Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846623 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #3650 on: 14 January, 2015, 05:47:43 pm »
Tacitus - the complete works

That is "The Histories" "The Annals" and "Germania". Just had the 2009 Everyman edition in hardback delivered today and its gorgeous. It's the 19th century translation by Alfred John Church and William Jackson Brodribb which has been a standard for a lot of the last century. It has a long forward by Robin Lane Fox and notes etc added by Eleanor Cowan. Its hardback on lovely paper with a bookmark and great typesetting. A bargain for £10, that's hardly more than a slim Penguin Classics paperback.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3651 on: 15 January, 2015, 12:46:32 pm »
Popped over to Wantage the other day to visit a real ale pub called The Shoulder of Mutton, OMG what a pub but that's for another thread, we stumbled upon a most amazing second hand bookshop (Regent Furniture and Books in Newbury Street) think Cemetery of Forgotten Books in The Shadow of the Wind, lots of tiny alcoves rammed with books.
     Anyway I got Four Tales by Joseph Conrad (The Worlds Classics series) and am getting stuck into that, I shall have to save up, borrow a trailer and go over there again.
                        Oh yes, and the beer in the pub was excellent although Barbara was sat there as I stuck my nose into my book

:facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3652 on: 15 January, 2015, 06:14:10 pm »
Happy to lend you a trailer quint  :)!.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3653 on: 16 January, 2015, 10:52:40 am »
Cheers  8)  Happy new year to you and many trouble free miles   ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3654 on: 16 January, 2015, 10:55:42 am »
Finished the Tim Moore book and now am on "The Empty Throne" by Bernard Cornwall.

Quite good, but his description of which Uthred it is narrating the book is a bit tedious.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3655 on: 19 January, 2015, 06:33:20 pm »
Conundrum, by Jan Morris. I first read this book when it was suggested to me by what I now perceive to have been a remarkably clear-sighted librarian, when I was around fourteen. One of two formative pieces in my understanding of life, the other being the hatchet job on April Ashley I read in '69 or '70.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3656 on: 24 January, 2015, 05:54:05 pm »
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. Actually made me say "what the fuck?" out loud on the bus the other day. Luckily it was the 14 and nobody noticed.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3657 on: 25 January, 2015, 03:12:52 pm »
I quite enjoy Lee Child's offerings, I don't mind admitting. Just finished one which reminded me to share the name of a baddie (now written out) - Randy Pope  ;D

« Reply #3658 on: 25 January, 2015, 03:57:48 pm »
I've enjoyed this, it's a Pratchett / Douglas Adams tale of mystic Devon folk, and only a couple of quid on Kindle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bubble-Time-Lyonnesse-Tales-Book-ebook/dp/B00BNWH4KI

tiermat

« Reply #3659 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:41:17 pm »
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. Actually made me say "what the fuck?" out loud on the bus the other day. Luckily it was the 14 and nobody noticed.

A bit odd, I found.  Might return to it and actually finish it, sometime.

Meanwhile I am reading "The Art of Asking" by Amanda Palmer.

"Who?" I hear you ask? Well she is the wife of one Neil Gaiman and used to be the front person of a "Dark Cabaret Act" called Dresden Dolls.

A useful book that has already managed to make me £8500, just by asking...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3660 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:52:13 pm »

Meanwhile I am reading "The Art of Asking" by Amanda Palmer.

"Who?" I hear you ask? Well she is the wife of one Neil Gaiman and used to be the front person of a "Dark Cabaret Act" called Dresden Dolls.

A useful book that has already managed to make me £8500, just by asking...

They haven't officially split, have they?

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3661 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:56:18 pm »
Dead Girl Walking by Chris Brookmyre - It's a Jack Parlabane novel but has the feel more of his recent Jasmine Sharp novels (Parlabane is less smug for one thing due to both circumstances and writing style I felt).

Very much enjoyed and inhaled in half a day.

tiermat

« Reply #3662 on: 26 January, 2015, 05:07:59 pm »
@Mr B

Who? Dresden Dolls? Not officially, IIRC they are still on their extended hiatus.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3663 on: 26 January, 2015, 05:17:47 pm »
@Mr B

Who? Dresden Dolls? Not officially, IIRC they are still on their extended hiatus.

Yep, them.

tiermat

« Reply #3664 on: 26 January, 2015, 05:20:01 pm »
@Mr B

Yep, them.

I think she is too busy being Mrs Gaiman, writing books and meditating to go back on the road.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3665 on: 26 January, 2015, 09:54:00 pm »

Finished it. Loved it.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3666 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:40:31 pm »
...onto Fellowship which I seem to have on both my Kindle and in paperback. I'm going for the Kindle version mostly because the paperback is starting to fall apart.

Fellowship done, and I need a break from the Tolkien already. I don't seem to have the mental energy to read another book that big, so I've gone for something lighter - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3667 on: 27 January, 2015, 05:29:14 pm »
Been bingeing on Wodehouse lately...

The Small Bachelor - based on a musical he co-wrote with Guy Bolton and dates from 1927, so very much golden era Wodehouse. Brilliantly bafflingly convoluted plot. Very funny.

The White Feather - 1907, an early school story about a boy's attempt to recover his honour following an episode of cowardliness. Pretty good on the whole, but still very much the work of a writer learning his craft and discovering his style. A definite improvement on The Gold Bat (1904) but not yet as polished as Mike (1909), which is easily the best of his school books. A few unfortunate signs of an "of its era" outlook (you'd have to call Wodehouse institutionally racist rather than maliciously racist but you would hope for better from someone of his apparent intelligence).

Uncle Fred In The Springtime - 1939, yet another Blandings story involving people posing as other people and attempted pig theft. I don't particularly mind his habit of rehashing storylines but this feels a bit stale compared to Blandings classics such as Leave It To Psmith and Summer Lightning. Meh.

Money For Nothing - 1928, another bona fide classic, this time featuring the notorious criminals Dolly and Soapy Molloy and Chimp Twist, who are among my favourite recurring Wodehouse characters. Not one of his very best but still wonderful by most normal standards.

Tales Of St Austins - 1903, a collection of short school stories, all of which had previously appeared in The Public School magazine. A lot of in jokes that you'd probably only get if you attended a minor English public school at the turn of the century. Plotting is thin - extremely thin by Wodehouse standards - but there are some good lines. Interesting mainly for its historical value.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #3668 on: 04 February, 2015, 12:42:09 am »
My Idea Of Fun - Will Self

First read this about 20 years ago when it was new. Loved it at the time. Now, rediscovering it, I feel it possibly deserves to be considered a genuine classic, albeit still the work of an immature writer. Not perfect but quite brilliant. And very funny.

Also, wtf was he on when he wrote it? At a conservative estimate... everything.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3669 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:48:23 am »
Poor Things - Alasdair Gray.

Strange fellow, Gray, almost sadistic in his writing. Not what people think of as satire these days - much more grotesque, and fascinating.

Some rat walked off with my Penguin 60 of Five Letters from an Eastern Empire>:(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3670 on: 04 February, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »
My Idea Of Fun - Will Self

First read this about 20 years ago when it was new. Loved it at the time. Now, rediscovering it, I feel it possibly deserves to be considered a genuine classic, albeit still the work of an immature writer. Not perfect but quite brilliant. And very funny.

Also, wtf was he on when he wrote it? At a conservative estimate... everything.

OTOH it wasn't my idea of fun :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #3671 on: 04 February, 2015, 01:42:07 pm »
OTOH it wasn't my idea of fun :(

Indeed, I remember you expressing that opinion before. It's partly because of discussions here of Mr Self's work that I decided to re-read it - it's such a long time since I first read it that my recollection of it is scant to say the least, besides which I was so much younger and greener then and I'm interested to see if I feel differently about it now I'm older and wiser(ish).

Unlike Donna Tartt's Secret History, which I *HATED* on re-reading as a grown-up, I'm finding that MIOF has actually improved with age.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3672 on: 04 February, 2015, 01:47:53 pm »
I may have to give it another go; it must be the thick end of ten years since ai read it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

« Reply #3673 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:14:25 pm »
Finished Rivers of London and have moved onto Moon Over Soho.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3674 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:43:30 pm »
This http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dancing-Big-Eunice-Frontline-Fractured/dp/1906817286/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I bought it a few years ago and lent it to a social worker who promptly changed jobs and never returned the book. So I bought a new copy. A friend of mine knows Alistair Findlay and says in some parts of West Lothian, where social work children's services used to be known as "prevention of cruelty to children," he wouold knock at the doors and be announced as "the cruelty's here."