couldn't resist.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…